Home
Posted By: hunting1 Best off road truck stock? - 09/30/07
I have an 07 not important of make, but it is not the mountain truck my 98 Z71 was. What is the best truck for off road. Needs to be able to pull a trailer or camper, so Toyota Tacoma is out. There was a Dodge limited model with lockers and winch, but never see them. I wish I just kept my 98 Chevy!!!!
I can't speak for the best,as I haven't driven them all off road,but after spending a week hunting,I can tell you that my 2007 Tundra does offer more ground clearance and a better suspension for rough terrain than either my 2004 Sierra Z71 or my 1999 silverado Z71.

lots of yota's out there, Jeeps too.

spot
best off road "truck" i have is an '92 isuzu rodeo. Plenty of room, narrow, good turning radius, good ground clearance, relieable, great MPG.

Second best truck ive owned and used for off roading was a bone stock 1959 willys jeep pickup with the snail paced 4 cylinder. That truck was a mule when it come upon a rocky, muddy trail!

Take a bottle of asprin because that willys rode like a tank.
Posted By: badger Re: Best off road truck stock? - 09/30/07
Originally Posted by hunting1
I have an 07 not important of make, but it is not the mountain truck my 98 Z71 was. What is the best truck for off road. Needs to be able to pull a trailer or camper, so Toyota Tacoma is out. There was a Dodge limited model with lockers and winch, but never see them. I wish I just kept my 98 Chevy!!!!

Dodge Power Wagon, driver selectable diff locks and sway bar disconnects. Very capable off roader but big & heavy, a disadvantage in the soft sfuff. Was only available with the Hemi, no diesel.

badger
best off road "truck" i have is an '92 isuzu rodeo.

The vast majority of people would not classify the isuzu rodeo as a truck.Most likely an SUV,but not a truck.
lotsa yota's out there. take a stock tocoma with a set of 31" muds an a capable drive and you got something.
I prefer the rodeo over any truck. Pickups are to light in the rear end for my liking. Isuzu i-370 would make a great trail pickup. Ive been looking hard at those.
Thats true. My cherokee has proven that argument multiple times. That would have been my first choice but they arent very capable stock. 3" lift an 31's rub a lil. But it doesnt have a frame(unibody),great motor, lots of accessories for it, solid axle, etc etc.

What about somethin like the jeep wrangler rubicon? Comes with lockers, and bfg mudders, has solid d44 axles, etc. A lil short for my taste but plenty of people like them.
Posted By: woofer Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/03/07
78' chevy k25 with 60's and lockers. 350 w/th400. see how easy that was?

woofer
Unimog.

Maybe not practical but it is the best off-road truck stock. Also has the most available options. grin
Those uni's are just plain cool. But they are a lil tall.

Oh woofer if we are talkin about older rigs I would have to say an 85 yota with lockers. Spin that lil four banger up high. Tough, LIGHT, and not a chevy lol

Light truck (if your not pulling anything) with a rear locker.

Mine is a toyota tacoma off road 9+ inches of clearance, and a rear locking differential.

Spot
Trouble is the best offroad rigs aren't really setup for towing. And most towing rigs are too heavy to head offroad with, unless you put in alot of mods.

I'd say the best stock offroading rig would be a toyota tacoma w/ factory e-locker in the rear.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/03/07
I know you said you did not want the Tacoma, but unless you need a 3/4 ton for towing I think you should consider one. The 07's are really more of a mid-size than a small truck. I traded my 02 F-150 for an 07 Tacoma 6 weeks ago. I gave up a little interior room but it is plenty big enough for my needs. The primary reason I wanted to trade is because I wanted a smaller truck. I no longer needed a big truck.

The horsepower, torque, payload, and trailer towing ratings are a virtual tie. My new Tacoma and old F-150 are both rated to tow 6500 lbs. My F-150 had the 4.6 engine. The 5.4 would have probably only added around 1500 lbs to that.

When it comes to off-road capability my Tacoma has more ground clearance, better skid plates, better approach and departure angles, a tighter turning radius and a locking rear diff. Plus it is 1400 lbs lighter which translates into 4-5 more mpg's, quicker acceleration and braking.

My old F-150 was an excelent truck and gave me no problems for 5 years, but this Toyota fits my needs better at this time in my life. There may be better off road trucks out there but this one seems to be pretty darn good.
One thing that I am noticing. Newer nice trucks and off roading just dont mix. Unless you want to end up with a newer un-nice truck. Stuff happens out there I wonder just what everybodys different idea of off roading is. I mean I would be the first to admit that taking a 15,000 dollar pickup through the stuff that I take my 3,000 dollar jeep through would make me cringe.
The Tacos with the selectable locker are quite capable(especially with the grey wire mod, if I remeber correctly that is what it is called). But most capable stock pickup truck hands down is the Dodge Power Wagon. Although, like mud bogger said I too would have a hard time taking a new truck through some of the stuff that I take my 8 year old Dodge Ram through.
Well he said he wants to pull a trailer or camper and no tacoma's so that leaves all the aformentioned tacomas, jeeps, etc out. The last couple models of chevy w/ the offroad package has a e-locker. That's what I would check out. Or look up a fourwheeler magazine review.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/05/07
05+ tacoma's can pull a trailer or haul camper just like a dodge dakota can, if thats enough for you....
Depends on where you are going with the taco/camper combo. Im from CO and i dont see tacomas ever hauling a camper or even an ATV trailer. Usually a dirt bike in the back and thats it. Only texans are crazy enough to come up through these mountains hauling a 32' camper with an f-150. That dude was nuts! Then you have the illinois guys hauling a 21' to 28' with a dodge minivan! Some people have no sense at all.
Posted By: CCH Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/05/07
If you're looking new, the Dodge Power Wagon is the only full size truck really set up from the factory for remotely serious off-road use (good clearance, lockers, lifted, even a winch). BUT it's a pretty big vehicle for a lot of trails. I think every vehicle is going to be a compromise. If you need to tow, that is probably going to really cut your list down especially if a lot of up hill is involved. If you found a '98 Z-71 to be a great off-roader (I had one and have a 2001 now), then your off road needs may be very secondary to your towing/on-road needs.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/05/07
I've got a real nice 2006 Taco CC 4X4 and I agree, it's not a camper hauler. 4 wheeler, bikes, decent size bass boat, no problem. I wouldn't go much further than that.

For off roading though, it's hard to beat. with the weight, size and power to weight ratio it just goes where others won't.

Terry
What about a bronco? in the mid 90's era? short wheelbase, decent power, dime a dozen, Good turning radius.
bro in law has an 89 bronco " full size" 302, 4 or 5 speed and its a dog. Horrible turning radius, No power.

We've owned a 94-95 f250 with the 351 and 302 and those things were dogs, sucked gas like crazy, 12mpg empty " now we know why they both had 2 fuel tanks! No power. Take about 2 blocks to turn around. Then again, most fords ive driven are like that.

IMO, a mid to late 302-351 ford is a horrible starting place to look when it comes to wanting to haul a camper or anything thats decent.

One "truck" that comes to mind that was pretty good was a '95 isuzu trooper with the 3.2 v6. We hauled an 89 f150 and our 18' flat bed trailer " 1880lbs" with that Trooper and it didnt even break a sweat.
Only bad thing about that trooper, Seats were as hard as a rock and it rode like a tank with no give it the suspension.

Best off road truck??
How big is your budget? I personally wouldnt spend 30-40k on a truck and take it off roading. No friggin way!
Posted By: Mossy Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/05/07
Originally Posted by bigblock455

Best off road truck??
How big is your budget? I personally wouldnt spend 30-40k on a truck and take it off roading. No friggin way!

Why not? A truck is a tool,just like a hammer,chainsaw,rifle,etc. Its sheetmetal and paint for gods sake.

My truck has 8900 miles on it and I'm going hunting next week. Its a QC,LB Dodge with a Cummins in it. Its not an ideal offroad rig for sure. It'll come back scratched to hell and covered in mud though.
HMMM dad has an 86 bronco with a 302 and 4 speed witha detroit locker in the rear. It does real good until the wieght gets in the way. Always thought it turned pretty sharp.

I do think that it would be better to buy a used rig and put on the modifications you want. Make it the off roader that your are picturing. You should still come out money ahead.
[quote=Mossy
My truck has 8900 miles on it and I'm going hunting next week. Its a QC,LB Dodge with a Cummins in it. Its not an ideal offroad rig for sure. It'll come back scratched to hell and covered in mud though. [/quote]

And there isnt a darn thing wrong with that. The way I read this thread, I interpeted the rig was primarily a hunting/wheelin rig. And for that purpose I wouldnt want a brand new tacoma or what have you.
Anyone crazy enough to take a 30-40k truck and scratch it up, beat it up apparently has to much money lol.

A tip, Its kind of expensive " for me anyways wink " Buy a can of Liquid Glass, Rub a minimum of 4 coats on the truck. That stuff is amazing! We used it on our f250 before hunting season, almost threw up when we heard that ugly sound of a stick running across the side of the truck. Later on we washed the truck by hand and all those, what we thought were scratches, wiped right off with zero marks left in the paint.
Its $20 for a smallish sized bottle. Can get it at autozone, advanced auto. Places like that.

Its not only the outside of the truck i worry about. I also worry about my seats and somewhat of the carpet. I have no need to destroy my vehicles for hunting/off roading. My hunting rig is my personal daily driver too.
I have a brother who says, " Why are you waxing it? the paint is already faded in areas"
I prefer to apply wax anyway to keep the truck looking somewhat good looking. No need to let it go to hell over a few faded areas on it.
30-40k for sheet metal and paint is one reason to take care of it!
I ran a Ford Bronco, 302/4SPD for quite a few years. Great machine. I never saw any Isuzu Troopers in the field,but I had a tow chain just in case.
Just to show my "rig" Its a '92 isuzu rodeo, 3.1 v6, 5 speed. 4 low in this thing is amazing and ive never gotten stuck. Only 2 feet of snow stopped me that day. My tires suck, but for $35 each, they have done great. I picked it up 2 years ago with 128k, cold blowing ac, for $1500 out the door. So far ive only had to replace the Rotor that cracked in half on me. 169k on it now and i never plan on getting rid of it. Excellent truck to take on narrow trails, EXCELLENT MPG! Thats what i look for in a hunting truck. Works good as a daily driver also.
[Linked Image]
ive never gotten stuck.

Thats cuz your not trying hard enough grin

The interior takes abeating your are right on that. I have been debating about getting the carpet in my jeep replaced with the spray on bed liner. Heck with as hard of a time as I hae keepin coffee in the cup it couldnt hurt

You an I have the same Idea on huntin rigs though.
[Linked Image]
I try avoiding the places where its possible to get stuck lol. I see a mud hole, i go around! Theres no telling how deep that hole may be and im not going to tear up my truck by finding out. Its just a good heavy truck that has excellent weight balance. In that pic, i went up the mountain in 2wd but had my transfer case in 4low. I have manual locking hubs. I also prefer to take it up slow rather than get in a rush and pop a tire.
Man, i really like that push-bumper you have on your jeep. And the spot lights, Those babies make hunting easier lol j/k. My next trail ride i'll have to take some pics on the terrain. Pretty rough,rocky, steep and friggin narrow. After my last trip up that tail, my seat has a permanent ass cheek bite mark in it.
lol gotta few marks like that on my seat to even a stain from one trip lol. The KC's make it nice when you have some A-hole coming towards you that wont turn his high beams off. Flip the KC's on an thier high beams go off right NOW lol.

Ya see I'm kinda stubborn when it comes to mud holes. If it looks like somebody got stuck in one well now I gotta see if I can make it through. Ever since I got that winch I get stuck alot more I have to tell ya.

I wish the jeep had manual hubs, I hate the auto hubs that it has. But its a 1000 dollars for the manual hub conversion so Im stickin with what I got.

The cherokee also has a uni-body. There is no frame sitting down below to hang up on stuff. Yet another plus.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/06/07
Anyone crazy enough to take a 30-40k truck and scratch it up, beat it up apparently has to much money lol.

I'm not crazy,I view my truck as a tool. It sure don't have to look good to tow my boat or fifth wheel.

If I wanted a rig to drive up and down the highway I'd have bought a car.
Off-Roading would need to be better defined. My off roading is a lot different than anything in the above pictures. Key components though would be

1) Ground Clearance, lots of it
2) Better and bigger tires than those that come stock
3) The lighter the rig the better. My Tacoma with 32" tires would go places my Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins could never dream of getting. The heavier the truck the quicker it finds the bottom.
4) Power, lots of it, regardless of whether your in 4 HI or 4 Lo.

Its a little tough to figure on you doing the off road thing and it looking like what I call the off-road thing. We all live in different places.
your right on the different places thing.

the 31" mudders I have on the jeep now do just fine for me as long as I can keep outt the big ruts. Just cant afford a lift to fit the bigger tires.

+ 1 on the lighter the rig the better. With a lil momentum a person can get up on top of the deep snow here if your light. my jeep tops the scales at 380lbs if I recall correctly and it helps just as much as the tires and clearance.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/06/07
lighter is better, but it just ain't good if you've got the camper too.

Terry

I love mine.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCH Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/06/07
I bought my truck new but to use. I didn't want to wait until it had 100,000 miles to use the four wheel drive. Six years and 95,000 miles later it isn't pristine but the only body damage I've had to repair has come from a parking garage and vandalism. Scratches buff out well enough that it doesn't look too bad. Not soccer mom clean, but decent enough. Floor mats deal with most of the mud and dirt, the shop vac with the rest. Unfortunately, I've not been able to drive around every mud hole but know there are places I could definitely get stuck! Point is, I bought it to use and as a daily driver. If I wasn't going to take it off road and hunting, I would have bought a car. The engine is still going strong and I'm hoping to enjoy it another 100k.

TC1, that is one pretty Toyota you've got there. Might have to consider one of those in a few years.
I Feel different about the weight issue. I feel that in mud, weight is better. I should say " balanced" weight is better. A pickup with no weight in the back is totally worthless and thats when you lose traction and end up getting stuck. My Isuzu is a little over 4000lbs and actually has weight over the rear wheels to keep it planted down.
Now i know all of you guys know the feeling when you hit a muddy road in your pickup, you hit the gas and the ass end starts to come out and around on you. I dont get that with my isuzu, and thats one reason i prefer the Rodeo over a pickup. Hell, a few years back i saw a tacoma coming down the pass on the snowy highway, had maybe 2" of fresh snow and that poor guys truck ass end slid out from under him and into the side of the mountain he went before rolling it.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/06/07
Your Isuzu is no different than a Tacoma.
riiiiiiight.

then again, another thing we should look into is the gearing. To much torque on wet slippery roads at the wrong time also ends your chance at getting any traction
Posted By: TC1 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/07/07
Too much pressure on the gas pedal would be my guess.

Knowing how to drive is more important than what you drive. Because you saw some poor guy wreak his truck, well it simply adds nothing to your point.

Terry
feel free to take a ride up my road after the snow has melted. Its pretty darn bad at that time and every truck that comes up our road is going up sideways.
ok, so your point is your isuzu will go down a stretch of ROAD my toyota won't.

well, ok. if you say so.

Terry
mine'll go straighter while yours is fish tailing and trying to come around on you. thats all i was getting at.
All he is saying is that the isuzu's wieght is balanced better than a pickup. Generally that is the case with the SUV's. A few sandbags in the rear of your truck bed helps alot.

Your also correct about driving skill versus the capability of the rig. throttle control and picking the right lines will take you a long ways.

But this thread isnt about the drivers.
Couldnt have said it better.
ok, if you say so.
by the way. Just how stock is that taco of yours? grin
Emu 3" lift coils, spring paks, Bilstein 5150's and Mickey THOMPSON MTZ's.

Terry
98-02 rodeo with 3" lift and 32x11.5 mounted on 15x8 rims. Check out the ground clearance on that sucker!
[Linked Image]
darn. I was thinkin 4" lift.

98-02 rodeo with 3" lift and 32x11.5 mounted on 15x8 rims. Check out the ground clearance on that sucker!

Almost the same as a tacoma grin sorry couldnt resist
No, about 3" is optimum. It still has plenty of ground clearance but isn't top heavy.

Terry
I have a 3" on my cherokee and 31's rub at full turn. I wanted to get 33's on it. But that requires a 6" lift ($1000 for the cheapest one) and a SYE, and gears. Figure next time i get tires I will install a 1 3/4" econo lift. basically extended shackles and coil spacers. That will allow 32's.

yep, one thing you need to be real careful of when do mods. you can build a matainance monster if you're not careful. big parts will do that. Stress U joints etc. Sometimes it pays to deal with a little less.

Terry
Yup your right. Probly would have to upgrade the axles then as well. Figure the 31's get me in enough bad spots. Hopefully I wont have the jeep for much longer either. I really want an x-cab 97 ranger but we'll see.
I buy a new truck for hunting and toeing, so not real worried about scratches allthough I do try and avoid them. It was a 35000 truck. I would go with a Taco if no towing was involved, but they are not made for that, doesn;t mean it won't, but my buddies does not look good pulling a 12' trailer and 3-quads. My big issue is even with a level kit my F150 scre drags everywhere and you can not get a locker for them either. I should have got another Z-71, but the new ones are ugly and look like they are more geared towards soccer moms. I wish I did not sell my 98. Thanks
Why not look through a truck trader magazine for a 98 Z-71 then?
I have a '91 Isuzu Trooper II, with the 5 sp. manual and 4 cylinder motor and so far have been impressed with its off-road ability. 4wd low gives a good crawling speed and it is narrow enough to get through some timber if needed. Not much wider than the Polaris 700 that my buddy uses. I have a moderately aggressive AT tire on it. No snow use yet, but so far, so good.
uh-oh not another vote for the isuzu grin
i also owned an 89 isuzu trooper. Once i adjusted the valves, that thing ran like a bat out of hell. That sucker only had 284,000 miles when i sold it lol. I still got $1200 out of it.
That dont matter. Jeeps are still better lol
yeah better when it comes to failures and recalls hehehe
My only complaint about that cherokee is

the stupid pressure bottle instead of a fill the top radiator,
Auto hubs
Lotsa brittle vacume lines
dim headlights
power anntenie
Always havin to pull out isuzu's

Other than that I like it alot. Goin wheelin tomorrow, hope I dont find to many troopers on the trail lol
you forgot tranny problems!

I didnt know jeep used a lot of vacume lines. I thought ford was the only dumb company to use plastic vacume lines lol.

Good luck pulling those troopers. 5,000lbs VS that chrysler auto tranny is gonna be a wee bit scary wink

lol just givin ya chit
thats why I got the winch. To pull them zuzu's outta the road. Its got enuff vacume lines for me. I keep replacin them with rubber hose as they break though, so I should be runnin outta those lines at least.

The tranny is the one part that hasnt given me any trouble at all. Surprisingly enough. I'll have a few pic's of tomorrow.
Goona be one of those trips where you know you shoulda taken a buddy with ya. Where you know your goona try somethin dumb just to see if you can make it. lol

Heres a few to keep you waitin.
[Linked Image]
This one was a bad idea 110 percent.
[Linked Image]
Well, I don't have any real experience with the Trooper in any really nasty stuff, just some sand and a little mud and it has done well. We will see this winter with some snow and more mud during the hunting season
On a somewhat related note, I just returned from a antelope hunt in Wyoming and our guide there drove a '07 Dodge 3500 Quad cab. Cummins diesel with 6 sp. manual tranny. I have not spent much time in any Dodge trucks, and I must say that I was impressed with the off-road ability of that truck. Suprisingly good ride in the rough stuff for a 1 ton truck as well.
I am biased but I love tooling around in my corner of BC in my rebuilt '57 Land Rover. Not exactly giving answers to the original thread. Lots of fun and hasn't let me down. Once its in low range, you know what it was made for.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Swift Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/16/07
Originally Posted by uber_ungulate
I am biased but I love tooling around in my corner of BC in my rebuilt '57 Land Rover. Not exactly giving answers to the original thread. Lots of fun and hasn't let me down. Once its in low range, you know what it was made for.

[Linked Image]

Nice LR!!!

I'll take my 02 Tacoma where others won't dare follow..
Yep the land-rover will smoke most other trucks.
But it costs over 50k and not by a few bucks.
Waiting for repair parts is also a consideration.
Great truck though

Something else about trucks.

If your driving through fields to hunt pheasant, yotes, or anthing else ALOT get a disel - so the exhaust won't start a grass fire like a gas engine will.

Spot
Posted By: Longbob Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/16/07
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Something else about trucks.

If your driving through fields to hunt pheasant, yotes, or anthing else ALOT get a disel - so the exhaust won't start a grass fire like a gas engine will.

Spot

Unless it is a new Ford diesel. Ford Flame Thrower grin

Posted By: Longbob Re: Best off road truck stock? - 10/16/07
Actually, I feel that any of the new diesels will run the same risk of grass fires that the gassers may have with the converters. The new diesels have a similar system with the regen and those get very hot. The Ford video just removes any doubt when you have a broken injector dumping raw fuel into the exhaust system. smile
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Yep the land-rover will smoke most other trucks.
But it costs over 50k and not by a few bucks.
Waiting for repair parts is also a consideration.
Great truck though

If you are talking about the series LR say sixties vintage, then parts can be found reasonably when compared to most other things out there. Parts can also be purchased easily once you know the sources, an there is several to chose from. Even with ordering parts from England, I can have them in about a week. I purchased the project vehicle and rebuilt it for less than what a new 4x4 quad would cost. I could do this by doing all the work myself. Newer Landrovers have turned into status symbols but they still build the "workhorse" models. I use " because most get used for an urban conversation piece.

As I said, I am biased. Its no speed demon, but its sure fun.
Click here to watch RC-VID-0001AINT NOTHIN BUT A JEEP THING grin
Posted By: Swift Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/14/07
Originally Posted by BoydHeaton

Not really ready to jump on the impressed wagon..
Originally Posted by Swift

Would you like to play follow the leader????
Posted By: dubePA Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/14/07
Boyd, did you ever get to know Bob Bitner? Bob loved his old Land Rovers and would brag on 'em forever. I stumped him once, when I asked him how a guy could attach a magnetic sign on them aluminum doors.

whistle

Boyd, did you ever get to know Bob Bitner?
I know a Bob Bitner..Bus Driver
Posted By: dubePA Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/15/07
Bob spent most of his career as an owner/operator for Allied Van Lines, might've driven bus after he retired, forget. He and his wife Nell both shot for years at Williamsport. He's been gone to his reward for some time though, forget when the ol' rascal passed on. Maybe 10 or 12 years now?

I was up there about 18 years ago when both were shooting. Bob kept nagging at his wife to return the Unertl to position each time she shot a sighter, so she finally told him to STHU. Naturally, when Bob shot the same rifle "for score" in his relay, he fired one shot without sliding the Unertl back where it belonged. Made for good conversation afterwards, since he blamed her for anything that went awry.

He swore by them boxy old Land Rovers. The guy at the local garage who had to keep it running, mostly swore at it. ;O)

Posted By: Swift Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/16/07

Sure, which one is yours?
I love my little boxy '57 Rover too. Three years to rebuild with some refinements to suit Canuck climate. Its like stepping back in time every time I take this rig out hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sure, which one is yours?
The CJ7
Tough to beat a Land Rover. Bought an LR3 last year, and I think it's the perfect combo of towing, off roadability, turn radius, (which is where most pickups let you down) approach and departure angles, gearing, rigidity and not least comfort. Mine even has a built in drink 'fridge, as well as an Off-Road nav system. Plenty of interior capacity too.

Yeah, it WAS expensive, but then the question was about the BEST.
Posted By: Fang Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/23/07
That's called a Dodge "Power Wagon." Hemi engine, I think.
Very tasty and basically indestructible.
Posted By: Stetson Re: Best off road truck stock? - 11/28/07
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
What about a bronco? in the mid 90's era? short wheelbase, decent power, dime a dozen, Good turning radius.

I had a '95 Bronco with a 351C in it I bought new. Kept it for ten years and over 100k. The engine didn't burn a drop of oil. By far the best ORV I have ever had.
Posted By: fishdoc Re: Best off road truck stock? - 01/30/08
take a look at the Baja 1000 race class results. Hummers and Fords do well.
and what part about a baja 1000 race truck is stock??
Posted By: fishdoc Re: Best off road truck stock? - 01/31/08
mud, there are several Baja classes including some with serious modifications but take a look at the stock class rules which allow some engine upgrades but original suspension components. I was at the same bed and breaksfast with Rod Hall after he won his stock class at the 2007 Baja 1000. He was driving his race H3 home to Reno. It was beat up some but it had the 5 cylinder engine and manual transmission and appeared to be a very basic H3. I am not a serious Baja follower and there may be rules in the stock class that allow other than engine modifications. Fishdoc/
That makes sense.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Best off road truck stock? - 01/31/08
Too bad they are not sold in the USA, but the Toyota Land cruisers we have on my ranch in South Africa are simply the last word for factory off road use. Little 6cyl diesel engines, selectable diff lock front and rear, and built so heavy duty that I have pushing 300,000 on them and there has never been a mechanical failure, The cigerette lighter plugs have broken on both of them, and the battery cables have failed. I get about a flat tire a week on average during the season from the thorns.

Other wise they are more like a farm tractor then a consumer vehicle. These are still available in Asia Austraila and Africa. But this model has never been sold in the USA.
oh man, perfect ...
Posted By: Stetson Re: Best off road truck stock? - 02/03/08
Originally Posted by JJHACK
These are still available in Asia Austraila and Africa. But this model has never been sold in the USA.

That's because they want to keep bleeding us to buy new vehicles every few years. I'd love to have one of them bad boys assuming it wouldn't cost more than my house once they got to the US.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Best off road truck stock? - 02/08/08
Just so you know what I'm talkin about.

[Linked Image]

After hitting a cow kudu at 60km/hr

[Linked Image]
oh i like that
Posted By: Stetson Re: Best off road truck stock? - 02/08/08
Looks like ya busted a rhino rhoid on the headlight! eek grin
Tacoma
so stinkin' cool ...
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Other wise they are more like a farm tractor then a consumer vehicle. These are still available in Asia Austraila and Africa. But this model has never been sold in the USA.

a friend of mine bought one new from a mining equipment distributor in canada, re-registered it as a re-build using a 70's FJ-80 VIN (since it won't meet DOT/TSB/EPA regs), and drives it all over creation. Personally, i think they are a little better suited to the desert (or an underground mine) than western canada, but to each his own.
As a update to this thread, I was out at our ranch this weekend, with the warm weather, the snow was melting and it was a slushy, muddy mess. The Isuzu Trooper did extremely well in the soupy stuff, especially in 4wd low. I think it would be darn near unstoppable with dedicated mud tires in place of the all terrain tires it wears now.
Posted By: DCUP Re: Best off road truck stock? - 02/18/08
Dodge Power Wagon, hands-down.

It'll tow too, but not with the capability of a regular 3/4-ton truck with towing package and the concomitant suspension/tranny setup.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Best off road truck stock? - 04/03/08
The trouble with the Series Landrovers is that they were generally seriously underpowered. There was a V6 petrol that was "interesting" but the transmission needed upgrading to handle the power..Even with the standard 2 1/4L engines they had a nasty habit of snapping rear half shafts...

Probably the most capable stock 4x4 would be the SWB LandRover Defender either the 200 or 300 TDI...It has far better axle articulation than the Land Cruisers, and better ramp over and departure angles. On the otherhand, I would think the LC would be far more reliable, and for hunting in the bush a non turbo engine makes a lot of sense..The driving position on most LandRovers is also very cramped as it was originally intended to take three people in the front at a push...this means the steering wheel and pedals are quite tight to the drivers side door..

The older Nissan Patrols were also good work horses and reliable but not quite up to LR standards off road..

Somebody mentioned Isuzu Troopers...I had a SWB 2.8D model...In many ways it was ideal for my needs, but its wasn't as tough nor capable as any of the three previous models mentioned. The engine was a gem though...
Posted By: Pete E Re: Best off road truck stock? - 04/03/08
Then you have some of the more "interesting" 4x4s which I guess are rarely seen the US..

The UMM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The so called "101 Foward Control Landrover"

[Linked Image]
(Notice the dead LR in the background!)

An older Series 2 Forward Control
[Linked Image]

The Pinzgauer, which is now replacing the LR in many roles in the British Army.. This wee truck has a ground clearance of about 14" as standard!
[Linked Image]

Then the extremely capable GWagon, as used by parts of the Canadian and American Armed Forces :

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.okmilmuseum.ca/images/G%20wagon%20final.gif[/img]

And finally the British Ibex, although this is semi-custom limited production vehicle..

[img]http://www.hv4x4.co.uk/images/P8120052.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.4wdonline.com/Foers/PiCs37/Ibex2f.1998trlr.jpg[/img]

So lots of good 4x4's out there...

Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best off road truck stock? - 04/04/08
I had an opportunity to drive a Pinzgauer off road a few years ago. It very slow with the 4 cyl. engine but was awesome off road. Thanks for posting the pictures.
© 24hourcampfire