Home
Posted By: John_G Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 05/31/10
I need advice/experiences from owners of the above models. I am thinking of going a bit smaller than my current 2004 F-150 and am considering those two Toyotas. The vehicle will be my main vehicle and will go on all hunting and fishing trips, as well. What say you?
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 05/31/10
I really like the tacoma, I had a 2006, wrecked it, bought a 2007. No buyers remorse (downsized from a F250 Diese). I love the DC, and I got it with the long box. They are pretty darn good four wheel drives overal, but the FJ would probable win for pure offroad stuff. But you can haul waaay more stuff with the double cab, and the bloody stuff goes in back. And carseats fit too.

I would buy the tacoma again when this one wears out. About 60k on it in three years.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 05/31/10
I had to make the same decision 3 years ago. I felt the 4 door 4X4 Tacoma with a fiberglass shell on the back was far more versatile. And less expensive. I work with 2 people who own FJ Cruisers and have ridden in them. They are nice in their own way, but after nearly 3 years I have no second thoughts that I made the right decision.
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Another vote for the Tacoma. I had a '99 regular cab and an '04 extra cab. In the 8 years of owning them only had to replace one O2 sensor and it was covered under warranty. The Tacoma, though longer in wheelbase, in my experience is every bit as versatile off road as the FJ Cruiser unless you are getting into rock crawling and such.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Tacoma with a topper.
Posted By: John_G Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Originally Posted by tzone
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Originally Posted by John_G
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

.... you can put stuff under it.

Offers more versatility.

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
I haven't owned a Toyota, but I've had both pickups and SUV's of various types. I MUCH prefer a pickup with a topper. If you have to put a gas can in the back of your SUV on a hot day, you'll soon know why. Or a bloody corpse at the end of a hunting trip. Or a load of gravel.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Many simply don't like the looks of a pickup with a top on them, but it makes for a very versatile rig. My truck is used mostly as a hunting rig rather than a hauling rig. Most smaller trucks will be used the same and I have lots of lockable dry storage for hunting/camping gear.

I can take it off in 10 minutes if I want, but if I need to haul something that won't fit inside that is what my 10' trailer is for. It's easier to get firewood and heavy loads on the trailer with the ramp anyway.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

Because they're as off road worthy as an FJ, but you can put stinky, dirty, stuff you can't/don't want to put in the back of an FJ.
Posted By: battue Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/01/10
FJs are stout as hell. I have one and really like it and the driver compartment seems to have more room than my friends Tacoma. Only draw back I see with the FJ is if you need to haul a bunch of gear the FJ can get tight. I get by, but at times I wish for a little more carry capacity. Although when you fold down the back seats I usually have more than enough.

For a long haul trip I would prefer a full size especially if three people are involved.

I could live with either. Depends upon your individual needs.
Posted By: ppfd Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/02/10
I've been debating this same thing FJ vs. Tacoma. I've always owned a truck and thats my big worry. How will I haul the occasional "dirty" stuff. Dirt, yard waste, animals, general cargo. I guess I could get a trailer for the FJ haul with it.
I don't haul a lot, but have the truck is handy.

Anyone go from pick up to SUV? Any pluses or minuses?
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/02/10
I had always had a full size truck. When I had kids I went to an extended cab full size so the kids could ride. After they got bigger even that was not big enough, especially when their friends were involved.

Traded the truck for a Tahoe. It was a good enough road vehicle, but suffered off road and I could never get used to the problems of hauling trash etc. in it. I went back to a full size double cab and found the combination with a topper about perfect for my needs. My kids are grown and out of the house now so I downsized to the double cab Toyota 3 years ago. It is about perfect for me, my wife and the grand kids.

I really like the FJ. It is just not versatile enough for my needs.
Posted By: ppfd Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/02/10
Any idea why Toyota dropped "stick" operated 4wd in the Tacoma but kept it in the FJ? I think thats the main reason I have held off on a Tacoma. Granted there are millions running the roads so it must be a fine system. I'm such a traditionalist! grin
Posted By: Swift Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/02/10
Since you plan to use it as a hunting/fishing vehicle as well as DD go Tacoma.
Posted By: KDK Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
My company had an FJ, and if you are a tall guy, the sight lines (particularly looking up at signal lights) are ridiculous.
Posted By: remfak Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
You can never go wrong with having the utility and load carrying ability of a pick-up in your driveway.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
I'm on my 2nd Taco - TRD (2000 & 2006) and will some day have a 3rd. Neither one have ever failed to get me into where I wanted to go and back out. I have no experience with the FJ's so can't comment there. I just love my Taco!!

Bob
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't owned a Toyota, but I've had both pickups and SUV's of various types. I MUCH prefer a pickup with a topper. If you have to put a gas can in the back of your SUV on a hot day, you'll soon know why. Or a bloody corpse at the end of a hunting trip. Or a load of gravel.

Friend has an FJ and uses one of the receiver hitch type baskets (with sides and that folds up and pins in place) for dirty/smelly stuff and the roof rack for the rest with that stuff put in Tex-Sport bags and lashed down. Real nice setup. He put a 3" lift and bigger tires on it and it has the appearance of a bullfrog with an attitude.

His rear basket has a hefty 2" square tubing main support that he plugs another receiver hitch into for pulling his smallish sailboat. Spends considerable time on lakes Powell and Mead. Whole rig is well thought out and neat. Once home, all of the stuff comes off and is stored away.

I like both choices especially the Taco with a easily removable cap and painted to match the truck.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
Originally Posted by KDK
My company had an FJ, and if you are a tall guy, the sight lines (particularly looking up at signal lights) are ridiculous.

I've found it no better in a Taco. And you are right.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/07/10
I've had a toyota 4 runner, and a xtra cab toy truck with a shell on it. The truck with a shell beats an SUV in just about every category. The FJ probably has a slightly smoother ride, and as a dedicated off road vehicle might have a slight edge.

That said, in terms of carrying stuff, and putting smelly messy stuff in the bed, you can't beat a truck.
Posted By: ribka Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/08/10
I looked at both the Tacoma and FJ and 4 Runner. My friends have all 3 and I test drove all of them. Ended up buying the Tacoma, quad cab with the long bed. Have a leer to for it. Us it to throw in game, cut wood, haul trash, throw small boat in back.

Great smooth ride on the highway too
IMHO truck more versatile than an SUV
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/08/10
I have both a cruiser and Pickup, in both South Africa and the USA.

For pure offroad use the Cruiser might be the best rig ever made off the factory floor. However for hunting the pickup is not just a great off road truck, but has much more versatile use with the capacity of the bed under a canopy. I love my cruisers, but would not be able to give up the use of the bed on the pickup.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/09/10
I too ended up with the Tacoma Double Cab, Long bed with a cap (ARE). Much more room than an FJ, and more versatile. Off road it is tooooooooo loooooooooooooong, but that is the only downside I can think of.
Posted By: MattMan Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/09/10
Have a double cab Taco with a steel frame shell, and HAD multiple 4Runners and hilux pickups. Even the runner had more cargo room than an FJ and we kept the double cab Taco. I'd suggest that if I can't get there in my Taco I should be walking, and I used to call a double air locked, double transfer cased solid axle 4runner my DD/hunting rig.

The FJs win hands down for 'cool factor', but the Taco spanks it for using every time.
Posted By: jack1122 Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/10/10
I actually own one of each right now. The wife drives the FJ and I drive the Tacoma. I personally would rather drive my tacoma any day of the week. It rides much smoother and drives better. There is nothing wrong with the FJ it's just that I don't really like it. Someone said above that if your tall you have trouble with your view, This is very true. I will buy myself another Tacoma when this one is wore out. Just my opinion.

Jack
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/10/10
A couple of inches and 32's or 33's seems to help the truck not seem so long smile
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
I have owned 5 Toyota 4x4 pickups. So many, not because of problems, rather I used to drive 'em around 180k miles a year.

I bought an FJ because of the ride, the best in a true off road capable SUV. I am truly amazed at the places the FJ will go.

That all said, I have an '08 GMC 1500 4 door for hauling stuff.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Tacoma with a topper.

because...?

Because?? Why the hell would anyone even need to ask that question.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Even the originals from the early 60's in the USA were probably the most well thought out and built ORV made right from the showroom floor.

No other vehicle has won the Baja 1000 and the Dakar in stock format even to this day!

I have a 77 FJ40 which lacks all the soft comforts of a current SUV sold in America today, but it's unmatched durability and Off road performance are not available from the currently made vehicles either.

The FJ sold today in the USA is not sold in many other countries. I've never seen one in Australia, ( you can still buy the land cruiser there) nor are they sold in South Africa( you can still buy a land cruiser here too). I have however seen them in Saudi Arabia. Funny how Toyota markets things in different countries.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Yeah it is. I wish we could buy the hilux instead of the tacoma smile
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Diesel hilux would be perfect, but alas not an option.
Posted By: jpb Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Diesel hilux would be perfect, but alas not an option.

Why not? Do they have some Achilles heel that I am unaware of?

My university department has one, it has always taken me everywhere I wanted to go.

Diesel is not the great bargain it used to be here in Sweden, but Toyota diesels have the reputation of lasting forever so their resale value is still very high.

John
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
They don't import them into the US, they are great vehicles, but we can't get them.
Posted By: hwgtyd Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 06/30/10
Originally Posted by SeanD
A couple of inches and 32's or 33's seems to help the truck not seem so long smile

Now you're talkin'.
Speed also typically overcomes clearance issues grin
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: Tacoma vs. FJ Cruiser? - 07/02/10
I understand that the FJ shares the running gear with the Prada outside the U.S.
© 24hourcampfire