Home
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
Anyone had/have one???Pros/cons?

George
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
Originally Posted by GeorgeS3
Anyone had/have one???Pros/cons?

George

They are GREAT! They will go anywhere a UTV will and you can be out of the elements with a heater! To get the full potential out of them you'll need a SOA lift, transfer case regear and some 31" tires.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
One real nice feature is that if you get it stuck you do a recovery with a decent come-a-long.
Posted By: Rman Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
I have built several. They go anywhere and are very easy to work on. They are nice machines!

R.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
They are *extremely* popular over here for building dedicated off-roaders...

First, what do you want it for? As an ongoing 4x4 project/build, the yare great...as a means of transport for a hunter they are a bit limited by their size and lack of cargo space..

If you live anywhere thats wet, they rust...in fact you can hear them rust as you drive...

Talking of ride, they drive like a small truck rather than a car and can be "tippy" especially after a lift..

On the plus side, they are cheap as chips, theres lots of aftermarket components for them, and they are fun.

I drive a Jimny which is the modernised version..It retains the box chasis and the bean axels, but has coil springs inside of leaf springs..On the downside some of the build is not as strong as the Sammy, although I have not had any problems...
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
Make sure parts are available in your area. Around here they're hard to come by.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/03/11
Samurai's rule! Parts abound on the internet!

Travis
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
I don't know about a Samurai, but 2 bigs guys in a GEO Tracker is a pretty tight fit.

JEff
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
Just got an 88.....Street legal...small lift.....
kid drove it from Tallahasee to P'cola coupla weeks ago....
All seems to work, even a/c....little bit o' rust....gf just picked it up tonite in p'cola
and is towing it to BR on Sunday......Two friends have
one each plus 2 parts cars....better than my Polaris Ranger 6 wheeler...
Heater, A/c, street legal....new tires....xtra top...2 spares...
have an 8000# winch...gotta build a frt bumper.....should be set.....

George
Posted By: Pete E Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I don't know about a Samurai, but 2 bigs guys in a GEO Tracker is a pretty tight fit.

JEff

Thats the problem with my Jimny as well...Its worse in winter when you tend to be wearing heavy bulky cold weather clothing...

That said, even in its standard form, the Jimny will get me places off road that leaves the drivers of larger 4x4's shaking their heads..A Sammy with a few modifications is even better in that respect..

As always, its horses for courses...
Originally Posted by GeorgeS3
Just got an 88.....Street legal...small lift.....
kid drove it from Tallahasee to P'cola coupla weeks ago....
All seems to work, even a/c....little bit o' rust....gf just picked it up tonite in p'cola
and is towing it to BR on Sunday......Two friends have
one each plus 2 parts cars....better than my Polaris Ranger 6 wheeler...
Heater, A/c, street legal....new tires....xtra top...2 spares...
have an 8000# winch...gotta build a frt bumper.....should be set.....

George

I'm sure it will give you lots of fun...post a few pics when you have a minute...
Posted By: rattler Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
one reason i like my full sized truck is i tend to stop and think before attempting alot of things.....in one of my Jeeps i just go cause they will get through some tight spots.....unfortunately it isnt till afterward when i get out and look back at what i got it through do i realize it was prolly i piss poor idea to go through it the first time, let alone the second to get back out crazy grin
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
Rattler....... well stated!

My Dad years ago told me I was a fool to drive with the 4X4 engaged. I should only use the 4X4 to get me out of stupid places that the 2X4 could not manage.

Since I was so much smarter then the "old guy" I bought a winch. Now I could use the winch to solve any problem I found myself in!

But the winch usually only pulled me deeper into the area I wanted to get out of. So I bought a receiver hitch winch for either front or rear. HA HA........ now I have it made, especially with the high lift jack and a shovel as standard Equipment!

Then I moved to the desert............ Hmmm no tress, no nothing to connect the winch to. To your point, I've looked back many times or driven back out many times wondering WTF was I thinking to come here!

Kinda like goat hunting. Climbing cliffs and rocks is always many times easier then descending those exact same cliffs and steep rocks. I have had a lot of come to Jesus meetings looking down from where I came and thinking there was no freaking way I could get back down!
Originally Posted by rattler
one reason i like my full sized truck is i tend to stop and think before attempting alot of things.....in one of my Jeeps i just go cause they will get through some tight spots.....unfortunately it isnt till afterward when i get out and look back at what i got it through do i realize it was prolly i piss poor idea to go through it the first time, let alone the second to get back out crazy grin

Good judement is diffinately a "must"...I tend to be quite "conservative" while out stalking as I want to be stalking, not doing vehicle recovery...

I have stretched things a little while out "green laning", but the beauty of that is you are usually with others, so there is normally help at hand to get you out..

Never done any extreme offroading (except in a track! grin) as my 4x4 has always been my dail drive, so don't want to trash it playing at the weekends..
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
I'll take pics on Monday in the daylight...It'll be here Sunday nite.....

George
Posted By: duckster Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/04/11
I have a buddy who has a lifted Suzuki, it works pretty well off road, but it is darn small inside. I have a Isuzu Trooper that also works well but has way more room. I would look for one of them over the Suzuki, especially the older, 4 cyl. manual tranny models.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/06/11
Been checking Craigslist for one for some time. Decided I'd sooner spend a thou for a beater Samurai/Tracker, than spend 5 times that much for another ATV. Want it to thrash around on my hunting property. Since most of my trails are only six feet wide in spots, figure it'd work?

My son spotted one for $800 a few weeks ago, but it had a puffed engine. Told him I want one that runs, cosmetics optional. Next one he found was a canvas/metal top fer cheap, but it had been rolled and the windshield was gone.

Guy that owns the local karate studio, has a Samurai he parks there from time to time. Offroad only, as I don't see an inspection sticker in the windshield. All-metal "cab", mild lift and pretty tall gums.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/06/11
For those interested in a Sammy, if you pick up a cheap one with a knackered engine, you can buy a kit for about $900 to drop a VW 1.6L or 1.9L Turbo Diesel engine into them..

The donor engine and other parts would be another few hundred dollars of course, but you then have the basis for a *really* great off roader...
Posted By: tx270 Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/06/11
I've had one for about 7 years, it used to be my dedicated hunting rig. Its been reliable and has held up well, will go anywhere, so light it doesn't even leave a rut in the mud to speak of.

But, like Jeff said, they don't have any room in the cab. Unless your a pair of chinese midgets, two grown men are stuffed in there like two pigs in a blanket. My CJ 7 feels like a stretch limo in comparison.

IMO they are a one man rig, hunting wise, basically a four wheeler with more room and a heater. Which isn't a bad thing.

Good little rigs otherwise.

Bill
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/14/11
I love my Samurai, but tonight I put a new starter in it and it the starter gear is staying engaged until I turn the motor off.

Anyone have an idea why?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/14/11
You might need to shim the starter. It sounds like the gear is in a bind with the ring gear and can't retract. Or, it could be a defective bendix in the new starter. If you let it go, it'll tear up the started in a hurry.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Suzuki Samurai - 02/14/11
I've never owned one. But know some that do.
They are lightly built. That means they break easily if used hard. Been my experience that sometimes you end up using them hard simply because you misjudged the situation. Or because you are tried and got careless.
They are fine for driving on snow covered highwways and light duty off roading. But nobody uses them for extensive off roading in desert washes for instance. And I see very few of them in the high country.
Those that have them and off road seriously have extensively rebuilt and replace much of the drive line, etc. with beefier stuff. E
Posted By: stumpy Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/01/11
Best hunting vehicle I have used. We have put 4 hunters, gear ice chest and a deer on mine. Try that that with a four wheeler. smile Lots cheaper than the new ATV's.
Great dependability. Mine is an 87 and runs great.
Rides a lot better with a couple hundred pounds in it. I put a heavy duty grill guard on mine where we put a hitch-hauler for the game and mesquite wood.
Runs right on top of our sandy soil during the hot dry summers without burying like the heavier trucks.

stumpy

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/01/11
Just wish I could find a reasonably priced used one up here.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/04/11
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've never owned one. But know some that do.
They are lightly built. That means they break easily if used hard. Been my experience that sometimes you end up using them hard simply because you misjudged the situation. Or because you are tried and got careless.
They are fine for driving on snow covered highwways and light duty off roading. But nobody uses them for extensive off roading in desert washes for instance. And I see very few of them in the high country.
Those that have them and off road seriously have extensively rebuilt and replace much of the drive line, etc. with beefier stuff. E

My experience has been the complete opposite. They work great in just about any off road situation including the desert. You should have seen the one tooling around the WSMR this past weekend on an Oryx hunt. That thing would go anywhere!

Put a SPOA lift on it and regear the transfer case and its pretty damn reliable! One of the best hunting guides in the country uses one in the desert in Nevada and he has never had any trouble and he hunts some damn rough country
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/04/11
The problem is alot of offroad enthusiasts get caught in a vicous cycle. That cycle is, go crazy on lifts and large dia tires. Then they figure they need more hp to spin the bigger tires, then they started breaking the drivetrain, so need to beef the drivetrain. Then their lightweight nimble vehicle becomes a heavy not so nimble vehicle.

Posted By: coyote268 Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/13/11
A friend of mine who is a guide has one and he says it is better than his ATV's and 4by getting around in. He loves it and it gets great gas mileage.
Posted By: Reba Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/29/11
I bought a box stock 1987 a few weeks ago.

I am going to use it for chukar hunting this fall/winter.

Only wish it were fuel injected.

I will improve the suspension, but no lift. Add mud terrains and a rear locker. A box with 10 inch deep drawer with two dog boxes on top of it. Have not figured out where to put the shotguns because it�s to narrow to lay them behind the front seats.

Loads of after market stuff . These guys are great:

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/samurai.html

Plus this guy has lots of used parts:

http://www.samuraisalvage.com/

When my heaters running I�ll just wave and smile at the ATV/UTV guys.
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/30/11
Where is a good place to buy the Samuri's? Are there any web sites that specialize in them?
Posted By: Reba Re: Suzuki Samurai - 03/30/11
Craigslist:

Under "search Craigslist" "For sale" type in: suzuki samurai
Posted By: simplyme Re: Suzuki Samurai - 06/06/11
1993 Chevy Tracker (GMC Tracke/Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick)

1.6 liter 8v engine
2" exhaust no cat. turbo muffler (my install a resonator to quiet it down)
K&N air filter
225/75R/15 tires

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire