Home
Posted By: 300_savage Good AT tire on ice - 06/29/20
I've had mixed success with ice traction on my half ton pickups using AT tires. My current tires on two pickups are Hankook Dynapro ATMs, and they're not bad. Friend of mine swears by his Cooper AT3 4S, but another friends had a set of the original Cooper AT3 and said they were horrible. So, for those of you in the northern climates, what do you think is the best AT light truck tires for winter conditions, ice traction a priority, mostly on pavement but some off-road as well?
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Good AT tire on ice - 06/29/20
Sorry this isn't the direction the way you wanted to go, but if you want a real improvement on ice on paved roads you need to get real snow tires and I'd have them studded. I run studded tires in the winter and switch out to all seasons the rest of the year. That said I drive regularly on snowy roads all winter. If your situation would just be a very occasional thing then this probably isn't a good way to go. Maybe some unstudded real winter/snow tires.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 06/29/20
Nitto exo grappler
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 06/30/20
Getting tired of posting this. Toyo M-55.
Posted By: wytex Re: Good AT tire on ice - 06/30/20
Goodyear Duratracs.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Good AT tire on ice - 06/30/20
Bridgestone Blizzaks. Hands down.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
Thanks for the info. I will do some research on the tires you folks mentioned. Won't be buying till fall so have time to visit Tire Rack and the manufacturers sites and check them out.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by 300_savage
So, for those of you in the northern climates, what do you think is the best AT light truck tires for winter conditions, ice traction a priority, mostly on pavement but some off-road as well?

This reminds me of the thread about "the best AT tire in mud", from a few months ago. No AT tire is very good in mud. Or, on ice.

Have you ever felt how soft a snow tire is, in winter? Soft, like the eraser on a pencil. Check any AT tire when it's cold like that, and it will be hard as a rock. An AT tire is simply not optimal for that use, no matter who makes it or what tread pattern it has. The rubber compound is a compromise, to deal with scorching hot summers and cold winters. Snow tires are designed for the cold and that is it.

I think it is unreasonable to expect really good performance on ice, with any AT tire. If I absolutely had no choice but to use an AT tire, then I would look at the Goodyear Duratrac. The rubber is soft, but it's still no match to a dedicated snow tire. And it has a reputation for rock punctures and stone drilling. We have a lot of volcanic rock here in the PNWet and I don't use them for that reason.

I've got several stories of AT tires on ice, that didn't go well. Chains were the answer.

Posted By: horse1 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67

They SUCK on ice/packed snow.
Originally Posted by wytex
Goodyear Duratracs.

Good on 1/2tn, not good on 3/4-1tn.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
300 savage,

What type of vehicle are you using?

Up here in interior Alaska, I see Duratracs on more trucks than any other. They work very well on the glare ice we drive on. With any heavy 3/4 to one ton truck, a 3-peak-snowflake rated all terrain is sufficient on the worst of roads. If 1/2 ton or smaller, a dedicated snow tire and being in 4wd/AWD is most sensible. They are too light.

Even on glare ice in below zero weather, the heft of my one ton flatbed keeps me in 2wd almost all season. But in a half ton, 200 lbs of sand over rear axle and being in 4wd is a must.
I think user location and local weather plays a big factor in everyone's experience and opinion, but I don't think that it means that is how it will be everywhere.

When I lived in a colder climate, it was snowing and cold by Thanksgiving and never warmed up until spring. The ice and packed snow was often times hard to walk on, as it was slick, but even all-season tires could get traction. It was really cold, and the ice was dry.

Now I live in the PNWet, where it is often right around freezing. We have warm moist air, mixing with cold air. It almost seems like the premelt condition for ice skating, with a thin layer of water between the tire and ice.

I know several people who lived in the colder regions of the midwest, northeast, etc that moved here, and they ended up in the ditch. They said, "I know how to drive in the snow. Been doing it all my life." But where they lived, it was really cold and there was good traction.

I can tell you that the Toyo M-55, Toyo R/T, Toyo Open Country, and Nitto EXO do not do well on the wet ice here. I think the Duratrac is marginally better, but I have had to recover rigs running them. Cooper AT, KO2, etc. are all basically the same. Like ice skates on this wet ice.
One exception I've seen is that really wide, oversized AT tires can sometimes do well on the wet ice here. Unless the grades are really steep.
Hard to tell what's going on in the images below, but if you look closely, you can see vehicles pointed in the wrong direction.

Images were taken near Mt. Hood a few years ago. Took the family up there for fun in the snow. My EXO tires were fairly new, and did great earlier in the day. It was above freezing, with some people spinning out at lower elevation. Once up top, we had good traction, but traffic was bad and there were long delays.

While we sat motionless, waiting for traffic to clear, we started sliding. About a foot or so. The road had some camber. Turned around to get away from the yahoos and ensuing cluster to come. Got stuck in traffic again. It was getting dark and the temp started to drop. Again parked motionless, on an off camber stretch of road.

Then, one car slid sideways towards the oncoming lane, and into the snow bank. Then another. Again, nobody was driving. Everyone was parked. All sorts of cars, trucks, AWD, 4x4, AT tires, MT tires, etc.

It was the typical Portland cluster. People trying to drive without the right gear. Cars started sliding into other cars, and people put themselves in-between. I thought for sure that someone was going to get crushed. I've got some video files stored somewhere.

One guy slid sideways, hit the snow bank, then would drive uphill a ways, and slide sideways back into the bank. That was the only way he could go forward. Subarus, 4x4 mini-trucks, fullsize trucks, etc.. All sliding around, or jammed into the snowbanks.

The only vehicles with traction had snow tires, chains, or oversized AT/MT tires.

I chained all 4 tires and peeled out of there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think user location and local weather plays a big factor in everyone's experience and opinion, but I don't think that it means that is how it will be everywhere.

When I lived in a colder climate, it was snowing and cold by Thanksgiving and never warmed up until spring. The ice and packed snow was often times hard to walk on, as it was slick, but even all-season tires could get traction. It was really cold, and the ice was dry.

I can tell you that the Toyo M-55, Toyo R/T, Toyo Open Country, and Nitto EXO do not do well on the wet ice here. I think the Duratrac is marginally better, but I have had to recover rigs running them. Cooper AT, KO2, etc. are all basically the same. Like ice skates on this wet ice.

I'm in Eastern ND, we get cold, stay cold, and it's a "dry" cold. Our "ice" is actually very densely packed snow that's then polished by blowing snow and traffic. In those conditions, and on a heavier diesel 3/4-1tn, the Exo's are the best I've used, and I've used quite a few in a bit over 200K Mi between 2 diesel pickups.

We get that "wet-ice" stuff you're talking about every once in a great while. Usually around Thanksgiving or in Apr, comes down as freezing rain w/ground temps just below freezing, it's a mess. Dedicated snow-tires IE Blizzak and the like are about all that stick to that stuff sans chains/studs.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
Horse1 and 4thpoint,
Yah that warm weather "lubricated ice skating rink" kinda stuff will leave unforgettable memories on a person. Staying home, or pure snow tires about the only option there.

Those toyo observe snow tires with the walnut shell in the rubber coumpound, combined with perfect 50/50 weight distribution and 4wd : just enough traction to get out of the way of the bumper car pile ups.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/01/20
A friend moved to the Western Virginia area from Minnesota. He asked some of us shortly after getting here how much snow we got and we told him it varied year to year between 10"/year to 60"/year. We mentioned that sleet, freezing rain and wet heavy snow was more common here and it was very hard to drive in going up and down the hills and mountains in the area. He of course said since he was from Minnesota he knew all about driving in it and it would be no problem for him.

First morning of the first snow of the year I found him in the ditch at the first downhill slope he came to out of our little neighborhood and of course I stopped and took him home. He was amazed at how slick it was and of course he had never been up a hill or down a hill steep hills in Minnesota.

I have been to Minnesota in the winter and that super cold dry snow is much easier to drive.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by horse1
Goodyear Duratracs.

not true....get the appropriate rated ….ply....tire and you are good......I drive a lot of ice and snow...….bob
Posted By: SeanD Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
I like the studded Nokian or hankook ipike tires. Blizzacks or one of the other wonder studless winter tires would probably be a good choice, but I’ve not used them.

True winter tires, as previously noted, with a soft winter rubber compound.

I’ve run the cooper M&S studded which are an AT and not a winter rubber, with studs they were not great but better than a standard AT. Not near as good as the Nokian or hankook ipikes.

The Nokians are available factory studded, that’s the way to go. The local shops can’t seem to properly install studs IMO.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by BobMt
Goodyear Duratracs.

not true....get the appropriate rated ….ply....tire and you are good......I drive a lot of ice and snow...….bob

I had Load E Duratracs on my '06 F250 diesel. They sucked, way squishy on the sidewalls from 65PSI up to 80PSI.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by VaHunter
A friend moved to the Western Virginia area from Minnesota. He asked some of us shortly after getting here how much snow we got and we told him it varied year to year between 10"/year to 60"/year. We mentioned that sleet, freezing rain and wet heavy snow was more common here and it was very hard to drive in going up and down the hills and mountains in the area. He of course said since he was from Minnesota he knew all about driving in it and it would be no problem for him.

First morning of the first snow of the year I found him in the ditch at the first downhill slope he came to out of our little neighborhood and of course I stopped and took him home. He was amazed at how slick it was and of course he had never been up a hill or down a hill steep hills in Minnesota.

I have been to Minnesota in the winter and that super cold dry snow is much easier to drive.

Much like the rest of the country, when we get that super-slick freezing-rain wet-ice road conditions, we get dozens upon dozens of cars that pile into each-other as well.

Really, our biggest hazard out on the highway is wind/poor-to-no visibility, much moreso than "slick". I have a full set of 4 tire-chains for my pickup but I can only think of 1 fried who also has chains, everyone else says they don't need them, which is true, until it's not.........
Posted By: BobMt Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by BobMt
Goodyear Duratracs.

I had Load E Duratracs on my '06 F250 diesel. They sucked, way squishy on the sidewalls from 65PSI up to 80PSI.

i have them on my 16 f350.....will buy again......the nittos sucked for me.......bob
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/02/20
I liked the Nitto Exo Grapplers better on ice than any other non-studded tire I've run. I switched back to studded tires mid winter this year, because the Nittos had done such a good job up till then.

That said, on ice, nothing beats studs, and having two sets of tires is the way to go (although I will certainly admit that it can be a PITA).

Usain Bolt can't run fast enough to give me a set of Duratracks. I suspect the same applies to anybody that rode in my truck while it was wearing them, but to each his own.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by cwh2
I liked the Nitto Exo Grapplers better on ice than any other non-studded tire I've run. I switched back to studded tires mid winter this year, because the Nittos had done such a good job up till then.

That said, on ice, nothing beats studs, and having two sets of tires is the way to go (although I will certainly admit that it can be a PITA).

Usain Bolt can't run fast enough to give me a set of Duratracks. I suspect the same applies to anybody that rode in my truck while it was wearing them, but to each his own.
I've looked for a used set of 17" wheels for my pickup and haven't found any that cost much under $1000. I can pay for a lot of tire swapping for that money.
Posted By: mauserfan Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/03/20
Continental ContiTrac. Has a lot of sipes.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I've looked for a used set of 17" wheels for my pickup and haven't found any that cost much under $1000. I can pay for a lot of tire swapping for that money.

Here's a set for $500/free shipping.

17" Ram Wheels
Posted By: sactoller Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/04/20
Just remember that you can drive as fast as you want on snow and ice.....

Just don't expect to turn or stop.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/08/20
Thanks for all the input. I know dedicated winter tires are best. This is a working 1/2 ton, and what goes on needs to handle the 35 mile highway trip to the farm, some gravel county roads (which tear up soft winter tires pretty fast), normal off raod farm work, and I just want, in the AT load range E class a tire that isn't the slickest ice skate on the road when winter hits.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/09/20
I had good results with Firestone Destination AT tires. I think they have been updated since though. If I didn't have to plow through deep snow to get to the highway I would have kept using them. Another I like is the Kelly Safari TSR, especially when studded.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/09/20
Goodyear Duratracs.

or 1 tons
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/09/20

Only if your a neophyte that doesn't inflate/deflate properly given road/hauling conditions.

There is no better AT tire for ice conditions.

Excuse me, yes there is a Spiked/Chained Toyo M-55
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/09/20
Thanks everyone. I'm going to use the suggestions from everyone for a list to research. I will probably be "retiring" this old pickup before winter.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Good AT tire on ice - 07/11/20

Only if your a neophyte that doesn't inflate/deflate properly given road/hauling conditions.

There is no better AT tire for ice conditions.

Excuse me, yes there is a Spiked/Chained Toyo M-55

Do you have a suggested inflation level for various conditions. I always wanted to try them on my 1 Ton because I have read people like them for deep snow.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/20/20
Goodyear Duratracs.

Only works on black ice.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/20/20
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I've had mixed success with ice traction on my half ton pickups using AT tires. My current tires on two pickups are Hankook Dynapro ATMs, and they're not bad. Friend of mine swears by his Cooper AT3 4S, but another friends had a set of the original Cooper AT3 and said they were horrible. So, for those of you in the northern climates, what do you think is the best AT light truck tires for winter conditions, ice traction a priority, mostly on pavement but some off-road as well?

I run the DynaPros during the other three seasons.. but for winter, I switch over to the Hankook I Pike RW 11... with Studs...

the rubber is Hydrophilic, getting soft when they get wet...

our winters are wet in Oregon.. but travel up road over the Cascades and in Oregon east of the Cascades.. you see a lot of Snow and Ice, up and over the passes especially...

Nothing does that good on ice...and with the price of vehicles, why go cheap on good winter tires...

I order mine thru Discount Tire Direct...the vehicle I am running these on is a Honda Pilot... 2 WD,

DynoPro RW10s, work pretty well if you have 4 WD....

I run those also on my old 4 Runner.. but now that Oregon is putting salt on the roads over the mountains... I don't drive it much at all in winter times...

I'm also getting a lot of long mileage out of both the RW 10s and the RW 11 I Pike Snows..
Posted By: tzone Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

That probably is the best choice since they were actually made for it.

I have a hard time believing the 19 year old kids at tire shops that recommend the "best" tires. But, at Discount Tire they recommended I get the Pathfinder AT's for my F-150 because I have been more than unsatisfied with BFG's traction on wet pavement, ice, and pretty much anything else. I'll be dipped if he wasn't right. They're great.

So Blizzaks or Pathfinder AT's.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/24/20

+1 on studs and the Duratracks
Posted By: badger Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/24/20
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

That probably is the best choice since they were actually made for it.

I have a hard time believing the 19 year old kids at tire shops that recommend the "best" tires. But, at Discount Tire they recommended I get the Pathfinder AT's for my F-150 because I have been more than unsatisfied with BFG's traction on wet pavement, ice, and pretty much anything else. I'll be dipped if he wasn't right. They're great.

So Blizzaks or Pathfinder AT's.

If I remember correctly, the Pathfinder is a rebranded Hankook DynaPro ATM.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Good AT tire on ice - 08/25/20
If anybody mentioned siping I missed it.

Siping is/are the small slits, looking like cuts in each lug. It is my understanding that the more siping a tire has the better on ice. Of course there are trade offs. A heavily siped tire wants to wallow on dry pavement & doesn't handle the best.
© 24hourcampfire