Home
Posted By: Shortgrub breech seater - 04/21/19
Lookin fo a couple of breech seaters for a Stevens 44 in 25-20 SS and a Browning high wall in 38-55 WCF. Sent an email to Russ Webber. Any other suggestions to search out?

thanks
Posted By: Paul39 Re: breech seater - 04/21/19
Russ does great work, but his seaters are pricey.

You can easily make your own, simple, but functional. Take a case trimmed to the desired length, fill it with epoxy or a piece of solid material, wood, metal, delrin, making sure the length is correct. Drill out the primer pocket and install a bent rod and handle. You will still need to insert the bullet by hand, then seat it with the tool, two steps, but it works.

I have shot with Russ and his wife. Nice folks.

Paul
Posted By: Shortgrub Re: breech seater - 04/21/19
Thank you Paul for the tip and speedy reply. Does this method align the bullet ok?

thanks,

Tim
Posted By: Paul39 Re: breech seater - 04/21/19
Good question. I'd think it would depend on the shape of the chamber, leade, and bullet. The bullet should seat with some "feel", but not need so much of a push as to distort it. I'm no pro at this, the idea for the seater came from the gunsmith who built my rifle.

Good luck.

Paul
Posted By: TenX Re: breech seater - 04/23/19
That will work just fine unless you are using a hard alloy and/or a bullet somewhat over sized. Then it becomes work and you will start looking for more leverage.
Phil
© 24hourcampfire