Home
Thank goodness I found this one before I spent a bunch of money having the rearend worked on. When getting up or down on the throttle, it would sometimes make a sharp bang in the rear end. It took me a while to realize that it only did it while towing. It came down to an oversized pin hole in the receiver hitch. It was always rattling so I put on one of those bolt-on anti-rattle things. It totally eliminated the rattle. However, when using the throttle hard, it allowed the ball mount to jump back and forth 1/8" under the antirattle thing. It's amazing how much noise that can make. I fixed it with some small nails. I cut them down to 1/4" and stuck them in the holes beside the pin. I replaced the pin with a grade 8 bolt and nut to keep them in place. I'll just have to carry 2 15/16" wrenches if I ever need to take it off.
Why not get the right size pin?
Custom.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
That would involve either drilling out an expensive ball mount or buying a new one. This one has an extension for the sway bar.
Right sized pin is the key. Probably need a 3/4" pin, not 5/8".

No drilling necessary.

I wouldn't put much faith in the soft nails lasting long.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by huntsman22
That would involve either drilling out an expensive ball mount or buying a new one. This one has an extension for the sway bar.

And the problem is? The RIGHT size hole and pin beats the hell outta niqqer riqqing it......
My Chevy has the 2&1/2 " receiver with the insert for a 2". Those really rattle.I did buy one of those U shaped anti rattle gizmos and it does work.
We always run a weld down the forward facing top edge of the hitch and grind until it makes a tight fit.

Sometimes on one side as well.

Nails? Not so much.
I think I have a spare pin out in the truck that has an adapter sleeve for larger holes.
Run an undersized hitch pin for long and it’ll need drilled anyway. Unless you find the right size and shape oblong pin that is.
© 24hourcampfire