Home
Posted By: Paul39 Paper Patch at 1500 Yards - 05/18/19
Rather than further cluttering up Gunner500's thread about his .45-110, I thought I'd start a new one to elaborate on the Billy Dixon 1500 yard target I posted about.

I was shooting my bone-stock Browning .45-70, Hoke/Distant Thunder sights. Load was 80.0 grs. of Swiss 1 1/2 compressed to about .10" from the case mouth. Bullet a Buffalo Arms 435 gr. paper patched Money mould, 16:1 mix, seated only about .10" and lightly crimped. A target load, too fragile for the field, had to be handled carefully.

After my eight shot string with three hits, one of my bullets that missed the steel was found in the soft sand beneath the target. The bullet was nearly pristine, just a bit of distortion of the nose, and the engraved rifling very evident. The paper patch certainly worked as intended.

Paul

[Linked Image]
1500 yards or no, I'm surprised it is in that good of condition. You folks may have softer sand than us. grin
Good stuff Paul, and you're not cluttering up my thread at all, I welcome all comments, experiences and opinions, even if off topic, someone else may find some info they need in broader talking points/subjects. smile
© 24hourcampfire