Congrats Tex smile
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
[Linked Image]

VELCOME!!!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
Outstanding!

Ed
Posted By: Otter Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
Was the call to inform you "IT" was going into production or it was fixin' to ship? Either way, it IS exciting to get that call . . . CONGRATS, and welcome to the club of the darkside ! ! !
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
It's ready to ship, I had the FFL sent yesterday evening.

I do need to round up some more bullets, though. Maybe a lot more blush
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
grin A boxcar or 2 of BP wouldn't be a bad thing either grin
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It's ready to ship, I had the FFL sent yesterday evening. I do need to round up some more bullets, though. Maybe a lot more blush

And a road trip to meet Jerry at Powder, Inc? grin

Ed
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/10/14
Powder I actually do have. The big flat nose greasers from Jerry, that make 1" holes through critters out of my .45-90 High Wall, I need more of.
Posted By: dale06 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/11/14
how long was your wait?
I ordered a #1, 50-70 14.5 months ago and no call yet
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/11/14
2 yrs, one month. But I did ask for a few special things and that might have influenced lead times. For the next one, (which I hope won't be far away) I will probably work through Mr. Goodman to cut the lead time.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/12/14
HELL YES!!!!! congrats Tex, and yes, Jerry Dean is now your new best friend. laugh
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/12/14
Tex, 77 grains of KIK 2f and a Jerry Dean 500 grain flat nosed bullet is a good place to start in that 45-90. It hits like a damned freight train.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/13/14
I think the way to phrase things is, now I know how the English Lords felt when they took delivery of a new Purdey or Holland and Holland. It's pretty astonishing.

I'm fortunate to have some nice rifles, but this one is jaw dropping...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Of course it would be a windy wet day here, so a range trip is out, but that gave me an excuse to sit around & work on photos of it. I need some better props and lighting, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/13/14
That is a hell of a nice rifle. Congratulations.

I have often said that every gun in your gunsafe will cry itself to sleep at night wishing that it would be a Shiloh the next morning when it wakes up. Now you know why I say that. Even the plain ones have a quiet elegance that sets them apart.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/13/14
Mind you, that's "extra fancy" wood not "presentation". I'm trying to figure out how the heck one could upgrade the wood smile
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/14/14
Beautiful rifle, Patrick! I bet it shoots as good as it looks. grin

Ed
Posted By: gunner500 Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/14/14
My little Shiloh 45-70 is gonna be pulling the wool outta it's rifle case when I try to pull it out in front of Tex's rifle at the next pig hunt. shocked cry lol

You scored a perfect 10+ on this deal Tex, congrats again.
Posted By: Otter Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/14/14
BEAUTIFUL rifle, TNC . . . But I would expect nothing less from Shiloh. Congrats . . . Now get out and shoot it!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/14/14
well, I did smile Safe queen it shall be not.

The wind was shifting around a lot, and it threatened rain, so I did not set up the chrono. I had two loads with me, some 440gr Leethe bullets, which shot well in my original High Wall .45-90 carbine, and the 500gr Jerry Deans. Both over 75gr KIK 2Fg. The 440's shoot well in the High Wall, but the Sharps was unimpressed with them. The 500's did well. The last 3 of the JD's are circled. I shot another group, not pictured, which also ran a hair under 2 inches at 100 yards. The group was shot with a clean bore for the first shot, and no wiping/blow tube was done between shots.

[Linked Image]

The load is not touching the rifling lands, so tinkering with the seating depth, technique are indicated. I have a number of the 450gr versions of the same bullet, and I suspect they'll be adequate for Texas deer smirk

I remain very pleased with it.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/14/14
Good luck. It appears you might need it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/15/14
Nah, I can already think of some things to do differently with the next set of loads. Seating Depth and bullet diameter being some of the pertinent things.
Posted By: rattler Re: I smiled yesterday... - 09/15/14
i love their cased hardening
© 24hourcampfire