Home
Hi, I have recently bought a Pedersoli rolling block 45-70 and would like to drum up a Black Powder load for hunting. First I need any info possible. I figure regular casings is fine, not sure what powder to use and type of bullet. My question is do I have to use a cast bullet? I am not sure the twist rate... It is between 1/18 - 1/20.. I need to find out for sure, but believe it is the 1/18. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Info on bullet type/shape for lead would help. My shots for hunting only about 150 yrds tops. Thanks

PM me.
First thing to to is get "The Black Powder Cartridge Primer" by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino. It will give you direction as to what to use to load, how to do it and multiple loads for multiple chamerings with multiple bullets. Procedures and methods. There are other books out there, but this one is fairly comprehensive and is a good one for somebody just starting out. If possible, find somebody as close as possible who has experience with BPCR and ask them if they would show you the ropes. Hands on is the fastest way to conquer the learning curve.

That said - I have a Rolling Block (original ca. 1879 action), 34" heavy Badger barrel (1:18 twist) and new wood. The load I use most often is 70 gr Goex Ctg grade BP, LR mag primer, .030 card wad, Lyman 457125 bullet (500 gr RN) and homemade lube (similar to but not the same as SPG lube). I have shot this load from 25 yds to 1000 yds and am comfortable with it.

This BPCR stuff can get under your skin so I hope you have some money left for more of the good stuff wink. Have fun ! ! !

BYW - ET knows a thing or three about this game. Heed his direction and comments.
70 grs goex 2f, .030 fiber wad and a 405 gr government bullet seated to the driving band in your favorite brand of case and sparked with a large rifle primer.
If one plans on keeping things within about 400 yds, then a Gov 405 slug, a card wad, and 70 grains of BP. With new cartridges, one may not be able to get 70 grains in there. They expand on the first firing, and one can typically get a few more grains of powder in. One wants zero air space between his powder and bullet base.

One may get even more powder in if he uses a drop tube and a compression die.

If one wants to reach to extreme ranges, then step up to about a 530+ grain slug.
© 24hourcampfire