Home
Anyone here have experience hunting Grouse / Huns /Chuckar in this area?
Ask most chukar or hun hunters in Wyoming where to find the birds, and they’ll tell you to head to the Bighorn Basin.

HOWEVER the best time to hunt is later in the year and it can be very cold and you might get snowed in! You can wake up to 18" of snow.

While it is warm, rattle snakes are present.
Because of my schedule I need to go somewhere in the middle of September. I had planned on going to Montana, but the severe drought has me second guessing. I'm exploring all other options. This is a first for me so I'm flying blind
Just go to Montana, if that is what you had planned. Huns and chukars love dry conditions anyway. You might not though.
I have hunted both the basin & Montana.. Montana gets my vote every time.. Few chukars there howeverđź‘Ť
Order the Hunting Access Guide (Block Management Program) and the Access Guide (Upland Game Bird) form MT Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Study it closely. Visit their office in Miles City they can be very helpful. Hunt out from there to Baker.
Id also consider grouse that time of year. Numbers are good this year and see some beautiful country

I only hunt early colder mornings for huns and chukars because of snakes and the dog in the early season.
Ribka, are you referring to sharp tail grouse?
What type of country are they found in? Will they hold well for a pointing dog?
© 24hourcampfire