Home
Posted By: Terryk Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
I had the first belt done at 90K, and I have 160K now. Since the truck is 17 years old, (2001 4.7 Tundra), I was thinking of letting it go well beyond 180K. I think it is 1000 bucks to have it done with a water pump etc. The truck has a new frame, and tons of new parts, so it is in excellent condition.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
Its a non interference engine....I'm letting the wife's Camry do the same, run til it needs it...

we have other cars and she only drives 5 miles to work each day.

timing belts and water pumps on those aren't that hard to do...

and you should be able to have it down for a lot less than a grand...

only less you are talking dealer and their rates are thru the roof.

water pump, timing belt, and new serpentine belt should be $100 to 125. at your local NAPA
or AutoZone., or O'Reilly's.

Plenty of room in that engine bay
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
$1000 seems really high.I had my 2004 done last year for a little less than $400.There is a kit that includes the water pump, belt and all hoses.
Even if it is an noninterferring engine, if the pump goes, nasty things can happen with the fan and the radiator . At least on my 98 it did.

I treat it as a preventative maintenance thing. Letting it go until it fails can be a lot more costly than spending the money now, and proabaly a lot less inconveinent than having it fail out on the highway
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
My dealer charges ~750.00 - 800.00 with the water pump. He gives me a loaner car and it is done the same day.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
What is the mfg reco'd interval?
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
leave it alone... I didn't change my Land Cruiser until 220k
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
What is the mfg reco'd interval?

90K on 3rd gen 4-runners. Don't know about later models.
Posted By: Teal Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
I've had 2 Tacos - combined mileage about 400k. Never touched a water pump or timing belt once.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/18/17
Some Toyota engines are the interference type. If you break a timing belt, the pistons will hit the open valves and do some tremendous damage. If you have one, change the belts on their recommended interval. Taking a chance and losing could cost you BIG.

this list tells you which are which. Here's the link to the list which covers other makes, too. INTERFERENCE ENGINES

Toyota

1.5L (1A-C, 3A-C & 3E) Interference
• 1.5L (3E-E & 5E-FE) Non-Interference
• 1.6L DOHC (4A-F & 4A-FE) Non-Interference
• 1.6L DOHC (4A-GE & 4A-GZE) Non-Interference
• 1.6L SOHC Non-Interference
• 1.8L Diesel Interference
• 1.8L DOHC Gasoline Interference
1.8L 7AFE, 4AFE, 4AF – Non Interference
• 2.0L Non-Interference
• 2.2L Diesel Interference
• 2.2L Gasoline Non-Interference
• 2.4L Diesel Interference
• 2.5L Non-Interference
• 2.8L Non-Interference
• 3.0L Inline 6 (Except 1998 2JZ-GE) Non-Interference
• 3.0L Inline 6 VVT-i (1998 2JZ-GE) Interference
• 3.0L V6 Non-Interference
• 3.3L 3MZ-FE V6 W/ V VTi – Interference
• 3.4L Non-Interference
* 3.5L V-6 Non-Interference
• 4.7L Interference
Posted By: BLG Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/25/17
Originally Posted by Terryk
I had the first belt done at 90K, and I have 160K now. Since the truck is 17 years old, (2001 4.7 Tundra), I was thinking of letting it go well beyond 180K. I think it is 1000 bucks to have it done with a water pump etc. The truck has a new frame, and tons of new parts, so it is in excellent condition.

You might want to MAKE SURE your engine isn't an interference engine. My buddy, who is ironically a mechanic, blew up his 2006 or 2007 with the 4.7 when the timing belt broke whilst on the highway. It had right at 90,000 miles and was discussing with his wife he needed to change it the following weekend. When the belt broke, it took out 4 of the pistons along with 5 or 6 valve. I would not wait.

Clyde
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Toyota timing belt? - 08/31/17
The 4.7 liter 2uz-fe engine is an interference engine. All my belts have looked good when they've been changed at 90,000 but it's a risk to let them go. I change mine every 90k
© 24hourcampfire