Home
Posted By: dogwater Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/19/23
Took my montana rough rider for an eastern montana mule deer hunt. Got one. 276 yards with iron sights and my bad eyes.
Posted By: pacecars Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/19/23
Love it! Pics please
Posted By: beretzs Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/19/23
Wow! Nice, please post up some pics of that!
Posted By: dogwater Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/22/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's about all I have for pics...
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/22/23
What caliber?
45-70. 480gr cast over imr 3031. I wanted to use black powder but I was worried about cleaning under extended field conditions. The 3031 load is also a lot faster.
I learned a lot hunting with it. I got a slip on type no swivel sling from Shiloh. It works but almost interferes with seeing the front sight.
Its hard to carry the rifle and sticks and still be able to glass and rangefind.
At 276 yards, my front sight is really big compared to a deer.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/22/23
Great stuff! Good info on the sling. I need one of those myself.
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/22/23
Nice shooting Dogwater!

I have used those slip on slings before, and have found exactly the same as you: the front loop almost obscures the front sight, it certainly can mess up the sight picture if you let it.

Regards,
Manny
Posted By: 1minute Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/23/23
Good going there. Hope to tag an elk with a 45-90 some time down the road.
Posted By: dogwater Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 11/24/23
It would be a lot easier with one of the mva scopes. I don't know if I want one but I might look into it.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 12/08/23
When a guy orders a new Shiloh it only costs just over $100 to have quick detachable studs installed. They are ball headed so look period correct frt is d&t in the barrel in frt of the forend and the rear in the usual spot For a gun to use hunting they are great. Mb
Posted By: pacecars Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 12/11/23
Next one I order will have a standard half round barrel with the Bear Paw swivel mount
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 12/17/23
The one that is being built right now for me will have the regular ball head studs for quick detach..mb
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 12/17/23
Buffalo, deer, antelope with Shiloh 1874 and 1877 in 45-70. Nothing like old technology against a boring modern era of 6.5 Creedmoors…

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Buffalo, deer, antelope with Shiloh 1874 and 1877 in 45-70. Nothing like old technology against a boring modern era of 6.5 Creedmoors…

I've got an book about black powder buffalo rifles I purchased in Big Timber MT over 20yrs ago and that picture of you and that buffalo was in it. Must be awhile ago
Posted By: beretzs Re: Shiloh sharps hunt - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The one that is being built right now for me will have the regular ball head studs for quick detach..mb

I wished you told me that when I was ordering grin
© 24hourcampfire