Home
Posted By: texasmac GOEX black powder is closing - 09/28/21
https://namlhunt.com/goex-to-close....80OFTPX2R7e_nfAQF02aucWAvCXQzJ0z--4Xxbwg

Wayne
Posted By: zcm82 Re: GOEX black powder is closing - 09/28/21
Not surprised... I sorta saw this one coming when Hodgdon bought Western. They have 777 and B209 taking up the lion's share of the muzzleloading market, so I figured they'd axe Goex eventually.
What a revolting development. Going to have to see what I can substitute in the flintlock.
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
What a revolting development. Going to have to see what I can substitute in the flintlock.

Swiss shot ok for me out of a Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt. I never tried it in my muzzleloader, though.
The market is sure getting smaller - I understand that there are a lot of people that don't like shooting blackpowder, but they sure want to take advantage of the seasons to go kill something, so they use the pretend stuff. Sure ruins it for the rest of us that worked for the black powder seasons, and enjoy the smell and the smoke.
I use the pretend stuff in an inline these days because it's more pleasant to shoot and way cheaper than shotgun slugs. No rifles allowed for deer here.

Still sucks as it's hard to find black powder now days, I have a couple of cans of goex and of Swiss. I liked to use Elephant when I shot big cart. Guns, before they Quit. Times are changing boys.
BS; MS; PHD
I did get some a few months back so I'm good for this year for hunting. We have 2 seasons an early one, doe only, where in-lines (don't have one not interested) are allowed and after Christmas traditional black powder, open sights only, flintlock only. As far as I know we are the only state that has a flintlock only season. But there are fewer hunters every year.
How much they sell that business?
I guess I will start making it myself then after all. I heard so many times that it is not that hard. ,,,,, and I doubt it is any more dangerous than handling gas.
Originally Posted by deltakid
The market is sure getting smaller - I understand that there are a lot of people that don't like shooting blackpowder, but they sure want to take advantage of the seasons to go kill something, so they use the pretend stuff. Sure ruins it for the rest of us that worked for the black powder seasons, and enjoy the smell and the smoke.

Exactly
Posted By: J23 Re: GOEX black powder is closing - 09/29/21
I called this on 24hcf way back when Hodgdon was buying up and consolodating all of the powder companies. There will be much more to come too. Stock up on your old favorites now while you can!!

Shame. BP is hard enough to find around here, Goex was the only game in town.. when you could find it in stock. I refuse to shoot their Pyrodex or Blackhorn junk.

Looks like it may be about time to sell off the ML and Cap and Ball collection(s) and hang it up.

Sad. The government doesn't have to ban anything. These corporations are destroying the shooting industry one corporate buyout at a time. If I wore a tin foil Kromer, I'd be wondering if it's not by design.
There’s a dealer nearby with tons in a bunker. May have to pay him a visit and pick up a bit more Old Eynsford. Don’t need much, my musket is for Mountaineer Heritage season and the .36 underhammer is very thrifty. Both can use 777 in a pinch.

Don’t forget that you can buy online. Grafs doesn’t have much now, but should catch up in time. They do have Swiss 4F and Null-B for priming, and 1 1/2 F for bigger guns.
Most of the mail order bp outfits are out from monday night and Tuesdays runs.
One guy I know of said Powder Inc told him they had a boatload coming in Swiss and schuetzen powders for October delivery. The big question remains is how will our military be supplied as they are the biggest bp use? BP is used for igniting the big smokeless charges. Mb
Originally Posted by zcm82
I use the pretend stuff in an inline these days because it's more pleasant to shoot and way cheaper than shotgun slugs. No rifles allowed for deer here.

Yep....folks up there are UNAMERICAN anyway!!
Like every other component associated with firearms, smart folks stocked up during Obama's initial run.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: GOEX black powder is closing - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
Like every other component associated with firearms, smart folks stocked up during Obama's initial run.

Last time it started getting a bit scarce I got enough for life. Stocked up on Swiss, 777, and B209. I hardly ever use the Swiss, but I figured it was a good future investment with more and more useage going to substitutes.

Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by zcm82

Yep....folks up there are UNAMERICAN anyway!!

😂😂😂
I talked to Chris at Buffalo Arms yesterday and asked the question if he knew anything more, said they were briefed by Hodgdon people that they had a buyer lined up before they even announced the closure. Things may no be as bad as we think. Hope so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLS3dwxr4o&t=268s

Wayne
Read on a forum dedicated to Muzzleloading this morning, that Goex is likely to be going back to DuPont, by the end of the year. Don't know if it's true or not but it could be very good news if it is.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Gives hope, Thanks for the info Ranch.
© 24hourcampfire