Home
Posted By: StudDuck Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/28/21
Looking for a new truck. It's personal preference, but I've ruled-out a Dodge (and I currently own one), Chevrolet and possibly the Ford F-150.

I'm looking hard at a Ford F-250, 6.2L, but having a rough time finding one in the right color/gear ratio/options that the wife and I can agree on. For the same amount of money, I can buy a Toyota Tundra.....it sure does check a lot of boxes, but if I buy one, I don't want to start drinking mocha lattes and wearing skinny jeans. eek

The only complaints I hear about are fuel mileage, seats and beds rusting underneath at the corner welds....nothing Fluid Film won't handle.

For you guys who are driving a Tundra, what are your thoughts?
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/28/21

I drove a 2011 tundra until 2018. My son has it now. It has great power, very comfortable and was very reliable. Also did well off road. Rural driving I'd average 16/7 highway I could do as well as 20. I upgraded to a diesel due to towing needs, but if I needed a half ton truck I wouldn't look at anything else.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/28/21
Happy Tundra owner here. 2007, Brake pads at 120,000. Starter pooped at 215,000. My Tacoma has been trouble free, but it only has 70,000. You can google "million mile tundra's", there are 2 of them now, running parts in the oil industry.
Posted By: pal Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Mine is a first-year (2000) model and the fit, finish and ride is way better than any 4x4 I've ever owned (Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat, LandCruiser[ride]). Hard to beat Toyota quality and resale.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
I had a 2013 Tundra CrewMax with the factory dealer installed supercharger in it. 540 horse. I would still get 14 to 15 MPG on the road. But when I hooked up the toyhauler I got 5 or 6 MPG and on a 22 gallon tank you were looking for gas stations all the time. It had 70,000 mile on it when I traded and the dealer gave me $40,000 trade in. That pickup never gave me a minutes trouble the whole time I had it. Comfortable to travel in and I really like the looks of it.
Posted By: hillbill Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Good trucks, and yes they are trucks not grocery haulers, they work well, no they are not a 2500, course they haul a good bit of grocery's too.

Mine 07 has 162,000 on it BUT I just put timing chains and all pertaining parts in it, seems chain stretch is fairly common with this engine, still it has been a good truck til now. yes they are not great on fuel, 15-17 , they need a rear locker but overall they are good trucks. mine has seen it's fair share of hard sprints, likely why I had to put chains in it, have friends with 300,000+ on theirs with no issues at all.

never any front end parts other than brakes, no driveline issues till the chain started slapping, never a trip to the dealer since I drove it off the lot and it's a first year build truck.

Both million mile trucks were 4.7s , likely the most durable V-8 ever produced, will the 5.7 match that? I seriously doubt it, just not in the same league.

I would almost bet one of the other 3 would not have made it 13 1/2 years with no issues.
Would I buy another? Likely would.
TOYota's are great if you're only 5'6" tall.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

That may be a problem.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by StudDuck

That may be a problem.

It's nonsense. The Tundra cab is huge inside, particularly the Crewmax.

I'll have had mine 5 years in Feb. Its been a good truck and I plan to keep it another 5 years, at a minimum.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21

That may be a problem.

What year is yours? Both Tundra and Tacoma of mine are 2007, I am 6' and when the seats are all the way back I can't reach the pedals and barely reach the steering wheel????
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by hillbill

Both million mile trucks were 4.7s , likely the most durable V-8 ever produced, will the 5.7 match that? I seriously doubt it, just not in the same league.

You're correct on the million mile Tundras. That 4.7 was an incredibly durable engine.

That said, the 5.7 has a great track record for durability too. I know several guys that have their 5.7 over 500k. And one acquaintance, a surveyor, is just about to turn 700 kilometers. None of them have had problems beyond alternators, starters, water pumps.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
My wife has an older tundra, '08 with tye 5.7 engine. Runs liked a raped ape,gets decent mileage. A few years back I was working in Chicago,staying in our 32' travel trailer. Wife came to visit just before the job ended so that we could go see that depressing dump of a city. On the way home the transmission in my '06 GMC. Started overheating. I put the trailer on her Toyota and pulled it home with her tundra. I gotta say it did a fantastic job handling the trailer. I was particularly impressed with the braking on the Toyota since her truck didn't have a trailer brake set up at that time.

I have a 2020 Tundra limited Double cab ... great truck.

Ford Eco-boosts are OK, but it costs 4 - 6 Grand to replace the boost parts when they hit 180-200k... so it all evens out.
So if you were only planning on keeping the truck 5 years... the Ford might be better (still rolling the dice a bit).
Other than that the Tundra is going to last forever.

Tacoma’s are smaller for tall guys - I had a Tacoma Double Cab... the insides of the Tundra = the same as any other brand.
Posted By: Reba Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/29/21
Fuel tank capacity of the Tundra is?

Maybe two different sizes?
Posted By: sigguy Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
Originally Posted by Reba

26 Gal standard 38 Gal optional

I'm looking hard at a Ford F-250, 6.2L, but having a rough time finding one in the right color/gear ratio/options that the wife and I can agree on. For the same amount of money, I can buy a Toyota Tundra.....it sure does check a lot of boxes, but if I buy one, I don't want to start drinking mocha lattes and wearing skinny jeans. eek

The only complaints I hear about are fuel mileage, seats and beds rusting underneath at the corner welds....nothing Fluid Film won't handle.

From what I've seen, there are quite a few Tundra drivers on the 'fire.

I just sold my 2008 Tundra to get a 2021, since the V8 is going away in the 2022 model year. After 13 years that 2008 was the best truck I've ever owned. No rust anywhere, but we don't have salted roads here. Went through a starter and a water pump, other than that just maintenance. Still felt like it was new driving down the road, even after years of logging roads.

The Tundra is a great 1/2 ton truck, runs and drives great, and is an awesome vehicle for the sportsman IMO. They are dead nuts reliable, and hold their value like crazy. Driven reasonably you're looking at probably 13-14 mpg in the city and around 17 on the highway. Even though it is rated to tow 9-10K lbs, if you're going to regularly pull 7K+lbs, I'd look at a 3/4 or 1 ton. The payload is pretty wimpy too, at around 1400 lbs.

If you need the towing and payload of a 3/4 or 1 ton, the Tundra is not for you. Otherwise, they are hard to beat. If you wait for the redesigned 2022 Tundra, the V8 goes and in comes a twin turbo V6 with supposedly more towing and payload capacity.

Good luck in your search.

PS Skinny jeans and Mochas are optional!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
I just sold my 2017 TRD 4x4 with 5.7L at 65k miles. I really liked it for a 1/2-ton truck. Only a couple of complaints with it in the end, both of which I was aware of before buying it.

Had one warranty item. It blew fuses when the map lights were turned on.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
Originally Posted by sigguy
Originally Posted by Reba

26 Gal standard 38 Gal optional

PS Skinny jeans and Mochas are optional!

Good deal on the jeans and Mochas, as I want to maintain my bad-ass facade.
Posted By: viking Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
I got a 2014. Gas mileage isn’t the best 14.7. I am 6’4 and the crew max has lots of room. As far as seats go, I like them. Chevy trucks are made for Leperchaun’s. One feature that I really like is being able to adjust the headlights with a dial on the dashboard.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
My 2014 Tudra Crew 4x4 had 75k on it when I traded it. In that time it had a cold start sensor go out that would remind you of trying to start an old carbed truck when it was about 20* outside. Nav system went out twice, and complete infotainment system went out twice. If I kept it around 70 on the hwy it would get 17-17.5mpg, at 75 it would drop to 14. I don't miss it, as both the GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew and current Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel run circles around the Tundra.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
I ran an 08 for a while, and ended up selling it after 6 months or so. My complaints :

Rides like a buick. Very floaty and lumbers through turns. Probably should be a good thing, but I couldn't get used to it.
To go along with that, when towing moderate loads (6-7000 lbs), there's a bit more sway than I'm comfortable with coming out of corners. Tried to correct that with tires and never could.
With a canopy, if you put anything in the bed you are sagging. Easy enough to address, and maybe not even a problem if you don't haul a lot of weight.
Mileage sucks, doubly so when towing, and the tank is too small. They addressed the tank size issue later.
I hate the giant center console. There's a lot of room, but it ends up a black hole for stuff because it is all one compartment.

Otherwise, great trucks, and super comfortable. I went back to a 1ton diesel and dont see that changing anytime soon.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
Looking for a new truck. It's personal preference, but I've ruled-out a Dodge (and I currently own one), Chevrolet and possibly the Ford F-150.

I get a kick out of people that worry about fuel mileage on a truck.

The last thing I worry about is mileage when it comes to trucks.

Its a tool to me and I could care less what kind of mileage it gets as long as the mileage is comparable to the power I am getting.
Posted By: hlg Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
Probably going to ruffle some Toyota feathers here but gotta tell it like it is.
The Toyota Trundra has not been a hit here in my slice of midwest farm/ranch country.There are very few of them around,I would say the domestics out number the TT by at least 100-1.I know of only one guy who replaced his first TT with a second one.
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.It must be that many people are happy with their domestics,I am.
Originally Posted by hlg
Probably going to ruffle some Toyota feathers here but gotta tell it like it is.
The Toyota Trundra has not been a hit here in my slice of midwest farm/ranch country.There are very few of them around,I would say the domestics out number the TT by at least 100-1.I know of only one guy who replaced his first TT with a second one.
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.It must be that many people are happy with their domestics,I am.

Same here. I just don't see them.
Next to my business is a truck accessory shop. Really don't see them there. He works on more Titans than Tundras but it's a parade of Fords Chevys and Rams through the parking lot every day. I do see a occasional Tacoma but its rare to see a Tundra.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/30/21
I like the Tundra - on my third one now - had a 2005 4.7L, 2013 4.6L, now a 2020 5.7L. Put a little over 150k on each of the first two, just starting out with the new one. All reliable, comfortable, and great build quality. BUT...if you want/need the payload and towing capacity of an F250 you'll likely end up disapointed with a Tundra - they are not 3/4 ton trucks. IMO they are very good 1/2 ton plus trucks - but not a 3/4 ton.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I t get a kick out of people that worry about fuel mileage on a truck.

The last thing I worry about is mileage when it comes to trucks.

You must not drive much. I live in the sticks and I care about fuel mileage in every vehicle I have. I only drive the truck if I need to, otherwise it's the Camry that gets 38 mpg. I don't understand guys who have the attitude that mileage doesn't matter in a truck, does money fall from the sky when you get into a pickup? Fuel is money and I don't have money to waste.

Ask any OTR trucking company if they don't care about fuel mileage because they drive trucks. I fly for an airline and the things they do to save fuel would boggle your mind.
They all suck for fuel mileage, if you compare similar vehicle configs with V8 spark ignited engines, under real world use. You may see a few MPG difference, but you should also consider selling price. When I bought my 2017 Tundra, I got it for quite a bit less than a comparable Ford or GM so in my mind it offset that small MPG penalty.
Originally Posted by hlg

It seems regional. Tundras and Tacomas are very common here. Especially with the "overland" crowd.

When I visited my parents in FL, I don't remember seeing many of either though. Ford and GM for full size, and a ton of Nissan Frontiers.

Originally Posted by 4th_point
I just sold my 2017 TRD 4x4 with 5.7L at 65k miles. I really liked it for a 1/2-ton truck. Only a couple of complaints with it in the end, both of which I was aware of before buying it.

I forgot about the decorative lug nuts. The shiny covering deformed to the point where I couldn't get a socket on some of them without effort. They were replaced with Gorilla lug nuts.
Posted By: add Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/31/21
Originally Posted by hlg
The used resale values of the TT are no better than anything else.

Wrong.
Posted By: add Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/31/21

Wrong.
Posted By: hillbill Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/31/21
Resale?
Where I live a comparable year model Ford or Chevy sells for 3-5 grand less than the Tundra, I have had Three different Used Truck dealers try to buy mine at gas stations because of their resale value and demand.. Can't speak for the rest of the country but here they are hard to find used.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 01/31/21
I’ve got 25k miles on my 2020 Crewmax. Really like it.

My only fuel mileage “test” was driving 140 miles of round trip interstate, plus 15 miles of town driving. Refilled at the sane pump beginning and end. Set cruise on 75 and never hit brakes or other exiting and town. I forget exactly, but hand calculated it was 16.2, computer said 16.3. Crank it up to 80+ on those western interstates and it falls fast. Same for loading it up. Same for city driving.

It is definitely not a 3/4 ton. I’ve got an F250 also, the dreaded 6.0 that I really like actually, and there is no question as to them being different. Different horses for different courses.
I have a 2019 Limited Double Cab. Only has 11k miles on it, but has been great so far (Do need to get it in for the fuel pump recall). MPG is about what I'd expect from a 385hp V8. If I wanted to squeeze every last MPG out of a vehicle, I would've bought a Civic.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/01/21

I forgot about the decorative lug nuts. The shiny covering deformed to the point where I couldn't get a socket on some of them without effort. They were replaced with Gorilla lug nuts.

You got the swollen nuts too? Just went through that recently on my Tundra and replaced with the Gorilla lugs. Dealer told me that it was a corrosion/heat/shrink deal. BS....It was the guys on the impact wrench trying to pull the lugs through the hub that messed them up.

I think it's also happened on some other brands, not just the Tundra.
Posted By: tzone Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/01/21

Well if you're looking at F-250 gasser, you sure as schit shouldn't worry about the MPG of a Toyoter.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by tzone

Well if you're looking at F-250 gasser, you sure as schit shouldn't worry about the MPG of a Toyoter.

Reading comprehension is so very important. grin

I didn't say I was worried about it. It is one of the few complaints I've read about and/or heard about.

What ever happened to the RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) Program from back in the 70's? whistle
Posted By: SeanD Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
I love mine. I got the 4.6. Fuel economy combined city/hwy is the same as my dads 3.5 eco. Way less power though.

But I’m certain mine will be way more reliable and cheaper to run over the next ten years than the 3.5 eco.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Love my Tundra but must say the gas mileage bugs me. Lately, and it may be just the winter fuel mix I guess, my mileage has dropped to around 12-13 including highway. Looking at a Ford F250 7.3. Mileage will suck but dammit I'll have something I can pull a trailer with as needed with no issues.

Other than mpg, I've had quirky electronics in both Tundras I have owned. First one I sold at 160,000 mile or around there. Never repaired anything on it. This one is at 105,000 miles and looks and drives great. No issues other than on occasion the bluetooth weirds out for a while.

If I was to buy another Tundra I'd get the SR5 with no other packages. And immediately put in Bilstein 6112 shocks at highest setting, diff drop, new UCA up front, skid plate with oil change door, rear Bilstein 5160 shocks and a 1" coachbuilder shackles on the rear leafs. Their TRD offroad package sort of sucks.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by 30338
Love my Tundra but must say the gas mileage bugs me. Lately, and it may be just the winter fuel mix I guess, my mileage has dropped to around 12-13 including highway. Looking at a Ford F250 7.3. Mileage will suck but dammit I'll have something I can pull a trailer with as needed with no issues.

Other than mpg, I've had quirky electronics in both Tundras I have owned. First one I sold at 160,000 mile or around there. Never repaired anything on it. This one is at 105,000 miles and looks and drives great. No issues other than on occasion the bluetooth weirds out for a while.

If I was to buy another Tundra I'd get the SR5 with no other packages. And immediately put in Bilstein 6112 shocks at highest setting, diff drop, new UCA up front, skid plate with oil change door, rear Bilstein 5160 shocks and a 1" coachbuilder shackles on the rear leafs. Their TRD offroad package sort of sucks.

I would give that 7.3 some time before buying.

I know of 1 of them and it was in the shop most of last year waiting on engine parts. Busted crank.

Too new and no parts available for repairs.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by tzone

About the same.

My 2015 F-350 gets about 16 highway which is a majority of my driving, 12-14 pulling a trailer that weighs in at just over 10k with a loader on it.

Damn sure wouldn't recommend one though. Have spent about $5500 in repairs from 50k to 120k.

Posted By: 30338 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Thanks 10 gauge, appreciate the insights. Those type of issues have never cropped up on the 5.7 Toyota engine for me.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/02/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 30338

I would give that 7.3 some time before buying.

I know of 1 of them and it was in the shop most of last year waiting on engine parts. Busted crank.

Too new and no parts available for repairs.

Good advice.

I believe they are having trouble with the transmissions as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ford is now manufacturing the transmission that's mated to the 7.3?
Posted By: pennyky Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/14/21
Bought a brand new Tundra in 2016 for 38k...sold it for 31k almost 5 years later after putting almost 100k on it.

Towed numerous things with it, at times near its limit. It always performed. Besides oil changes and tires I never did anything to it.
The 22 Tundra should be coming out soon, with the new engine.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by pennyky
Bought a brand new Tundra in 2016 for 38k...sold it for 31k almost 5 years later after putting almost 100k on it.

Towed numerous things with it, at times near its limit. It always performed. Besides oil changes and tires I never did anything to it.

Go Toyoda
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by pennyky

Go Toyoda

yes

correct spelling
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/22/21
The front suspension... struts cv axles brakes and especially the 4x4 operating system on the F-150’s are a joke compared to the tundras. If it’s a pavement pounder I guess it doesn’t matter but for off-road use you couldn’t give me the F-150
Posted By: battue Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/22/21
Talked with a young guy today about his 4 Runner in the parking lot....345,000....Water pump, timing chain and regular maintenance...
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by battue
Talked with a young guy today about his 4 Runner in the parking lot....345,000....Water pump, timing chain and regular maintenance...

Par for the course.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
The front suspension... struts cv axles brakes and especially the 4x4 operating system on the F-150’s are a joke compared to the tundras. If it’s a pavement pounder I guess it doesn’t matter but for off-road use you couldn’t give me the F-150

I'd put a F150 up against a tundra any day all day,
Posted By: hillbill Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/23/21
In terms of build quality of the undercarriage parts the Tundra is definitely heavier built than Fords and Chevys, big diffs, big brakes, larger wheel bearings and they just don't wear out as quickly. I know a guy that does front end work, he tells me he almost never works on Tundra front ends unless they have been lifted.
Yes gas mileage is not great but overall reliability is.
Posted By: MarcH Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/23/21
"I'd put a F150 up against a tundra any day all day," Guarantee you've never had a Tundra. Tried a F150 last year - could not get back into a Tundra fast enough.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/24/21
Oh yes I did as a work truck ,differential replaced at 38k trans seals at 70'ish K ,brake replaced twice before 80k,and frame replaced..Tundra was the first to be released from our fleet before two years..Plus a Boilermaker friend of mine bought one for Personel use ,he only had it a couple of months we were hunting in the western mountains and the frame cracked over the front shocks Toyota welded it for the repair. YA I've e seen enough of the OVER-RATED TuRD....
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/24/21
You can keep your F-150. Struts busting off at the bases candy ass 4x4 actuators that bust or weaken and won’t engage. Too much power and axles snap. That all if you can keep the vacuum lines from cracking or popping off then sucking who know how much dirt through the engine. Top that off with exhaust that sits proud of the crossmember with already pitiful clearance. At roughly 1400 for a cat assembly, gets expensive real quick Maybe you’ve had rough luck with a Tundra but I run a fleet topping 114 half ton trucks now that see more honest 4x4 use in 6 months than most trucks will see in their lifetime. After 8 yrs of pushing F-150s here I see why all the wanna be cowboys roll their pants up.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/25/21
Looks like we both have problems with each other's ride there cowgirl,I'll keep my Ford and walk away from yours out in the woods and on the road with ease. Oh ya how bout them TuRD kind a truck beds that vibrate and shake on rough roads LOL
Posted By: Dogpopper Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/25/21
I think you have Tacoma and tundra confused. Guess I should be surprised
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/25/21
Sorry cowgirl I know the difference between a taco and a TuRD two vehicles you don’t see on a job site🤬
Posted By: battue Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/26/21
Wonder if the UAW is going to back Kamala in the next election????

They backed her in the most recent....
I’ve had a 5.7 Tundra since 2008. 160k miles. Towed with it many times. Many hunting and other backwoods trips requiring 4wd. It is the most trouble free vehicle I have owned.
I had 2017 Trd-Pro crewmax. Put 30k on it. The issue was $8k in damages from a deer. I’m 6”6” and saw no difference in getting in the tundra to my 2500 Sierra. I traded the tundra in on a 4-runner off road and love it. It’s the easiest vehicle I’ve owned to get in and out. The windshield is not angled back like others.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Any Tundra pilots here? - 02/28/21
Never owned one of the big 3 trucks. Test drove a Dodge Cummins the other day. Its a strong truck for sure. Noticed it was made in Mexico and just not sure I can give up the Texas made Tundra. Guess I'll wait and see what they come out with next in the Tundra. If not maybe I'll try the mexican truck out.
© 24hourcampfire