Home
Posted By: Sharpsman Flintlocks - 12/09/16
http://nmlra.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/MuzzleBlasts-DEC-2013-STUTZENBERGER.pdf
Posted By: stantdm Re: Flintlocks - 12/09/16
I got a trade rifle last year. Chambers lock works very well. I did drill it out to 1/16" as I don't shoot targets with it, just Turkey and Deer.

I talked a bit with Mr. Chambers about the powder location in the pan. He explained that their test show it makes no difference where it was located.
Posted By: htredneck Re: Flintlocks - 12/09/16
Real muzzleloaders!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Flintlocks - 12/10/16
I thought that this was the BPCR forum. The muzzleloading forum is just next door. I do both, and there is a BIG difference.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Flintlocks - 12/10/16
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I thought that this was the BPCR forum. The muzzleloading forum is just next door. I do both, and there is a BIG difference.

some folk can't tolerate that inline and smokeless shooters post on the muzzleloading page, figured this forum's more akin to their way of thinking
Posted By: funshooter Re: Flintlocks - 12/10/16
Ok gunna stir the pot

A true Muzzle loader should always be shot using a rock or a match

A cap gun is only a wanna be.

And a BPCR is a Cartridge rifle not a muzzle loader. A different animal all together.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Flintlocks - 12/11/16
I guess you're just gonna have to tolerate me cuz I ain't going over there with the inline AHs!!
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Flintlocks - 12/11/16
Just because you started selling your Sharps doesn't mean I've got to put up with your new toys over here. That's BS and you know it.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Flintlocks - 12/11/16
Where do I post about my Highwall .38-55 .40 cal muzzleloader?
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Flintlocks - 12/13/16
I enjoyed reading that article, and have NO problem seeing it here in this forum.
GTC
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Flintlocks - 12/13/16
If you know where the bathroom is and still $hit in your pants, I don't want to hang out with you. If it has a ramrod, it belongs in the muzzleloading forum unless it is a Ballard Pacific. You boys have fun--I'm out of here.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Flintlocks - 12/13/16
Say it ain't so.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Flintlocks - 12/13/16
Must be having his menses, or some such.

Sheesh !
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Flintlocks - 12/15/16
If you know where the bathroom is and still $hit in your pants, I don't want to hang out with you. If it has a ramrod, it belongs in the muzzleloading forum unless it is a Ballard Pacific. You boys have fun--I'm out of here.

In the interest of continued dialog and a question unanswered.

A Winchester Highwall assembled by Barry Darr. It is a .40 caliber rifle which chambers a .38-55 Win. case and sports a false muzzle. A fella cannot load a .40 in a .38 case, simple as that, yet is has conventional ignition, card wad, and loads from both ends...with a ram rod....but it uses a cartridge.

It also sports a big ol' Unertl scope built many years ago.

[Linked Image]

So, where do I post about this Son of Pope?
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Flintlocks - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

In the interest of continued dialog and a question unanswered.

A Winchester Highwall assembled by Barry Darr. It is a .40 caliber rifle which chambers a .38-55 Win. case and sports a false muzzle. A fella cannot load a .40 in a .38 case, simple as that, yet is has conventional ignition, card wad, and loads from both ends...with a ram rod....but it uses a cartridge.

It also sports a big ol' Unertl scope built many years ago.

[Linked Image]

Try in Elk Hunting, or Big Bore rifles, there are a ton of really nice and knowledgeable folks there...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Flintlocks - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

right here is okay with me. smile
Ranch, now I'm close to askeerd. I don't think .40 cal qualifies as big bore. Also think it's kind of queer to use a 1.5" Unertl for elk hunting. Maybe, tryin' hard to visualize that I am.

You'll notice in the pic there is a breech seater on the upper tang? Hammerhead I bought it from used that but said he never could get it to work well. Duhhhhhh........

Mebbe I'll ask Rick to start a new forum for "Weird Old Guns".

Or just talk to Tex. laugh
Well now 40 certainly quailfies for big bore, and that Unertly would be the bee's knee's for the 48000 yd shooting everybody seems to think they need do nowadays..
I thought .40 was a medium bore. See, I learnt something. Thanks.

48000 yards....I can't see that far anymore. Mebbe I'll put a Tasco on top? 48,000 mm I can handle.

Hmmmm....48,000 mm = 52.49328 yards. Yeah, I'm good with that. If it's not windy. Florida winds I mean. 75-185 mph, late summer to early fall.
Those are good conditions to test bullet stability.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Flintlocks - 12/15/16
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Those are good conditions to test bullet stability.

Sounds like good conditions to test your shooting bench's stability! eek

Ed
Every man should have a supply of anchors handy. Danforth or CQR plows with a lot of chain. I prefer the plows for soft substrate.
Posted By: Flint62Smoothie Re: Flintlocks - 01/04/17
Originally Posted by funshooter
And a BPCR is a Cartridge rifle not a muzzle loader. A different animal all together.

Not quite true, as Harry Pope and Dr. Franklin Mann and many other fine Schuetzen shooters of the late 1800s loaded their breech-loading rifles with a plugged case in the chamber and then used a false muzzle to push the bullet down the bore to be just above the case.

Some records at 200-yards, set over 100-years ago, remain unbeaten. The purpose was to pre-engrave the slug into the rifling, but eliminate any fins or flash (from the bullet base) that could occur as a bullet is pushed into the bore.

I do agree in principle that they are not true muzzleloaders.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Flintlocks - 01/06/17
Originally Posted by htredneck
Real muzzleloaders!

[Linked Image]

sweet looks like a Kentucky long rifle copied from the French in 1750
© 24hourcampfire