Home
Ruff's up 57% Sharptail steady!!
Last year was a very good year. Can't wait to get my new Browning Cyenery Feather out in the woods.

Mn DNR

News Release
Ruffed grouse counts up, sharp-tailed grouse similar to last year

July 10, 2017

Minnesota’s ruffed grouse spring drumming counts were up 57 percent statewide this year compared to last year, according to a survey conducted by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

“The grouse population is nearing its 10-year peak,” said Charlotte Roy, DNR grouse project leader. “Grouse populations tend to rise and fall on a decade-long cycle and counts this year are typical of what we expect as the population nears the peak.”

Drumming is a low sound produced by males as they beat their wings rapidly and in increasing frequency to signal the location of their territory. Drumming displays also attract females that are ready to begin nesting. Ruffed grouse populations are surveyed by counting the number of male ruffed grouse heard drumming on established routes throughout the state’s forested regions.

Drumming counts are an indicator of the ruffed grouse breeding population. The number of birds present during the fall hunting season also depends upon nesting success and chick survival during the spring and summer. For the past 68 years, DNR biologists have monitored ruffed grouse populations. This year, DNR staff and cooperators from 15 organizations surveyed 122 routes across the state.

The 2017 survey results for ruffed grouse were 2.1 drums per stop statewide. The averages during 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 were 0.9 and 1.1 and 1.1 and 1.3, respectively. Counts vary from about 0.6 drums per stop during years of low grouse abundance to about 2.0 during years of high abundance.

Results this year follow an increase from 2015 to 2016. In the northeast survey region, which is the core of Minnesota’s grouse range, counts were 2.5 drums per stop; in the northwest there were 1.6 drums per stop; in the central hardwoods, 0.9 drums per stop; and in the southeast, 0.8 drums per stop. Statewide, drums per stop were as high as during the last peak in drumming in 2009, but have not yet reached previous peak levels in all regions.

Hunting prospects
For grouse hunters, the large increase in drumming counts this year is sure to be a signal of good times ahead during the fall season, said Ted Dick, DNR forest game bird coordinator.

“We’re excited about the way things are looking,” he said. “We have more good grouse habitat than anywhere in the lower 48 states.”

Grouse hunters have a wealth of public land from which to choose. There are 49 ruffed grouse management areas across northern and central Minnesota that provide destinations for hunters in areas with good potential for producing grouse. There are 528 wildlife management areas in the ruffed grouse range that cover nearly 1 million acres and 600 miles of hunter walking trails. State forests, two national forests and county forest lands also offer many additional acres of public land for hunting.

“Grouse hunting need not be complicated and it’s another way to experience the outdoors in the fall,” Dick said. “Combine all that with our grouse numbers nearing peak and this is shaping up to be a great year to try grouse hunting for those who haven’t.”

Sharp-tailed grouse counts similar to last year
To count sharp-tailed grouse, observers look for males displaying on traditional mating areas, which are called leks or dancing grounds.

“The average number of sharp-tailed grouse was similar this year compared to 2016,” Roy said.

The data on sharp-tailed grouse take some interpretation, because survey results can be influenced by how many leks are counted or changes in how many birds are at each lek year to year.

Comparisons of the same leks counted in both years indicate that counts per lek were similar to last year in both survey regions and statewide. This year’s statewide average of 9.7 sharp-tailed grouse per lek was similar to the long-term average since 1980. The 2009 average of 13.6 was as high as during any year since 1980. During the last 25 years, the sharp-tailed grouse index has been as low as seven birds counted per dancing ground.

The DNR’s 2017 grouse survey report and grouse hunting information can be found at mndnr.gov/hunting/grouse.
I'm headed up for my 1st Grouse hunt this fall. Can't wait.
Might have to head to the Midwest again this year!
Early season walk trails and edges of different cover. The young birds sometimes flush and sit in a tree or bush to see what made them fly. Its your ethics which dictate to shoot a sitting bird.
As the season progresses, birds congregate where berries remain along with clover (cut trails). You will get an occasional woodcock as the native population is co-mingled with migrating birds from Canada. No need for any migratory stamps for woodcock. Bring a close working dog that obeys commands and a 20 gauge with 7 1/2" or 8's early and 6's later in the season. Brush up of the regs for state and federal management land necessitating steel shot. I use steel for everything as it is simpler.
This info gets published and Ruffed Grouse Society writes it up and my 40 gets shot out before my niece can get a day off to hunt it.
Last time I got there in grouse season, there was a Suburban from Georgia parked in my road next to the No Trespassing signs. They had
just ran their dogs on all my trails.....WTF?
A hint of caution in regards to drumming counts. These only refer to the number of males heard drumming during the study time, it does not measure the number of females that survived the winter nor the success of the hatch which came later. It has a general applicability but weather at the time of hatch has a very large influence on fall numbers.

My personal observation has been slightly better numbers from last year but local conditions have varied greatly. One area I often hunt has been hit regularly with rain in May and early June with an obvious affect on chick numbers. Closer to home weather was more favorable but I haven't found a brood yet. Not sure what is going on, I suspect chance has been in the bird's favor and I'll find them soon. A third place has great numbers but it was logged 12 years ago and is entering its prime for birds.

The latter is the key, find areas that were logged a dozen to 25 years ago and there should be good bird numbers, at least good for the area. I've concentrated on those types of areas and have had good hunting no matter the drumming counts. Hunt the young aspen growths and one will always find some birds. These are also good areas for woodcock and become great if there are some damp spots scattered around.
Originally Posted by VernAK
This info gets published and Ruffed Grouse Society writes it up and my 40 gets shot out before my niece can get a day off to hunt it.
Last time I got there in grouse season, there was a Suburban from Georgia parked in my road next to the No Trespassing signs. They had

Hate to hear the slobs have worked your property. No excuse for trespassing, when posted.
Originally Posted by VernAK

so did you take them to court for trespassing?

BS that folks will trespass when there is plenty of public to hunt,,,
I saw that. I'm very happy for you guys. And hope the trend continies
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I saw that. I'm very happy for you guys. And hope the trend continies

What he said.
Posted By: tzone Re: MN GROUSE DRUMMING COUNTS IN - 07/20/17
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm headed up for my 1st Grouse hunt this fall. Can't wait.

Where you headed?
I took the dog out this past weekend to snoop around. We were NE of Hibbing Saturday and kicked around some hot spots I know outside of Virginia Sunday.
My GWP and I are pumped. I'm closing my shop down for four days for the opener. I have close to 1k rounds through my new Feather already. Going to be nice covering all that ground with a nice light gun.
you guys are KILLING me with those reports,,,,,,,

looking forward to chasing some this fall,,,,,,may even pull of that grouse boondoggle I have half butted planned,,,but if nothing else I'll be on them (what few we have) here in NC mountains,,,,,,,,
The MN DNR puts these "reports" out yearly to boost small game license sales 😂
yeah, I know - it's never a "bad" spring!

grew up in northern Wisconsin hunting,,,,,never hunted Minnesota,,,,,,doubt I do anytime soon but I am on my way to hunting all 50 states for something before I leave this planet,,,,,,,,,,
Awesome! It's been too long since I've pounded the grouse woods!
I'm doing the 50 state thing myself for birds with my dogs. I have seven states left but doubt I will get all 50 as bringing a dog into Hawaii is a pain. I often hunt WI too, the population trends tend to follow MN the following year.

The MN DNR is fairly honest with their bird counts, they do report poor results as well as listing weather conditions during the surveys and how they can affect counts. I browse the grouse reports but don't place a lot of faith on them as it measures only drumming males, not broods. I base my expectations more on the August pheasant roadside counts than the grouse though they are with a grain of salt. I base my trips in part on these counts but I hunt alone most of the time so only a couple of birds are needed for a good day.
© 24hourcampfire