Home
Tirerack tests have the Falken highly rated.
BFG will be new in May.

Dunno about the continuous side of the BFG vs blocks like on others.

The Falken looks mild but this going on a rig that will see light hunting duty. Mostly road. Not even moderate offroad.

So ride comfort and noise major considerations.
All seasons just not enough reassurance pulling off to edge of field.
Falken makes a good tire, wife had a set on her grand Cherokee.
I’ve never heard of anyone who had them that didn’t like them.
They have a set local at a shop ( Falken ). Im just waiting for a promo to come along and drop price

Id they do before the BFG comes out, so be it.
I have Falkens on my car. Not apples/apples but I'm happy with them. Much quieter than the Goodyears they replaced.
Going on a Jeep Renegade 4wd.
Fun little ride.
Would like it better equipped for turkey season or summer chuckin.

Have a set of Falkin WP3's........made in Thailand

Seems they have different mfg plants

Currently on my 2500 HD Chevy

Quiet is the first thing I'll say...

Mileage ? Let ya know later

I like 'em
I ran them on my F-350 and had zero complaints. My Dad ran the BFGs on his 3500 at the same time and in the same conditions. Both tires performed well. Falkens used to be considerably cheaper but I'm not sure about today.
Oil being a large component of tires - best buy as soon as you can as they're likely to go up in price asap too.
Ive got Falkens on my Tacoma. No real complaints so far, obviously not a mud tire and not as good as others ive had in snow. Overall pretty decent tires though. Quiet , handle well . I can cruise on I 81 at 80 mph without excessive noise. At this point id buy another set in the future
I'd pay attention to where your Falkens are made. You might get lucky and get US made, and you just might get Chinese. Thailand is probably where most of the LT tires are made.
Have the falken wildpeak on my f150, decent tire, I live in the great lakes snow belt region where a foot or two of snow is not unusual. Liked my Hercules AT in my other truck better for all around traction though.
15 yrs w BFG AT, then a decade w Goodyear MTR. Last 6 has been Mastercraft AT ( on sale, not great, not bad.....snow fine, fetching deer from fields and woods, no complaints ....but I wasnt as brave w em as I was w my othrr lifted zj wearing MTRs ).

MTR sucked on wet pacement, noisy on road but all other was excellent. Wicked offroad. Great in snow.

This toaster is 4x4 but it wont be wheeled LOL.
BFG Rugged terrain may be US made.

Have to check again
I have had 2 sets of the Falken A/T. Good tire, rides well, quiet and good grip
Originally Posted by hookeye
BFG will be new in May.

The Falken looks mild but this going on a rig that will see light hunting duty. Mostly road. Not even moderate offroad.

What vehicle are the tires going on?
Rugged trail are too light duty. I punched a hole in one, driving over only a sharp stick. It wasnt even the weight of a real truck, just one of those beta-male tacomas.

I just finished two years on the falken wildpeak at3w's. Theyre a decent tire. Good puncture resistance. Good load range E performance. Overloaded beyond their 80 psi rating, carcass stays cool at 55 mph. Any faster, too much heat in the tire carcass.

A cord of green birch goes 4,700 lbs. I hand-split and sell cords of birch in winter. Tires handle the load well @ 80 psi. They get real noisey as they wear, but are quiet new. Heavy loads,the noises settle down.

Off road, anything slight camber on wet leaves or wet early season snow, i slide down the camber. I t-boned a fkn birch tree on a 10 degree slope. I just chain-up with v-bar chains ever since.

Even medium loads, like whole, dead meat cow wont settle down the aweful road noise! Will get a third year out of them, then look for something else.
I’m running falkens on both my Duramax and my wife’s suburban. I’ve been real happy with them.
A lot of Falkens on ranch trucks around here.
Put a set of Falkens on our aunts Tahoe. I was happy and so was she. Road way better than what was on it.
Bought tires today for the 2500 duramax and 2019 4Runner. Went with bf Goodrich ko2s for both. Cheaper then the Falkins!
Originally Posted by hookeye
BFG will be new in May.

From what you describe, I don't think that you need to over analyze this. Do you have sharp volcanic rocks where tread and sidewall punctures are a real concern? Or not so much?

Do you have super slick and tacky gumbo mud? Or red clay mud? Or not so much?

If no, then don't worry about it. Unless you want a manly looking tire.

It seems to me that you would do best with a highway tire and rely on your recovery gear in the unlikely event that you get stuck on the "edge of a field".

I have run BFG AT and Goodyear MTR on prev Jeeps.

And all seasons on a couple.

Like at least an AT even when heading out on a farm.
My current beater has moderate ATs and they did OK fetching deer last couple yrs.

But then I also drove to the deer, in the woods, w no trail.

It's a beater, don't care. New jeep isnt gonna brush up along the locust trees and climb over logs LOL.

Field edges yeah.
One of my trucks .. either the '08 Frontier or '14 Taco .. came with the BFG rugged trail as the OEM tire. I was horribly unimpressed. I trashed two of them (and only had one spare) when I hit something on a back highway. Punched through the center of the tread in both cases. Before that, I had tried driving in wet, settled spring snow. Even in 4 Low with the rear axle locked the truck was helpless.

I was in a bind, truck on blocks up in the mountains 2 hours from town, so I had to just buy what was available to get the "f"er home and be able to go to work Monday. I got Toyo open country MTs. I'm on my 5th set between the 2 trucks. I've poked 2 holes (nails/screws) through the tread but they held air to get back to town. With both trucks I could tool along in 2WD high range in places I could not go in 4 Low locked with the rugged trail BFGs.

So ... I'm NOT recommending those BFG rugged trails. Hopefully the other option, which I'm not familiar with, is not worse.
I have used BF's and Goodyears on my 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM trucks for the last 30 plus years. Switched to Falkens about 8 years ago and it is no contest right now. They are my choice until something better comes along.

Current set (Wildpeak) has 46K on them and will probably replace them before next fall's hunting seasons in August. After the summer, should be close to 55K on them.
I have Falkens on my 09 Tacoma and now the Chevy 2500. I like them, quiet on road , decent snow tire , good off road as long as its not mud. At this point if i needed a set of 4wd tires id buy them again
There was a BFG trail tire that was discontinued, horrible reviews. The tire I mention is new for this yr.
Another Tacoma / Falken AT WP3 (Thailand) user. Got them last July, and they went through a Montana winter nicely. Good on slick-muddy roads, really quiet on the highway. We'll see how well the hold up, but so far so good.
I just put a set of Michelin LTX AT/2 on my 2020 F250 this morning. Not much experience with them yet, but I've always had good luck with Michelins.
I was planning on putting those on this year, but the reviews I read said they weren't good on wet roads. I had enough of that with the OEM Firestone Transforce HTs that came on it. I would be interested to hear how the LTXs work for you.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I was planning on putting those on this year, but the reviews I read said they weren't good on wet roads. I had enough of that with the OEM Firestone Transforce HTs that came on it. I would be interested to hear how the LTXs work for you.

I'll report back after I've driven them a while in different conditions. I know the review(s) you refer too. Like anything, there's always reviews for and against. I saw that one person really blasted the wet road performance, but I didn't see many more reviews that expressed the same issue, so I kind of weeded that review out. I'll let you know what my experience is.
I just put a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W, LT235/75r15, tires on my 1996 Geo Tracker, for summer time off road use. I run in alot of sharp lava rock, and wanted something with strong, stiff sidewalls.

It's the only 15" tire, I know of, that is load rated 10 ply/E/80 psi. Hard ride off road, but I don't think any worries about sidewall punctures. Each tire is rated at 2755 max load.....that is more than the whole rig, loaded, weighs!

Andy3
Originally Posted by Andy3
I just put a set of Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W, LT235/75r15, tires on my 1996 Geo Tracker, for summer time off road use. I run in alot of sharp lava rock, and wanted something with strong, stiff sidewalls.

It's the only 15" tire, I know of, that is load rated 10 ply/E/80 psi. Hard ride off road, but I don't think any worries about sidewall punctures. Each tire is rated at 2755 max load.....that is more than the whole rig, loaded, weighs!

Andy3

I prefer E rated tires on my off road rigs. Just run them at the correct tire pressure for the weight of your vehicle and the ride will be as good as any. Probably around 26-30lbs psi for a Tracker.

A lot of people like to complain about E rated tires, and it's almost always because they run them at stupid high PSI for the weight of their vehicle.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Andy3

Andy3

I prefer E rated tires on my off road rigs. Just run them at the correct tire pressure for the weight of your vehicle and the ride will be as good as any. Probably around 26-30lbs psi for a Tracker.

A lot of people like to complain about E rated tires, and it's almost always because they run them at stupid high PSI for the weight of their vehicle.

Agreed. 40 psi looks to be the sweet spot, between stiffer sidewalls, and smooth "enough" ride. Plenty of contact area, side to side, so it won't wear the centers too much. First mileage check, still at 24 mpg.

Andy3
© 24hourcampfire