Home
Posted By: Riflecrank Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/14/21
gunner500 may be writing a poem called "Ode to Saint Bagwell."
He sent some inspirational images to be posted here, with thoughts on Saint Bagwell:

"Pic 1, Old buffalo rifle in half cock with firing pin pulled firmly to the rear from the new firing pin Saint Bagwell gave and installed for me, there's also a new firing pin inside he turned down on his lathe."

[Linked Image]

"Pic 2, The small screw between the triggers is one Saint Bagwell saved in his box for over 30 years, said he always knew he'd need it someday, he installed that and set my triggers on the old 45-110 buffalo rifle."

[Linked Image]

"Pic 3, The shot from the video at 700 yards landed a bit right and high using the factory barrel ladder hunting sight and old copper penny front, high and right stands to reason, Saint Bagwell was often high and right, high on knowledge, ethics, history, friendship, dedication and morals, and damn right on everything else ; ] " (There is a video of this shot at the 700-yard gong by gunner500, I need to figure out where to post it.)

[Linked Image]

Pic 4: "Headed out to the shop to trim 458 Win Mag+ brass, along for the trip was Saint Bagwell Damascus Bowie, Model 70 458 Win Mag+, Colt LW Commander 38 Super, and my favorite sweatshirt for ardotcom members and liberals the world over!"

[Linked Image]

Bill would get a chuckle out of that sweatshirt. I sure did !

[Linked Image]

Above image was heading up an obituary: https://www.vivianfuneralhome.com/obituary/bill-bagwell

BILL'S OBITUARY
Bill Bagwell was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, on January 11, 1944 to Alice Posey Bagwell and William Bagwell. He grew up in rural northwest Louisiana and was introduced to the outdoors at an early age by his uncles, who were avid hunters and fishermen. Bill was also a talented athlete and lettered in football, baseball, and track during his high school career. His senior year at North Caddo High School saw him named to the High School All-American Football team as a tackle, and he attended Louisiana Tech University on a football scholarship. He also attended Northwestern State University and had an educational background in engineering, English, and history.

Bill was always fascinated by knives. He made his first knife at the age of 10 from an old saw. While he was in high school he began to forge knives in the industrial arts shop, and by the time he was 15 he was forging hunting and Bowie knives as a hobby. He made and sold knives while he was in college and became a full-time professional bladesmith in 1969. Bill's skill and talent as a bladesmith was due in part to the fact that he grew up in an area that was rich in the lore of James Bowie and the early history of both Texas and Louisiana. The Bowie knife played a prominent role in the early history of the area, and the young Bill wanted a good one for himself. Since none were available for purchase, he began to make his own. Bill always sought excellence, and his early quest for a better Bowie knife ultimately brought his knives to the point where they are today.

Bill was one of the true pioneers in the making of Damascus blades in the United States. He completed his first successful Damascus blade on December 1, 1973, after about six months of trial and failure. In early 1976, with the late Don Hastings, B.R. Hughes and Bill Moran, Bill became one of the founding members of the American Bladesmith Society and wrote the original charter for that organization. He also served as the society's first secretary and was on its first board of directors.

Bill lectured on blades and forging at the University of Wyoming at Dubois, the University of Florida at Tallahassee, and Texarkana College at its facility at Black's Forge in Washington, Arkansas. Bill also made wootz steel and began work in that field in 1979.

In 1984, Bill became the knife editor for Soldier Of Fortune magazine, and the monthly "Battle Blades" column was begun under his byline. He continued to write the column until 1988 when pressing family matters called him to Belize for 18 months. Upon his return from Belize, Bill resumed his knifemaking career. Paladin Press released the long-awaited anthology of Bill's "Battle Blades" columns, entitled Bowies, Big Knives, and the Best of Battle Blades. Advance copies were on display at the Soldier Of Fortune Convention in Las Vegas.

In September 1995, Bill attended the prestigious Paris Knife Show, where one of his Damascus Bowies won the award for the best fixed-bladed Damascus knife at the show. The following spring he was commissioned to go to Theirs, France, and conduct a forging and knifemaking demonstration by the Theirs Department of Commerce and Industry.

Bill focused his knife energies on his "Hell's Belle" fighting Bowies. The Hell's Belle is acknowledged by many to be the finest fighting Bowie knife ever made, and those examples hand-forged and made by Bill himself were without a doubt, in a class by themselves. Bill's research and studies into tactics and application of the fighting Bowie knife in a combat environment have not gone unnoticed, as he served as an instructor to selected units of the U.S. Army's Special Forces at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.

Bill was also an accomplished rifle shot. His primary interest was in black powder firearms, and he served as a consultant to GOEX from 1993 - 2009. His love of the outdoors remained strong over the years, and his interest in history led him to study the arms and weapons of early America. While Bill's early studies were focused on muzzleloaders (which ultimately led him to good Hawken rifles), he also developed the knowledge and skills necessary to shoot the black powder cartridge rifles. The long-range marksmanship of the buffalo hunters of the plains was not just legend, and Bill could take a Sharps rifle and hit a gallon jug at a quarter of a mile with cast lead bullets, black powder, and iron sights.

Bill was a rarity in today's world. He was a man at the top of his game who did exactly what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it. He is survived by his wife Sidra Bagwell to whom he was happily married for 24 years."

Memorial funeral services will be held at 2 PM on Saturday, February 27, 2021 at Gorsulowsky Funeral Home Chapel in Vivian, Louisiana.

More here:

ABS FOUNDING MEMBER BILL BAGWELL HAS PASSED AWAY

https://www.knifemagazine.com/abs-founding-member-bill-bagwell-has-passed-away/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

KNIFE Magazine is saddened to report the passing of legendary master bladesmith Bill Bagwell, one of the four founding members of the American Bladesmith Society. Bill became a full-time knifemaker in 1969 and is believed to have been the second modern bladesmith to achieve the making of pattern welded damascus steel. In addition to pattern welded steel, Bill also perfected cable damascus techniques and frequently used plain carbon steel in his blades as well.
Working from locations in Vivian, LA; Niceville, FL; Marietta, TX and a stint as the resident ‘smith at the recreated James Black forge in Washington, AR, Bagwell was influenced by early bowie knife designs and was keenly interested in knife fighting techniques. He built his reputation not only on his knives, but also on the knife writing he did for such magazines as Soldier of Fortune and Tactical Knives. He also authored a book: Bowies, Big Knives, and the Best of Battle Blades (2000). His knife combat techniques have even been taught as part of the Special Forces training at Ft. Bragg.

Two Bagwell fighting bowies. Top is an example of the “Hell’s Belle”.

[Linked Image]

Many of Bagwell’s bowies had long but well balanced blades that were very quick in the hand. His best known design is surely the “Hell’s Belle”, a slender coffin hilt with clip point blade and a C-shaped guard derived from the Bart Moore bowie. In the late 1990s Ontario Knife Co. offered a well executed production version of this knife and a couple more Bagwell designs, which have a strong collector following today.
A fiery and opinionated personality, Bill Bagwell pulled no punches and held strong to his convictions. This caused some rifts through the course of his career and has certainly denied him more recognition for his contributions to our community, but I don’t think that Bill cared. He was his own man, and all will agree that he was a skilled and dedicated bladesmith who made a hell of a fighting bowie and influenced a great many knifemakers and knife-fighting practitioners.
May he rest in peace.

Photos (of Bill at the forge) courtesy Sidra Bagwell.

gunner500 photographed his Bagwell Damascus Bowie:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/14/21
Ron, many, many Thanks for posting the pics Sir, i greatly appreciate it, our buddy Bagwell loved that old buffalo rifle, was just thinking about both yesterday, putting his teachings together for a test run proves he was right, and this old 152 year old buffalo rifle can still get it done.

The shot at 700 yards landing high and right in a big wind out of the East, oddly enough, on the Buffalo plains, and holding behind the shoulder of the buffalo as normal, that shot would have provided a mid center double shoulder hit, a dead buffalo, i held a little farther in the wind than needed at 700 yards.

Thank You Sir.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/14/21
great write up. I wish I could have met him . we lost a good book of info with his passing
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/15/21
Originally Posted by 44mc
great write up. I wish I could have met him . we lost a good book of info with his passing

Yes Sir 44MC, a whole 200 volume set of encyclopedias we lost. smile
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/15/21
Great write up and pics! I also wish I could have met the man. I had hoped to go on that hog hunt in Tenn. That year but couldn't get off work. Pics Great also! Got to Love them old Buff. Rifles.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/15/21
This is really sad news.

I was honored and privileged to have spent time with Bill at his home and on his range. He mentored me as well as many other 'Fire members on the fine points of shooting BPCR, Sharps rifles in particular.
He ground and fitted the copper penny front sight on my Shiloh 1874 and taught me how to properly use the barrel sights for shooting at ranges out past 1,000 yards.
The second time at his home range he coached me on shooting my, then new, .45-70 Sharps, and when the smoke cleared , I had put 115 full power 485gr cast bullet loads downrange. I didn't mind at all. He just sat there and grinned as I worked through all that ammo. grin

His knowledge of blades, firearms, and all things black powder was truly encyclopedic.

Yup, he held strong opinions and was sometimes abrupt with them, but you could always count on him speaking the truth.

I will truly miss him. This place has lost an artist, a mentor, and a friend.

Rest In Peace, Bill.

Ed
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/15/21
Very nicely written Ed.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/16/21
First time I ever bought anything on an ebay auction:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It may be a weak sister to the real thing, but remarkable enough for show and tell.
Maybe Ontario Knives will bring it back, as it seems to have some collector appeal,
Mrs. Bagwell might get some royalties from that.
5 years ago there was a 3-year wait for the real thing.
The price for a genuine Bagwell must have doubled at least on February 17, 2021.
4 figures instead of 3 figures now ?
Bill ain't making them anymore.
Pester Ontario Knives for the return of the Hell's Belle replica.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by saddlering
Great write up and pics! I also wish I could have met the man. I had hoped to go on that hog hunt in Tenn. That year but couldn't get off work. Pics Great also! Got to Love them old Buff. Rifles.

I missed this post, i wish you could have made that pig shoot too saddlering, Bill put on quite the show and tell with his Bowie's, he demonstrated the 5 lethal cuts deal, he done that on a piece of cardboard in less than one second, really spooky if you see and think about it for a sec.

It forged in my head were i to ever see anyone approaching in the wrong manner [look/stance] with a Bowie i would repeatedly shoot the shlt outta them.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/16/21
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
First time I ever bought anything on an ebay auction:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It may be a weak sister to the real thing, but remarkable enough for show and tell.
Maybe Ontario Knives will bring it back, as it seems to have some collector appeal,
Mrs. Bagwell might get some royalties from that.
5 years ago there was a 3-year wait for the real thing.
The price for a genuine Bagwell must have doubled at least on February 17, 2021.
4 figures instead of 3 figures now ?
Bill ain't making them anymore.
Pester Ontario Knives for the return of the Hell's Belle replica.

CONGRATS Sir Ron, that's a cool blade, did you know they call that handle the Coffin handle? NICE!
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/17/21
Jerry, is that a rhetorical question ? You do know that I have read Bill's book.
The coffin handle is sort of a streamlined version of the dogbone and bird's head handles,
without the glamor-pretenses of his ruby-eyed, eagle-motif, bird's head handles.
Just back to basics of a "Nawlins" knife handle with a design befitting the Hell's Belle name,
a master stroke of marketing like chopping a 2x4 with one blow.
Handles of black locust harvested from near the Sand Bar Fight are preferred, of course, or stag.
Can you image a coffin-shaped stag handle ? (Rhetorical question.)
That would be a nice trick.

" And if I had to be in a knife fight, what would I want more than a Bowie or kukri?
That's easy. I'd want a 12-gauge pump shotgun."

Bill Bagwell, in SOF February 1986
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/17/21
LOL, OOPS, i had forgot you found and purchased a copy of Saint Bagwells book, they're beautiful, very deadly works of art, if we ever get together on a hunt r meet for a steak dinner somewhere, i'll bring mine so you can feel the balanced speed, i cant explain it, you have to have it in hand.

BTW, the lead pot is heating up, the big 570gr Smerker mould is on the stove warming nicely, going to cast you some of those missiles and end em up to You

Did you know Mr. Smerker was an American Airlines pilot? with that, guess what he designed the nose of the big 458 cal Smerker bullet after, yep, a 747 Jumbo Jet, they fly through the air with relative grace and ease, so do his bullets. cool
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/17/21
Jerry,
I get it.
I need to try those 20/1 bullets grease-lubed and .458" diameter with a swift kick of BP.
Thanks.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/18/21
There is only one error in that on that the University of Florida is in Gainesville and FSU is in Tallahassee
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/18/21
Jerry,
I get it.
I need to try those 20/1 bullets grease-lubed and .458" diameter with a swift kick of BP.
Thanks.

Rah-Jah. cool
Sir Ron, great news! our friend Pacecars here says he can try to post the videos of the old 45-110 buffalo rifle in action, said he'd put em up in this thread! cool

Thanks Pacecars!
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/18/21
Alrighty then. Popcorn emoji here: happy happy

Photograph of incoming from OK:

[Linked Image]

gunner500 was well trained by Saint Bagwell.

Maybe I will divide them between a .458"-grooved McGowen (23" long, 1:14" twist) barreled .458 WM+ with BP
and a Pedersoli-barreled Ruger No. 1 that is supposed to be .458"-grooved but might have a little choke
down to .456" or 457" near the muzzle (28"long, 1:18" twist), .45-2.6"-Sharps Winchester-Throated, aka .45-70 Elko Magnum.
Yee ha !
Originally Posted by pacecars
There is only one error in that on that the University of Florida is in Gainesville and FSU is in Tallahassee

Yes, that local obituary might get the Seminoles riled up saying the Gators had moved into Tallahassee.
I was living there from '88 to '92. Wonder when Bill was lecturing on bladesmithing at FSU ?
LOL, BTW Sir Ron, you can see on the patched bullets, i long and short patched them, shoot to see if one or the other gives and accuracy/clearance difference, then record for further application. smile it was my sincere pleasure learning from Saint Bagwell, the guy was Gold.
Well, maybe shoot all the paper-patched in one rifle then, McGowen or Pedersoli ... decisions, decisions ...
Sheet! sounds like i need to fire the lead pot back up! shocked ; ]
What the heck, same powder charge of 85 grains FFg GOEX + 5 grains of 4759, half of each batch in each of two rifles,
but scope-sighted for these old eyes so as to better tell what is going on.
That will do for starters, plenty of bullets for now, thank you Sir Jerry.
I'll also paper-patch some of my AM 44-530P in air-cooled WW to tag along with same powder charge.
Original Sharps .45 2 7/8” at 100 yds
https://youtu.be/Z1wl4rhm4tA

Original Sharps .45 2 7/8” at 700 yds
https://youtu.be/aPnhXPvQmQ4
That'll work, whatever it takes, keep on keeping on Sir Ron, reminds me of an aging old bow hunting buddy, he called one day and said, well, i guess you wont be archery hunting with me anymore, i says, why? he says, well, because of my shoulder i had to buy a new crossbow today, i said you dont have it over here yet??, come on, we got to get you zeroed! grin

i'll be there soon enough; ]
UH-OH LOL, many Thanks Pacecars, i appreciate it Sir.
Good job pacecars AND gunner 500.
Copper penny front and about 4 seconds to hear and see the very loud smack on the gong. HD.
Thanks Sir Ron and Pacecars, i held near 8 feet into that guesstimated 10-12 mph variable full value East wind, firing Dew North, i knew Saint Bagwell was looking down and smiling, was thinking about him when the trigger broke, i didn't want to disappoint. smile
At first I thought you were gonna shoot the trailer! I figure that big ol hunk of lead should stop it
LOL, i need to sell that damn thing, hey, that's another trip to Africa sitting there gathering dust, alas, the calves sure like going under there and getting out of the summer sun ; ]

Man that Big 50 of yours sure is nice Pacecars, saw that video too.
It is a hoot to shoot with those big bullets!
I would still love to have an original though
I really do regret not taking Bill up on his offer to go shoot at his range. He said he would have me hitting his long range targets with my barrel sights in no time. That is a heck of a guy that would invite you to his home for shooting and dinner even though he only knew you from some posts and talking on the phone for a few hours
Hope to see you standing over a buffalo or big buck deer with that rifle someday Pacecars, the originals are big fun too, you wouldn't have ever forgotten a weekend spent at Bagwells, cutting patches, casting bullets, loading ammo, talking shop and soaking up info like a sun baked sponge, then shooting at his 500 yard range, all the while enjoying gourmet meals prepared by his lovely Wife.

It doesn't get any better.
Circa 1976 to 1984:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last image above, left to right, 3 bladesmiths, Don Hastings, Bill Bagwell , Bill Moran, and a Dean of Students at Texarkana College B. R. Hughes.
Four founders of American Bladesmith Society in 1976, if I read this correctly:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=117

B. R. Hughes wrote that and was referred to as another "Bill" in a quotation spoken by Bill Moran.
That would mean three Bills and a Don, above.
Originally Posted by gunner500
That'll work, whatever it takes, keep on keeping on Sir Ron, reminds me of an aging old bow hunting buddy, he called one day and said, well, i guess you wont be archery hunting with me anymore, i says, why? he says, well, because of my shoulder i had to buy a new crossbow today, i said you dont have it over here yet??, come on, we got to get you zeroed! grin

i'll be there soon enough; ]

Hey, I am not blind yet ! grin
I can get a 20/10 correction with spectacles, that is on the target though not the iron sights, however.
Dang those trifocals ! cool
Speaking of which, how 'bout that Metford guy using a 10X scope on his .451-bore/ 52-guage Gibbs-Metford muzzleloader at 2000-yard targets circa 1865 !

[Linked Image]

With that contraption, Bill Metford might have been able to compete with Bill Bagwell's copper penny.

Yes, I mean William Ellis Metford, another "Bill."

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/19/21
LOL, cool bit of history there Sir Ron, speaking of copper pennies, i file cut one out and made a sight for it after Saint Bagwell left us, don't have the tools he uses to make them, but have witnessed him making several for my other rifles, the original front sight blade on the old rifle had became loose, i didn't want to lose it, and was certainly not going to peen the sight base tighter, so, wheat pennies being a bit thicker, i got my files out.

Did i happen to mention knife filing a sight blade out will make your finger tips sore? no shop vise, no grabbing with pliers, found a crack in the top of my casting table that held the penny good on one end while i hung onto the other running the files.

I'll keep the original blade along with the near worn through forearm.
Nice old pics of Saint Bagwell and his knife Buds Sir Ron, i'll send you a couple for posting that would blow the Titanic out of the water ; ]
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/19/21
Gunner500 could you post a pic of the Bagwell penny sight, would love to see one!
Gunner500 could you post a pic of the Bagwell penny sight, would love to see one!

Saddlering, i'd have to take a pic of the one i cut and send to Sir Ron for posting, then could also send one the master Saint Bagwell made for me, do you want to see both?
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/19/21
gunner500 forwarded:

L to R:
Bob Furusho, Japanese Samurai Family of WWII Veterans, a collector of many of Bill Bagwell's knives,
Carlos Hathcock, "White Feather," holding a Bagwell knife,
Bill Bagwell.
"Three old buddies meeting at a show."

[Linked Image]

Bill Bagwell presenting Delta Force Commander Col. Charlie Beckwith with his very own Bowie at Charlie's home:

[Linked Image]

Saddlering, i'd have to take a pic of the one i cut and send to Sir Ron for posting, then could also send one the master Saint Bagwell made for me, do you want to see both?

Send them onward, please, and I will show you how I butchered one in my first go. Will do better next time.
Those old photos of Saint Bagwell and his Buddys bring to mind an old Proverb i remember from Sunday school as a young kid, "iron sharpens iron", and to borrow a line from a movie, these Men's Words would Hold The Iron.

Send them onward, please, and I will show you how I butchered one in my first go. Will do better next time.

LOL, Thanks Sir Ron, i'll take and send em in the morning, you'll see a nice booger i made with the file too.
Saint Bagwell's own handiwork in a snapshot from his first video in Africa:

[Linked Image]

My first attempt, self taught from lookin':

[Linked Image]

Planning another one:

[Linked Image]
LOL, i filed Abe's head off and have him upside down in the base with "LIBERTY" pointing downrange ; ]
Busy as he is, Sir Jerry snapped some pics of his Bagwellian handiwork.
If anything is not clear below, he will have some 'splainin' for us I am sure,
whenever he gets time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those sight blades above, made by either Bill or Jerry have been shaped into the traditional Sharps Shape.
Not like the one I posted earlier that was on Bill's African Safari rifle.

[Linked Image]

I will do my next one, one way or the other, getting the bottom of the blade flat and flush with the barrel for the master touch.
I will not be shy about using a spot of JB-Weld and just a light touch with a punch on each side of the blade, instead of a mangling.
You're batting a thousand Sir Ron, perfect and accurate descriptions, you can see in the middle pic on the old rifle, if planing across the top of a with a file, and said file hits the table top, yes, it will throw file a 45 and you'll have a nice gouge in your sight. crazy oh well, guess it goes with the rest of the old War Horse.

Are pre 1980 penny's all copper? i use wheat penny's.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Yes I would like to see them both, if you could. I can't post pics either.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Saddlering, look up^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.smile
I see they were sent as I was replying. Too Cool!
They sure look great! Almost glow, I'd think wheaties or Indian Head pennies! I did see a small rifle sight made out of a silver liberty dime one time, looked pretty good too!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Yes Sir, they do glow, picking up any available light, great for shooting game in the shadows, brush, dusk or dawn.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Googled it: 1982 they changed.
I was playing it too safe by using only pre-'80, actually pre-'82 is good.

A 1943 wheat penny is worth $300,000.00, 300K USD !

https://www.pennymatrix.com/2019/05/what-year-did-penny-change-from-copper.html
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Pre June 1982 the penny was 95% copper 5 % zinc after June of 82 they were 95% zinc 5% copper. So it don't take much filing and your in junk metal that don 't gather light like pre june 82 pennies. Using indian head pennies was consider cool by a few but really a waste of a collector coin. I left the rounded edge frt and rear but file cut the sloped top with a 45 degree angle on the back just like the old but good Redfield Sourdough patridge style frt. Right at
345" high off the barrel. Mb
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/20/21
Surely Townie Whelen would approve of a copper penny on a Sharps.
Use a little Flitz on a Q-tip to keep the edge bright and let the rest go to a nice patina ?

[Linked Image]

The copper penny is about 0.064" thick.
Townie said the front blade should be at least 0.070" thick.
Aim small hit small.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/21/21
Thanks for the pictures guys! One day going to give it a try!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/24/21
Thanks for the pictures guys! One day going to give it a try!

Speaking of copper penny front sights, i sadly have the very last copper penny sight Saint Bagwell ever built before he left for surgery, he made me one for my 44-77 Shiloh Sharps, also cut me a couple hundred paper patches for it too, if i put hair in front of that sight, and burn those patches, it needs to be on African game, i think He would heartily agree! smile
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/25/21
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/25/21
Coming in from 8:30 under the 'Y' across and out under the 'T' at 2:45 would be close, might loose 'In God'' on the taper for the rear, cant wait to hear how those shoot for you, rain headed your way if not already there.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/25/21
Bill sent my custom penny a few weeks after my 45/110 Shiloh arrived it will always be a cherished gift from a true craftsman and good friend ..

Took this pic back in the spare bedroom last evening with no artificial light just the window across the room.. I'll always think of him every early morning or evening hunt as his little light house of perfection shines on to guide the way..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/26/21
Good stuff Woody, i have the very last copper penny sight Bill made, as well as the last patches he cut, his Wife told me he never went back out to the shop after i left and he went in for surgery, said she saw the patch scraps on the table and left them there, shes not ready to clean them up, God Bless Her, as said, the first things i need to put that sight on and burn those patches on is animal hair, it would be more special and honorable if i done that in Africa.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/26/21
Good stuff Woody, i have the very last copper penny sight Bill made, as well as the last patches he cut, his Wife told me he never went back out to the shop after i left and he went in for surgery, said she saw the patch scraps on the table and left them there, shes not ready to clean them up, God Bless Her, as said, the first things i need to put that sight on and burn those patches on is animal hair, it would be more special and honorable if i done that in Africa.

I totally agree Jerry it would be a most honorable way of remembering our good friend !
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/27/21
I took a nice black bear with a then New Ballard rifle in 44-77 cal, one shot at 25yrds, all I saw was white smoke, but started hearing the death moan, and knew it was over! Way up in Sask. CA. One of Sir Bills Penney sights would have been Great for that hunt, I used a large white bead sight.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/27/21
God Speed to the gentleman.

Did Mr Bagwell ever publish regarding BPCR?
Never dabbled, but have more than a passing interest. I'd be interested in reading anything he wrote concerning BPCR rifles.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
You bet Woody, i put a double 44 cal hunting belt rig together this morning, this season will be really special, just sent Sir Ron some pics a bit ago, maybe he can get em put up for us today.

Good to hear Saddlering, i've only taken two animals with my 44-77, that copper penny played a major roll in both kills, the coyote pup was broadside sitting on his haunches at 200 yards, a nice 9pt was hit at 156 quartering away, he went down so hard and fast i thought i had missed ; ]

MadMooner, Thanks for that, i dont think Saint Bagwell published any BPCR material, i can tell you by the mountains of records he kept, and that he spent hours reading to me from, he easily could have compiled several volumes, great informative reads they would have been.

edit to add, to avoid any confusion, i replaced the rear sight on my 44-77, went from factory Lawrence low notch to full buckhorn Shiloh sight, therefore had to get Saint Bagwell to make a new one.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
Photos from gunner500, may not qualify among the miracles of Saint Bagwell, but certainly as blessings from Saint Bagwell:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
Many Thanks for posting these pics Sir Ron, Saint Bagwell loved my 44-77 and had talked a lot about getting one for himself, he liked that it shot so clean, was extremely accurate, and could be loaded with lighter weight bullets for less recoil, Kurt71 here gave me the powder charge for the load, and a hammer it s, oddly enough, it was the last rifle he cut patches for and made a sight for, and so it is written, i looked the safe over today and found the little FA 44 Special to go with it, those two weapons with Saint Bagwells steel, copper and paper will make up the bulk of my hunting this season in favorable weather conditions, still cant bring myself to slum a Shiloh rifle in the rain and mud.

It's going to be a fun and memorable season for sure.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
gunner you are a honorable man with what you are doing .I hope you cast and blast a hole bunch of critters on your quest sir. my hat is off to you in your journey. keep us posted
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
Gunner may the Gods of the the Hunt smile on you! Very nice outfit you have there! I never got to try paper patched bullets, maybe one day!
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/28/21
HEAR HERE !
A toast to the quest.
Make that Scotch whisky.
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/29/21
Bill was a good friend. When the phone rang I knew I better fill the coffee cup and settle down in the recliner laugh
He picked my grain from what little it holds anymore about the .44-77 and after he saw the Buff scull hanging above the soap pot after the buzzards, blue jays and robins cleaned most of the hide off showing the bare bone scull he was convinced that the .44-77 would do it's job and I really thought that he would get one ordered.
He chewed my hinder when I drilled holes in the barrel for scope blocks but understood the reason I did it. I have no liking for using a scope but it's a necessity for me anymore. The eyes are really getting dim.
Bill is not gone as long as we remember him.

Kurt
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/29/21
44mc, Thanks You Sir, it will remain my pleasure, i kinda figured a double 44 cal hunting pack might get your attention.

Saddlering, Thank You too Sir, paper patch hunting is one of the best things on earth, truly satisfying, and can be very accurate, that 152 year old Buffalo Rifle slapping steel earlier in this thread was loaded with paper patch.

LOL, You bet Sir Ron, i dusted the prairie chicken [Famous Grouse] last night myself! cool

Kurt, i already miss those 1 to 2 hour calls from Bill, he was such a good teacher and easy to listen too, i have buddys i'd fight and die beside, but listening to some of them for two minutes on the phone has me wanting to poke an ice pick in my ears, Bill would have been a heck of an educator/professor, didn't know he had spoke to you about the 44-77, wish he would have had the time to order one for himself.
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/29/21
Bill took a quick interest in the 44-77 not long after I got my first one. He wrestled back and forth for several years about whether to send one of his rifles back to Shiloh to be rebarreled or whether to order a new one. Then when Jamison folded the case availabity more or less shut him down on it.
He was quite the fella, and Sydra is a wonderful lady. I sure hope she's getting along ok.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/29/21
10-4 Ranch, thanks for the info, i didn't know that, i try to talk with Sidra weekly, she seems to be doing as good as one could hope for considering, and Yes Sir He was, i miss the hell out of that guy.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/29/21
you are welcome Gunner .I am a 44hoilc grin
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/30/21

ME TOO LOL. I have 2 44-77, 2 .44-2.6, 1 .44-75 Ballard and 2 .44-90 BN laugh and they all work laugh
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/30/21
Originally Posted by Kurt71

ME TOO LOL. I have 2 44-77, 2 .44-2.6, 1 .44-75 Ballard and 2 .44-90 BN laugh and they all work laugh

LOL you two, my 40-90 Sharps bottleneck dies and shell holder came in from CH4D today, as well as a set of sights and a 50-70 extractor from Shiloh, my pea brains been wandering again! wink
Posted By: 44mc Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/31/21
Gunner is that copper penny sight like have a patten on it ? . i like to make stuff but I don't want to ruffel l no feathers pm me at your conv.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 03/31/21
Hello 44, no feathers ruffled here, pm me a cell number and i'll take you a close up pic and text it to you, no patterns exist that i know of, i'll sit an extra wheat penny beside the sight on the barrel for scale.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/02/21
gunner500 says Saint Bagwell offered to swap both of his testicles for this .303 double rifle hiding in the shadow of a sapling by the game pond:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/02/21
LOL Sir Ron, yes sir he did, offered both of em for that old double, that's a right crappy photo into the setting sun, i had a hell of a walk and thought of our old Buddy up there, Thanks for posting the pic Sir.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/03/21
I heard of that double 303? From the same Tenn. Pig hunt! I couldn't get the time off to go to! I missed out on alot that long weekend.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/03/21
Our condolences to Sidri!!
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/04/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Our condolences to Sidri!!

Absolutely
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/08/21
I heard of that double 303? From the same Tenn. Pig hunt! I couldn't get the time off to go to! I missed out on alot that long weekend.

saddlering, yes Sir, same rifle, wish you could have made the pig shoot, gave it to rattler to hunt with, he shot a nice hog, handed it to Whelen Nut, he proceeded to hit TexNCals little hard plate gong at 100 yards offhand, Twice! funny when a man shoots your rifle better then you can ; ]

Yes, God Bless Sidra, we exchanged Happy Easters last Sunday.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/09/21
I need a set of Hell's Belle replica kitchen knives, miniatures for paring knives to full size for watermelon slicers.
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/10/21
Here is another my Wife took of us at the Shiloh range. Bill is on the right Orvile Loomer in the Center and me on the left.
And our buddy Leica, Bills dog.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture pic of Bill, Orville and me.jpg
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/11/21
Bill is the only one of the Three Amigos who did not need a scope ?
I like that dog.
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/11/21
He gave me hell for drilling holes in the barrel.
And there was a time when I wouldn't have done it.
Posted By: Sharps1874 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/19/21
This came up for sale this morning, it was listed at $4985.00. I saved it in my "watch list".
I got an email from GunsInternational an hour later, the price went to $5795.00
Opportunity for someone here..............
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-stag-antler-handle.cfm?gun_id=101639593
Posted By: Sharps1874 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/20/21
..........and now $5495.00.......
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/20/21
Wow would love to have that knife !just 5K short!
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/23/21
Too rich for me too, so I must request that gunner500 not buy it now for me to gladly repay him on Thursday, as J. Wellington Wimpy would say to Popeye about a hamburger.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 04/23/21
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^laugh^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^dang, i just went back near 55 years!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^laugh^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^dang, i just went back near 55 years!

I'm enjoying the heck out of this older post! Good stuff! RIP! Mr. Bagwell!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/20/21

Bill was a super nice person that shared his knowledge. Always loved talking with him

Yes Sir 44MC, a whole 200 volume set of encyclopedias we lost. smile

Words just Don't explain it, as you all know! Were fortunate that you knew him! Thank The Good Lord, there's a few of you to pass along the Stories, and the wealth of knowledge, that this great man has left us with! I too wished that I could have met him! Keep telling his stories and keep those memories alive! I'm a believer in History as you all are! Rest in Peace Sir Bagwell!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/23/21
You bet HS58, the Man was one of a kind, a great historian, master blade-smith, hell, he built three '74 Sharps rifles, had the mountain man buckskins he hunted and killed bear in Canada with 58 and 62 cal Hawken rifles off horseback, Sharps rifles in Africa several times, he gave me his DVD's from those trips, how about a springbuck at 537 yards with only barrel ladder sights, cut the tail hair off a running baboon at over 1100 yards, it's unbelievable.

Dont believe there was anything the Man couldn't do if he set his mind to it, i miss the hell out of him and his several times a week phone calls. smile
WOW!

A true friendship! We really appreciate the stories, the shared memories!

Most people could never understand, no matter how much we would try to explain!!!
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/27/21
I was fortunate enough to hunt Africa with Bill in 2008, I think? We met in Atlanta and flew together from there. Bill took his 45-110 Shiloh Business Rifle with barrel rear sight and copper penny front sight. I took my 50-90 Shiloh No. 1.

One day, Bill gave me some lessons on his sighting set up. We both took turns shooting at an old kudo skull across a pond, perhaps 225 yds away. We then did some shooting at 600 across a canyon. That day made me believer in barrel sights with a copper penny front. When I got home, I promptly ordered another Shiloh, this one a Business Rifle in 45-70, with the sights set up just like Bills. I also got a tutorial in shooting paper patch in my 110, set up for hunting.

We each took 6 or so plains game animals, the Shiloh's did well. We then went wingshooting for 2 days, which was amazing. The wingshooting was every bit as good as my experience in Argentina. One day was doves, the next waterfowl. The pickup bed was overflowing each evening with birds. The trackers would sit on top of the birds in the pickup bed, and hand out birds to the natives all the way back to camp.

Every night, we would sit around the campfire, sampling South African made beverages, recap the hunting that day and tell stories. As you guys know, Bill was some kind of storyteller. He had us on the edge of our seats.

These are lifelong memories for me that will never be replaced. Every time I break out that Business Rifle I think of how it came to be.
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
I was fortunate enough to hunt Africa with Bill in 2008, I think? We met in Atlanta and flew together from there. Bill took his 45-110 Shiloh Business Rifle with barrel rear sight and copper penny front sight. I took my 50-90 Shiloh No. 1.

One day, Bill gave me some lessons on his sighting set up. We both took turns shooting at an old kudo skull across a pond, perhaps 225 yds away. We then did some shooting at 600 across a canyon. That day made me believer in barrel sights with a copper penny front. When I got home, I promptly ordered another Shiloh, this one a Business Rifle in 45-70, with the sights set up just like Bills. I also got a tutorial in shooting paper patch in my 110, set up for hunting.

We each took 6 or so plains game animals, the Shiloh's did well. We then went wingshooting for 2 days, which was amazing. The wingshooting was every bit as good as my experience in Argentina. One day was doves, the next waterfowl. The pickup bed was overflowing each evening with birds. The trackers would sit on top of the birds in the pickup bed, and hand out birds to the natives all the way back to camp.

Every night, we would sit around the campfire, sampling South African made beverages, recap the hunting that day and tell stories. As you guys know, Bill was some kind of storyteller. He had us on the edge of our seats.

These are lifelong memories for me that will never be replaced. Every time I break out that Business Rifle I think of how it came to be.

Great story! To be a "bug on a wall" ! Thanks for Sharing!!!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/27/21
Mannyspd1, did you get that b gun in 2010 or 2011 on the round barrel run? Bill and another guy I know as well as myself all ordered b- guns on that run. Bill had a curiosity that continually led him to finding answers for his questions and he was not afraid to do so. He told me that like the original business 45-2.1" he ordered his with a 1 in 20 twist. At the time 1 in 18 was std and no small amount are spec'ed 1 in 16. Bill wanted the 1 in 20 original twist to work with 400 gr bullets like the originals. Bill was a big fan of the penetrating and killing power of the Lyman Gov't 500+ grain round nose bullet but wanted to experience original weight bullets. The curiosity factor right there. Bill was a wealth of knowledge we've all lost. Mb
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/27/21
Magnum Bob,
Yes, that is when I got it. Ordered it as soon as I got back from the trip. I already had a 50 and a 45 2⁷/⁸, so the 45-70 seemed the way to go. Easy to load for and shoot, and a nice hunting gun.

Bill got me started on the 457125 Lyman Gov. bullet cast 30-1. I ended up shooting an upsized copy of that bullet in my 50, weighing 700 grains.

Then he got me started on paperpatch. I see a pattern here? Lol

On the trip I was on with Bill, he had some Lyman Gov bullets, some paperpatch weighing just over 500 grains, and the 457121 weighing 480 ish? He wanted to compare performance of the different bullets on game.

Manny
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Mannyspd1, did you get that b gun in 2010 or 2011 on the round barrel run? Bill and another guy I know as well as myself all ordered b- guns on that run. Bill had a curiosity that continually led him to finding answers for his questions and he was not afraid to do so. He told me that like the original business 45-2.1" he ordered his with a 1 in 20 twist. At the time 1 in 18 was std and no small amount are spec'ed 1 in 16. Bill wanted the 1 in 20 original twist to work with 400 gr bullets like the originals. Bill was a big fan of the penetrating and killing power of the Lyman Gov't 500+ grain round nose bullet but wanted to experience original weight bullets. The curiosity factor right there. Bill was a wealth of knowledge we've all lost. Mb

Magnum Bob,
Yes, that is when I got it. Ordered it as soon as I got back from the trip. I already had a 50 and a 45 2⁷/⁸, so the 45-70 seemed the way to go. Easy to load for and shoot, and a nice hunting gun.

Bill got me started on the 457125 Lyman Gov. bullet cast 30-1. I ended up shooting an upsized copy of that bullet in my 50, weighing 700 grains.

Then he got me started on paperpatch. I see a pattern here? Lol

On the trip I was on with Bill, he had some Lyman Gov bullets, some paperpatch weighing just over 500 grains, and the 457121 weighing 480 ish? He wanted to compare performance of the different bullets on game.

Manny

A very Smart, and Intelligent Man with an inquisitive mind, that most can't imagine! It really does explain the nick name "Sir Bagwell" that some gave him!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 06/27/21
Mannyspd1, I double checked when I ordered that gun it was feb of 2010 only had a week or so left to order on that round and bull barrel run. IIRC I called Shiloh and ordered it from Lucinda and gave her my cc# for the deposit. They ran the round barrels before the bulls, when I called after getting the notice for the remainder, she thought mid September. I asked that they email me a heads up for when it was ready and to not ship it. So she emailed me it was ready to go. I had allready told my boss that I might be needing a couple of vacation days in Sept. on damn short notice, he was ok with that. I had all ready sized and trimmed norma 2.9" long and loaded them with ppb's. I was ready when the email got to me before quitting time on thursday afternoon, told the boss I was headed to montana friday morning. At 9 in the morning I called to confirm and they said it 's ready. I asked when they closed and was told 4:30pm. I made that tacoma fly, no carbon build up that day 455 miles in just under 7 hrs with 1 gas stop. Walked into Shiloh at 10minutes after 4 and did the paperwork picking up my b gun. A steak and a drink and then a motel room for the night. Next morning I was up on the mountain north of Big Timber on some BLM to check my loads and zero. Back then Shiloh was open to noon on Saturday so I stopped in and bought a buffalo soule xlr rear sight and headed home. A trip to Shiloh to pick up a guys long awaited rifle is definetely a highlight in ones life. 2 weeks later I shot a nice antelope buck with it. Called Bill after I got it and he told me how tall to cut the penny to replace the silver blade. Mb

Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 07/07/21
From the photo album of gunner500, a Bagwell moment:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 07/08/21
The old Gent was getting it done right up until he went in for that back surgery in Jan/21 Sir Ron, i may have jumbled my text, that crow lite near Saint Bagwells's 300 'Meter' gong, making it a near 328 yards, notice ladder barrel hunting sights only, cool stuff, Thanks for posting the picture Sir Ron.

In his 40-65 Shiloh he was either firing a 415 gr Lyman greaser or 400 gr paper patch from a Brooks mould, he ran 65 grains of KIK 2F under either bullet helluva marksman he was.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 07/08/21
...helluva marksman he was.

And a helluva teacher/mentor.

Ed
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Yes Sir he was my Friend Ed, we gotta run a blade though a rib-eye soon.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 07/18/21
...Yes Sir he was my Friend Ed, we gotta run a blade though a rib-eye soon.

Yes sir, we do.

Ed
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/18/21
Yesterday was eight months since the canonization of Saint Bagwell:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice gesture, but it's a Lurquin, not a Bagwell.
Rush Limbaugh and Bill Bagwell died on the same day.
My 17.5-y.o. dog died last month too.
It has been a rough year.
Thanks for posting Sir Ron!

Rest in Peace Sir Bill Bagwell!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/19/21
Wow! man that some good stuff, there are Bladesmiths and knife fans the world over who respect and recognize the talents Saint Bagwell had, just another of the hundreds of testaments on what a truly unique and gifted craftsman he was. smile

Many Thanks for that Sir Ron.
Sorry to hear about your dog too Sir Ron, yes, it's been a hell of a rough year, starting 3 November 2020!!!!!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/19/21
Sorry to hear about your dog too Sir Ron, yes, it's been a hell of a rough year, starting 3 November 2020!!!!!

You're not damned kidding! I mean who voted for that guy! whistle
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yeah, nobody!

Yeah, nobody!

I'd like to find "nobody" and kick him square in the nuts cause everytime I fill my 55 gallon tank on my truck with 3.50 a gallon diesel that is just what it feels like. That's minor compared to the "nobodies" that hammered our exfil from Afghanistan. Nobody would get their asses whooped..

Yeah, nobody!

I'd like to find "nobody" and kick him square in the nuts cause everytime I fill my 55 gallon tank on my truck with 3.50 a gallon diesel that is just what it feels like. That's minor compared to the "nobodies" that hammered our exfil from Afghanistan. Nobody would get their asses whooped..

Gotcha Big Buddy, Americans and Allies left to die, plus 85 bil of our equipment left behind, the afghans are to stupid to run/inspect/copy it, but the bucket head chinks damn sure are not.

They're going to be so wasteful, i want all my tax money back damnit! this discussion certainly wont taint Saint Bagwells memorial, he used to love to get red hot fired up on the phone talking about resident bidet and her band of merry communists.
Thanks Gunner.. It was a rant.. Apologize.

I figure the best way to remember some folks is to keep living and fighting the good fight against dummies.. It's going to be a long one..

But damn, that is one helluva knife.. Wished I had the chance for one of them devils when he was forging.
Thanks Gunner.. It was a rant.. Apologize.

I figure the best way to remember some folks is to keep living and fighting the good fight against dummies.. It's going to be a long one..

But damn, that is one helluva knife.. Wished I had the chance for one of them devils when he was forging.

All good Buddy, as said, he got so winded one day on the phone i had to ask if he was okay, he said hell yes! this chit spools up some good cardio for my heart. smile

Yep, wish you had a blade and were into Sharps and could have met me at his place for a weekend of shooting, i'll forever miss those.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/24/22
Well, i've had Mr. Bagwell's 20 twist '74 Shiloh Sharps 45-70 Roughrider for just over a year now, i'll not let it sit in solemn reverence in the safe another deer season, this year it's going hunting, i worked up a load with 75gr KIK 2F compressed with one 0.012" playing card wad, 0.190" Black Magic grease cookie on top of that along with another playing card wad over the cookie, pushed it all down with wooden dowel, sat a 515gr flat nosed paper patch bullet from an Ed Tilton mould Mr. Bagwell gave me and hand seated it down in the case, closed case mouth with Lyman taper crimp die, load clocks 1268 fps with 9 fps e.s.

Just got in from the bench learning sight holds with the load and marking a 400 yard correlation mark on the ladder of the full buckhorn rear sight, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and 350 yard holds are noted and ready to go, the rest will be up to me breaking a good trigger, the copper penny front sight showed the way to the targets as clear as a bell, i cast these bullets with 16-1 alloy, plenty hard enough for full penetration on ANY conus/Alaska/Canada game animal, the rifle is wonderfully accurate and a sheer honor to shoot and own.

RIP old Friend.
Our old buddy JWP475 has graciously agreed to post up some pics from today, Thank You Sir, much appreciated.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/24/22

JWP, many Thanks Sir, just dont think i'll ever get there learning to post pics.

The gong pic is at 400 yards, first shot i knew i pulled left, moved the sight leaf down the ladder a tic and fired again, hit left of bull, pushed a spit patch through bore then hit just right of the bull, loaded and fired once more, 6 o'clock bottom of bull, perfect, pulled pocket knife and marked that spot on the ladder for 400, holding a rifle in hand with back of hand on top of front rest with no rear bag is plenty good enough for me with buckhorn barrel sight shooting at 400, all that damn moving around was me, not the rifle, hard to see a hard line that far away, sight hold was center 6 o'clock bottom of the gong, hitting all around a 6 inch bullseye at that distance tells me his old rifle likes my load, these are Buffalo rifles afterall, and any would be smoke at that range with this load.

Thanks again Sir. smile
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
Well Gunner here is what that shooter is capable of doing.[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Bill 1 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Bill Bagwell 2 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep]
And on this day was the first time I ever heard Bill cuss. laugh I talked him into shooting my Calamity, the .50-90 laugh
I couldn't talk him into shooting the second shot. It just about knocked his tooth out and blood colored his beard :Dhttps://postimages.org/]imageprocessingservices[/url]=https://flic.kr/p/2nGpFSb][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]pic of Bill, Orville and me by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep]

I told him not to kiss it, just shoot it LOL.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
LOL, you dang right Kurt, i will forever be a johnny come lately student, when that guy was on fire it was unbelievable, heck, iirc he told me you guys used to shoot two or three cases of black powder a year, 75 lbs of black will make a lot of smoke! cool
Well Gunner, I once told Bill if your going to shoot.....shoot. Three cases was on the conservative side. laugh
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
Kurt,

Bill was "not a fan" of the 50-90 I found out. He shot mine with a 700 grain bullet 120 grains Fg Goex Express, and he felt there was too much recoil and less penetration compared to the 500 + grain 45 caliber bullets. My rifle has some recoil thats true, but plenty of penetration with that 700 grain bullet. It was probably the only thing we disagreed on.

Regards,
Manny
You bet Kurt, you guys really put in the time at the load bench, shooting bench and casting pot.

Manny, Bill and i butted heads over my 50-90 as well, when i put a 750gr flat nosed greaser over 120gr OE 2F for 1365 fps 8-9 feet into a a bedded 1800 lb eland bull, he finally cut me some slack on my 50 LOL! i had it on video and had to show him, he saw the bullet impact the right ham, then saw the skinners take it out behind the hide in the front of the left shoulder, it dang near made full length penetration ; ]
Gunner,

I think he was used to the 450-550 grainers in the 50, and with those I would think the heavy 45's would indeed penetrate further. With the advent of the faster twist 50 barrels, these 700+ grain bullet come into their own, as you and Kurt know.

Bill would have enjoyed this conversation! Im glad you got one of his rifles. Bill gave a knife he had made to our outfitter in Africa. I wonder if Marius knows what he has...

Regards,
Manny
Manny,

The load for my .50 was 115 gr of 2F Goex Express with a 718 gr Brooks Creedmoor or a 680 gr PP.
My Shiloh has the 1/22 ROT. I only used it once up in the Michigan UP and took a Whitetail Buck with it. It pushed him sideways over a small brook. The shot was a little high that went through both shoulder blades and spine. My favorite hunting rifles were the .44's. .44-90BN and the .44-77. Took three bison with them in fine shape and never recovered a bullet.
Just before Bill left us he wanted a .44-77.

I sort of retired Calamity. Heavy recoil tore the retina in both eyes a couple years ago and I lost a lot of my center vision.
I guess the 82 years are making me a little wimpy, but I still shoot it on and off to keep the bore shiny. laugh

You guys stay well.

Kurt
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
Great stuff fellas. Gunner talked me into a 50-90 that I am still waiting on. Hearing these old stories are pretty cool to me.

Keep em coming!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
I love my .50-90 Shiloh Business Rifle. Bill convinced me to give a Business Rifle a try for a hunting rifle, although he said it should be a .45-70 and it would take anything on earth. I like the big bullets though. I got an adjustable mold from Jerry but I haven’t tried it’s heaviest bullets yet.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Yes Sir he was my Friend Ed, we gotta run a blade though a rib-eye soon.

Mine too. I will never forget spending a few days with him and his wife Cydra (sp) and his dog Buddy. I was just starting out shooting Sharps rifles, gifted to me by another dear friend , Evil Twin (aka Jim Martin) as a retirement gift when I left the Navy. In no time, Bill had me smacking the 500 yard ram with my 45/110 and 520gr PP bullets. I miss him.
Pacecars,

Thats why I bought my Business Rifle, Bill convinced me. I did order plain wood and now I wish I would have upgraded to semi-fancy, but, it will shoot the same either way!

Regards,
Manny
Gunner,

That is a good looking flat nose pp bullet. I noted the 16-1 alloy and I am curious? Were you looking for deeper penetration? I've tried 20-1 and 30-1 for my pp, but have settled on pure lead for my pp bullets with a blunt profile. The target tells me that at hunting ranges that if there is a bit of bullet slump due to the soft lead, it doesn't affect accuracy.

I did recover one bullet from a 1900 pound or so bison, under the hide on the off side. I haven't found an elk yet that will hold one though!

Regards,

Manny
Gunner,

I think he was used to the 450-550 grainers in the 50, and with those I would think the heavy 45's would indeed penetrate further. With the advent of the faster twist 50 barrels, these 700+ grain bullet come into their own, as you and Kurt know.

Bill would have enjoyed this conversation! Im glad you got one of his rifles. Bill gave a knife he had made to our outfitter in Africa. I wonder if Marius knows what he has...

Regards,
Manny

Manny, agreed, i'm not much on shirt button bullets, pancakes dont penetrate LOL, i've read the 50's started out with 473-475gr grease groove and paper patch bullets, i can barely patch a 1.315 inch bullet, no way i'd jack with trying to patch a 50 cqal bullet a lot less than an inch long ; ]

I think we've all heard of, or maybe employed ones self of what 50 cal and 700-800+ grains of bullet weight can do in wartime scenarios, Yes sir, Bill would have been in this discussion with both boots.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/25/22
I would loved to been a fly on Bills wall in his shop
You're going to enjoy that 50 then holler holy hell when you see what it does to animals Big B, you've got two dang good bullets to run with, you can pick one or both and send over to Steve Brooks, he'll make you a hell of a mould.

Pacecars, that 50 cal missile mould from KAL will do it all to, just unscrew it and send up to 780 grains of love if you choose LOL!

Good stuff Jorge, these rifles and the memories of our old Buddy will never leave us.

Manny, i cast these at 16-1 for no other reasons than i have a lot of that alloy, and in the name of simplicity, one load/one alloy per rifle, it makes sight holds much easier, plus, as we know, 16-1 will work on any animal, i do agree about soft alloy and nose shape, as long as the bullet flys accurate, i dont think nose shape with soft alloy on light big game animals matters, at impact, a dang big dog knot meplat will be there.
Speaking of shirt buttons, i cast some .512" 530gr grease groove bullets for my 50-110 WCF lever gun out of a pile of fishing weights a guy gave me with some 40-1 thrown in the pot to harden it up some, those bullets leave that rifle at 1391 fps over 110gr Swiss FG, i hit a small buck at 30 yards in the shoulder on a hard quartering in angle, he looked like he was trying to drunk dance, totally lost control of his steering, staggered around and fell, exit on offside ribs would have held a 20oz pop bottle.
Plenty of mass for light big game, were i to use that bullet.rifle on Buffalo, i'd cast it from 10-1 alloy and let her fly.
I would loved to been a fly on Bills wall in his shop

Yep, just stay up high enough up on that wall so he couldn't reach you with that damn fly swatter 44! cool
Gunner,

Makes sense, thanks for the reply!

Regards,

Manny
here is the bullet I took that buck with the .50. It was cast with 1/20 and that hollow point did it no favor. It went through both shoulder blades and spine.
It ended up the size of a 1/2 dollar.

Attached picture IMG_1208.JPG
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/26/22
You're most welcome Manny.

What a splat that must have been Kurt, never thought about HP's in BPCR's, do remember Bill was fond of the 458 cal. 360 grain Gould HP, said it knocked the crap out of coyotes and hen house raiding stray dogs.
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/26/22
I had Steve Brooks make a second mould with the HP that is identical to the .50 Creedmoor bullet mainly to reduce the weight but keep all dimensions the same.
I don't remember for sure what the HP took off for weight without casting some but I think it dropped the weight from 718 down to 685 gr. Not much difference but the HP tightened the groups a smidge.
If you want to save the meat loss from a bad hit I would not use the HP for hunting unless you cast them with #2 Lyman smile

The Big .50 is really not needed for Buffalo as much as I like this caliber. The .44-77 will work just fine. Just don't put the shot behind the ear if your a head hunter.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Version 2 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_3841 by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]1C14E208-B772-4D90-8C91-57E7A5546E9E_1_201_a by .com/photos/leadpot/]Kurt, on [bleep]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/27/22
LOL! Holy Crap Kurt, that 44 cal bullet cut a swath through that skull bone, and here i am worried about only 476 grains of bullet weight in my 44-77, it is a flat nosed paper patch that i cast with 16-1 alloy, leaves my little rifle at 1386 fps over 78gr OE 2F, i guess it indeed would work for Buffalo, i wanted at least 500 grains in my 44, looks like i'm worrying too much about nothing. Thanks. cool
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/27/22
Gunner that hunting bullet is a 485 gr 1/20 Alloy. The bullet is of the original; Sharps profile.
When Bill saw the scull after the crows and Blue Jays stripped it of hide he said that will do. smile
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/28/22
LOL! Holy Crap Kurt, that 44 cal bullet cut a swath through that skull bone, and here i am worried about only 476 grains of bullet weight in my 44-77, it is a flat nosed paper patch that i cast with 16-1 alloy, leaves my little rifle at 1386 fps over 78gr OE 2F, i guess it indeed would work for Buffalo, i wanted at least 500 grains in my 44, looks like i'm worrying too much about nothing. Thanks. cool

“Only” 476 grains….. sheesh! grin
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/28/22

The 44-77 left it's mark in history shooting a bullet 1.1 inches long ( 410 grs), not sure but I doubt those buffalo of the 1870's were any tuffer than the pen raised things folks shoot nowadays
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/29/22

I'm not a pellet gun shooter laugh laugh
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/29/22
Originally Posted by Kurt71

I'm not a pellet gun shooter laugh laugh

I’d be wary of Gunner’s pellet rifle knowing him grin
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/29/22
Here are some ugly looking pellet guns. https://www.facebook.com/100003378691327/videos/pcb.5104159833039923/765448201246129
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 08/31/22
My “eulogy” for Bill will be here soon. Here is a teaser. A big thank you to Jerry!

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 09/07/22
LOL Kurt and Beretzs, more lead is always a good thing.

That's really good stuff Pacecars, more than glad to hook you up for that one, it is indeed a one of a kind in many more ways than one, Congrats Sir!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 09/21/22
Picked up the “Bill Bagwell” rifle today! It looks fantastic! It came with a couple surprises, 1 I kinda figured it would have and that is one of Bill’s copper penny front sights and the other was one of his “American Bladesmith Society Founding Member” business cards tucked under the foam in the rifle case. I will post some pics tomorrow I hope. A HUGE shoutout to Gunner500! I can’t thank you enough
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 09/21/22
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^cool^^^^^^^^^^^ Good stuff Pacecars, and you're most welcome Sir.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 09/26/22
I am late coming into this thread, as I don't get on the Fire as much as I used to, but I am sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I had the opportunity to learn from him, when he attended the Campfire Hog Hunt in Tennessee, and shared much wisdom with me. He gave me good advice regarding my .45-90 Shiloh #1.

He was, indeed, a rare one.
Posted By: Wood Troll Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/21/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

I spent some time on the phone with Mr. Bagwell not long before his passing, discussing paper patched hunting bullets for blackpowder .45-70 cartridges. I had asked him about how he used the full-buckhorn barrel sights at different ranges, and he invited me to call him back another evening to discuss. Sadly, I did not make the time to take him up on this before his passing.

I see that you have notes that appear to be distances and sight settings. Would you have the time sometime to explain the settings and sight pictures at various distances - I'm assuming you knew how Bill used them?

Thank you for your consideration!
Posted By: Kurt71 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/22/22
Bill and I spent a lot of time like others here on the phone picking each others brain laugh on different subjects and the conversation using the barrel sights came up very often with Bill and me because we both hunted with the barrel sights since we were Kids and just recently since I had eye damage loosing my center vision I'm forced to switching to a scope and even this is not working. I hunted Bison with a scope mounted .44-77 Sharps once and I just about tore it off fumbling around trying to load for a second follow up shot fumbling around the hammer and scope loading. laugh
Here is an old post https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?123634-buckhorn-sights look down on post #11 is a good illustration using the buckhorns and it is basically how I use them and also what Bill said also. It takes a lot of time behind the buttplate working out the hold at different ranges with your rifle but very long shots are workable using the barrel sights. Also the spread of the horns can be used for a range finder on known animal sizes.
With my sharps hunting rifle the balance point is right at the rear sight and I don't like it digging into my hand, heck it even cuts a hole through the glove in time laugh so I switched to the long Lawrence rear sight that has a reliable three fixed sight settings with the ladder down, ladder up below the slide and also the top of the slide you can set at a known setting also hold overs with the three known ranges holding over.
I had the opportunity to see if I could hit a full sized iron buffalo at 1585 yards using the Lawrence sight. yes it took a follow up shot ranging the rind but I settled my curiosity that the old hide hunters made those long shots I read in books as the heard moved on.
But like I said, you have to use them to learn how to use them.

Kurt
Posted By: Wood Troll Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/22/22
Thank you, Kurt, much appreciated!

You're right - you have to spend a lot of time shooting to figure out any sight. I think I have a pretty good handle on iron barrel sights, at least as well as I can see them now, but I'm always looking to learn and have always wondered what tidbits Mr. Bagwell could have offered.

Quite a few years ago I was trying to come up with the best rear barrel sight for use in the woods. Most of our shots here are 150 yards or less, but in less-than-full daylight due to the tree cover. Tang peep sights are great for distance, but they do require decent light to work best. I ran across some pictures of the Freund More-Light sight, and spent quite a bit of time adapting the Sharps rear buckhorn sight into a "More-Light" sight.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/freund-more-light-rear-sight-sharps-479074496

Here's a thread I stared on the Shiloh board about my results: https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=114667#p114667

Unfortunately, the photos in that thread were lost in a long-ago web-based photo hosting closure, and the sight was loaned to a "friend" to try out, and it was never returned. I appear not to have saved any of the original photos (I've spent several hours today looking). This thread made me think about making another one, but like many folks that fool with these rifles, my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. So it's probably of use to me only as knowledge gained, but I'm always looking to learn something from folks who are willing to share. I'm hoping to pass this all on to interested grandkids as soon as they are able to absorb all this stuff.

Thank you again, take care,
Regan
Posted By: Wood Troll Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/22/22
I finally managed to find a few photos on an old external drive:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Don't mean to sidetrack the Sir Bagwell thread, but was pleased to find the photos and hoped the mention of the "Buckhorn More-Light" sight would make more sense with pictures.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bill Bagwell Eulogies - 10/29/22
Wood Troll, send me a PM, we'll exchange numbers, maybe i can save you some time and aggravation, always my pleasure to share the things i've been taught and learned.
© 24hourcampfire