Home
Went through a 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and had endless problems, cam phaser failure twice, antifreeze disappearing who knows where, oil leaks and it goes on so I traded it off and went back to a GMC.

So the 2020 GMC with the 5.3L ran great for a year and a half no issues until now. Had to get a collapsed lifter and bend rod done and after that I’ve had a flashing engine light that comes on for a short period which apparently means a misfire in engine. Back to the shop.

So is there any reliable 1/2 ton a person can drive for years anymore?

Been looking at a tundra right now….
A few years back I sold my last 3/4 ton and went for the smooth ride of a 1/2 ton 4x4. I looked at tundras and apart from fact my 6' 0" body didnt fit in that little cracker box, all the trannys had some unfixable computer defect where they would kick out of OD or something like that.

I went with a Ram 1500 4x4 diesel which a friend had de-smogged and tuned from brand new. At 125k now and not an issue other than one leaking $50 coolant hose that took $1800 in labor to get to and replace!

If I had to do it again would look at a Ram 1500 with the hemi. You dont save on fuel costs after paying the premium for diesel power and repairs, unless you tow all the time.

To answer your question: NO!
Originally Posted by harv3589
Went through a 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost and had endless problems, cam phaser failure twice, antifreeze disappearing who knows where, oil leaks and it goes on so I traded it off and went back to a GMC.

So the 2020 GMC with the 5.3L ran great for a year and a half no issues until now. Had to get a collapsed lifter and bend rod done and after that I’ve had a flashing engine light that comes on for a short period which apparently means a misfire in engine. Back to the shop.

So is there any reliable 1/2 ton a person can drive for years anymore?

Reliable? You almost had it right the first time; F-150 only go with a 5.0
My tundra is only a couple years old but I’ve had exactly zero problems. I expect it will be like my Tacoma, in 11 years and 210k it was nearly flawless, aside from maintenance I lost one rear axle seal and the temp/compass readout stopped working.

No transmission issues kicking out of OD in my tundra, never heard of that issue.

2022 tundra is a totally different rig hopefully it matches the previous tundra generations reliability.
According to Consumer Reports Magazine and other places that track reliability Tundra has been the most reliable 1/2-ton truck the last few years. It has not always been the highest rated truck overall considering all performance factors, but it has been in reliability. Same as the Tacoma and 4 Runner.

I have owned over a period of 32 years 2 Toyota small pickups (before Tacoma was released in 1995.5) and 4 Tacoma's all 4-wheel drive. It has been ridiculous how reliable they have been. A wheel bearing has been my most major repair.
Correct my post above: I was referring to tacoma not tundra.
I would consider a tundra
I don't keep a truck past 200,000.
Every F150 I've had, all have had minor problems. 1995, 1999, 2013. Had a '09 tacoma between the last 2.
Will say the 99 had a few fuel pumps. I made an all day event down to a few hours. Replaced those crap bed bolts with big ole deck bolts, washes and nuts. Right when I sold it, it had that exhaust manifold rot that was common on the late 90's to early 2000's. Friend bought it and had a guy fix it.
2013 had a few more issues, coolant fitting on top of the motor cracked, Some sort of tranny shift module went out as I was going to possibly trade it on another tacoma. Ford covered it thankfully. Lost out on the tacoma though.
Traded it on a 21 Ranger Tremor. 170,000 on it and it still got 20 mpg on average out of the 5.0.

I could say my 2016 has been great (and it has) but anecdotal reports on the Innanet aren't worth much. I'm sure you'll still get lots of the usual suspects saying Toyotas are junk, or no more reliable than any of the Big 3, but actual data certainly doesn't support that.

I'd be leery of the New Gen 3 Tundra fo awhile. But that's just me. First and second year models seem problematic, IMO.

This was Consumer Report's ranking for light passenger truck reliability. 2020 or 2019. Can't remember which.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Consumer Reports are the biggest money whores in the "Review" business. They have zero credibility, and boost the products that send them money.

That said, some people will destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet too....................

Odd how some people get great service out of whatever they drive, and others will have major problems with 3 or 4 different types of vehicle in a row. That should tell you something.........
Daughter has a '21 Tacoma, V6, 6 sp manual, horse trailer, water tank, hay duty, go to work commute etc, she drives like Mario Andretti on meth...totally reliable trouble free truck but light and squirrely with loaded horse trailer.
My 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 has given me zero issue, except for the dead battery, can't blame the truck for that.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2020 Tundra bought new in August of 2019, 45k miles on it now, only thing I've spent on it is fuel.
Well it’s back in shop and I suspect another collapsed lifter so we will see what tomorrow brings when they look at it….looking at some used Tundras.
Originally Posted by badger
Consumer Reports are the biggest money whores in the "Review" business. They have zero credibility, and boost the products that send them money.

Interesting opinion, badger. As far as I know CR doesn't except a single advertising dollar, buys their own test vehicles, and doesn't sell 'advertising rights' to the results of their vehicle testing. Do you have any proof or articles that have other information? I'd be interested to learn more about their business model.

Also, if CR isn't credible, who is? There's got to be something better than anecdotal experiences on the Internet...
Well it’s back in shop and I suspect another collapsed lifter so we will see what tomorrow brings when they look at it….looking at some used Tundras.

Sorry Rob. Vehicle troubles are such a pain, and this is a tough time to be forced into used truck shopping. Strange time for used vehicle pricing. Hopefully prices start to moderate soon. Or better yet, GM gets your truck fixed for good.
It’s a tough time to be shopping for a used vehicle. They seem to still want to give precovid trade in prices but new prices for their trucks
Originally Posted by badger

Odd how some people get great service out of whatever they drive, and others will have major problems with 3 or 4 different types of vehicle in a row. That should tell you something.........

Don’t think that’s entirely true, I’m very easy on my trucks. I don’t off road them, rarely drive over the speed limit and I don’t drive them like I stole it. Most of the time it’s backs and forth to work and I don’t even get to the speed limit. So zero abuse but lots of headaches
Originally Posted by SeanD
My tundra is only a couple years old but I’ve had exactly zero problems. I expect it will be like my Tacoma, in 11 years and 210k it was nearly flawless, aside from maintenance I lost one rear axle seal and the temp/compass readout stopped working.

No transmission issues kicking out of OD in my tundra, never heard of that issue.

2022 tundra is a totally different rig hopefully it matches the previous tundra generations reliability.
I have a 2014 Tundra CrewCab with 5.7L V8. Other than expected maintenance (like a battery, brakes, etc.) it has been pretty much trouble-free. I did have to replace a front strut and shock absorber (no, I don't do off road). It is super easy to change the rear-end differential fluid, though if you need to bring it back to the dealer for maintenance, it ain't gonna be cheap. All in all, it has been a good reliable truck. I also had a 2001 Tundra that was 13 years old when I sold it and it too was very relaible.
Originally Posted by sactoller
My 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 has given me zero issue, except for the dead battery, can't blame the truck for that.

Good looking truck!
Can't believe anyone pays attention to the communists at consumer reports.
I have a 2019 Silverado with 74k on it, only problem so far was a corroded emission control wire, which was mostly paid under warranty. No complaints and the pickup grows on me every day. I wasn't in love with it and still am not, but I'm sure happy with it.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
2020 Tundra bought new in August of 2019, 45k miles on it now, only thing I've spent on it is fuel.

My 2016 with 63K is the same. I haven't had the first problem out of it.
2019 F 150 400 hp 5.0L 10 speed no problems at all.
Toyota is the most reliable hands down.
Just got a 2022 gmc with the L84 5.3 hopefully no issues. But it seems L84 has the same lifter failure just like the L83’s. I was looking a Toyota Tundra 2021 but it was in Anchorage.
I've had a 2008 Tundra since new and it's been great. It gets used as a truck, pulling stock trailers, hay trailers, was used for pulling a 22' camper when we were camping, driving to hunting....not a daily driver, just a truck. It's got a few dents and lots of scratches in the paint from use. No complaints and lots of praise for it....I'm not running down any of the other brands, just stating that it's been a great one for me. I think it's about as reliable as one can be.
2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext. cab, bought new. 93K Still on first set of replacement brake pads. Couple minor repairs while under warranty. Only major out of warranty repair, $350 for new A/C condenser last summer. Everything still works, including heated front seats and remote start. OEM battery went teats up at 3.5 years. Dealer's replacement was a tad cheaper than Advance Auto Parts.

Best part, still does 20 or better, highway mileage.

Total for repairs since a new Chevy in 2002, 2006 GMC, 2010 Silverado and the 2014, all 4x4 ext. cabs: Probably less than $600. And the 5.3Ls are rockets.
Trading it in on a tundra.

Got it back out of the shop and it was an oil solenoid on the number 4 cylinder than gave out this time. Same cylinder as the collapse lifter and bent rod.

Not my problem anymore….
2011 Tundra, 5.7l 4x4, two batteries and one brake job so far. Sucker does like a gas station, even more so pulling a trailer.
Work truck is an ‘04 Tacoma PreRunner crew cab v6, just rolled 200k, had some type of fuel injection module go out at 165k that cost $600 to fix. That’s the only non routine maintenance item between the two of them. Hard to argue that kinda dependability. I do wish Toyota would come out with a 6cyl diesel for the Tundra...
peak98
2016 Tundra 70K needs new front brake pads runs and drives great
Originally Posted by dubePA
2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext. cab, bought new. 93K Still on first set of replacement brake pads. Couple minor repairs while under warranty. Only major out of warranty repair, $350 for new A/C condenser last summer. Everything still works, including heated front seats and remote start. OEM battery went teats up at 3.5 years. Dealer's replacement was a tad cheaper than Advance Auto Parts.

Best part, still does 20 or better, highway mileage.

Total for repairs since a new Chevy in 2002, 2006 GMC, 2010 Silverado and the 2014, all 4x4 ext. cabs: Probably less than $600. And the 5.3Ls are rockets.

I have the the same 2014 truck with the GMC sticker on it (Z71 Crew 4x4 SLT). 103k miles - still has original brakes. Other than tires and a battery, the only thing that has been done is the AC Condenser, which was very common. Mine still runs like new, no creaks, rattles, still very strong (been tuned and a few parts replaced), and it's wearing 33x12.5 and will still get 20+ mpg on the highway. I'll probably get the AFM disabled because I made it louder and it can drone a bit in 4 cylinder mode.

With the insane prices out there now I have no plans to do anything with it. I have several friends with in the same date range with 200k+ miles on them.
Trading it in on a tundra.

Got it back out of the shop and it was an oil solenoid on the number 4 cylinder than gave out this time. Same cylinder as the collapse lifter and bent rod.

Not my problem anymore….

That's too bad about your GM. Frustrating having major issues like that.

Have you made the deal on a Tundra yet? New or used? They're solid trucks, but not perfect. So if buying used keep an eye out for the cam tower seep/leak, air injection pump, as well as a possible recall on the power steering pump and block heater cords.
I found a new 2021 that I got for less than what the used ones are going for. I know it’s not perfect but hopefully no major problems like I’ve had.

Just waiting on financing to be done and for the truck to arrive at the dealer….should be there any day.
Congrats! Hope it's a great truck for ya!
Does it have a 5.0?
5.7L
I have owned a 2006,2009 and 2014 tacoma. The 2006 had a rear axle bearing go, bought it as a certified preowned from Toyota. and found out from a bodyshop friend of mine it was in a wreck. Dealer covered it up and sold it as a certified vehicle. 2006 had numerous recalls and cost literally thousands of dollars keeping it running. Front Oil seal, replaced drivetrain under recall, rear leaf springs and it had frame rust. The 2014 was trouble free.

I purchased a Tundra Sr5 TRD in 2017. It had a defective front Michelin not the trucks fault. It however had an issue keeping alignment. It was aligned three different times by 2 Toyota dealers and it was never right. It also could not drive past gas stations without stopping. 15 MPG , no thanks.
I’ll take the crappy mileage vs having the engine torn down like this GMC has had. Once it’s off warranty that will cost the next owner thousands to fix. There will be a next time…

The GMC only got 15-18mpg anyways so not the greatest
The GM AFM or DFM, same bad engineering just a different name...they lost me as a customer. In time, I expect either of those concepts will catch up with the truck owner.
My buddy swears there's 20 and 21 model trucks of several brands sitting on massive lots waiting for computer chips. Says all chips now are going into the newest models and when the shortage is over, there's gonna be a flood of new "used" trucks hit the market. I hope!!!!! Might pay to wait....usually does.
After reading fanmail here, im thinking Toyota will be
my next pickup. They are so reliable you can charge Ford owners
to park beside them. Hoping it rubs off.😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Had an 09 Tacoma since 2010. Now has 283k on it . Literally only time I've seen the check engine light was at startup. Rear leaf springs replaced under warranty, front hubs and bearings and an axle seal. Nothing else other than routine maintenance. And its used as a truck. Two weeks ago i pulled out an F250 and a Tahoe out of the smow. Still wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Looking hard at the 2022 Tundra though but i wouldn't buy until 23. Never buy the first model year and you can't find one in my area.
I’ll take the crappy mileage vs having the engine torn down like this GMC has had. Once it’s off warranty that will cost the next owner thousands to fix. There will be a next time…

The GMC only got 15-18mpg anyways so not the greatest

On the bright side the new GMC's and Silverados can't activate DFM because of the chip shortage.
My 2008 4x4 5.7 Tundra has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. It does suck the gas though.
Know a few folks that were really big on Tundras over the past 6 pr 8 years, that have dropped them for RAMS, Fords or GMs, over the crappy fuel mileage. But none grumbled about Tundra reliability? Several friends still driving Tacos well past 200K.

One buddy's Tundra was new about 18 years ago and still going at 200K plus, but banged up all to hell and some rust. Funny part, there's another one just like it here that's in mint condition.

Now and then I'll tell him I passed him the other day and thought he'd finally had his old beater fixed up. He ain't amused. Last summer I kicked what was left of the remaining original nerf bar off the passenger side. Rusted to hell and back. Told him it was a road hazard.
If I could design the ideal half ton pickup it would be modeled after the first generation Tundra with a few tweaks.
Ford-done
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Ford-done

Been there…you can keep them. Most unreliable truck I’ve owned
The most reliable truck I've ever owned by far was my Fords.Longest truck I had was an 03 Ram with a 5.9 L 16 years 375k on the clock a Great truck..I won't buy japs but a friend of mine had one and the frame cracked with -in one year that was a Turd

I've had my tundra for about 6 years now. Bought it used with a little over 20k miles on it. Has 78k on it now. I know that's not a lot of miles on it. It has had zero issues thus far. I kind of wish I would have found a Ford with the 5.0. Been a Ford man for a long time.
Didn't Toyota have to recall lots of trucks because the frames were rusting completely out? How is that reliable?
Yes, Toyota has had frame rust problems at one time. They’ve got other quirks too that I’ve not experienced with other trucks.
They are not perfect, but it seems no manufacturer can put together a truck with all the best qualities without a gremlin here and there.
I guess at least Toyota fixed the issue and it’s no longer one. My GMC, they put the same faulty designed lifters in….how reliable is that? The F-150 I had, they put the same faulty cam phaser in and it needed them again when I traded it off, not very reliable.
I’d say a Tundra is still reliable. I had an 08 for 9 years
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Yes, Toyota has had frame rust problems at one time. They’ve got other quirks too that I’ve not experienced with other trucks.
They are not perfect, but it seems no manufacturer can put together a truck with all the best qualities without a gremlin here and there.

Poor saps that live back east...

I feel for you.. How many trucks do you think you'll go through before this one give up the ghost? Keep buying pos new trucks that keep getting worse though. HA HA..
I’ve got a 2002 access cab & a 2005 double cab. I’d rather drive them than any new truck. No plans to get rid of them anytime soon. Have a 2021 Bronco, too much electronics and computer control.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I purchased a Tundra Sr5 TRD in 2017. It had a defective front Michelin not the trucks fault. It however had an issue keeping alignment. It was aligned three different times by 2 Toyota dealers and it was never right. It also could not drive past gas stations without stopping. 15 MPG , no thanks.

I must be different than a lot of folks on the mileage issue. I’d I’ve for my truck to get 30mpg, but realistically I know I’m going to get about 14-16. I drive considerably more than most people. In the last 10 years I’ve put:

135,000 on a Ford 150 5.0L (17.1mpg)
120,000 on a GMC Yukon with the 5.3L (17.8mpg)
45,000 on a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5L (around 16.5mpg) 60,000 miles on a 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L (about 14.5mpg)
40,000 on a Chevy Tahoe (about 18mpg).

The difference between the Tundra and the Ford over 100,000 miles is about 1,100 gallons of fuel. Most folks drive 12-15k miles a year so that’s going to take 7-9 years to make it to 100K. That’s less than $500/year.

Either way, to me it’s a small price to pay to have a very reliable vehicle. We’re on our 3rd Tundra in my family and have yet to have a problem in 250,000, but I’m not naive enough to think they’re bulletproof. One thing that not mentioned, and it plays into the horrible Tundra mileage is the very small fuel tank that was used for so long. When you can only go 300 miles on a take of fuel it feels like you’re getting horrible mileage since you fill up all the time.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I feel for you.. How many trucks do you think you'll go through before this one give up the ghost? Keep buying pos new trucks that keep getting worse though. HA HA..

Man I like that truck. When my wife’s dad died he had a black one like it. I already had a Tundra so we sold it, but wish I could have kept it. The wife is getting a new suv in the coming months that has the same engine and I hope it’s as reliable as those are.
Two decades and still reliable.
My '06 F150 has >200K miles on it. I have done what you'd expect: tires, brakes, suspension; but overall I am very happy. The 4.6 gets good mileage for a full-sized pickup and I love the suicide doors and the manual transfer case lever. Wheelbase with the shorter bed is just right for mountain roads. My GF thinks I need a shiny new Dodge but I disagree...
Tundra
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I must be different than a lot of folks on the mileage issue. I’d I’ve for my truck to get 30mpg, but realistically I know I’m going to get about 14-16. I drive considerably more than most people. In the last 10 years I’ve put:

135,000 on a Ford 150 5.0L (17.1mpg)
120,000 on a GMC Yukon with the 5.3L (17.8mpg)
45,000 on a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5L (around 16.5mpg) 60,000 miles on a 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L (about 14.5mpg)
40,000 on a Chevy Tahoe (about 18mpg).

The difference between the Tundra and the Ford over 100,000 miles is about 1,100 gallons of fuel. Most folks drive 12-15k miles a year so that’s going to take 7-9 years to make it to 100K. That’s less than $500/year.

Either way, to me it’s a small price to pay to have a very reliable vehicle. We’re on our 3rd Tundra in my family and have yet to have a problem in 250,000, but I’m not naive enough to think they’re bulletproof. One thing that not mentioned, and it plays into the horrible Tundra mileage is the very small fuel tank that was used for so long. When you can only go 300 miles on a take of fuel it feels like you’re getting horrible mileage since you fill up all the time.

I had the extended range tank available on the SR5 and above. I think it was either 32 or 36gal. Truck consistently was out of alignment, 2 dealers told me that they are heavy trucks and long road trips knock them out of alignment. Longest road trip was 550 miles each way. When fuel gets to 4 bucks a gallon we will see how you feel about 15 mpg.
It’s too bad our fuel prices have been artificially inflated, 15 mpg doesn’t cut it for a daily driver if you have any distance to travel. Of course the prices & supply have been manipulated to force the “green” electric vehicles.
Hopefully the current prices for all fuels comes back to earth soon.
Every manufacturer of ½ ton pick ups make a good, reliable truck, most of the time.

If you talk to 10 people who have put 100K on any brand, you will get 6 to 8 who tell you about a good, reliable truck that has never let them down.
You will always get at least 1 or 2 who tells you it is a piece of junk.
Sometimes you just get a lemon.

As often as not, that 1 or 2 pieces of junk were poorly maintained or pushed beyond reasonable limits.
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Every manufacturer of ½ ton pick ups make a good, reliable truck, most of the time.

If you talk to 10 people who have put 100K on any brand, you will get 6 to 8 who tell you about a good, reliable truck that has never let them down.

As often as not, that 1 or 2 pieces of junk were poorly maintained or pushed beyond reasonable limits.

At last a reasonable answer instead of brand-bashing. Thank you

drover
New 2021 tundra in the driveway. Prices are crazy….new was thousands cheaper than a used one.

Like it better already without the BS fuel saving start stop or cylinder shut down. I’ll pay a bit extra for gas…
You will at best have the most reliable truck on the road
AT worst, they are thirsty but when it comes time to resale it will bring a few grand more than it's counterparts, that alone will pay for a bunch of gas.
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I agree and the "I had a x brand and it was a POS I'll never have another." You pay your money you take your chances. I've known one person that had a collapsed lifter on a GM. The same lady blew a motor on a Toyota Sequoya before the Suburban and proclaims her latest vehicle is a piece of crap too. Perhaps just bad luck, but that's really really bad luck - especially on a 5.7L iForce motor. The overwhelming majority of any new ones last a good while, some don't. Her pops GMC just doesn't want to seem to die and it has more miles on it than I've ever seen anyone's toy yoda go but I am not going to proclaim on a sample size of one that anything is good or bad but this one is going on 23 years and at this point has enough mileage to have gone around the world 25 times.

Here is the last odometer reading. Maybe he should read this thread to hear about how awful his GM is wink

Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I agree and the "I had a x brand and it was a POS I'll never have another." You pay your money you take your chances. I've known one person that had a collapsed lifter on a GM. The same lady blew a motor on a Toyota Sequoya before the Suburban and proclaims her latest vehicle is a piece of crap too. Perhaps just bad luck, but that's really really bad luck - especially on a 5.7L iForce motor. The overwhelming majority of any new ones last a good while, some don't. Her pops GMC just doesn't want to seem to die and it has more miles on it than I've ever seen anyone's toy yoda go but I am not going to proclaim on a sample size of one that anything is good or bad but this one is going on 23 years and at this point has enough mileage to have gone around the world 25 times.

Here is the last odometer reading. Maybe he should read this thread to hear about how awful his GM is wink

If it doesn't have AFM it is going to last a long time properly maintained. Not an option with todays GM products. Its going to still have a problem with the cheap mixer doors failing and the transmissions are not great but it is a decent solid truck.
They all suck at one time or another.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

God I hate suicide truck doors.
© 24hourcampfire