Home
Posted By: LouisB 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 11/30/22
Three times the fuel pump has been running after the truck has been shut down.
Some relay somewhere seems to turn it on after the truck is shut down.
So far I have found that starting the engine and shutting it off shuts down the pump.
Anyone else have this issue?
Posted By: Teal Re: 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 12/01/22
IIRC there was a Toyota recall on these - might start there.

Posted By: LouisB Re: 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 12/01/22
That recall is for pumps that stop working.

Mine seems to start up/run all on its own when no one is doing anything with the pump. Maybe these that do all of the extra running on their own are the one that fail!
Posted By: Teal Re: 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by LouisB
That recall is for pumps that stop working.

Mine seems to start up/run all on its own when no one is doing anything with the pump. Maybe these that do all of the extra running on their own are the one that fail!

Was my thought.
It’s not the fuel pump running that your hearing. It is actually the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and is normal. I thought the same thing years ago when I was waxing my truck and heard the noise start, truck was parked for hours and it decided to perform the check. I called the Toyota service dept. and asked if he ever heard of a fuel pump running while the truck was off and he knew exactly what I was talking about. It’s normal, there’s nothing wrong with your truck.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 12/01/22
westernMD got it right. My '14 does it also. I thought it was actually smog pump purge. BUT either way, it's normal.
Originally Posted by westernMDhunter
It’s not the fuel pump running that your hearing. It is actually the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and is normal. I thought the same thing years ago when I was waxing my truck and heard the noise start, truck was parked for hours and it decided to perform the check. I called the Toyota service dept. and asked if he ever heard of a fuel pump running while the truck was off and he knew exactly what I was talking about. It’s normal, there’s nothing wrong with your truck.
Yes, they make weird noises(Tacomas) when shutting down and sometimes after a few hours.
Posted By: Terryk Re: 2018 Tacoma Fuel pump issue - 12/09/22
I got a post card from Toyota, that the Denso pumps are defective, and will be replaced if I experience problems. I have a 2018 4runner.
Originally Posted by Terryk
I got a post card from Toyota, that the Denso pumps are defective, and will be replaced if I experience problems. I have a 2018 4runner.

Same here with the 18 4runner I traded in last January
© 24hourcampfire