Home
All my driving is in town, I never get on the highway. I'm a commercial/ residential remodeler and almost everyday I'm towing a 20' bumper-pull trailer loaded with enough tools to build the Super Dome football stadium.

What should I expect for fuel mileage???

Also need info on what cost is involved with the "Hippie Juice"...

Thanks!
You can expect maybe around 14-15 mpg.
Around town loaded all the time, I wouldnt expect over 12 mpg, probably less.
The two 6.7 Fords we have here at work average about 10 mpg loaded.
I believe tx270 is about right. 15 - 16 unloaded, but 11 - 12 pulling the trailer.
Why not get a Cummins? Most of their owners claim 23-25 MPGs! whistle
I don't own a Ford, but the DEF is cheap and lasts long enough that it is really a non-issue. Not that you asked, but if you really never leave the city, I would imagine a gasser would do everything you need at a lower expense.
Originally Posted by ppine
You can expect maybe around 14-15 mpg.

That'll be the city mileagle empty, no way you'll get that pulling a heavy trailer and that's likely the freeway mileage pulling a trailer. Then again a gas rig will be in the single digits with a heavy load in the city, and barely cracking double digits on the freeway pulling a heavy load.

Diesel mileage really suffers in city driving.
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Why not get a Cummins? Most of their owners claim 23-25 MPGs! whistle

LOL, I've heard the same thing from Duramax and Powerstroke owners too, but have yet to see any of them actually do it.
My guess in town + trailer is near single digit mileage up to 12 at best. Everyone goes off the DIC which is not always accurate, plus they tend to report the mileage they get while between regen cycles.
I know a fellow who believed he got 25 to 26 mpg with his Cummins w/ 6-speed manual... I think it's an '04, but it might be a couple years newer. He'd added a chip, cold air intake and bigger exhaust when it was pretty new. We made a trip together and I hand calculated his mileage at 21 and 19 for two tanks. He was heartbroken and took it back to where he bought it, where they supposedly found some problem and did some work re-calibrating the computer. We'll see.
My 2012 F-250 Super Crew King Ranch 4x4 6.7 Diesel gets 15 in town & 21mpg on the Hwy. That's unloaded, of course. I've really never checked my mileage when hauling a load, but it really seems to not use all that much more fuel loaded.

It will pull any damn thing you can hook on to it without ever straining the diesel.
I drove a 2011 with 55k miles for a couple days and it was getting 15-16 in town. I love the power and high ride. Helluva truck for sure� for only $60,000+ cry crazy BUT it'll do all that I need for work without a doubt. During Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, it'll get lots of play time in the woods.

For some reason when the leaves change color, work goes from 50 hrs a week to 20-25 hrs a week grin
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My 2012 F-250 Super Crew King Ranch 4x4 6.7 Diesel gets 15 in town & 21mpg on the Hwy. That's unloaded, of course. I've really never checked my mileage when hauling a load, but it really seems to not use all that much more fuel loaded.

It will pull any damn thing you can hook on to it without ever straining the diesel .

That's what I liked about having diesels (I've owned four since 1988). The Tundra that I own now will happily tow 10,000# any and all day, but it has to go into higher gears and higher rpm's to do it. Not a biggy, but when you've gotten used to the raw low end power of a diesel, it's hard to go back to gas.
Bought our first 3/4 ton diesel a year ago and absolutely love it. Several friends and acquaintances asked 'why do you need such a big truck'. I always answer with 'why not?'

Yeah, I'm not working it to death, but when I do pull a trailer it is almost fun. And it's hard to wipe the smile from my face when putting the hammer down and smoking the tires after tuning it. The extra room and ride height is all just an added bonus.
My uncle just bought a 2012 f250 and the computer is saying 14. My brother bought a 2010 dodge 2500 with a cummins and 6spd and he is getting 14 also. Kind of crappy if you ask me
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
My uncle just bought a 2012 f250 and the computer is saying 14. My brother bought a 2010 dodge 2500 with a cummins and 6spd and he is getting 14 also. Kind of crappy if you ask me

Oh, the cummins owner must not be computing his mileage correctly. Did he forget to "double it and subtract 4"?? wink
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Originally Posted by DeerTracker

Oh, the cummins owner must not be computing his mileage correctly. Did he forget to "double it and subtract 4"?? wink

Well, lets see. On my Memorial weekend trip to St. Augustine Fl, I drove 748 miles before refueling, yup, almost made it back home before the reserve light came on. Filled it to the brim and it took 32.3 gallons (34 gallon tank). My truck is a 2003 Ram 4X4 with a Cummins. How should I compute my mileage again? smile. Admittedly, I was in no rush, averaging speed limit all the way- 65-70 mph, with some 55 construction areas.
Never mind, I got it figured out. 42.3 mpg laugh
Now you've got it...the big number always goes first when on the internet. laugh
We just pulled a 7500 lb. (loaded) enclosed trailer 1000 miles behind a 09 Ram Cummins Auto. Truck and trailer were loaded.
Used almost exactly 100 gallons.
This ain't Georgia and it ain't flat here. grin

P.S. We done it several times actually....always 9-10 per.
I always laugh too.
I have three buddies with Cummins (mine is gas) they all talk about GREAT mileage.....til you ride with them.......just sayin'.
Originally Posted by wageslave
We just pulled a 7500 lb. (loaded) enclosed trailer 1000 miles behind a 09 Ram Cummins Auto. Truck and trailer were loaded.
Used almost exactly 100 gallons.
This ain't Georgia and it ain't flat here. grin

P.S. We done it several times actually....always 9-10 per.

I don't doubt that. The 06 and on trucks had all the emission crap on them that didn't do much for efficiency. I can pull my 27' camper (About 7200lb) and get 12-15 depending on speed and conditions.
Originally Posted by badger

I don't doubt that. The 06 and on trucks had all the emission crap on them that didn't do much for efficiency. I can pull my 27' camper (About 7200lb) and get 12-15 depending on speed and conditions.

Agreed.
His 05 and 07 to 09, just keep getting worse mileage as they get newer. He does no mods, cept a jake.
Fords may be better....I do not know.
DEF is cheap. I figured the cost out a while back and it adds about 2/10ths of a cent per mile of operation on my 2011 Dmax.

its really too tuff to say what kind of mileage to expect. it really just depends on what you do. my 2011 6,7 ford would probably be around 15 mpg in the city. if I run it at 70 mph constant down the freeway I am sure I could brake 20 mpg, but I never drive that slow, so running 80+ I am around 17 mpg. but if I am running winter fuel plan on about 1 mpg less.

speaking of cummins this ford gets better mileage than all but one of the dodges I have owned or driven and that was a single cab 2wd 93 model that would normally get at least 20mpg with some city and highway mixed. best was 23 mpg on a leg through the mountains on the way to texas, I would always get 23 on that part of the trip for some reason, happened several times. I have spent time driving 6 dodges either I owned or my dad. people claiming in excess of 20 mpg with a 4wd model are either keeping the speeds below 70 or they are lying and or don't know what they are talking about. the 07-13 dodges with 6.7 and no DEF system get terrible mileage honestly they aren't a whole lot better than a big block gasser that motor is chocked something terrible with EGR. dodge was to cheap to upgrade to DEF/SCR technolgy until now.
Cheesy,
I have similar experiences with people. They tell me my truck is overkill until they need something large towed somewhere, or we need to pull a trailer with four people, three dogs and a weeks worth of camping gear, or we look at mileage or longevity, or lots other things.
2013 F250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L diesel. All my driving is highway so not directly comparable. Highway at 65 - 70 unloaded runs 19-20 mpg. Highway towing 3 horse gooseneck with horses reliably 13 mpg. i hand calculate mileage tank filled to mouth of tank overflowing to mouth of tank filled to overflowing. I would not expect to do any better than 10-12 mpg city pulling loaded trailer. My 4th diesel pick up - best one yet if not most economical which was the first. Emission requirements on late model trucks has really hurt fuel economy.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

It will pull any damn thing you can hook on to it without ever straining the diesel.

Did you sell the F-150?
I can get 13 mpg pulling a 7,000 pound travel trailer in the mountains with a 7.3 liter Ford. It has a few mods.
My 2012 F-250 CC 4X4 gets 13-15 city depending on Regens, and 17-20 highway again depending on regens. I have seen 11-15 pulling my camper and other loads. The DEF runs around $11.00 to $16.00 for 2.5 gallons depends on were you buy it. There some Stations that have it at the pump but I have not seen it yet. I have put about 6 gallons of DEF in my truck over 14k miles.

Also this truck seems to be fuel sensitive so I try to get fuel at a Shell or EXXON station. The mpg dip down when the regen comes on for the exhaust filter but comes back up. I have noticed the regens are less often when the truck is loaded heavy.

I love my truck it pulls great. I had a 07 LBZ Duramax that I traded on a Tacoma then realized I had messed up. Then I got a 1/2 ton Chevy, then bought a camper now have a diesel again. I miss the Duramax and the Alli trans but this ford is a beast also. I got the Ford this time because it had more features for less money.

If you haven't owned a diesel before you're in for a treat but it does cost a little more to own and operate.

© 24hourcampfire