Home
My friend says they are only 1/2 ton.
I find that difficult to believe.
whelennut
I'd say its a 1/2 +P.

3/4 an 1 ton trucks are just heavier all the way around.
According to specs payload is 2,080 lbs.
GVWR is 7,000 lbs. Towing capacity is 10,500 lbs.
That's a lot of rice.
It's a 1/2 ton. Maybe a beefy 1/2 ton but a 1/2 ton nonetheless. How many lugs are on the wheels?
Originally Posted by K1500
It's a 1/2 ton. Maybe a beefy 1/2 ton but a 1/2 ton nonetheless. How many lugs are on the wheels?

I have owned two Tundras an 02 and an 06. They were both equal to a half ton but surely not in the the three quarter range. Am I remembering correctly that they had six lug wheels?
My Tacoma has 6 lugs, as do almost all 1/2 tons today. Doesn't mean anything. The 06 and older trucks were light duty 1/2 tons. Starting in 07 they are a much heavier duty truck. It just depends on which engine, transmission and gears you buy.

There are a lot of trucks sold as 1/2 ton's that can be equipped to tow more than many others sold as 3/4 ton trucks. The new Tundra's, if equipped right, falls into that category.
It's a 1/2 ton truck made to compete with the chevy 1500, ford F150, and ram 1500. Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton or 1 ton model, they decided to not compete in that market.

The big three's heavy duty pickups (3/4 ton and 1 tons) have certain attributes that the 1/2 tons don't have like heavier frames, bigger brakes, heavier suspensions, full floating axles, heavier transmissions, etc. It's not really about engine horsepower since often a 1/2 ton will have more horsepower than the more commercially oriented 3/4 or 1 tons.

The toyota tundra is a great pickup, the best 1/2 ton made in my opinion, but it's still a 1/2 ton and not built to be used like a 3/4 or 1 ton.
^this. 3/4 and 1 tons are about more than HP and bumper pull tow ratings. That being said, some of today's 1/2 tons can haul more weight and tow more than the 3/4 tons of 10-15 years ago.
We bought a pickup in '12. We did a lot of looking and thought long and hard about a Tundra longbed but finally declined strictly because they don't make a 3/4 and we needed more weight capacity. The Tundra could tow almost as much as most 3/4's, but the springs, bearings, etc. aren't up to as much weight in the bed.
and brakes and master cylinder and axles and sometimes cooling system and tranny coolers....
Check out the brakes on the Tundra... On the other components (suspension, etc.) they are not up to 3/4 or 1 ton standards, but on brakes I'd put 'em up against any 3/4 or 1 ton.

This is not from reading mags, etc. I currently have a F350, traded an '08 Tundra on it - went from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel. I did pull the travel trailer a few times with the F350 - was an improvement over the Tundra - but not night and day.
© 24hourcampfire