Home
Posted By: luv2safari Ultimate Upland - 02/23/19
I hunted snow cock several times and never returned with a bird in hand. The third time I made the climb I dumped one over the ridge. When I got to the edge it was easily a 1,500 foot drop. An hour later I made it to the bottom about where the bird should have been. It was now about 9:30 in the morning. After climbing as high as I could on that side of the face and hunting it out completely everywhere I could get to darkness ended the search, and I had to siwash it at the base, still very hing up in the Rubies. I never found feathers or the bird. This is no country for a bird dog, so I didn't have help.

This short video was just released, and it's an honest statement about hunting those devil birds. These were very lucky hunters to have each scored on our ultimate upland challenge. It opens in the middle, so go to the start. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul7XJmBoGeg&t=226s

Posted By: sierraHunter Re: Ultimate Upland - 03/15/19
Great short video. Thanks for posting. I had never heard of these before. Having hunted above 10k in this type of terrain I could relate to how hard this would be to find, to shoot and to recover the game when successful. Again, thanks for posting!
Posted By: ribka Re: Ultimate Upland - 03/15/19
Thanks for sharing

I just drove through N Nevada by Rubies

Snow cocks are on my to do list this fall
Posted By: pointer Re: Ultimate Upland - 03/19/19
Got a pard that's killed a half doz of them. I went with him on one trip. None taken, but we did see a couple. The area we were hunting was not dog friendly. I expect mine would have ended up going off a cliff. Very neat bird in some cool country.
© 24hourcampfire