Home
Posted By: lawnman Canoe transport - 07/11/11
Any of you guys have a canoe? I am sure you do BTW. Anyway, how do you transport it/them? I have a Crew Cab GMC and it hangs out the bed to far.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Canoe transport - 07/11/11
The safest way to carry it long distances is to get a set of roof racks (Yakima, etc,) and carry it up there. If you live where theft might be a problem, substitute hex nuts (one snugging and one locking) for the wing nuts and carry a ratchet with a socket wrench and an open end wrench. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will slow them down.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Canoe transport - 07/11/11
Lots of ways to skin this cat......

Here are a few------>

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/racks.php
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Canoe transport - 07/11/11
aint complicated (bumper is tweaked from a deer not the straps)
70+mph for a couple hundred miles multiple times, it doesnt move. Just if the roof is frosty and your loading it by yourself dont get behind the canoe before its tied, cuz it will run your azz over.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Canoe transport - 07/11/11
i've done it the same way as mudbogger.As far as the cushions i got mine years ago i think from bass pro with a lit to grip the canoe and protect the roof
Posted By: chris_c Re: Canoe transport - 07/11/11
I made a piece that slides into the receiver hitch and extends back to about one foot from the end of the canoe when laying in the truck bed. Attached lights to it for signals, brakes and running, couple eyes for a tie down. No lifting onto the roof.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Canoe transport - 07/12/11
Originally Posted by tbear99
i've done it the same way as mudbogger.As far as the cushions i got mine years ago i think from bass pro with a lit to grip the canoe and protect the roof

Saw a 4door tacoma the other day with a canoe on the roof with those things. Looked pretty slick. Granted I would probly loose one of them and have to figure out what the heck do I do with just one of the clamp things because if I buy a new one then I will find the one I lost and then I got three and im back at step one again grin

I'll stick with a rolled up towel, or just say screw it, im short an cant see the roof of the truck so it doesnt matter how scratched up it gets.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Canoe transport - 07/12/11
i have a headache rack on my truck and made a "goal post" that slides into the reciever, I load the atv all my other junk have some one help me toss the canoe up top and a way we go,
Posted By: ironbender Re: Canoe transport - 07/13/11
"Goal posts" in the stake pockets is another way to go.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Canoe transport - 07/18/11
A ladder rack works good, too. I used to use the foam blocks on the roof of my car. Worked ok...except for rubbing the paint off of the roof.
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Canoe transport - 08/12/11
While I've never loaded either of my canoes on my truck yet(I've got a boat-loader,I wonder how that's going to work?),I've sure done some distances with them on my Cherokee. Make sure it's solid,gravel road will loosen almost any, except quality straps.I used simple clam clamps from Clipper.For under the gunnels on the Thule rack I slide on heavy bike tube.Over the canoe,under the strap, that waffle rubber used in kitchen shelves. At the front and back as wide A-frame tie as you can do. I put stainless eye-bolt on the undersides of the bumpers.
Posted By: Win_94 Re: Canoe transport - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
[Linked Image]

Ive done it just like that for hundreds if not thousands of miles without failure. Word to the wise, that angle makes for a lot of drag.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Canoe transport - 08/12/11
Years ago, I used the foam blocks on a '71 Nova. The canoe served as a bug funnel. The air would pick up bugs in front, channel them to the back, then splat them straight down on the trunk lid. After an evening drive home, I'd have more bugs on the trunk lid than on the windshield.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Canoe transport - 08/12/11
Originally Posted by Win_94
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
[Linked Image]

Ive done it just like that for hundreds if not thousands of miles without failure. Word to the wise, that angle makes for a lot of drag.

I've never done it like that and never will 'cause it is a boneheaded move. The canoe needs to be carried level, either in the bed or elevated over the cab. If you could calculate the wind load/lift from that technique in the picture it would be scary and ALL of it is on that front rope. Do you even know what that rope's rated test is. That picture is an ideal demo of how NOT to carry a canoe.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: Canoe transport - 08/12/11
I dont see any rope in the pitcure.
© 24hourcampfire