Home
Posted By: Huntman1 GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
i have an 05 f-150 i am running pinnacle grizzly grip 285s (33) I have had bfg mud terrain and didnt have a good turn out. i have 12000 miles on these grizzly grips and the wear sucks. Wat is a good mud grip i can get 35 or 40,000 miles out of?
Posted By: JPro Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
I would say Bridgestone Dueler MT's, but I don't think they make them anymore. I've know 3 different people who got 50k+ out of theirs on full-size trucks.

I've heard that the replacement tire, the Firestone Destination MT, is also a long-wearing tire. My father runs them on his Jeep and has seen very little wear.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
Toyo Open Country MT.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
hmmm, I wonder about the new BFG KM2?

You should buy some, put 35k on em & report back grin

(because I want a set)

Posted By: Huntman1 Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
i have a buddy who is a logger and put the km2 on a dodge 2500 and i think he got 25000 out of em
Posted By: Dogballs Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/23/10
I have Cooper STT's on an 1986 3/4 ton Suburban. They are pretty aggressive and I'm happy with them, but it's too early to see how they hold up.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/25/10
40K out of mudgrips that will really self clean in thick mud, on a full-sized truck, is about as likely to happen as 40mpg.

Get some mudgrips that perform, run them during hunting season, then switch to AT's. That is really the only way to go these days with what tires cost.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/25/10
Originally Posted by Dogballs
I have Cooper STT's on an 1986 3/4 ton Suburban. They are pretty aggressive and I'm happy with them, but it's too early to see how they hold up.

You will be extremely happy with the Cooper stt tire. I've got them on the wifes suburban and my 04 gmc. These things wear very well for a mud tire and are QUIET. They ride nice for a mud tire and the best thing, they are not as much money as the toyo mud tires they resemble. I got 75,000 out of the ones I had on my 4 runner. Trust me, you'll be happy with them.
Posted By: Washburn Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/27/10
I got over 40K out of Goodyear MTR's. Must rotate them every 5K though.
Posted By: Duquesne_Beer Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/27/10
I have owned trucks for 29 years now and I have never found a real mud tire that will last for very long. It all depends on what you use them for and how you use them.

When I ran gas lines, I bought a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers and i don't think that I got 30,000 miles out of them.

I bought Bridgestone Revo A/T and they wouldn't dig or clean themselves and I don't think that I got 25,000 miles out of a set of them.

The end result is to buy two new tires every year and sell the tires that are on your truck when you buy the two new ones.
That way you can choose if you want them in the front - to get you out of trouble when you get stuck, or if you want to put them on the back - to keep from having to run around all the time in four wheel drive.

A good set of tires is the TSL Thornbirds.
http://www.sams4x4store.com/SwamperThornbirds.htm
Posted By: Swift Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/27/10
Search the net. Thornbirds suck.
Posted By: Tonk Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/29/10
I have used the BF Goodrich tires and some other brands but the best I found for mud/snow was the Goodyear Workhorse tire. I used to stud the tires for the rear of my 2 trucks. Mileage wise I never got more than 23,000 miles out of a mud/snow tire on a truck. However, when I started studding them, this seemed to help out some and tire mileage jumped to around the 33,000 miles.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/29/10
just get a good set of high mileage tires and use chains.

i carry a set on my h2, just in case.

and they make a great carrier for antelope !
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roundup Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/29/10
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Toyo Open Country MT.

I presently have a set of those in 10 ply on my Dodge 2500 Cummins. I'm ready to replace them at 18,000 miles.
Posted By: LongRanger Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 09/29/10
I am trying the new Nitto Trail Grapplers. A little less aggressive than the Toyo MTs. They have not been out long enough to get an estimate of the tread life, but they are doing okay in the mud so far. I spend a lot of time on the Diesel Truck Resource forum, and people do report 40k or more out of Toyo MTs.

It appears that diesels are hard on mud grips in particular, and it can be a trick to find the size you want in the proper weight range. That is one of the reasons I went with Nitto, available in the 295/70-17 size I wanted in load range E.
Posted By: xverminator Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 10/15/10
I've got about 25,000 on my '07 3/4 Cummins with 33" Cooper STT's in place.... still about 50% tread left. If they will make 40,000, I'll buy another set. Quiet for a mudder on the highway, stick very well in the mud, all for a decent price. Pretty hard to beat so far, and I've ran several!!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 10/16/10
I use GoodYear Wranglers on my 4Runner. I go through the mud holes right along with the big trucks. laugh
Posted By: Partagas Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 10/28/10
Goodyear wrangler MT's I had on my 1500 silverado had 50K on them when I replaced them. I liked them quite a bit though went to the bridgestone revo's as I have a daily commute now.
Posted By: Glock2240 Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/07/10
Originally Posted by xverminator
I've got about 25,000 on my '07 3/4 Cummins with 33" Cooper STT's in place.... still about 50% tread left. If they will make 40,000, I'll buy another set. Quiet for a mudder on the highway, stick very well in the mud, all for a decent price. Pretty hard to beat so far, and I've ran several!!

X-VERMINATOR

I've ran two sets of the Cooper STT's on my 4.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. They have averaged between 47 and 50K miles. Just replaced the last set with the Maxxis Mudders because of the lower price. Anyone have any dealings with Maxxis Mudders?
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/09/10
Nitto trail grappler, thank me later.
Posted By: DoubleCK Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/13/10
Toyo M55s
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/13/10
Cooper STT'S are just as good and less money.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/13/10
i'm running master craft coursers made by cooper. so far they are working
Posted By: Metsamies Re: GOOD MUD GRIP TIRES - 11/25/10
I have not yet seen anyone say FIRESTONE DESTINATION M/T. I am running these and this set is on its third year. They have about 45,000 on them and it looks like they will brake the 50-55,000 that other folks reported they are getting.

Just for info sake I am running them on a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 with a 6.5TD under the hood. I don't do a lot of towing so I can't help in that department. I drive about 60-65% on road and 35-40% off-road and these things are awsome.

They grab in any situation they just dig in and go. Its really hard to find a bad review on this tire.

With any high traction M/T consitant rotation is key to long life, especially on vehicles with IFS.
© 24hourcampfire