Home
168k on truck., 2007 5.9 Cummins
Recent upgrades/replacement:
Ball joints
steering box/pitman arm
Upper control arms
Upgraded steering linkage to the H style
New Dampener

Turning left/right results in a slight bump or banging. Buddy and I thought it might be the control arm bushings, so I had the control arms themselves replaced (was cheaper than doing just the bushings).
While the mechanic was in there, he said the box was worn out, so he replaced that and the Pittman arm.

Still clanking.

Any ideas? I don't think there is much to replace, that I haven't already.
Don't know if it will help,but, I had an article about an add on where you took off the nut from the Pitman arm/box and two front frame bolts.This device fit on the bolt that the Pitman arm goes on and then replace the nut.Two pieces from it then goes to where you took the frame bolts out. Supposedly this keeps the box from moving around.Sort of a stabilzer. It was about $180. Since I sold the Dodge though I don't have the article now. Might find it on a Dodge Forum
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
168k on truck., 2007 5.9 Cummins
Recent upgrades/replacement:
Ball joints
steering box/pitman arm
Upper control arms
Upgraded steering linkage to the H style
New Dampener

Turning left/right results in a slight bump or banging. Buddy and I thought it might be the control arm bushings, so I had the control arms themselves replaced (was cheaper than doing just the bushings).
While the mechanic was in there, he said the box was worn out, so he replaced that and the Pittman arm.

Still clanking.

Any ideas? I don't think there is much to replace, that I haven't already.

When you make a turn, is there any movement in the steering wheel, i.e., if you're turning right, the steering wheel wants to move or pulse back to the left?

I assume the "slight bump or banging" isn't a cracking noise?
4x4? Probably front axle shaft inner support bearing. 20 dollar needle bearing.
It is your track bar, the busing is shot. If you have someone turn the wheel, (engine not running) you can see the movement.

Get a new heavy duty adjustable. I don't remember the brand that I put on mine, but it stopped the issue cold!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Ram 2500 Noisey front end? - 01/18/21
Track bar would be my guess too, but id be surprised if you didn't notice more than a noise. I did the lukes link in my 06.

https://lukeslink.com/products/dodge-ram-track-bar-bushing-kit-3rd-generation-2003-20075
The trac bar has maybe 1500 miles on it. That was just replaced over the summer. The bushings were shot.

[/quote]

When you make a turn, is there any movement in the steering wheel, i.e., if you're turning right, the steering wheel wants to move or pulse back to the left?

I assume the "slight bump or banging" isn't a cracking noise?
[/quote]

It is not a cracking noise.

There is no movement or pulsing.
The trac bar has maybe 1500 miles on it. That was just replaced over the summer. The bushings were shot.
Check it anyway. On occasion defective stuff gets out the factory door.

If replaced with a factory bar, I'm still willing to bet it is the issue.
I replaced it with a Moog.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Ram 2500 Noisey front end? - 02/02/21
I had an old 82 Ford that would make a popping sound/sensation, when going around a turn. It would do it while sitting still, as well, when the steering wheel was turned back and forth. Had Dad turn the wheel back and forth, while I spent 15-20 minutes under the truck to locate the noise.

Ended up being the support brace under the transmission. When turning, the frame was flexing enough, and there was enough movement between the support and the frame, to make that noise. Made some thin rubber shims, loosened the bolts, jacked the support up slightly, and put them in there and tightened down, never had the sound again.....

Not saying that’s it, but just be aware that there are lots of mounts/supports/braces that are being stressed, when you turn. May be your front end, may be something else getting flexed.
© 24hourcampfire