Home
Posted By: Tarbe New to Me Shiloh - 08/02/20
Picked up yesterday in Bowie.

My first Sharps of any kind. My 6th 45-70...been playing with that sweet cartridge since 1975.

It is a Creedmoor Silhouette built in 2011.

I am studying up on BP and PP. Have a 457125 on the way, and had an NOE 400gr FP hunting boolit mould. Will probably even shoot smokeless and jacketed, when nobody is looking. smile I'm a longs ways off from getting a PP boolit mould - lots of ignorance to wipe away.

Several folks here have already shared wisdom with me. Thanks a bunch!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_1710small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1708small.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1709small.jpg
Posted By: pacecars Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/02/20
Very nice! Welcome to the Shiloh addiction.
Posted By: 1minute Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/02/20
Now you've done it.
Posted By: saddlering Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/02/20
Sweet looking Rifle! I was into them for 10 years! and killed alot of stuff with them! Have been missing the BP cart. guns, maybe try it again one day!
Posted By: TimZ Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/03/20
Man, that is pretty.....
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/03/20
Wow!!! What a piece of lumber!! Shiloh's are fine rifles....I have two!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/03/20
Damn nice! Congrats Tarbe, hope you get a good hunting load worked up and make some meat for the freezers this season.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/05/20
Thanks for letting me share my excitement...it is one stunning rifle and if I can shoot it half as good as it looks, I will have it made!

Now to enter the world of grease cookies, veg wads, massive powder compression, paper jackets, blow tubes and bore pigs! smile
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn nice! Congrats Tarbe, hope you get a good hunting load worked up and make some meat for the freezers this season.

I definitely need to hunt with her.

I have a NOE 405gr WFN boolit mould that just might do the trick!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/05/20
Originally Posted by Tarbe

You're going to have a blast with that beauty in more ways than one Tarbe, let the fun begin!
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by Tarbe

You're going to have a blast with that beauty in more ways than one Tarbe, let the fun begin!

It is really fun venturing into a new discipline. This BPCR game is quite a bit different from high-power, or African DG stuff.

They always say you don't know what you don't know....but I am learning there is a lot....that I don't know!

Like tonight...playing with sight installation. Dang, those dovetails are TIGHT! shocked
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/08/20
Wyoming Sight Drifter will be money well spent and a good friend to your rifles.
Posted By: pacecars Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Wyoming Sight Drifter will be money well spent and a good friend to your rifles.

That is a very handy gadget. I just used mine to install a rear sight on a Winchester 71.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/08/20
Originally Posted by Ranch13

What a nifty tool!

Just goes to prove my point....I have just learned something new...again!

Sight drifter is on the way!

Thanks,

Tim
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/20/20
Sight drifter did the trick!

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_1741small.jpg
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/21/20
Beautiful!
Just picked up my 2nd BPCR, A Shiloh Sharps Montana Rough Rider
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 08/24/20
I think something like the Rough Rider would be most practical. Hunting with my set-up will be tough...won't be a stalking rifle for sure!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/01/20
cool We're ready for a shooting report, you got her up and busting centers Tarbe?
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/02/20
I have had it out to the range 3 times so far, but shooting cast greasers and smokeless just to familiarize.

I just started playing with the paper patch template tonight for the first time. Ugh...cutting patches is a PIA! I sure hope I get better with practice. Spent 20 minutes to get 50 patches and my neck was sore and my nerves were shot! smile

I have a small supply (about 200 total) of 450 and 500 grain slicks for my eventual foray into PP/BP.

I also cast up some 457125 and pan-lubed them with SPG. Loaded them up with 30gr of H4198 for 100 and 200 yard shooting.

Was working at my place in MO for three days this past weekend, and will take a 4 day weekend up there over Labor day. Plus I still work full-time "for the man"...so time to play with the new toy has been precious!

I did manage to hit the 200 yard gong twice in a row off-hand! That was a thrill. I WON'T tell you how many times I missed it! haha
Posted By: pacecars Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/02/20
I have found a good large paper cutter works well
Posted By: domit Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/02/20
very stylish , green with envy !
Posted By: Tarbe Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/02/20
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have found a good large paper cutter works well

We have a nifty one in the office...I will try it if we ever open the freaking office again! frown

May just have to sneak in there and liberate it.
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: New to Me Shiloh - 09/05/20
Beautiful wood on that one!
Posted By: BMLEE Re: New to Me Shiloh - 12/16/20
Beautiful rifle!

Bryan
© 24hourcampfire