Home
Posted By: derby_dude The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/19/12
Anybody loading BPCR cartridges using the Lyman 310 tool? The tool was called the Ideal tool back in the day. Apparently, all single shot rifles came with the Ideal tool. Lyman makes the tool for just about all BPCR cartridges in use today as well as many pistol cartridges.

Seems like it would be interesting to load stuff the old fashion way although slow.
Posted By: BrentD Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/19/12
I rarely do it any more but I used to use the 310 exclusively to load .45-100. It works and even has some advantages.

Rick Morrill ( I hope I got that right) is the current owner of the 310 shop and sells and makes dies for them along with trading in handles of all sizes and composition. Everyone should have a 310 tool BUT, Lee makes a hand tool that takes ordinary dies and that can be a lot more convenient (and a bit more bulky).

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/19/12
While I have seen a number of the 310 tools and dies, I have never used one.

I'm curious about how straight the case enters and leaves the die portion since it is a hinged device.

Also, Huntington Die Specialties sells the HDS Hand Press, which is an even bulkier hand press than the Lee, but has better leverage and also uses all modern dies and shellholders.

Ed
Posted By: derby_dude Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/19/12
Thanks.

How did your match go Brent or have you gone yet?
Been there and back. Shot poorly on Friday okay on Saturday and Sunday to finish out of the running but above the fold.

http://www.mtbpcr.com/2012nwregionalscores.html

Had many fun sideline activities as well. Here is one - I actually killed a chicken at 200 meters with this on full auto.

[Linked Image]
Is that a BP automatic? laugh
It would be a hoot to paper patch with black powder. For a few seconds. then I think there would be "issues".

I would like to see how .45-70 Gatling ammo was loaded back in the day.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/19/12
Five offhand chickens in BPCR is never shabby. Congrats!

I'll bet you would have done better if you hadn't had scope problems.

Paul
I didn't know who to look for on the list.
Paul, on my WSC (Woulda,Shoulda,Coulda) list, I would have shot about a 28 and I don't think that would have gotten me over the hump. Not to mention EVERYONE jumps up 5-10 points with their own personal WSC scores. Anyway, it was fun but I am starting to hate scopes even more and I didn't like them much to start with. I'm about to petition for "any sights" instead of "scope only".
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/20/12
A full up STG-44?? Somebody around there has a buncha bucks. I use a Lyman 310 for 45-70 and 45-90. Works very nicely.
Posted By: BrentD Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/20/12
No, and MP44. I don't know what an STG is.

Somebody is a professional gun writer. He has been collecting machine guns of WWII for a while for his next book. He is also the match director.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/20/12
Have used nothing but to load my 38-55 for the Montana Schuetzen matches. Have used them for others such as 6.5x54 and 219 Zipper. They are fun but slow.
Cheers
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/20/12
Originally Posted by BrentD
No, and MP44. I don't know what an STG is.

Somebody is a professional gun writer. He has been collecting machine guns of WWII for a while for his next book. He is also the match director.

Mp 43/44 was the first incarnation. Hitler changed the designation to STG (Sturmgewehr-assault rifle) The Granddaddy of 'em all! AHHH,MLV I would guess!!
Posted By: Ray Newman Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/20/12
Speaking of 310 Tools, some may find this link useful:

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
Posted By: pacecars Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 06/24/12
I have bought several items from Rick. He made my .40-70 BN dies since he did not have any in stock. I have loaded .45-70, .40-70BN and .50-70 on the 310
Posted By: pacecars Re: The Lyman 310 tool.... - 10/13/12
Kinda slow so I thought I would bring this to the top. I ordered some .40-65 dies for my 310 tool.

The 310 is great for the range. It allows you to change loads and seating depth quickly
© 24hourcampfire