Home
This isn't about a truck, but a trailer.

I need a new utility trailer. I want a 6x10 bed without wheel wells. I also want the tires to track with my pickup. To get what I want, I'm building a flatbed with tandem axles and 12" wheels. The wheels will be under the bed without wells. That will give me a 4K lb gross wt trailer and it'll keep the bed to not much over 24" high to make loading my garden tractor, etc. easy.

So, I ordered the axles from a local steel dealer. They quoted me a price somewhat cheaper than what I can buy the componants for myself and build my own. It's $220/axle which includes springs and brakes (the hubs are built into the brakes).

They came yesterday but they're a foot short. I ordered a 64" hub face length with a 48" spring center. They came with a 55" hub face and a 43" spring center. Seems that the guy who took my order has since been fired because he screwed up everything he touched. Well, duh. They'll make it good but now I have to wait another 2 weeks before I get on with the project. I want the axles in my shop before I cut the 1st steel so I know that everything will fit.

I hate it when crap like this happens. I wanted this thing pretty well done before good weather gets here.
Dick
grinSorry about the grin but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's having problems with other peoples stupidity grin
© 24hourcampfire