Home
Posted By: MGunns 3.0 duramax - 03/25/21
I’m seeing these videos of guys getting upwards of 30mpg on the new 3.0 duramax in the Silverado 1500.

Any first hand experience?

Thanks all
Posted By: NTG Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/26/21
No experience here, but I'd appreciate input on the 3.0 as well.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/27/21
It looked interesting to me until I saw the oil pump belt replacement at 150k. Have to pull transfer case and trans to get at it since it's in the back of the engine. Just my thoughts, otherwise I liked the idea.
Posted By: walt501 Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/27/21
I just don't see where pulling the trans and transfer case is that big of a deal. I'm sure a good mechanic could complete the job in short order. It reminds me of the truck "experts" who advise against a Super Duty because "they have to pull the cab to work on them". Removing the cab gives much easier access to work on the vehicle, and I believe there are only 8 bolts holding the cab to the frame on a crew cab Super Duty.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/29/21
I have a 2020 Silverado with the 3.0 Duramax. About 12000 miles on it now. In mixed driving, I average about 23.5 mpg. My commute is about 250 miles per week of 75% highway and 25% city driving. On pure highway trips, it averages between 25-32 mpg, depending on wind, speed etc. I have larger than factory AT tires, so I imagine that will cut into mileage a bit as well. For my driving style, I really love the 3.0 Duramax. I don't have a heavy foot and I like it better than the 5.3 V-8 that I have had in the past.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/09/21
Duckster, you have one heck of an engine. Almost full torque a 1600 rpms. No variable valve timing on a fkn v6 is going to produce that low end.

A long stroke inline six, where the stroke is longer than the bore diameter, that's a truck motor. With the inline 6, you have a piston firing off, every 60 degrees of crank rotation, rather than the 90 degrees of a v8.

I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like. The people who are prematurely crying about the oil pump belt, the motor just came out for Christ's sake. Give it a rest parrots

In the half ton world, hats off to gm for slapping the only firewood tractor motor in there......

Posted By: MGunns Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/12/21
Thanks for the info guys
Posted By: K1500 Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/12/21
Just keep in mind that based on the price differential of gas and diesel you need to get better mileage in a diesel to cover the fuel costs. In my area it’s about 15% more for diesel right now, and that gap is usually larger than that. DEF expense is typically fairly small, but some of the emissions related expenses associated with diesels can be pretty salty.

The 2011 Duramax 6.6 I had was a great truck, but I had to replace all the NOx sensors, the DEF tank, all the glow plugs, and it had a failed EGR cooler bypass valve. Plus, the DEF/computer shenanigans threatened to leave me on the side of the road in an artificially induced ‘limp mode’ several times. I was also at the end of expected life of the DPF, alone with the ever present threat of the $10,000 Bosch CP4 fuel pump failure.

Maybe they have all that garbage better sorted on the new ones, I don’t know. I also have no idea how the baby diesels are. I would say the new diesels are insanely powerful but more problematic than the diesels of old. I would say the new gassers are also insanely powerful and more reliable than the gassers of old. I guess you gotta pick what works for you.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/12/21
Here's my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4, Ecodiesel, 3.92 rearend, from a recent turkey hunting trip.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/13/21
So did you buy one?
Posted By: MGunns Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/14/21
Not yet HawkDriver,

I love and hate looking for a new truck. I’m looking at the trailboss custom if I could find one in 6.2, the 6.6 gas 2500 or the 3.0 duramax for the gas mileage. I guess we’re blessed to have these decisions

Mgunns
Posted By: 240NMC Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/04/21
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
It looked interesting to me until I saw the oil pump belt replacement at 150k. Have to pull transfer case and trans to get at it since it's in the back of the engine. Just my thoughts, otherwise I liked the idea.

Pulling cases and transmissions are not very difficult. YOu do need the equipment such as lifts, supports, and jacks that make the job easy. You can have a transmission out of a 1/2 ton truck in 3 to 4 hours and if you servicing a high mileage truck, time to change out the rear seal at the time. No point fixing the truck, and still having an oil leak....
Posted By: fburgtx Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/23/21
“We can use an internal belt that requires changing at 150k, or counter-rotating gears that’ll last forever. Which one should we do???”

“How much can dealers charge to disconnect drive shafts, drop the tranny/transfer case, and replace the belt/change the main seal/change the tranny fluid/replace the u-joints???”

“Oh, about $3k....”

“Put a belt in it!”
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/26/21
People panic about the dumbest [bleep], to worry about something that you’ll have to do in 150,000 miles is silly. I remember when my Toyota’s needed a timing belt every 60,000 miles to the tune of $600 a pop, didn’t steer anyone from owning them.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/27/21
Geartrains are great for longevity but can pose problems for noise. Automotive manufacturers keep that in high consideration these days. Quiet engines, especially diesels are a priority for many applications. Using a belt is a simple solution.
Posted By: badger Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Geartrains are great for longevity but can pose problems for noise. Automotive manufacturers keep that in high consideration these days. Quiet engines, especially diesels are a priority for many applications. Using a belt is a simple solution.

Actually a much cheaper solution. I don't think noise is a consideration with a diesel engine in this instance. Timing belts became popular in the 70's and 80's because single and double row chains would "grow" as they got to operating temperature. This became an issue for emissions compliance. Timing belts offered more consistent valve timing regardless of temperature, until they broke. Current triplex type chains and variable valve timing makes this a non-issue, but are more expensive to manufacture.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by badger

Actually a much cheaper solution. I don't think noise is a consideration with a diesel engine in this instance. Timing belts became popular in the 70's and 80's because single and double row chains would "grow" as they got to operating temperature. This became an issue for emissions compliance. Timing belts offered more consistent valve timing regardless of temperature, until they broke. Current triplex type chains and variable valve timing makes this a non-issue, but are more expensive to manufacture.

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned timing chains, as you posted. fburgtx mentioned gears, and I posted "geartrains". Not timing chains. Big difference.

I guarantee that noise is always a concern, especially for a passenger vehicle. Even industrial engines. Spark ignited and especially compression ignited.
Posted By: badger Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/27/21
Originally Posted by badger

I don't think anyone in this thread mentioned timing chains, as you posted. fburgtx mentioned gears, and I posted "geartrains". Not timing chains. Big difference.

I guarantee that noise is always a concern, especially for a passenger vehicle. Even industrial engines. Spark ignited and especially compression ignited.

Ok, not going to argue semantics here, but technically, "geartrains" refer to components that transmit rotating torque, as in a manual or automatic gearbox. Belts are not generally used in automotive applications for that purpose. The alternative to a belt on a crankshaft driven component, whether it be a valvetrain or an oil pump, would be a gear drive, direct drive, or a chain drive. So, me referring to a timing chain drive, instead of just a chain drive was not accurate. Still no question in my mind though, that the use of a belt in this case is cost driven, or a concession to a packaging problem, rather than anything else.
Posted By: AEL Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/01/21
I've got a 1500 Silverado Z71 LTZ with the 3.0 Duramax. I bought it at the beginning of 2020 and have put 35,000 miles on it so far. Mileage has been great - I've averaged right around 27 for the whole time. If I'm driving steady highway miles at moderate speeds, I'll see around 30. At 80 mph or so on the interstate, it is around 25-27. Towing anything has a bigger effect on mileage than with the bigger diesels. I like the engine and the 10-speed tranny combo for my driving. Even with its relatively low hp numbers, the torque is good and its plenty fast.

The truck was problem free until about 33,000 miles. Then the anti-lock brakes and stability control system went out. The dealership replaced the computer control module for that system and I still had problems, so they ended up replacing the brake master cylinder. There was also a problem with the DEF system at the same time that was causing the truck to feel jerky at speed, at it was affecting the fueling. The dealership had to flash the computer control for the DEF system (this is all based on what they told me - its beyond my shade-tree mechanical ability). All was covered under warranty, but doesn't inspire confidence at this point.

Hopefully that will be the end of the issues. 2,000 miles later all seems fine.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/19/22
We have a 3.0 Diramax and love the torque with the 10 speed transmission. We get 24-31mpg. We can haul 3 big round bales on a flatbed trailer and get about 22mpg.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/19/22
That’s awesome mileage you all are getting with the 3.0

I have a 2.8 in a Colorado ZR2 and about the best I’ve seen is 25-26MPG in any of my driving.

I’d definitely take a look at the 1500 if it’s that much better.

Good luck truck shopping.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/19/22
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Duckster, you have one heck of an engine. Almost full torque a 1600 rpms. No variable valve timing on a fkn v6 is going to produce that low end.

A long stroke inline six, where the stroke is longer than the bore diameter, that's a truck motor. With the inline 6, you have a piston firing off, every 60 degrees of crank rotation, rather than the 90 degrees of a v8.

I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like. The people who are prematurely crying about the oil pump belt, the motor just came out for Christ's sake. Give it a rest parrots

In the half ton world, hats off to gm for slapping the only firewood tractor motor in there......

Whoa there , help me with the math...ok, 720 deg rotation in any 4 stroke eng divided by 6 cylinders....isn't that 120 degrees between firing strokes?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/19/22
Nice engine as is the engine on the Ram.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/20/22
Very interested in a 4x4 Crew cab 6.5 ft bed just want to know how it will do with short trips sitting all winter and DEF issues, and cold weather. Do not tow more than 6K and tired of 2004 Silverado 5.3 lack of torque.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/21/22
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Very interested in a 4x4 Crew cab 6.5 ft bed just want to know how it will do with short trips sitting all winter and DEF issues, and cold weather. Do not tow more than 6K and tired of 2004 Silverado 5.3 lack of torque.

I worry about that with my Colorado, but I mostly run it back and forth to work which is 100 miles round trip and up and down the freeway weekly. If it’s cold it’ll idle for a few minutes but I make a point of not letting it sit for long periods of time. Just about to turn a 100k on the truck so I don’t know if I’m right or wrong, but something is work.

Awesome little motors. I’m sure the 3.0 is even better.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/22/22
I have a suburban on order with the 3.0. I'll be lucky to see it this year.

Bb
Posted By: blairvt Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by AEL
I've got a 1500 Silverado Z71 LTZ with the 3.0 Duramax. I bought it at the beginning of 2020 and have put 35,000 miles on it so far. Mileage has been great - I've averaged right around 27 for the whole time. If I'm driving steady highway miles at moderate speeds, I'll see around 30. At 80 mph or so on the interstate, it is around 25-27. Towing anything has a bigger effect on mileage than with the bigger diesels. I like the engine and the 10-speed tranny combo for my driving. Even with its relatively low hp numbers, the torque is good and its plenty fast.

The truck was problem free until about 33,000 miles. Then the anti-lock brakes and stability control system went out. The dealership replaced the computer control module for that system and I still had problems, so they ended up replacing the brake master cylinder. There was also a problem with the DEF system at the same time that was causing the truck to feel jerky at speed, at it was affecting the fueling. The dealership had to flash the computer control for the DEF system (this is all based on what they told me - its beyond my shade-tree mechanical ability). All was covered under warranty, but doesn't inspire confidence at this point.

Hopefully that will be the end of the issues. 2,000 miles later all seems fine.
sounds like a GM vehicle
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/22/22
DEF has shorter shelf life in hot weather than winter
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/22/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a suburban on order with the 3.0. I'll be lucky to see it this year.

Bb

I’ve heard nothing but great things about their 3.0 Duramax in Tahoes and trucks. Mileage is better than my ZR2 with the 2.8 and way less emissions BS also. Not sure if the 3.0 system is more refined or whatever but I’d think that Suburban should be a great rig BB.

Getting over 25 MPG from a Suburban is good, no matter how you look at it.
Posted By: MGunns Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/23/22
Well to follow up... trucks were few and far between and I hear they still are. I bought a 2021 f150 5.0 and like it pretty well. Low to mid 20s might but great power. I would have bought a chevy 3.0 I think but absolutely none were in stock. Regardless, I'm happy with purchase so far
Posted By: TxJW Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/23/22
FYI, next door neighbor owns a Diesel truck repair center, with many years of experience, and he works on all of the brands. He just purchased a 6.2 gas and will not buy any of the late model diesel engines due to the extreme cost of repairs and lack of parts. He says the EPA regulations have eliminated any advantage diesel had over gas and they are only worth it if you have the need for the torque for extreme towing. Just another opinion.
Posted By: Stix Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/25/22
Your neighbor is a smart man. People are dumping diesel rigs out here like crazy. 10-12k premium. Astronomical repair and maintenance and the fuel is higher. 99% of people who think they need one DONT.
Posted By: K1500 Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/25/22
My diesel mechanic dumped his for a 3/4 ton gasser. When the guy that works on them and can basically do the work for the price of parts says ‘forget this, give me a gasser’ you know it’s getting bad.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/11/22
I have put about 50,000 miles total now on two different Silverado 3.0 diesel trucks. No issues with the motors or with the trucks themselves. I would agree with what other posters have said regarding mileage. 60-65 mph and minimal wind - will generally get 28-30 mpg. Faster or more windy, more like 25-26. I average about 24.5 mpg per tank with my mix of commuting/daily driving. I drive about 60 miles per day for work/personal use and that is probably about 70% highway/30% city. Very quiet and smooth motor and the 10 speed tranny works great with the 3.0 motor. Not a rocket off the line but plenty of pickup once it is in motion. Have a new Trail Boss with the 3.0 on order but it probably won't be here for another 6 months or so.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/06/22
Just a quick update. Had to tow a 6x6 deer blind out to the ranch on a 16 foot tandem axle trailer. Got an average of 17.4 mpg for the entire 450 mile trip. Not a real heavy load but given the size/shape, it did catch a lot of wind. 65 mph highway driving.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/06/22
That’s pretty damn good I’d say. My Ram 3500 won’t get 17 going down hill with a tailwind.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/18/22
Traded my 2020 Ram Ecodiesel for a GMC Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax. Admittedly this was on level ground with a 15mph tailwind, but nevertheless I was impressed. It's a very smooth riding and running machine.

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/18/22
I was curious about numbers on this 3.0 duramax and hadn't seen any posted here.

277 hp
460 lb-ft torque
Posted By: walt501 Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/18/22
For 2023 the 3.0L Duramax has been revised.

The new GM turbocharged 3.0L I6 LZ0 diesel Duramax engine replaces the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered for the 2022 model year. The new engine is rated at 305 horsepower and 495 pound-feet of torque, a 10-percent increase in power and a 7.6-percent increase in torque compared to the 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque produced by the turbocharged 3.0L I6 LM2 diesel Duramax engine offered previously.

Click Here
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Traded my 2020 Ram Ecodiesel for a GMC Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax. Admittedly this was on level ground with a 15mph tailwind, but nevertheless I was impressed. It's a very smooth riding and running machine.

JG why’d you swap? Problems with the Ecodiesel or just time to trade.

32 MPGs in a full-size wouldn’t stink a bit!
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by walt501
I just don't see where pulling the trans and transfer case is that big of a deal. I'm sure a good mechanic could complete the job in short order. It reminds me of the truck "experts" who advise against a Super Duty because "they have to pull the cab to work on them". Removing the cab gives much easier access to work on the vehicle, and I believe there are only 8 bolts holding the cab to the frame on a crew cab Super Duty.
What about all the electronics?
Posted By: huntsonora Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/20/22
I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like.

Amen! I’m really excited to see Rams new twin turbo inline 6 gas engine. I see huge potential for longevity and reliability if done right
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by beretzs

I had 43,600 miles on the Ram, and started getting error codes for "service ESC system, Service trailer brake system, and service 4wd system". Was getting these even when no trailer was hooked up and in spite of the fact that the 4wd system worked exactly as it should in all modes. Took it to the dealer and they cleared out the codes, but they returned on my way home. Figured out I could start the vehicle in "auto 4wd" mode and the errors wouldn't appear except for the "service 4wd" code that would intermittently go on and off, but the other two wouldn't show up at all, which was good because when those showed up the cruise wouldn't work. Anyway, to make a long story short, took it back to the dealer, they think it needs a new ABS module, which would take 3 months to source the part. The dealer where I traded it off was also a Ram dealer and they said they would deal with Mopar on it, so I got rid of it.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I've never found an inline six motor I didn't like.

Amen! I’m really excited to see Rams new twin turbo inline 6 gas engine. I see huge potential for longevity and reliability if done right

Sounds interesting Drum! Hope you're doing well buddy.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22

I had 43,600 miles on the Ram, and started getting error codes for "service ESC system, Service trailer brake system, and service 4wd system". Was getting these even when no trailer was hooked up and in spite of the fact that the 4wd system worked exactly as it should in all modes. Took it to the dealer and they cleared out the codes, but they returned on my way home. Figured out I could start the vehicle in "auto 4wd" mode and the errors wouldn't appear except for the "service 4wd" code that would intermittently go on and off, but the other two wouldn't show up at all, which was good because when those showed up the cruise wouldn't work. Anyway, to make a long story short, took it back to the dealer, they think it needs a new ABS module, which would take 3 months to source the part. The dealer where I traded it off was also a Ram dealer and they said they would deal with Mopar on it, so I got rid of it.

I am getting a bit of the same deal. My 2020 is in for it's 2nd complete fuel system replacement right now. Over 2 months. I have been raising hell with FCA and the dealer but between the parts backup and all of the other horseshit, I am tired of waiting on stuff. It is a few months too old for a buyback. I was given a 1500 loaner, but that doesn't help move my gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers.

Sounds like it worked out great for you JG.
Posted By: 79S Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22

I am getting a bit of the same deal. My 2020 is in for it's 2nd complete fuel system replacement right now. Over 2 months. I have been raising hell with FCA and the dealer but between the parts backup and all of the other horseshit, I am tired of waiting on stuff. It is a few months too old for a buyback. I was given a 1500 loaner, but that doesn't help move my gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers.

Sounds like it worked out great for you JG.

Friend bought a brand new gmc 1 ton with diesel few months ago. About 2 weeks later in the shop I forget what was wrong but it wasn’t a 1 day fix. They ended having that truck for over a month waiting on parts. My other bud bough a new f350 last year. Paperwork all signed he didn’t even make it off the lot if I remember right. It was a computer chip something I will have ask him when I see him. Sat at ford for a few weeks. They did give him a nice f150 for a loaner truck. GMC didn’t give my buddy chit.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22
John, it’s a complete ball buster. Mines a new 2020, but since it was over 18 months from time of purchase it doesn’t qualify for lemon law buy back.

Today, I’m seriously getting the Ford 7.3 gasser.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/21/22

I traded mine as well JG , I was getting 22-23 HWY with the 5.7HemiHybrid. I just needed something for my wife and I barely drove it 6500 miles in one year . I am going to look at another Truck but have not decided on one yet. I have met exactly one person that has a 3.0 duramax and he was ecstatic with it.
Posted By: MGunns Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/22/22
Looks like it'll all be electric trucks soon. Putting dual exhaust on my 5.0 f150 hopefully this weekend
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 10/14/22
Talked to my nephew in Oregon logging country and some loggers are using the 3.0 GM diesel in their crummies will be interesting how they hold up.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/24/23
Now over 60k in the 3.0 Duramax. I did have a check engine light that turned out to be the need to replace one of the sensors in the exhaust system. Other than that which was under warranty, no issues
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/24/23
Originally Posted by duckster
Now over 60k in the 3.0 Duramax. I did have a check engine light that turned out to be the need to replace one of the sensors in the exhaust system. Other than that which was under warranty, no issues

Good stuff. Thanks for the update!
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/26/23
Duckster, thats better than a toyota Tacoma I bought few years back:

Long before 60k miles:
Front differential disconnect inop lost 4wd
Rear axle seal

Great engine in that truck. I'm building a gm inline 6 right now: 292 chevy.

Forged .060 high compression pistons, roller cam, roller rockers, clifford headers, clifford intake manifold. Davis Unified Ignition (HEI)
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/26/23
That 292 sounds like it'll be a good motor Mainer. What are you putting it in?
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/27/23
Beretz, developed a bad oil leak in my 2002 7.3 powerstroke. So just putting together a simple/cheap gas truck till I get that 7.3 pulled and overhauled.

292 is going in a 1968 k20 along with 4:56 geared axles and hydroboost brakes from a military m1028 suarebody with 13000 miles. Axles have detroit locker in rear, limited slip diff in front. 1 and 1/4 ton leaf springs.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/27/23
Beretz, developed a bad oil leak in my 2002 7.3 powerstroke. So just putting together a simple/cheap gas truck till I get that 7.3 pulled and overhauled.

292 is going in a 1968 k20 along with 4:56 geared axles and hydroboost brakes from a military m1028 suarebody with 13000 miles. Axles have detroit locker in rear, limited slip diff in front. 1 and 1/4 ton leaf springs.

That old K20 should be a beast! Maybe not friendly on gas but man, if you can keep it fed you should be able to get about anywhere you’ve got business taking a truck.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/31/23
Posted By: KirkJ Re: 3.0 duramax - 02/09/23
I just bought one last Oct new, now have about 10,700 mile. Love it so far and after much research, it’s what I was looking for.
Around town average driving get about 23 mpg, on trips including running around when i get there usually 26 mpg average. That’s numbers from the computer.
It also shows best mileage over 50 miles. 31.2. I have averaged 29 for interstate trips.

Very happy
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 02/13/23
My average for 75% highway and 25% city has been pretty steady at 24.5 mpg. That is with larger than factory AT tires
Posted By: specialK Re: 3.0 duramax - 02/19/23
Have a 2022 Trail Boss with 15k miles and have averaged 21 since new. Not what I was expecting and definitely not worth the extra cost of diesel and DEF.
Posted By: MGunns Re: 3.0 duramax - 02/20/23

Good to hear. What kind of mpg have you been getting.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/23
Sorry, had not checked back in awhile. I generally get 24.5 mpg on my commute/daily drive. I drive 56 miles daily for my commute which is 80% highway and 20% in town. It will do 28-30 mpg on the highway 60 mph. About 24 mpg at 70 mph. Depends on how much wind there is out there on the highway.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/23
Originally Posted by specialK
Have a 2022 Trail Boss with 15k miles and have averaged 21 since new. Not what I was expecting and definitely not worth the extra cost of diesel and DEF.

My current 3.0 Duramax is the Trail Boss version. Only 3200 miles so far but have been averaging the same 24-24.5 mpg as I did with the RST versions.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/23
How are the 3.0 Duramax and the truck holding up, issues, waiting to buy one inventory is building and rumor that prices will drop.
Posted By: gene270 Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/23
hopefully the 3.0 is better than general motors transmissions
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/16/23
How are the 3.0 Duramax and the truck holding up, issues, waiting to buy one inventory is building and rumor that prices will drop.
I have put about 65k on 3 different Duramax trucks. Only issue was a exhaust sensor at 32k that was replaced under warranty. No transmission issues
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/17/23
Very impressed with the low-end torque coming out of those 3.0's

Over 400 ft lbs at the wheels. Must be one towing son of a gun-half-ton.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/21/23
I don't tow a lot, the heaviest is a 16 ft. open tandem axle trailer with fencing materials and such. Or a couple of UTV. No problems towing those items
Posted By: Double_D Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/22/23
Been very happy with mine……37,000 trouble free miles so far

I average 26-27 mpg…….pulled a 6k pound travel trailer last week and got 17 mpg

Mine is a 2021 gmc Sierra elevation edition

Sips def unless you are towing then it uses a little

One of my fishing buds bought one around the same time and his has been trouble free as well
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/22/23
Two people I have spoken to that have that engine in a GMC Sierra and they were pleased as punch with it.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/25/23
Mileage seems to be improving, now at 7200 miles and generally getting over 25 mpg. Had to run to farm yesterday, calm with no wind, 58-62 mph over 100 miles - trip average was right at 30 mpg.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/28/23
My buddy has one and that thing has impressive power.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/29/23
What’s the towing capacity on your trucks? I looked at a 3.0L Duramax and it was only 5000lbs with regular hitch. Seems really low. I was thinking it would be a good replacement for my 2500 but it can’t tow much. The fuel mileage would be nice.
Posted By: K1500 Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/29/23
Heck, a Nissan Pathfinder can tow 6,000 pounds (when properly equipped, etc. ad infinitum).
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/30/23
Originally Posted by harv3589
What’s the towing capacity on your trucks? I looked at a 3.0L Duramax and it was only 5000lbs with regular hitch. Seems really low. I was thinking it would be a good replacement for my 2500 but it can’t tow much. The fuel mileage would be nice.

All you wanna know about the 3.0 Duramax.. Looks like it's rated to tow 9500lbs. I love mine.

https://dieselresource.com/diesel-resources/3-0l-lm2-duramax-specs/
Posted By: walt501 Re: 3.0 duramax - 05/30/23
Maximum tow rating for a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 3.0 Duramax with the heavy duty tow package, crew cab, 4 wheel drive is 12,900 pounds.

Complete tow specs - click here
Posted By: harv3589 Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/02/23
I got that from the spec sheet in the truck. But it could haul just over 8000 if you put a weight distribution hitch on it. I was really surprised by the low tow capacity.

I tried to build one but every time I wanted to add the heavy duty tow package it would make me switch to the 5.3.
Posted By: KirkJ Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/02/23
I looked at one with the heavier tow package, it had 3.73 gears. Most out there have the 3.23 gears which helps with overall gas mileage. I have 17000 trouble free miles and love the truck. I average 23-24 mpg day in day out every tank.went to Florida in March, 1700 miles total with a 26.5 mog average for whole trip. Have gotten as high as 29.5 on interstate only trip. The max mpg over 50 miles as shown by dash computer is 33.5

Like I said, very happy
Posted By: VAN77 Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/02/23
My buddy has had one for a couple years and hasn't had a minutes problem from it. Last I asked him he was getting close to 30 mpg on average. He's retired, so his driving is mainly local. I have a 6.2 in a Trail Boss and his mpg beats mine hands down.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/02/23
Towing is around 9200 lbs if I remember correctly
Posted By: drano 25 Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/23/23
The 10 speed GM is using is the same as used in the F150. It was codeveloped, under Ford’s leadership, by resources at both GM & Ford.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/23/23
Duckster how is your oil consumption heard some use oil
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 06/26/23
Duckster how is your oil consumption heard some use oil

I have not had any unusual oil consumption. I get the oil changed about every 5k-6k miles, depending on the on board oil life monitor. Just did a recent trip out to the ranch, 220 miles at 65-68 mph and averaged 28.9 mpg. Trip home was over 30 mpg but there was a pretty good tailwind.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/09/23
Talked to guy this week here in Alaska who has a 3.0 Diesel, GMC AT4 1500 2020 with 100K on it no issues at all averaging 23 to 27 MPG he loves the truck.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/10/23
Talked to guy this week here in Alaska who has a 3.0 Diesel, GMC AT4 1500 2020 with 100K on it no issues at all averaging 23 to 27 MPG he loves the truck.

Man, the mileage folks get from these 3.0's is excellent. My little Duramax Colorado ZR2 doesn't do any better than those numbers.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/11/23
I've had mine over a year now, and have averaged 23.7 over the 20k miles on the odometer. On flat ground with no wind I'll set the cruise on 75mph and get 28-30 mpg. I'm more than pleased with mine.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/11/23
Just took a trip out to the ranch last weekend. 225 miles one way. Average for 450 miles was right at 28.9, average speed approx 65-68 mph
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/11/23
Just took a trip out to the ranch last weekend. 225 miles one way. Average for 450 miles was right at 28.9, average speed approx 65-68 mph

I know when/if I ever wear out my little Colorado I'd be all over one of them.
Posted By: Muskrat2090 Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/11/23
Duckster, did it start right off with great MPG or did it take some miles before it showed? I took a test drive in a 3.0 and was just ok for instant mpg so wondering if there's quite a range?
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/13/23
Originally Posted by Muskrat2090
Duckster, did it start right off with great MPG or did it take some miles before it showed? I took a test drive in a 3.0 and was just ok for instant mpg so wondering if there's quite a range?

Generally they have started out with great mileage from the beginning. Current truck has 10k miles on it but it has been getting good mileage all along, as far as I can remember. This version is a Trail Boss which has a 2 inch lift and no front air dam so it should theoretically be worse but it is the best one yet in terms of mileage. I do have a tonneau cover on it, not sure how much that helps.
Posted By: glosto Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/16/23
Looking to buy a 3.0 Duramax as soon as the 24 models come out. My question is about the gear ratio. Was planning on ordering the truck in the Trail Boss package and was thinking i might need the lower gears for towing. I see they have an option for 3:73 but was wondering if the motor had enough torque to get by with 3:42. Also can you get a goosneck hitch from factory?
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/18/23
My current Duramax has the 3.23 rear axle. The motor has lots of torque and I have never been wanting for power to pass or merge. Have not really towed anything heavier than a couple of SxS with it but that is not what I bought it for, my daily commute is 28 miles each way so I got it for the mileage. I recently towed a SxS on a single axle trailer out to a friends place, 200 miles, averaged 19.7 mpg
Posted By: glosto Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/19/23
Talked to the dealership today and salesman said 3:23 is what all they get in has, didnt think they could get 3:73 with the 3.0, not sure he knew what he was talking about. He did say that with the 10 speed trans it would not make much difference the way the gearing in trans was setup. Maybe hes right on that. Would just rather have the lower gear ratio. I think the 3:73 might just come with trailor tow package.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/19/23
That's the benefit of 10 gears and 3 OD's. The lower ratio lets it run easy empty and the 8-9-10 OD's lets it pick a place to keep it in the power.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/19/23
This is the 3rd Duramax I have had, none of them have been lacking in power for their tow rating. About 9600 lbs if I remember correctly. Looking at the Chevrolet site, you might be able to get a 3.42 axle option with the diesel. I have just never felt the need for more power and I appreciate the better mileage.
Posted By: Old__School Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/23/23
So according to GM the '23 3.0 DuraMax got some major revisions ...

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/new-2023-gm-duramax-diesel-engine-improved/
Posted By: wbyfan1 Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/24/23
I've been contemplating a new Trail Boss with the 3.0, but dayum, owning a GM product makes me nervous. Too many friends and coworkers having horrible luck with their GM cars/trucks, spending 1000's on repairs. I was real close back in June, but then started reading about all the oil consumption issues with the new LZ0. Ughh!! Additionally, I tend to keep my trucks for 10-12 years, so I'm not convinced at this point a new GM truck would make it to the finish line... without first costing me dearly. Reading the positive stories above give me hope, however.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/24/23
If I was getting rid of my 17 Colorado Duramax today, I'd likely jump on the 1/2 ton Duramax. So far, I haven't seen much that I don't like about them, mileage and power seem to be great.
Posted By: Old__School Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/24/23
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
I've been contemplating a new Trail Boss with the 3.0, but dayum, owning a GM product makes me nervous. Too many friends and coworkers having horrible luck with their GM cars/trucks, spending 1000's on repairs. I was real close back in June, but then started reading about all the oil consumption issues with the new LZ0. Ughh!! Additionally, I tend to keep my trucks for 10-12 years, so I'm not convinced at this point a new GM truck would make it to the finish line... without first costing me dearly. Reading the positive stories above give me hope, however.

Regarding the oil consumption, do they know where the oil is going?
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 07/24/23
My Duramax trucks have had the LM2, no unusual oil consumption noted and I have put over 60,000 miles on them.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: 3.0 duramax - 08/06/23
Few questions for those driving the 3.0 duramax...Do you have some of the same diesel issues guys saw with the full size trucks such as having to run on the highway to regen? How do they do for shorter intown trips? Are you having expensive maintenance on fuel filter changes?

I am very intrigued and looking at a 2023 3.0 silverado CC Standard Bed. But I work in a city, 7 miles from my house. I don't have long commutes and just curious how the diesel would do in this situation. As far as towing, I have a Travel Trailer it will two a couple weeks a year thats 7500 pounds - so not really concerned about that side of things.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 08/08/23
My commute is 70% highway/30% city so I have never had a regen issue. I guess I don't know about a lot of really short trips.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 09/16/23
Finally found a 2022 Chevrolet 3.0 Max Towing package 18k on it looked great till I looked under it totally rusted! From an Alberta dealers auction and shipped to Alaska! Been looking for a long time for that package. Well still looking! Will be a big surprise if some one does not inspect it well. Thinking the dealer would have kept his mouth shut!
Posted By: glosto Re: 3.0 duramax - 11/08/23
Anyone know if the plant building the silverado 1500 with the 3.0 is turning out any vehicles. Have had a 24 trailboss ordered for going on 4 months and still has no build date. Starting to wonder if it will ever happen.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 11/16/23
I had a Trail Boss with the 3.0 on order for almost 7 months before it finally arrived last Feb.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/02/23
Looked for over a year to Find a New 2024 1500 GMC Crew Cab std box with 3.0 and Max Towing package 3.73 gears. Finally got order placed late September and it's built on its way! Max Tow package was not available for quite a while.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/02/23
My dad just bought a new GMC elevation series 1500 with 3.0. He loves it. He just got back from a trip to OK from MI. Got between 26-27mpg on average.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/13/23
Been looking at an AT4 3.0 just don't know about the rest of the truck. Never had a GM or Chevy truck and, in general, haven't heard the greatest about them.

Think the 3.5 Ecoboost is out, seems like overall real-world average mileage is around 17. The Lariat I'm looking at is damn nice, but they need to up their mileage.
Posted By: JPro Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/13/23
Around here, diesel is usually 30-40% more expensive than 87 octane gas, so bear that in mind also. If buying a 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4 and leaving the stock tires on it, you can expect about 19-20 average if you run highway about 60-70% of the time. At least that's what mine averaged with the stock Goodyears for the first 40k miles. Some tanks were 20.5-21mpg. I lost about 2mpg going to 34" E-rated all terrains. If going diesel in a new half ton pickup, it's going to have to average around 24-25mpg to break even on the fuel costs versus regular unleaded gasoline.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/14/23
Every 3.0 diesel I have had will do 24-25 on mixed driving and closer to 28-29 on highway. As always, the faster you drive, the lower your mpg.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/16/23
Wife borrowed my dad's gmc with the 3.0 to go to st Ignace mi. Our truck gets 11mpg. 250miles one way. She made it up there and drive around for the weekend and she's at half tank.

Better than my truck
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/16/23
They’re getting pretty incredible mileage. Man, you can’t beat that.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/16/23
She drives like miss daisy so take that for what it's worth
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/17/23
My Dodge 1/2 ton (5.7 Hemi) consistently gets 20+ mpg. It is actually sitting at 22 right now. I have seen it right at 24 on a few occasions. I have a sales job and drive a ton of highway miles. It does better than my buddy’s Ecoboost, and has the same power when needed. The Dodge body is junk, though.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/17/23
They went a tad over 400 miles on 3/4 tank. They just stopped to fill up. Gauge said 118 miles to empty, was 112 miles to home. She put 18 gallons in.

Not bad for that 3.0
Posted By: glosto Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/17/23
After 4 months my 24 Trail Boss with 3.0 arrived friday. Sent out for Boards and bedliner now. Wanted a frontend replacement but they said not one available for the 1500 with diesel yet. Anyone know of one available?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/18/23
My new 24 GMC Sierra Elevation 3.0 with max tow package is supposed to be here before the end of the year!
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/18/23
I can routinely get over 500 miles per tank, sometimes closer to 600 depending on weather and speed.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/18/23
I have a 23 RST CC 4X4, 6'7" bed, 3.0 (305 hp, 495torque). 8 275/60/20 BFGS. Only mods are a 2" front level and rear airbags for towing.

Bought the truck end of July, just hit 8000 miles....I am averaging around 22-23 in town on my work commute. Have averaged as high as 27-28 on the freeway. Even more impressive is I got 13.5-14.0 MPG pulling my 8500 pound travel trailer around Idaho hunting this fall. When I fill up, I have seen my tank as high as 650 miles to Empty. With the 10 speed transmission, its an impressive combo.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have a 23 RST CC 4X4, 6'7" bed, 3.0 (305 hp, 495torque). 8 275/60/20 BFGS. Only mods are a 2" front level and rear airbags for towing.

Bought the truck end of July, just hit 8000 miles....I am averaging around 22-23 in town on my work commute. Have averaged as high as 27-28 on the freeway. Even more impressive is I got 13.5-14.0 MPG pulling my 8500 pound travel trailer around Idaho hunting this fall. When I fill up, I have seen my tank as high as 650 miles to Empty. With the 10 speed transmission, its an impressive combo.

That is real impressive.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/19/23
Hopefully none of you get the oil leak or EGR issues I've read about.

Ended up going F150 Lariat this time over the Sierra. Couple concerning issues with the GMC, one dealer was horrible to work with, the other wouldn't price match the other. Got $9k off, plus a front end 2" level thrown in, 2.9% for 72 months, and great experience with Ford... went that route.

I love my Toyotas, but they simply don't have anything I'm interested in. Tacoma doesn't have a lot of power and poor mileage - full size trucks get the same. Tundra doesn't interest me and is underwhelming, expected more from the new one.

Nissan, never looked at. Came close on the GMC. Chevy 1500 ZR2, didn't like the interior. Ford it is.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/19/23
I am a bit surprised at the loyalty to the big three and UAW. Perhaps I shouldn’t be, as they have learned to build a darn good product. My next vehicle will not be made by them.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/19/23
If I ever buy new it's gonna be a Toyota.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
If I ever buy new it's gonna be a Toyota.

Yep, me too. Or perhaps Nissan. I’m done with the big three, at least for a while.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/20/23
GM has always been good about offering nice inline 6 engines.

I wish they would've developed the all-aluminum vortec 4.2 gas motor into future iterations.

This 3.0 diesel was a smart move. Low-end torque really helps fuel economy.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
GM recalls new 2024 trucks cracks in roof just before my new truck arrives!
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/12/g...o-gmc-sierra-sales-over-splitting-roofs/

GM Stops Sales Of Some 2024 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra Trucks Over Splitting Roofs
The automaker has confirmed the issue and is in the process of identifying the affected pickup trucks to perform the necessary repairs

My 3.0 Diesel truck that is due to arrive is part of the recall!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
GM recalls new 2024 trucks cracks in roof just before my new truck arrives!
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/12/g...o-gmc-sierra-sales-over-splitting-roofs/

GM Stops Sales Of Some 2024 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra Trucks Over Splitting Roofs
The automaker has confirmed the issue and is in the process of identifying the affected pickup trucks to perform the necessary repairs

What does this have to do with the 3.0 Duramax engine?
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
Its a GMC truck 3.0 truck I have on order

Called dealer and my VIN number is not effected by the recall, check on new 24 GM trucks to see if they are part of the recall
Its a GMC truck 3.0 truck I have on order

Oh, OK. I guess my head was up my keester as I see you posted that previously. I'm sure they'll get that roof situation ironed out, and hope you get your truck before too long. I'm still really impressed with mine.
Posted By: smarquez Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
The wet oil pump belt replacement can be a factor if you keep your trucks for along time. Right at $3000 by this estimate
[/video
Last I heard from a reputable source was that the belt is good for at least 150k miles, probably much more.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
It's interesting how dirty the engines of modern diesels are due to the emissions equipment.

Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by Whiptail
It's interesting how dirty the engines of modern diesels are due to the emissions equipment.

That tear down doesn't reflect anything negative about the engine. Very well thought-out.

It was ran out of oil, the oil drivin timing chain tensioner lost tension, valves out of timing, piston came in contact with the valves. Actually quite fkn amazing that the head and block survived.

200,000 miles on a belt change is nothing, nor is moving the transmission back. I bet guys will be drinking beer, doing the job from home for less than a grand in parts, many years from now.

Geezus christ, there sure are some caddy btches trying to sht on this wonderful 3 liter.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/11/24
2024 3.0 recommended oil pump belt inspection has been updated to 200k miles.

Pick up my new 24 GMC Sierra Elevation 1500, Max tow package, 3.0 diesel, hopefully this week!

Just sold my 2004 Chev Silverado 2004, with a 5.3 gas with 121k miles, a great truck with no issues. So thinking the oil belt will outlive me.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/12/24
Anyone having transmission problems witheir trucks with the 3.0? Guy at work has his 2023 chevy with the 3.0 in the shop cuz all kinds of codes and limp mode. I guess a common problem regarding the valve body according to his dealer. No recall....yet
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/12/24
Joel this Duramax link shows some issues

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1rysQ4Mu_f/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/12/24
I have over 100,000 in total on 3 different 3.0 Duramax trucks and not a problem of any kind. Granted, these were all under about 35k each.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/13/24
Just picked up my 2024 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Diesel Max tow package with 3.73 Rear axle. Drove it home tonight. showed 23 mpg with 23 miles on the ODometer! Dealer ordered 3 1500 crew cab, std bed, max tow package, very hard to find I looked over a year plus!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/13/24
I think mine all had 3.42 gears. 3.73 will be better for towing but probably a bit of a mpg hit
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/13/24
Sharp truck! Congrats on the new ride!
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/13/24
They are nice. Congrats.

I like the color. Seeing more of that color vehicles and it's definitely growing on me
Posted By: Whiptail Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/13/24
Congrats! You'll enjoy it.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/14/24
Congrats! Still loving mine.....2 years and 28500 miles.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Love the 3.0 with the Max tow only 200 miles on it so far about 24.8 MPG and lots of power. Been around 5 to 10 F warms up quick GM says plug it in around 0 F.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Any emissions issues with the 3.0 ....dpf filter, egr valve, etc.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Not that I have read the GM 3.0 is the only one left Ford & Dodge tried. think both have been discontinued. GM seems to have nailed it with the inline 6. Talked to 3 different guys running several 3.0 GM,s with no issues, every one of them loves them. Go drive one very impressive.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
how well does the 3.0 start when its sub zero and you cant plug in ???

the larger common rail motors will start right up at -15 or 20 , although it is easier on things to plug them in at those temps
Posted By: glosto Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Would highly recommend antigel in fuel in very cold temps. I have only 300 miles on mine but with recent cold spell in teens i put antigel in just in case.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
how well does the 3.0 start when its sub zero and you cant plug in ???

the larger common rail motors will start right up at -15 or 20 , although it is easier on things to plug them in at those temps

Foolish, that anyone would "inform" Alaskans on anything cold weather related. I'm actually fkn shocked at the fairweather, 24hourtwattfire responses of recent. Everything from informing Alaskans on proper fuel supplements, to driving on ice, to starting a fkn diesel in the cold. There's hypothetical thinking out loud, then there's actually LIVING in a cold sht-hole, with a diesel.

All diesels have to be plugged in during Alaska winters. It saves wear on the starter, and many other components.

A common solution, where a diesel is parked at remote trail heads in remote locations: bring a compact generator of sufficient wattage. Use every fkn watt that generator will produce.

Here's my routine coming back to a diesel in below zero temps:

Park dog team, start gen.

Plug in.

By the time I get my dog sled loaded down, and the dogs stuffed in the dog box, my truck is close to starting.

Anyhow, 2600 watts weighs under 100 lbs, will power a block heater, oil pan heater, trickle charger and a hair dryer on low.

Hair dryer under the hood does amazing things. Warms fuel lines, air intake, turbo, oil lines, etc. Really speeds up the plug-in from 2 hours, to one hour.

The trickle chargers actually increase the cold cranking amps, the batteries begin heating from within.

My yammy ef 2600 starts at 30 below zero. Needs to be insulated during the operation though.

Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/20/24
Someone mention "anti gel".

Our winter diesel here in Alaska has a proper additive package. But a good fuel supplement helps. Especially considering that winter grade diesel might not have been in the tank when that first Alaskan cold spell kicks off. Start mildly treating the fuel in September. Then lay it on thick come November. I actually pour 8 oz of the stuff, to a fill-up.

I've found hotshots winter diesel is good sht. All sorts of improvements:
Deicer
Increased cold pour point
Lubricity
Cetane boost.

You can literally hear the clatter disappear on that 30 below zero start up. I think it's the cetane booster in the mix, but dunno.

Coldest I've ever started a diesel:
57 below zero ambient, 6bt cummins. My fkn radiator fluid looked like a green slushy.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/21/24
mainer , I only was asking if the GM 3.0 was a good starter in very cold temps . I am not trying to "inform" Alaskans about anything

since you didnt answer that question , I guess you dont know ?

for your information , Ive only been running all sorts of diesels in subzero temps for maybe the last 50 years and during that period Ive used all the tricks at one time or another to get stuff started and keep it running , and Ive tried out almost every commonly available fuel additive (including Hot shots) and know why you'd want to use them in cold conditions
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/21/24
I have had 3 of the 3.0 Duramax trucks so far, here in the Great Plains we get some cold weather. At least single digits down to -15 or so. Always used Howe's additive when the temps got below 30 and plug in at night when it gets below 20 degrees. Never a problem with starting but this is not Alaska.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/22/24
After Mainers post, took my suitcase generator today Costco Firman 2100 around 45# in the shed been around 15F and below since October started 4th pull, Let it warm up and plugged it into block heater on the 24 GMC 3.0 easily carry the load will have it in the back, for cold winter trips, If I need it in extreme cold, with no plug in.

Pretty common to go on a couple day cabin or snowmachine trip at -25 F come back and due to cold soak, its tough to get anything to run.

The 3.0 diesel seems to warm up fast in cold weather, not like a HD diesel.

Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/22/24
After Mainers post, took my suitcase generator today Costco Firman 2100 around 45# in the shed been around 15F and below since October started 4th pull, Let it warm up and plugged it into block heater on the 24 GMC 3.0 easily carry the load will have it in the back, for cold winter trips, If I need it in extreme cold, with no plug in.

Pretty common to go on a couple day cabin or snowmachine trip at -25 F come back and due to cold soak, its tough to get anything to run.

The 3.0 diesel seems to warm up fast in cold weather, not like a HD diesel.

I have noticed that as well. If plugged in, it was blowing at least partially warm air within 12 blocks of my house when leaving for work in the morning
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/23/24
I see gm caved to the epa, they're recommending absurdly thin oil in these 3.0's: 0w/20. Yep, you'll see slightly better fuel economy, but it will come at a cost.

That is fking insane. I don't know what yall's warranties stipulate, but I would never run oil that thin in any diesel. As those bearings and rings begin loosening up, that's not much protection. I bet oil consumption will be prevalent after the first 100k miles.

When these get a few year on em and start showing up used, I'd only consider 5w40 even in the coldest temps.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/23/24
I see gm caved to the epa, they're recommending absurdly thin oil in these 3.0's: 0w/20. Yep, you'll see slightly better fuel economy, but it will come at a cost.

That is fking insane. I don't know what yall's warranties stipulate, but I would never run oil that thin in any diesel. As those bearings and rings begin loosening up, that's not much protection. I bet oil consumption will be prevalent after the first 100k miles.

When these get a few year on em and start showing up used, I'd only consider 5w40 even in the coldest temps.

I wondered the same thing myself Mainer. I have a 2017 Colorado ZR2 with their 2.8L diesel. Just about to turn 160K miles on it and I use the 5/30 Synthetic in it. No oil consumption problems, but I have wondered if I could use 5/40 in it, as it would keep all my oil the same since I use it in my Dodge Cummins and my tractor. Might be too chicken to change at this point as I can't see any issues with the current oil.

Anybody swapped their little motor's to 5/40?
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by JPro
Around here, diesel is usually 30-40% more expensive than 87 octane gas, so bear that in mind also. If buying a 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4 and leaving the stock tires on it, you can expect about 19-20 average if you run highway about 60-70% of the time. At least that's what mine averaged with the stock Goodyears for the first 40k miles. Some tanks were 20.5-21mpg. I lost about 2mpg going to 34" E-rated all terrains. If going diesel in a new half ton pickup, it's going to have to average around 24-25mpg to break even on the fuel costs versus regular unleaded gasoline.

One thing I didn't know at the time, with the 3.5tt you're not making peak power unless using 93 octane. With 87 you're losing about 20rwhp and 12lb ft compared to 93. Car and Driver did the dyno testing and 0-60 (5.3 vs 5.9 seconds 93 vs 87). And Ford recommends 91 or better for towing or hot conditions. So there goes the cheaper fuel discount.

Loving the F150 Lariat though, just wish it got better mileage. Had I known this before, might have gone with the AT4 despite the inferior interior (and poor dealership experience)
Posted By: smithrjd Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/27/24
Just bought one, LTZ Z71. Wife wanted the bells and whistles. It has all of them.. So far love it. Went from a 2500 long bed Duramax to a 1/2 ton. Much easier to drive in the city and parking. Will see about pulling a trailer. Specs are a bit light. 9K towing and 900 on the hitch. No max tows available around here. Only 1600 payload. Trailer max at 7K so alright there. Hitch weight could be an issue. Nice ride and with only 150 miles showing 27mpg mixed driving. Wonder if these will hold their value like the HD ones do.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/27/24
My max tow Crew cab std bed 3.0 just looked at the specs. 12.5 towing, max tongue wt 1250#, max payload 1641 #. Been -10 to -15 24 7 starts fine when plugged in—about 25 MPG with 320 miles on the odometer. Going to drive the Subaru till it warms up on short trips.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/28/24
My long term average MPG was about 24.5 in mixed driving, probably about 70% highway and 30% city/stop/go
Posted By: Double_D Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/28/24
My long term average MPG was about 24.5 in mixed driving, probably about 70% highway and 30% city/stop/go

Same here………mine has over 50k on it now……..this includes pulling a 32’ travel trailer 6 times and a 20’ bass boat couple times a month, and pulling my SxS back and forth during hunting season

I would buy another one in a heartbeat
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/29/24
Trying to understand why one would use a heavier than recommended oil arbitrarily.

Because that’s what pappy used in his 238 Detroit and 250 Cummins?

EPA can’t be ruled out, neither can the issues the OEM faces if their engines grenade. It’s not going to help at startup, and if you are maintaining good pressure at idle it’s not going to do anything. If it’s too thick, you may be starving bearings, with no way to know.
Well, they will tell you. Eventually.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/29/24
Just for clarification, I was talking about going from 5-30 to 5-40 Rotella. I’d not mess around trying to use heavier on the bottom end for reasons you stated. Just wondering if the 40 once warm might be good for a little truck that works fairly hard.

5-40 Rotella is pretty awesome oil.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/29/24
JMO.

I detest the water recommended in our gas engines, but I use what is recommended.
Don't have gauges in these vehicles, as long as the idiot light doesn't come on I'll continue. Or if consumption picks up.

Again MO.
Folks try too hard to make a big deal of oils today.
Lotta gum flapping about early changes, premium oils...
Stuff posts the specs it meets, it's not rocket science to match requirements to specs.

I've seen a Duramax with 50 or 80k(foggy memory) on it with the original oil.
A snack food delivery truck, the original operator never had it changed, it's new operator brought it in. The oil was like glumpy STP. It took forever to get it out of the pan. Our guys dumped a couple gallons of diesel in it and left it sit, then drained it again. Changed the oil a few times over the next month, and it cleaned up.
The engine never showed any stress, before or after.

Was it harmed?
I'd bet there would never be any way to know.
Some engines from that batch will fail early, for a bunch of reasons, some on schedule and some will be abused and last longer than expected.
I certainly wouldn't recommend this, it was absolutely abuse.

One thing that's not opinion.
Most American folks buying new cars and spending extra on oil are wasting
their money. Good maintenance and special oils, if they payoff, payoff at end of life.
The buyers of new cars usually don't have them until end of life.
They trade by 100k.
Top tier synthetic, or Walmart oil that meets spec, will get you there with a
health engine to trade in today. Or there were issues outside of the oil.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 01/30/24
Pretty good info on oil for your 3.0 Mini Duramax The chart shows what is approved for your 3.0 I printed it and its in the PU

An interesting comparison talks about DEF consumption towing with the 3.0
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/24
Thoughts

Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/14/24
He's full of [bleep]. That doesn't even look like actual diesel oil. Check the color of your oil after only 500 miles, it won't look nothing like that staged sht hes dumping out of that catch can or the heat exchanger.

All staged.......

Clean the components after 50,000 miles.

Be mindful of short trips. Get the truck nice n toasty hauling something at least twice a month. Always plug-in before start up in cold months.

At 30,000-50,000 miles, marvel at how your heat exchanger looks nothing like what you saw in that youtube video.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/25/24
Weekend trip to Fairbanks 650 miles 2024 GMC 3.0 diesel 1500 Max Tow package average MPG over 26 MPG Hi of 31.8 MPG 65 plus on the good road sections! Lots of power just over 1600 miles.
Posted By: duckster Re: 3.0 duramax - 03/25/24
My current truck has the 6.2 liter gas (didn't have a 3.0 available) and I miss the gas mileage.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/21/24
Bought a 2023 Suburban with the 3.0 today for the wife. 13,000 miles and looks new
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: 3.0 duramax - 04/22/24
KK.......being as you have the max tow package then do you also have the single speed transfer case ?

if so , do you think you will miss having 4x4 low ?
© 24hourcampfire