Home
I have an 1884 with shot-out barrel and another action fitted with an unfired barrel, complete with the Buffington sights. I'd like to get this barrel mounted on the 1884. Can anyone suggest a smith to do this, the closer to Abilene, Texas, the better? I know it's a pretty straightforward job, but would prefer to have a smith familiar with black powder cartridge rifles handle the project. Thanks in advance.
I've only done a couple, but I think you oughta do it yourself. Not very tight, nice beefy flats on the receiver bridge, don't need a special action wrench, hardwood blocks a few thousandths under and a little rosin, dead blow hammer...done deal. Murphy gave me a break on the ones I did.
Hmmmm ...
P.S. Lived most of my life in Jackson County, Oregon, neighbor.
Sorry you left neighbor, we got a darn good BPCR gunsmith just south of Yreka.
Not close, but Bob Hoyt near Arndtsville, PA
He did a reline on a Springfield 1871 were an idiot had reamed out the chamber to take a 28 gauge shotgun shell.
He also did a Trapdoor carbine for me. Original bore had an area of deep pitting. He put in a new steel liner with a .458" groove and now I can shoot cast or jackets. And I had him remove a very rusted .50 muzzleloader bore and rifle it to .54 cal
Thanks WStrayer. I know Bob is a legend among Civil War skirmishers for putting 150-year-old rifles, muskets and carbines back to work. I understand he is taking a break for a while.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sorry you left neighbor, we got a darn good BPCR gunsmith just south of Yreka.

And who might that be ?
He doesn't advertise, I don't know how he could be contacted, Pat Griffin, County Hwy A-12, Big Springs CA 96064, unincorporated area. Maybe super google fu?
You might contact Kurt Hardcastle in New Mexico, or Steve Baldwin in Oklahoma City and see if either one would be interested in doing it or could recommend someone.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
He doesn't advertise, I don't know how he could be contacted, Pat Griffin, County Hwy A-12, Big Springs CA 96064, unincorporated area. Maybe super google fu?

Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire