Home
Posted By: pacecars Bill Goodman just called! - 09/23/20
He said my .50-90 Business Rifle just arrived!
Congrads Brother! I rember talking to him about 20 years ago, and ended up buying a Shilo carbine in 50-70 Dam I wish I still had that one!
Hell of a deal, now get that thing filed on where the bullet is landing 5 inches on top of the front sight at 100 and you're ready to kill some game this season, Congrats!
BOOM!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
BOOM!

LOL, Big 50's do BOOM, I heard it again in the drum killer video Wife sent You, that 50 rumbled across the face of the mountain behind the farm all the way to Arkansas, state line is 5 miles away! cool
Billy Dixon, big fifty....

DF
'Ol Pacecars is going to be rattling coconuts outta those trees down Florida way! cool
Hope one of Quantah Parker's Comanche buds wasn't sitting on a pony over near the AR line when that old 50 went BOOM... shocked

laugh

DF
May have caused a 'brave' to loose an indian taco in his buckskins ; ]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 09/26/20
I want to shoot near some houses to see if I can rattle some windows.
Posted By: deltakid Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 09/26/20
Sounds like Christmas is early this year! Congrats.
Originally Posted by pacecars
I want to shoot near some houses to see if I can rattle some windows.

When you light 120 grains OE 2FG under a 700+ grain bullet, you'll rattle more than windows ; ]
Originally Posted by gunner500
May have caused a 'brave' to loose an indian taco in his buckskins ; ]

Don't ya know... shocked

laugh

DF
laugh!
What twist rate does your rifle have? MB
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 09/27/20
1:22
Arrived at "Goodman's House of Shiloh's" on 9/23/2020

Today is 10/06/2020

13 Days from arrival....................................where are the pictures??????

You or Bill come down with the COVID or something???

You haven't sold this one already too have you?
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/07/20
According to tracking it should be here on Thursday. The only bad thing about Bill is he doesn’t take debit or credit cards so you are at the mercy of snail mail which is very slow lately. I sent it Priority Mail and it still took a while to get there. Bill said it has some rich dark wood. I do plan on keeping this one for a while, of course I have said that before. A “Big 50” has been a bucket list gun and my goal is to eliminate the list. Pics will be posted as soon as I get it home
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/08/20
Out for delivery!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/08/20
I took some quick pics inside with bad lighting and will get some better ones tomorrow if it isn’t raining
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tmitch Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/08/20
Sweet!
Good looking B gun only changes I would have made is the 1 in 36 twist and a original style tight chamber. Mb
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/09/20
I will mostly shoot paper patch but would like to be able to shoot grease groove also and haven’t had any problem with paper patch with the standard chamber in .40 and .44 and .45 rifles
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/11/20
PC,

I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty to lighten up that Purdy shooter so I can see that wood.
That sure is a fine looking shooter for sure. Now I want to see some holes through some hide or paper. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 10.40.42 AM.jpeg
Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 10.52.58 AM 2.jpeg
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/11/20
I keep looking at this fine shooter and I think there is only one thing I would change and that is the rear sight. I would replace that buckhorn with a Lawrence, for two reasons for hunting that tall ear buckhorn will dig in the hand because it's right at the balance point where you carry it.
And second you have several preset set of elevations for quick shots. But again with the buck horn you also have that option but you would have to take time to learn how the use the ranging features of the full buckhorn. It has 4 one can use with some practice.
I wish my .50 looked like yours.

It has a nice straight grain I the wrist where you need the strength for a thumper like the big .50.

[Linked Image]
Kurt

Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 11.11.43 AM.jpeg
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/13/20
Thanks! Weather has still been too crappy for outside pics. Tomorrow should be good though. I just weighed it and it is was exactly 11 lbs. The wood looks really good
I see a recoil headache in the near future.
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/13/20
And a football helmet to keep from getting a split lip LOL
Maybe even a mouth piece so not to ci]hip a tooth. LOL.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/13/20
These are a little better

I would be afraid to scratch that thing, and never put it on anything but soft cloth... Beautiful rifle.
Great! beautiful rifle pacecars, get that thing ready for the hunt, have any hunts planned/booked this season?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/18/20
Sweet looking rifle, by one of the finest gun makers in the US. Good luck with the coming efforts.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/20/20
Just cast some bullets with the KAL I got from Gunner500. I did 1.485 inch long and came out with 670 gr bullets. Got them patched up and ready to load.
Good stuff pacecars, Yessir, you need a very large casting pot to hold a lot of lead alloy.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/21/20
Very nice looking rifle!

Boooom!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Goodman just called! - 10/23/20
Shot the .50-90 Business Rifle today. Recoil was not bad. I was shooting a cast 670 gr paper patch bullets over 100 grs of Goex FFg. I fired 10 shots without wiping and since I don’t have a blow tube yet I did the Quigley method of blowing in the chamber. This was the 9th shot and for it and the 10th shot I did have to push harder to chamber them. I then wiped and fired 10 more. I just wanted to shoot it and wasn’t concerned with accuracy because I am going to replace the front sight with an old Hartford style from Stephen Borud when it gets here and I am thinking about changing the buckhorn out for a semi buckhorn or Lawrence rear sight
https://youtu.be/z_qrZkscXnE
Nice, recoil begins to show it's ugly head North of 700 grains with 120+ grains of powder and over 1350 fps, you can kill anything loafing along at 650-700grs at 1200 fps.
It is amazing how much powder that case can hold! I also sighted in my Winchester 71 .348 and that thing with 200 gr bullets will beat the crap out of you after a while
Yes, 130grs of Goex 1FG will go in easily through a drop tube, I use that powder with a 700gr grease groove government bullet, it's kind of slow at 1158 fps, that wont matter to the recipient.
Congratulations, sir! That's a beautiful rifle!

Ed
Beautiful wood!
Very nice indeed, congrats.
© 24hourcampfire