Home
Posted By: erikj Car/truck hoist? - 07/04/20
Getting ready to build a shop, but I'm seriously considering a two post lift. I'll beef up the slab and allow for headroom. I've used plenty of them but haven't tackled the install and not savvy on brand names. Anyone been down this road?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Car/truck hoist? - 07/06/20
Originally Posted by erikj
Getting ready to build a shop, but I'm seriously considering a two post lift. I'll beef up the slab and allow for headroom. I've used plenty of them but haven't tackled the install and not savvy on brand names. Anyone been down this road?

Nort Dave has one. EdM too IIRC. Probably others.
Posted By: erikj Re: Car/truck hoist? - 07/06/20
Thanks. May have to reach out. Going to do a little recon at a couple shops in town, too.
Posted By: badger Re: Car/truck hoist? - 07/06/20
Rotary is the gold standard for 2 post lifts. I have 11 of them in my shops, and 2 Forward brand lifts. The Rotary's have been very reliable and are well made. Don't be tempted to go with the Chinese made lifts. Their "UL" rating isn't worth spit. They usually build one model good enough to earn the UL certification, and then slap the sticker on their whole model line. Not comforting when you have that thing holding an 8000lb vehicle over your head. Minimum 5" of reinforced concrete for a pad too. 4" is the accepted norm, but I'm a little overkill on safety.
Posted By: erikj Re: Car/truck hoist? - 07/07/20
Thanks for accelerating the learning curve. Good call on the Chinese cutting corners. I ran into that very issue with a Chinese crane years ago.
© 24hourcampfire