Home
I'm very please with my Shiloh in .45-90, but have been interested in a smaller cartridge, well suited to deer and hogs. Today I noticed a Shiloh marked accordingly, "CAL.40 2 1/10".

I'm wondering if this is a .40-70BN, or a straight sided case, like a .40-65?

Thanks!
Drop the breech a look in the chamber if it's the bottle neck you'll see the shoulder in the chamber, if not it's the straight.
40-70 SBN is 2.25" the 2.1" is a bottleneck that is made from 45-70 brass. Their were 3 versions of it, it was brought out in the early 80's, mine has the large powder chamber and short neck. 40 -65's have the sloping body and are very popular...mb
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Drop the breech a look in the chamber if it's the bottle neck you'll see the shoulder in the chamber, if not it's the straight.

Don't have it in hand, unfortunately.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
40-70 SBN is 2.25" the 2.1" is a bottleneck that is made from 45-70 brass. Their were 3 versions of it, it was brought out in the early 80's, mine has the large powder chamber and short neck. 40 -65's have the sloping body and are very popular...mb

Thanks - what is the nominal barrel groove dia?
Hey Tex, bet you have a 40-65, i have one so marked, 40 2/10"

Great cartridge, hit me up if you need some brass.
Bore . 400" groove .408"..mb
if it ends up being one of the bottle neck versions made from necked down 45-70 drop me a message, I've got a set of dies, some brass, ammo and bullets for that
© 24hourcampfire