Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 My Rolling Block - 10/04/17
Receiver is back from color case.
[Linked Image]
This will be an octagon barrel 45-70 with peeps.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 10/08/17
Added photos

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1minute Re: My Rolling Block - 10/08/17
Nice!
Posted By: Remfarmer Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Nice times ten! That is on my bucket list with the exception of the caliber choice. Mine would be a 40/65 due to the fact that my 1885Win copy is beginning to not play nice the older I get. I think your project is wonderful and please post more pictures as you go.
Posted By: kellory Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Sorry. But linked pics are broken. (No looky)

....and now they are gone.
Posted By: kellory Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Originally Posted by kellory
Sorry. But linked pics are broken. (No looky)

....and now they are gone.

And now they're back!. (And worth the wait. That should be quite interesting when done)
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Thanks!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Sweet.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 12/28/17
Think I will get the fore end slimmed up.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: My Rolling Block - 12/29/17
It is beautiful, but I have to agree. That forend looks out of proportion.

Ed
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: My Rolling Block - 12/30/17
Those beautiful case colors and outstanding wood are wasted with that clubby forearm and those atrocious sights. That front sight is bad enough on that rifle, but that rear receiver sight is an absolute abonimation.. A simple silver blade front and a traditional Remington Rough and Ready rear barrel sight would be right at home on this rifle. MVA makes a great Rough and Ready and it works great. I have one on one of my rollers.
Posted By: mtnfisher Re: My Rolling Block - 12/30/17
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Those beautiful case colors and outstanding wood are wasted with that clubby forearm and those atrocious sights. That front sight is bad enough on that rifle, but that rear receiver sight is an absolute abonimation.. A simple silver blade front and a traditional Remington Rough and Ready rear barrel sight would be right at home on this rifle. MVA makes a great Rough and Ready and it works great. I have one on one of my rollers.

Good review.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 12/30/17

I agree with you on the fore end and it will be taken care of this spring. The sights were my choice as I didn't build it for anybody else.
Thanks for looking.
I will add that it is for a primitive buffalo hunt. The Vaver sights, front and rear, have screw in sight inserts of different IDs. It is much better for my 75 year old eyes.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 03/12/18
Rifle is at Dennis Earl Smith's shop, known as The Stock Doctor.. It will get a crescent buttplate and a much slimmed fore end with a schnable.
Posted By: Brazos Re: My Rolling Block - 03/12/18
Gorgeous rifle Butch.

Will look forward to more pictures. And a hunt report!
Posted By: Owl Re: My Rolling Block - 03/12/18
Bravo ! Very beautiful.
Posted By: jd9770 Re: My Rolling Block - 03/13/18
Excellent, work. Beautiful rifle.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: My Rolling Block - 03/13/18

I love sharpsguy smile
Posted By: fubarguy Re: My Rolling Block - 08/14/18
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
[Linked Image]

Did you used to work for Georgia-Pacific?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 08/14/18
Originally Posted by fubarguy
[Linked Image]

No sir,I did work part time at Pollock Paper on a corrugated box press about 45years ago. Terrible job for a part time rookie.
I'm waiting on Dennis to get on the ball. He had the buttplate fitted and the slim down part done a couple months ago. I try never to bother my craftsman and the only contact with Dennis since January was the photos that he sent of the rough work.
Probably time for a call.
Posted By: Craigster Re: My Rolling Block - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by Brazos
Gorgeous rifle Butch.

Will look forward to more pictures. And a hunt report!

Plus one !
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by fubarguy
[Linked Image]

No sir,I did work part time at Pollock Paper on a corrugated box press about 45years ago. Terrible job for a part time rookie.
I'm waiting on Dennis to get on the ball. He had the buttplate fitted and the slim down part done a couple months ago. I try never to bother my craftsman and the only contact with Dennis since January was the photos that he sent of the rough work.
Probably time for a call.

Dennis said they had forest fires and he had to move all of his rifles and personal items. Said it will be ready in a week or two..
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 09/13/18
Teaser:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: My Rolling Block - 09/18/18
Damn beautiful rifle BL, the wait had to be excruciating, hope you get it rigged out in time and zeroed for a nice buffalo hunt. smile
Posted By: stantdm Re: My Rolling Block - 09/20/18
Boy does that look good. Nice work on that action and the wood is Purdy quality.
Posted By: northcountry Re: My Rolling Block - 09/20/18
Just looks too pretty to take it out and get it dirty. Cheers NC
Posted By: mooshoo Re: My Rolling Block - 11/05/18
Nice!
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 11/06/18
Thanks, I need to load some rounds and get it on paper. I need a larger sight insert for the Wittek-Vaver sights. I have the sets for the front sight, but haven't found extras for the rear.
Posted By: Craigster Re: My Rolling Block - 11/06/18
Why the "2 screw" forend ?

Good luck on the buffalo hunt !
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: My Rolling Block - 11/06/18
Originally Posted by Craigster
Why the "2 screw" forend ?

Good luck on the buffalo hunt !

Unfortunately the buffalo hunt was 1 1/2 years ago. I guess Dennis thought it best and I agree.
Figured we would have another chance this past spring, but now I don't know.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: My Rolling Block - 11/07/18
Beautiful rifle Butch! I'm envious!
© 24hourcampfire