Home
Posted By: Hiaring8 My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/20/18
After much discussion with the wife, finally agreed we needed to consolidate a bit which has lead to my new hunting rig. I owned a 2017 Ram Cummins for my tow rig as well as a 2013 Tacoma as my run around rig, however two truck and insurance payments were just too much - especially considering my ram sits in the garage 95% of the time.

So I worked a deal with the local Toyota dealer and have now gone from those two trucks, to this 2018 Tundra DC 5.7 w/ 4.30 gears. Final trade in on my 2 trucks was fair, final price on the Tundra was very good, and I got them to included a spray in bed liner and nerf bars that I have to take back in to have installed. Also comes with Toyota's 24 month free oil change plan.

Truck itself has the TRD package (which is awesome if for no other reason than the nice wheels, bilstien shocks, and michelin tires) Also has the SR5 upgrade package option which includes front bucket seats, power seats, and best of all a 38 gallon fuel tank. The 5.7 engine has some serious power and it rides very nice. In all its a very nice truck that I am very happy about.

Our travel trailer that we camp and hunt with, is 30' long and loaded is 7k pounds/850 ish tounge, and we towed it less than 6-7 times a year, so while the diesel was nice, it really wasn't needed. This truck will do everything we need from it on the towing/hauling end as its rated at 1600 payload and 10k towing. Time will tell, but I think it will serve me just fine in the mountains.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/20/18
Congratulations! I know that you're going to like it!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/21/18

Toyota builds a great truck.......the TRD pkg is awesome...

110 outlet in bed like Tacoma TRD ?

I'd have to have aftermarket tires & wheels though..... crazy
Looking to go a similar route.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/21/18
Have the same version from 2015. Love it. If it had the 38 gal tank I'd really love it. Got some nice Toyo tires on mine and upgrading suspension this summer. Great trucks from Texas.
Great units.. We bought a 2016 similar to yours.. It is our travel truck for long trips.. Have a 2012 for pulling the trailer and hunting in the west.. Also have an 84 and 85 I bought new.. Use the for short hunts near home.. Great trucks..
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/21/18
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Toyota builds a great truck.......the TRD pkg is awesome...

110 outlet in bed like Tacoma TRD ?

I'd have to have aftermarket tires & wheels though..... crazy

This does not have that 110 outlet. I am actually a fan of the wheels. The tires are fine, I just wish they weren't the P Rated 4 ply version. I may have to look at a good 8-10 ply at tire come October hunting season, but I plan to run these michelins at minimum up to that point.

Only other mod I plan to do is add Hellwig helpers in the back just to prevent any towing sag. Other than that, DRIVE THE HECK out of it.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/21/18
I have exact same truck but a 2017. Replaced OEM tires with Defender LTX M/S and they are nice. Mileage went up too!

Love the power.

check out these Falkin AT tires when ready

highly rated & reasonable........

many sizes & load ratings

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeak/t3w-tire

[Linked Image]

you reading pleasure

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/tundras.144/
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
When it comes tire time, It will probably be BFG KO2's - love those tires and always had good luck with them.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
I loved everything about mine except the 16mpg hwy mileage, and 13.5 city. They need to offer another rear-end choice IMO.
Nice truck .
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
Looks a lot like my next truck.
Nice. I have the same truck ('18 silver double cab) except mine's not the TRD. I'm looking for those TRD wheels right now. I love my truck so far.

Originally Posted by Hiaring8
When it comes tire time, It will probably be BFG KO2's - love those tires and always had good luck with them.
Originally Posted by WTM45
I have exact same truck but a 2017. Replaced OEM tires with Defender LTX M/S and they are nice. Mileage went up too!

I have narrowed it down to these two tires.
WTM, what size Defender LTX did you put on and are they LT or P series?
Thanks,
Do the mirrors extend for towing? Nice truck. If I didn't have two gooseneck tailers, I'd consider one.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
Originally Posted by slip_sinker

WTM, what size Defender LTX did you put on and are they LT or P series?
Thanks,

P series, 275/65R18 Great ride, quiet, good grip in snow and mud and do not load up.
Thanks. I'm leaning toward 275/70R18 and those only come in LT E rated. Fine with me since I'll be towing a camper.
With 4.30 gears, what is the engine rpm at 70 mph? Is that the only rear end ratio available?
Posted By: Heeler Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
The 4:30 is the only option with the 5.7L My '15 runs between 1700-2000 RPM going 70-80 MPH.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
I haven't drove my truck on the freeway yet, but I think 4:30 gears are AWESOME. You don't buy a 5.7 tundra for gas milage, so might as well beef up the gears for towing. Not that I will be doing it, but even at 10k pounds, I feel the tow rating on these trucks could be quite a bit more. The ram CC 4X4 5.7 with 3.92 gears is rated at 10,300...with the 4.30 of the toyota, I would think 11k tow rating would be more in line.

As far as the mirrors go - no they don't extend. However you can pick up power extendend able tow mirrors that are plug and play. I saw a set online today for $250. Kind of look like Ford's SD mirrors.

When I buy tires, they will for sure be E rated to help with towing as well as better side puncture resistance as the BFG has a 3 ply side wall.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/22/18
Yep, blew out two of the factory tires on cattle guards and rocks. Went to 10 ply Toyos and have been good since.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
Nice truck. I plow one of my parents neighbors driveways, he's on his second Tundra. Both have had the 5.7L. The one he has now is loaded, it's really nice. Not sure if it has the tow pkg. w/4.30 gears or not.

Personally I don't fear the gear. When I bought my new 2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi, I passed on a lot of them with 3.73's until I found one with the options I needed with 4.10 gears. I would have went with 4.30 or 4.56 gears if they were available.

NYH1.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
I currently have a 2015 Tundra. Love it. It's actually my 5th Tundra. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: sigguy Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18

.....When I buy tires, they will for sure be E rated to help with towing as well as better side puncture resistance as the BFG has a 3 ply side wall.

That's a great looking new Tundra.

I agree about the beefier tires. Sometimes with heavy loads my stock P series Bridgestones were tossing chunks of rubber! I got a separate set of LT rated Goodyear Duratracs in the stock size, and no problems whatsoever since. You'll take a handing/braking/mileage/ride hit, but if you need the capacity it's worth the cost. I mount up P series rubber for the summer for road trips and light towing.

My Tundra is just turning 10 years old, and going strong.

Good luck!
Posted By: rnovi Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
I'm on my second Tundra - I just couldn't withstand the allure of the 1794...and a 38 GALLON fuel tank!

I'm at 43,000 miles on my '16 Tundra and they've been the easiest 43,000 miles I've ever put on a vehicle. It's hard to argue with the Tundra - it's a workhorse that just works. It's my hope to break 500k on this beast.

And for anyone who remotely asks the question is the bigger tank worth it?

Hell.

Yes.

It sure is.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18

Have two sets of BFG AT KO2's in use now......265-75x16 E rated

'02 Chev 2500 HD crew & '05 Taco SBDC.....

work great for Chev....just a bit heavy for the 4.0L Taco

went with Cooper AT'3's same size......just SL rated.......40# each

went on my new to me '14 Taco SBDC.....don't overlook Cooper E rated AT tires

Hwy super quiet & nice ride......Discount Tire Direct are the tire guys

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 79S Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
Those tundras are a sharp looking truck! Sadly they will never put a diesel in one.
I really wanted the 38 gallon tank but I actually prefer the bench seat/column shifter to the buckets/console shifter.
I have a couple small kids and when we hit the dirt roads they like to be up front with me.
It also allows me and my son to sleep in the cab, one on each row, on quick camping/hunting trips.
Crazy, I know, but it was also cheaper than the upgrade package that includes the 38 gal tank.
Posted By: Judman Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
Great choice, damn nice trucks
Posted By: ajmorell Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
Extended range fuel tanks are awesome. My F-150 has a 36 gal, love going 2 weeks between fill ups.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
My Ram has a 32 gal. fuel tank. If a larger fuel tank was available I would've opted for it.

I've always been a Dodge/Ram and to a lesser extent a GM truck guy. However, in 2015 when I was looking at 3/4 ton trucks to plow and tow with, I looked at all available brands. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton truck I would've looked at them as well. Their 1/2 ton seem nice.

NYH1.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18
I love the bucket seats with floor shifter as I drove a 5 speed tacoma for many years and its forever engrained in my DNA to reach down and hold the shifter as it was a 5 speed...lol

With the 38 gallon fuel tank...heck even 9-10 MPG towing will get me to any of my in-state camping/hunting destinations with fuel to spare.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/23/18

oh how we all hope gasoline stays at the current level..........

$2.38 for me yesterday........85 oct
Posted By: hillbill Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18
Had a Tundra since 07, 0 issues, the only things I have done to it were plugs, rotors, brakes and tires. I'm at 130,000 now.
Yes the mileage could be better compared to the new offerings out there but I can buy a lot of gas for a fraction of what I would have to pony up for a new truck.

If I could only do 1 mod other than tires it would be a locker for the rear, the traction control stuff sucks
I wish they had a locker too but you can turn TRAC and VSC off.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18
Can't you guys get aftermarket lockers like a Detroit Locker or an air/electric locker for your Tundra's?

NYH1.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18
Got a 2011 Tundra equipped just like yours. Only complaint is the 26 gallon tank. Currently running Cooper AT's.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18
Originally Posted by NYH1
Can't you guys get aftermarket lockers like a Detroit Locker or an air/electric locker for your Tundra's?

NYH1.

Auburn makes a limited slip. ARB makes a air locker.
Posted By: tzone Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18

If you haven't had the KO2's yet....I'd avoid them like the plague! I have them on my 14 Ram 1500. I've had BFG all terrains on every truck since I was a kid. As far as I'm concerned, the KO2's suck ass. They're not good on wet roads, they're not very good in mud, and they're average at best in snow. They're decent in sand and gravel roads.

The goodyear wrangler SRA's that came from the factory were better in mud and snow...and I'm not kidding.
Posted By: byd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/24/18
I have a 2016 Tundra TRD 5.7 SR5 38 gallon tank, got it knowing the mileage would not be the best. It's been awesome so far.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/25/18
Anyone put a set of King shocks and springs on their's? Looks like a huge upgrade over factory and on my list of things to do to mine.
Posted By: badger Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by 30338
Anyone put a set of King shocks and springs on their's? Looks like a huge upgrade over factory and on my list of things to do to mine.

I have Kings on my Ram. They are in a league of their own. Should be great on a Tundra. Had Bilsteins, Rancho 9000's and Fox 2.0's in the same truck. None come close.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/25/18
Good to hear on the Kings. That upgrade is coming soon on mine.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/25/18

just an FYI........this online store will offer very good Toyota suspension products

free ship/no tax.....fast service......Tundra products also

just ordered new Bilstein 5100's for our '05 Taco......shipped same day as ordered

https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/c49/Tacoma_2005-2015_Product.html
4 years ago we were truck shopping and a local dealer had a new Tundra long bed, which we needed. We'd have bought it if it had been a 3/4 ton. The dealer said that it was a 3/4 except for the springs but with 6 bolt hubs, that was hard to believe. I needed a real 3/4 and Tundra has never made one.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/25/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
4 years ago we were truck shopping and a local dealer had a new Tundra long bed, which we needed. We'd have bought it if it had been a 3/4 ton. The dealer said that it was a 3/4 except for the springs but with 6 bolt hubs, that was hard to believe. I needed a real 3/4 and Tundra has never made one.

I was in the same boat. I knew not to look at Tundra's because of their spec's. The Tundra is more then capable 1/2 ton for sure and a great one at that. Like you, I needed a 3/4 ton.

NYH1.
I ended up with a Dodge 2500. It's actually a 1 ton with lighter springs. If you look up the parts for the 2500 & 3500, bearings, brakes, axles, U-joints, etc., they're all the same. The Tundra might be more or less rated as 3/4 but there's nothing to compare it to.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/26/18
I ended up with a Dodge 2500. It's actually a 1 ton with lighter springs. If you look up the parts for the 2500 & 3500, bearings, brakes, axles, U-joints, etc., they're all the same. The Tundra might be more or less rated as 3/4 but there's nothing to compare it to.

I also went with a Ram 2500, a 2015.

The Tundra's not rated as a 3/4 ton, it's rated as a 1/2 ton.

NYH1.
It's not be rated as a 3/4, but I've had 2 different salesmen try to sell it as one. They wouldn't be stretching things, would they?
It's not be rated as a 3/4, but I've had 2 different salesmen try to sell it as one. They wouldn't be stretching things, would they?

Naw, a dishonest salesman.

Like I said, in my opinion the Tundra is a really good truck for it's intended use. Arguably at the top of it's class. If Toyota was to really get into the 3/4-1 ton truck market they'd probably make a good truck.

NYH1.
The Tundra's a great 1/2 ton and will do an excellent job. However, there's a huge market for 3/4 tons and some dealers are trying to tap into it with pickups that aren't designed for the job. I've been told that it's a 3/4 except for the springs but I've never seen a 3/4 with 6 bolt hubs.
The Tundra's a great 1/2 ton and will do an excellent job. However, there's a huge market for 3/4 tons and some dealers are trying to tap into it with pickups that aren't designed for the job. I've been told that it's a 3/4 except for the springs but I've never seen a 3/4 with 6 bolt hubs.

They put a 10.5" Dana/Spicer rear end in the Tundra's with their max tow pkg., that's a stout rear end. Ford 3/4 and 1 ton's use Dana 70's 10.5" in gas trucks (some diesels). Dana 80's 11.5" in diesels for the most part. GM and Dodge used to use these as well. GM used to use their 14 both 10.5" as well. GM and Ram switched to AAM 10.5" gas and some diesels and 11.5" diesels (8.1L v8 and v10 gassers). In 2014 Ram started putting AAM 11.5" in all their 3/4 and 1 tons both gas and diesels. 11.8" in HO CTD DRW.

Tundra uses what they call a IFS 9" front diff, but it's a 8.7". Ford uses a Dana 60 9.75". GM and Ram use AAM 9.25" front diff's.

So 3/4 and 1 ton's have larger front and rear axle's/diff's. I'm not up on Toyota's t-cases and transmissions. I have every reason to believe they are well made for their intended purpose.

If you look at GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, payload, towing numbers, you'll really see the differences. If you're gonna hang a 1,000 lbs. plow on the front, put 3,500 lbs. in the box or tow 15,000 lbs. you have to get a truck that was made to do that. One, so the truck will be able to handle it, Two, so you're good to go legally. Get in an accident while you're over weight and that's a real mess.

Again, not crapping on the Tundra at all. Very good truck for it's intended purpose.

NYH1.
Originally Posted by badger
I have Kings on my Ram. They are in a league of their own. Should be great on a Tundra. Had Bilsteins, Rancho 9000's and Fox 2.0's in the same truck. None come close.
Did you have the Bilstein 5100 shocks only, or the 6112s with Bilstein coils?
Posted By: badger Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/26/18
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Originally Posted by badger
Did you have the Bilstein 5100 shocks only, or the 6112s with Bilstein coils?

5100’s.
After much discussion with the wife, finally agreed we needed to consolidate a bit which has lead to my new hunting rig. I owned a 2017 Ram Cummins for my tow rig as well as a 2013 Tacoma as my run around rig, however two truck and insurance payments were just too much - especially considering my ram sits in the garage 95% of the time.

So I worked a deal with the local Toyota dealer and have now gone from those two trucks, to this 2018 Tundra DC 5.7 w/ 4.30 gears. Final trade in on my 2 trucks was fair, final price on the Tundra was very good, and I got them to included a spray in bed liner and nerf bars that I have to take back in to have installed. Also comes with Toyota's 24 month free oil change plan.

Truck itself has the TRD package (which is awesome if for no other reason than the nice wheels, bilstien shocks, and michelin tires) Also has the SR5 upgrade package option which includes front bucket seats, power seats, and best of all a 38 gallon fuel tank. The 5.7 engine has some serious power and it rides very nice. In all its a very nice truck that I am very happy about.

Our travel trailer that we camp and hunt with, is 30' long and loaded is 7k pounds/850 ish tounge, and we towed it less than 6-7 times a year, so while the diesel was nice, it really wasn't needed. This truck will do everything we need from it on the towing/hauling end as its rated at 1600 payload and 10k towing. Time will tell, but I think it will serve me just fine in the mountains.

[Linked Image]

Looks exactly like my 2017 but I have the crewcab, same color everything
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 01/27/18
Great trucks with the worst fuel mileage. At least they finally put a bigger fuel tank in em a few years ago.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/07/18
Congrats on the Tundra.

My white hippo is a 2017, and I love it. Factory Michelins sucked though. Lots of sidewall flex while cornering on pavement, and they are about as tough as a bicycle tire. Been using Toyo M-55 and R/T in the past for gravel and stone drilling protection, but went Nitto EXO for the Tundra. Supposedly the same carcass as the Toyo (sister company), snowflake rating (traction device, not the liberal type), and less money. They definitely have less vibration than the M-55, and are actually heavier than the M-55, KO2, and other similar tires with like tread depth. No proof, but redneck logic tells me that they have more something. I drive fast on gravel and the suspension and tires are doing well. Minimal cuts in the tread.

My only wish right now is the cone clutch for the rearend. That and a bigger tank... I got the small one since I wanted the bench seat and not the buckets with bigger tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/08/18
4_th point do you have the 5.7 liter engine
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/08/18
Yep, 5.7 in mine.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/09/18
1000 miles in on my new truck and overall fuel average is 15.8 mpg.....for an overbuilt half ton with a 5.7l 381 hp engine with 4.30 gears (AWESOME) I am not complaining one bit. A lot of people are drawn to the higher MPG in some of these new half ton trucks that run 3.21, 3.43, 3.55 gears - that's great if you don't tow, but when you hook up 7-8k of trailer - those 4.30's flat rock. The 38 gallon tank is sure nice as well. To my mind, the tundra is a 3/4 ton gas truck in every category except payload.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/09/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Congrats on the Tundra.

My white hippo is a 2017, and I love it. Factory Michelins sucked though. Lots of sidewall flex while cornering on pavement, and they are about as tough as a bicycle tire. Been using Toyo M-55 and R/T in the past for gravel and stone drilling protection, but went Nitto EXO for the Tundra. Supposedly the same carcass as the Toyo (sister company), snowflake rating (traction device, not the liberal type), and less money. They definitely have less vibration than the M-55, and are actually heavier than the M-55, KO2, and other similar tires with like tread depth. No proof, but redneck logic tells me that they have more something. I drive fast on gravel and the suspension and tires are doing well. Minimal cuts in the tread.

My only wish right now is the cone clutch for the rearend. That and a bigger tank... I got the small one since I wanted the bench seat and not the buckets with bigger tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are those 275/70/18's which are 33.2"? Any rubbing at all over the stock 32" tires?
I don't know about the Tundra, but some new pickups don't have enough clearance under the front fenders to use tire chains. If you drive where they're needed, you'd better check it out.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/10/18
Congrats on the Tundra.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Are those 275/70/18's which are 33.2"? Any rubbing at all over the stock 32" tires?

I have TOYO ATIIs in that size on my 2016. No problems with any clearance issues.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/10/18

Negative. I went 275/65-18, which are ~32". I considered those 33" tires, but decided against it and will explain in the next post.

Also, not to burst your bubble but the axle ratio is only one factor in the equation, literally. You have to consider the transmission and transfer case ratios. For example, the Tundra has a low ratio for the axle, but taller ratios for the tranny compared to other trucks. And crawl ratios between the different makes are similar, even with different axle ratios.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/10/18
I don't know about the Tundra, but some new pickups don't have enough clearance under the front fenders to use tire chains. If you drive where they're needed, you'd better check it out.

Good point RC.

The fender wells have plenty of clearance. On this generation of Tundra, the clearance issue seems to be the upper A-arm and sidewall. The owner's manual says to use chains only on the rear. However, I use chains on all four tires.

With 275/65-18 tires I have just enough room for SCC cables. I've had awesome luck with their cable chains on multiple vehicles, but admit that there are times when I'd prefer to use V-bar chains. No problem on the rear, but the front would be an issue.

If I went 275/70-18, I think the sidewall bulge would be closer to the upper A-arm which would decrease clearance further. I could be wrong though. Maybe they'd fit better.

...not to burst your bubble but the axle ratio is only one factor in the equation, literally. You have to consider the transmission and transfer case ratios. For example, the Tundra has a low ratio for the axle, but taller ratios for the tranny compared to other trucks. And crawl ratios between the different makes are similar, even with different axle ratios.

Absolutely true. A lot of folks get hung up on the 4.30 rear end but it doesn't mean a thing until you know what the transmission gears are you're pairing it with.

The Tundra's also not a 3/4 ton no matter what anyone wants to make it out to be. I've got a 16 tundra and a real 3/4 ton, a 99 dodge 2500 diesel, and as much as I love the tundra it doesn't compare to the dodge when you're looking to haul something or tow something. It's a half ton grocery getter like all the rest, it just doesn't break down like the others do.

Good point RC.

The fender wells have plenty of clearance. On this generation of Tundra, the clearance issue seems to be the upper A-arm and sidewall. The owner's manual says to use chains only on the rear. However, I use chains on all four tires.

With 275/65-18 tires I have just enough room for SCC cables. I've had awesome luck with their cable chains on multiple vehicles, but admit that there are times when I'd prefer to use V-bar chains. No problem on the rear, but the front would be an issue.

If I went 275/70-18, I think the sidewall bulge would be closer to the upper A-arm which would decrease clearance further. I could be wrong though. Maybe they'd fit better.
My Dodge says to use only the small S size of chains on the front. The stock tires were 265-70-17. I'm running 245-75-17. They're the same height and load capacity but almost 2" narrower. They leave room for any chains I want to put on it. I think they handle better than the wider one's, too.

NYH1.

Also can get a Harrop elocker for the Tundra, which is the way I would go.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/10/18
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

...not to burst your bubble but the axle ratio is only one factor in the equation, literally. You have to consider the transmission and transfer case ratios. For example, the Tundra has a low ratio for the axle, but taller ratios for the tranny compared to other trucks. And crawl ratios between the different makes are similar, even with different axle ratios.

Absolutely true. A lot of folks get hung up on the 4.30 rear end but it doesn't mean a thing until you know what the transmission gears are you're pairing it with.

The Tundra's also not a 3/4 ton no matter what anyone wants to make it out to be. I've got a 16 tundra and a real 3/4 ton, a 99 dodge 2500 diesel, and as much as I love the tundra it doesn't compare to the dodge when you're looking to haul something or tow something. It's a half ton grocery getter like all the rest, it just doesn't break down like the others do.

That's all true, but there's no denying in real world driving you'll get 13mpg/ 17mpg if you're lucky, at least that's what my super crew 4x4 got over 80k miles. Not having an option on rear end is senseless IMO. Mine was not trouble free though. I had some sort of cold start valve/sensor go bad, and continuous problems with the navigation and sound system. It would reset itself for no apparent reason, go off and on, etc.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/10/18
1000 miles in on my new truck and overall fuel average is 15.8 mpg.....for an overbuilt half ton with a 5.7l 381 hp engine with 4.30 gears (AWESOME) I am not complaining one bit. A lot of people are drawn to the higher MPG in some of these new half ton trucks that run 3.21, 3.43, 3.55 gears - that's great if you don't tow, but when you hook up 7-8k of trailer - those 4.30's flat rock. The 38 gallon tank is sure nice as well. To my mind, the tundra is a 3/4 ton gas truck in every category except payload.

I know you are liking your new truck and don’t mean to be the negative nelly here but just to put your beast mode assessment of the overbuilt Tundra into perspective you might want to watch some of the Ike Gauntlet tests done on all the half tons towing 9000 lbs. The Tundra came in last! Even the Nissan Titan beat it in time and fuel mileage. The guys even commented how much more the ass end of the Tundra sagged when hooking the trailer up to it. Better fuel mileage can be had with most newer half tons made today as well as significantly better performance both towing and empty. The Tundra was a beast in 2007 but not so much today. FWIW........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFg6eDuZ85E. Tundra

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_z4isefQedA F150

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SsujrWpqngw Titan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0f674yOdPcg Ram 1500

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8S83AYKsU Chevy 1500

The Tundra could use a taller rear end ratio but it’s still not revving very high while cruising at 70 because of the tall 6th gear. I think most of the reason for the bad fuel economy is the engine’s just inefficient. The 5.7 still uses single point throttle body style fuel injection instead of multipoint like most vehicles today. The Camry for 2018 had an EPA mileage jump from 32 hwy to 39 by incorporating direct injection, hopefully something like that is in the works for the Tundra. I think there’s some kind of new fuel economy requirements coming up so maybe that’ll kick them in the ass to fix it.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/11/18

Agreed. I love my 2016 Tundra- you couldn't give me any other 1/2 ton- but my 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD is much better for towing heavy trailers. No comparison. Two different tools, for different jobs.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/11/18
Same here... love my 2017 Tundra, but if I was towing anything heavy I'd be driving a 3/4-ton or 1-ton diesel.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

I know you are liking your new truck and don’t mean to be the negative nelly here but just to put your beast mode assessment of the overbuilt Tundra into perspective you might want to watch some of the Ike Gauntlet tests done on all the half tons towing 9000 lbs. The Tundra came in last! Even the Nissan Titan beat it in time and fuel mileage. The guys even commented how much more the ass end of the Tundra sagged when hooking the trailer up to it. Better fuel mileage can be had with most newer half tons made today as well as significantly better performance both towing and empty. The Tundra was a beast in 2007 but not so much today. FWIW........

Only Fullsize truck recommended by Consumer Reports. Good Luck with your F150 you will need it, Negative Nelly LMFAO you are all of that and more.
The Tundra could use a taller rear end ratio but it’s still not revving very high while cruising at 70 because of the tall 6th gear. I think most of the reason for the bad fuel economy is the engine’s just inefficient. The 5.7 still uses single point throttle body style fuel injection instead of multipoint like most vehicles today. The Camry for 2018 had an EPA mileage jump from 32 hwy to 39 by incorporating direct injection, hopefully something like that is in the works for the Tundra. I think there’s some kind of new fuel economy requirements coming up so maybe that’ll kick them in the ass to fix it.

Tundras have multiport, they could end up going to Direct Injection but then you have carbon buildup issues like the Fraud Ecoburst engine which ended up going to a combo of multiport and direct injection in the 2017 F150 Ecoburst.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/12/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Only Fullsize truck recommended by Consumer Reports. Good Luck with your F150 you will need it, Negative Nelly LMFAO you are all of that and more.

Jeez a little sensitive are we?

Trying to understand why someone would throw in some negative posts after a Guy just purchased a new Tundra.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/13/18

Trying to understand why someone would throw in some negative posts after a Guy just purchased a new Tundra.

There's always somebody around waiting to piss on a parade
Posted By: broomd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/13/18
Great trucks with the worst fuel mileage. At least they finally put a bigger fuel tank in em a few years ago.

I disliked the huge console between the bucket seats with my sr5, so I'd want a bench seat. And I'd have to have the 38 gallon tank given the pathetic mileage.
So, it appears according to this thread that the bench seat isn't available with the sr5 and larger fuel tank?

Congrats to the OP, beautiful ride...
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/13/18
The Tundra may be a little outdated but IMO, it offers the best chance of reliability in the 1/2 ton truck market. I actually think 1/2 ton trucks and SUV's as a whole are some of the better built vehicles around today. They seem to hold up really well and can do so for a pretty good while.

What I find interesting is the Tundra is approximately a 15 year old design...I'd guess. However, it still compares well to the newer offerings from Ford, Chevy, and Ram. It certainly could use some updates though. I'm sure an 8 or 10 speed transmission could bump the mileage up, different rear end gearing options, and some minor engine modifications could raise the power and efficiency of the 5.7L in the Tundra all the while maintaining reliability.

I'd also like to see Toyota offer a diesel in a 1/2 ton and I'd like to see them jump into the 3/4 and 1 ton market as well. However, I'm not sure they will ever jump in that market. IMO, they know the loyalty and the solid base that Ford , GM, and Ram have in regards to heavy duty trucks in the USA. Don't think they will ever make that jump.
A Toyota dealer told me that Toyota has no interest in the heavy pickup market. They're after a bigger share of suburbia. He said it's high unlikely that we'll ever see a 3/4 ton Tundra.
A Toyota dealer told me that Toyota has no interest in the heavy pickup market. They're after a bigger share of suburbia. He said it's high unlikely that we'll ever see a 3/4 ton Tundra.

^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^ . They only sell 100k a year and are perfectly content
Posted By: WTM45 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/13/18
I don't see 16mpg as being "pathetic" having owned 4x4 trucks for many years. Heck, at one time 8mpg was considered good by me.

The Tundra is not a commuter vehicle, that's true. Unless you want to buy fuel.
But for a solid and reliable 4x4 pickup with a very good track record for durability and maintenance it rises to a top contender in the 1/2 ton class.

I love mine. It has fewer bells and whistles than the Chevy 2014 1500 Z71 I bought new and traded, but does not puff stanky burnt synthetic oil either!
I don't see 16mpg as being "pathetic" having owned 4x4 trucks for many years. Heck, at one time 8mpg was considered good by me.

The Tundra is not a commuter vehicle, that's true. Unless you want to buy fuel.
But for a solid and reliable 4x4 pickup with a very good track record for durability and maintenance it rises to a top contender in the 1/2 ton class.

I love mine. It has fewer bells and whistles than the Chevy 2014 1500 Z71 I bought new and traded, but does not puff stanky burnt synthetic oil either!

My brothers Z71 5.3 gets no better then 15.5. I get 17.5 as an average with mine(more highway then city ) , considering my last tacoma got maybe 2 miles per gallon better I will take that and its' reliablity any day of the week
Posted By: broomd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18
In 2018 there is no reason that a modern v8 shouldn't get 20mpg on the road. Sixteen mpg on the road is pathetic, and I am a Toyota and Lexus guy.

You say 'to MAY to', I say 'to MAH to'.....
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18
Originally Posted by broomd
In 2018 there is no reason that a modern v8 shouldn't get 20mpg on the road. Sixteen mpg on the road is pathetic, and I am a Toyota and Lexus guy.

Depends on the vehicle. Aren't any 3/4 or 1 ton gasser getting 20 mpg on the road with their modern V8's.

NYH1.
Posted By: broomd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18

Depends on the vehicle. Aren't any 3/4 or 1 ton gasser getting 20 mpg on the road with their modern V8's.

NYH1.

Agreed on that point, I'm referring to a 1/2 ton.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18
Wanting a 25% increase in mpg comes with concessions.

Honda Ridgeline. There's a working truck! Hahahaha!

NYH1.

Agreed on that point, I'm referring to a 1/2 ton.

Ok, gotcha.

NYH1.

Now see, you referring to a Ridgeline as a truck in any manor is an insult to trucks on an epic proportion....it's just not nice! wink

NYH1.
Ridgeline? It'll haul golf clubs, bikes, and all the groceries you can cram in. It does what it's designed to do. I've never seen it advertised as a working truck.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18

Now see, you referring to a Ridgeline as a truck in any manor is an insult to trucks on an epic proportion....it's just not nice! wink

NYH1.

"But...but...but! It gets 20 mpg!"

Hahahahahaha! smile

What V8 1/2 ton gets 20mpg? Certainly not a Ford, chebby or Dodge. I get better then 16 driving to work every day 50/50 city highway. I have gotten 19.5 at one point driving to Florida. I don't drive 65MPH either, I bet if I did it would get 19.5 on a long trip.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/14/18
I just did a 300 mile round-trip on the freeway for work and averaged 18.9 miles per gallon in my new tundra. I’ll take that.
I just did a 300 mile round-trip on the freeway for work and averaged 18.9 miles per gallon in my new tundra. I’ll take that.

Awesome, glad you like it! smile

NYH1.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18
I disliked the huge console between the bucket seats with my sr5, so I'd want a bench seat. And I'd have to have the 38 gallon tank given the pathetic mileage.
So, it appears according to this thread that the bench seat isn't available with the sr5 and larger fuel tank?

Same here, I wanted the bench. In 2017, you got the 26 gallon tank with the SR5 with bench. With the SR5 Upgrade, you got the buckets/console, fancy rearview mirror, and maybe some other stuff along with the 38 gallon tank.

For 2018, I think you'd better check out the Toyota website or call a dealer since things may have changed.

On a trip to Goose Lake, CA I got 18 - 20 MPG on the open road (no stop-n-go), according to the dash display. My calcs were the same, based on gallons filled and miles. Over Willamette Pass I got 18 MPG for 10 gallons, that's up the pass and back down, with some heavy throttle grin

On flat ground, I was 19 - 20 MPG.

I've got the 5.7 liter and 4x4.
My brothers Z71 5.3 gets no better then 15.5. I get 17.5 as an average with mine(more highway then city ) , considering my last tacoma got maybe 2 miles per gallon better I will take that and its' reliablity any day of the week

I have a coworker with a 4x4 Z71 5.3 and cylinder deactivation. He asked what MPG I get commuting, and I said 15 -16 MPG. He said he doesn't get much better at 16 - 17 MPG. We have a similar commute and he drives less aggressively. I don't think the Tundra is as bad as people think, comparing similar vehicles but his truck is a little older (2012), and not the latest.

I believe the newest 1/2 tons with 10-speed trannies "can" get better mileage than a Tundra if driven lightly, especially with cylinder deactivation. However, if you drive aggressively (which is simply keeping up with the flow of traffic in some places) then all the trucks will have similar power requirements and efficiencies. They won't be in tall gears or deactivating any cylinders. In other words, the "work" done is the same since they all weight about the same. They all start sucking gas.

I have seen this with different vehicle in my job. If they weigh the same, have similar engines, similar trannies, etc. then guess what? Under load, they have the same power needs and energy efficiency. Can't get around it unless loads are light and more efficient powertrains and drivetrains are used.
Posted By: broomd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18

What V8 1/2 ton gets 20mpg? Certainly not a Ford, chebby or Dodge. I get better then 16 driving to work every day 50/50 city highway. I have gotten 19.5 at one point driving to Florida. I don't drive 65MPH either, I bet if I did it would get 19.5 on a long trip.

None, you're making my point...

I parted with my latest Tundra, (I've had 4 starting with a spanking new one in 2000) and went back to a V6 ex-cab 4wd T-100.

It meets my needs, hauls my popup truck camper and pulls my Lund boat. And when I drive it down the highway without those toys, it gives me a solid 20+ mpg. I could "want" a v8 truck, but frankly I don't "need" a v8 truck.

But I do like the new Tundras! Great looking rides.

None, you're making my point...

I parted with my latest Tundra, (I've had 4 starting with a spanking new one in 2000) and went back to a V6 ex-cab 4wd T-100.

It meets my needs, hauls my popup truck camper and pulls my Lund boat. And when I drive it down the highway without those toys, it gives me a solid 20+ mpg. I could "want" a v8 truck, but frankly I don't "need" a v8 truck.

But I do like the new Tundras! Great looking rides.

I understand. I have a 10 mile commute to work one way, so the Mileage does not aggravate me. I switch between it a Honda Crosstour and a 2006 Tacoma V6 so right now not a big deal. I bet most people do not need a large truck , I plan on using mine much more when I retire.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18

On a trip to Goose Lake, CA I got 18 - 20 MPG on the open road (no stop-n-go), according to the dash display. My calcs were the same, based on gallons filled and miles. Over Willamette Pass I got 18 MPG for 10 gallons, that's up the pass and back down, with some heavy throttle grin

On flat ground, I was 19 - 20 MPG.

I've got the 5.7 liter and 4x4.

Mine mirrors this with a 2008 5.7 4x4. The first "trip" I took with mine was exactly 20mpg driving 70 on the interstate. Had to cross a couple of mountains (small compared to out West) but I'd guess the up gas is made up on the down side. This was with stock tires. I'd guess it would be a little less now with more aggressive tires, I haven't checked it lately.

Mine's used for truck stuff. Pulling a 3 horse/stock trailer, pulling a trailer loaded with hay or tractor, pulled a 21' camper for several years, has an atv in the back as much as it doesn't, nothing big enough to require a 3/4 ton but steady work for a 1/2 ton. It came with a lifetime power-train warranty through the dealer as long as I keep up the minimum maintenance schedule...so they seem to have faith in it's longevity. It's been a great truck and I have not complaints.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18
I was a Toyota guy forever, only time I strayed from a Toyota was to drive a Cummins, wife’s been driving Toyota’s or Lexus for more than 15 years. My son absolutely destroyed a Corolla with 150,000 miles on it when we pretty much gave it away and he got a Tacoma for the Colorado move. But I hold Toyota accountable when they are lacking and IMHO they are lacking. I owned THREE [bleep] Tundras since 2007 and in the current day and age the SOB’s are lacking in so many ways. If they can reconfigure fuel delivery or mate the power plant to a drive train that provides modern day fuel economy and good performance in half ton trucks I would probably buy another one. I never got the kind of mileage some of you are spewing but I also threw away the P rated tires they came with immediately after buying them and I know that the Tundras were very sensitive to tire weight as well as bed or towing weight which makes no sense to me. Hell the diesel I bought to replace the last Tundra got 20-21 mpg on the highway. The Tundra was a solid 15.5 mpg truck on a tank of fuel, the tranny was never happy , even the slightest grade had the tranny downshifting and when towing it was always in lower gears which destroyed the fuel economy and annoyed the crap out of me. But I kept telling myself it’s a Toyota it’ll run forever. I really hope they make some much needed changes , I don’t keep a truck for more than 3 years usually but I’m coming up on retirement and my next truck will most likely be one I keep for a long time. So come on Toyota get your chit together and make a better performing half ton truck and I’ll probably buy it. However right now there’s no way I step out of my current F150 and into a Tundra and would feel like I’m driving the better truck, there’s just no comparison in performance.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18
Only way I got the mileage some of you guys are getting was either downhill, or with a stiff tail wind. W TX where I live is as flat and level as you'll find anywhere, and setting the cruise on 70mph, straight out run on highway, I could get near 18. Bump it up to 75, the speed limit on the interstate highways, and I'd get 16 max. I never reset my miles per gallon calculator over 75kmiles, and it said 13.7 overall combined MPG.

My current Silverado 1500 crew 4x4 gets 21 hwy (same roads), 16 city, overall avg for first 2100 miles is 17.1mpg. I've owned them all when we ran our small fleets in the oil patch.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/15/18
For those currently with or have had the tundra - any issues going up one tire size without a level kit? Currently has 275/65/18 Michelins at 32" tall. I want to go to a 10 ply 275/70/18 which is the same width but 33.2" tall. I really don't want to mess with levels or adjusting the front end geometry. New tires will be on stock TRD wheels.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Only way I got the mileage some of you guys are getting was either downhill, or with a stiff tail wind. W TX where I live is as flat and level as you'll find anywhere, and setting the cruise on 70mph, straight out run on highway, I could get near 18. Bump it up to 75, the speed limit on the interstate highways, and I'd get 16 max. I never reset my miles per gallon calculator over 75kmiles, and it said 13.7 overall combined MPG.

My current Silverado 1500 crew 4x4 gets 21 hwy (same roads), 16 city, overall avg for first 2100 miles is 17.1mpg. I've owned them all when we ran our small fleets in the oil patch.

Best I can get with my car is 25 but when I cross the NM border and fill up, I get 30+. There's something wrong with the gas in TX.
Posted By: byd Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
I put Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx LT275/65 R18's on mine no problems.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
275 70 18s on stock rig with no issues. Liking the Toyo tires so far. 10 ply.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18

You couldn't post a picture of the tires could you? I really like my Cooper AT 3's but I'd like to fill the wheel well of the Tundra up a little more. However, I don't want to add a suspension lift to do so.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

You couldn't post a picture of the tires could you? I really like my Cooper AT 3's but I'd like to fill the wheel well of the Tundra up a little more. However, I don't want to add a suspension lift to do so.

I much prefer to have the wheel well more open. It's easier to work under there without removing the tires. It's easier to clean out the mud. If chains are needed, the last thing you want is a full wheelwell. Chains need clearance.
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
Never rubbed with them. [Linked Image]

Never use chains so can't say about the clearance if using those.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
I was a Toyota guy forever, only time I strayed from a Toyota was to drive a Cummins, wife’s been driving Toyota’s or Lexus for more than 15 years. My son absolutely destroyed a Corolla with 150,000 miles on it when we pretty much gave it away and he got a Tacoma for the Colorado move. But I hold Toyota accountable when they are lacking and IMHO they are lacking. I owned THREE [bleep] Tundras since 2007 and in the current day and age the SOB’s are lacking in so many ways. If they can reconfigure fuel delivery or mate the power plant to a drive train that provides modern day fuel economy and good performance in half ton trucks I would probably buy another one. I never got the kind of mileage some of you are spewing but I also threw away the P rated tires they came with immediately after buying them and I know that the Tundras were very sensitive to tire weight as well as bed or towing weight which makes no sense to me. Hell the diesel I bought to replace the last Tundra got 20-21 mpg on the highway. The Tundra was a solid 15.5 mpg truck on a tank of fuel, the tranny was never happy , even the slightest grade had the tranny downshifting and when towing it was always in lower gears which destroyed the fuel economy and annoyed the crap out of me. But I kept telling myself it’s a Toyota it’ll run forever. I really hope they make some much needed changes , I don’t keep a truck for more than 3 years usually but I’m coming up on retirement and my next truck will most likely be one I keep for a long time. So come on Toyota get your chit together and make a better performing half ton truck and I’ll probably buy it. However right now there’s no way I step out of my current F150 and into a Tundra and would feel like I’m driving the better truck, there’s just no comparison in performance.

What about your F150 with the 4.6L?

NYH1.
After swearing off Toyota for over 30 years because of a bad dealer experience I decided the ten year old F150 was going for a Tundra. Just couldn't get away from liking the Tundra better than any other new pickup on the road today. Mine is a 2015, has 32,000 miles on it and has been absolutely a pleasure to own.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
After swearing off Toyota for over 30 years because of a bad dealer experience I decided the ten year old F150 was going for a Tundra. Just couldn't get away from liking the Tundra better than any other new pickup on the road today. Mine is a 2015, has 32,000 miles on it and has been absolutely a pleasure to own.

shoots, all that matters is you like your truck and it works for your needs.

NYH1.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/16/18

NYH1.

Only had that truck for 5 months, it doesn’t count.....grin
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/17/18

Thanks for the picture. Those tires look good. How many miles and how are they wearing? Like you, I never run chains so that is a non factor for me. However, it does look like chains would fit if someone wanted to run them.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/17/18

NYH1.

Only had that truck for 5 months, it doesn’t count.....grin

[Linked Image]
NYH1. wink
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/17/18
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Thanks for the picture. Those tires look good. How many miles and how are they wearing? Like you, I never run chains so that is a non factor for me. However, it does look like chains would fit if someone wanted to run them.

I've got about 25,000 on them so far and looks like I can get another 30-35000 on them. Wearing good, balance easy. Had two blowouts offroad with rocks and a cattle guard using the originals. No issues since going 10 ply. These are the Toyo 352450. I'm mostly driving on rocks and snow, though no snow this winter due to drought. Last winter they handled fine though and I will probably buy the same tire again when these wear out.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/18/18

Same exact tires on my 2016 Tundra. I pulled and sold the stock Michelins almost immediately. Have ~30,000k on the TOYOs now- mixture of asphalt and gravel- and very happy overall. Seem to be wearing better than the DuraTracs (which I still like a lot) and Wranglers I've used on my other truck. Only thing I'll do different on the next set is go with the XTs.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/19/18
Just bought a new 2018 Tundra SR5, TRD Sport 4x4 with the 5.7. First tank of gas, hand calculated, gave me 16.2 mpg and 140 miles of that was pulling my boat. I'm thinking it should break 17mpg after the break in period, we'll see. Love the power, love the ride, a fine truck. I'll later add a 2.5" front levelling kit with the front differential drop spacers and maybe go to 315x20" tires so I'm sure that gas mileage will take a dive.
Posted By: NYH1 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/20/18
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Just bought a new 2018 Tundra SR5, TRD Sport 4x4 with the 5.7. First tank of gas, hand calculated, gave me 16.2 mpg and 140 miles of that was pulling my boat. I'm thinking it should break 17mpg after the break in period, we'll see. Love the power, love the ride, a fine truck. I'll later add a 2.5" front levelling kit with the front differential drop spacers and maybe go to 315x20" tires so I'm sure that gas mileage will take a dive.

Nice, nothing like a new truck. grin

Enjoy, NYH1.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/20/18
To those that have a Tundra, Tacoma, etc., there is a product called "Pedal Commander" on Amazon.com for ~ 290$ and this thing kicks ass, I'll tell ya'll.

My cousin and his 3 sons all have Toyotas (3 Tundras and a new Taco) and have these in their trucks. There are 4 settings and you'll not want to exceed the "City" mode. It's all in throttle response, not engine tuning, per se, does not affect the ECM module and does not show when scanning the computer like, say, if you had used an engine tuner. This thing takes all of 5 minutes to install and most of that holding the flashlight in the right position.
Posted By: EdM Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/21/18
To those that have a Tundra, Tacoma, etc., there is a product called "Pedal Commander" on Amazon.com for ~ 290$ and this thing kicks ass, I'll tell ya'll.

My cousin and his 3 sons all have Toyotas (3 Tundras and a new Taco) and have these in their trucks. There are 4 settings and you'll not want to exceed the "City" mode. It's all in throttle response, not engine tuning, per se, does not affect the ECM module and does not show when scanning the computer like, say, if you had used an engine tuner. This thing takes all of 5 minutes to install and most of that holding the flashlight in the right position.

Does it improve gas mileage?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/21/18
Of the 4 modes one is labeled as “economy “ mode for interstate driving. Bear in mind that it’s not a tuner just a throttle position amplifier.
The throttle response programming on my 16 tundra is pretty badly programmed. You have to put in too much accelerator to get moving in the normal mode and it feels like a slug, if you put it in tow/haul mode it drives more like it should. Ideally the tow/haul mode with the normal transmission shift points would be how it drove all the time. This pedal commander would probably fix it but I'm not going to pay that much to try it.

I had a 2005 camry that had screwy throttle programming also, they got it right in my 2014 camry. I don't know why toyota has a problem getting this right.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/26/18
Second tank of gas = 14.9 mpg with lots of miles pulling my Bad Boy cart on a double axle trailer.
Posted By: mudhen Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 02/27/18
What exactly does it do?
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 03/15/18
Second tank of gas = 14.9 mpg with lots of miles pulling my Bad Boy cart on a double axle trailer.

Last 2 tanks at 15.4mpg and 16.9mpg, both with some towing.
Posted By: Terryk Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 03/15/18
I get 16 even with my old light weight, low horse power 4.7 first gen Tundra. Those are some good numbers for the extra size and horsepower in your rig.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/01/18
16.5 and 15.4 mpg on last 2 fillups. I’ll be adding the 2.5” leveling kit soon and expect a decrease, we’ll see.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/01/18
It’s not the leveling kit that’s gonna get you, it’s the rubber. As soon as you get away from the P series car tires they come with that weigh like 40 lbs a piece and jump up into 50-60 lb a piece tire expect a 2 mpg drop minimum. Been there done that.
Posted By: mudhen Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/01/18
It’s not the leveling kit that’s gonna get you, it’s the rubber. As soon as you get away from the P series car tires they come with that weigh like 40 lbs a piece and jump up into 50-60 lb a piece tire expect a 2 mpg drop minimum. Been there done that.

Well, I replaced the factory tires on my 2012 Tundra at 25K and went to Hankook DynaPro ATM LT-rated tires. Been through two sets, now and there has been no discernible difference in the gas mileage. We live in the middle of nowhere, and most of our driving is highway--probably about 60- 65% interstate and 30% two lane blacktop, with the rest being in town somewhere.

I bought a new set of P-series Hankook DynaPro ATMs in January, mostly because we just haven't been doing a lot of rock crawling lately. I checked the mileage on a 1,700-mile round trip to NW Colorado in late January, and again just this week as my wife returned from a 2,100-mile trip to eastern Nebraska. Highway mileage has remained pretty constant between 17 and 17.5 mpg--just as it has been ever since the truck was new.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/02/18
He mentioned in a previous post going with 315’s, that’s what I was referring to. If you stay stock size the difference isn’t huge, go up in size and it’s a different story.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/02/18
He mentioned in a previous post going with 315’s, that’s what I was referring to. If you stay stock size the difference isn’t huge, go up in size and it’s a different story.

Yep, tis true and as you say have done it before but do like the look of it. Coming from a 6.0, GMC 2500 gasser, Z-71 giving me a solid, dependable 10-11mpg, I can tell you a 40% increase in mpg is a nice thing. And, with a 38 gallon tank.
Posted By: sigguy Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/02/18

Ha - exactly my thoughts. I usually get around 15-16 mpg in a mix of highway and city driving with my 2008 5.7, but when I put on my winter/hunting tires (stock size G/Y Duratracs) I lose around 2 mpg instantly. If I remember correctly the G/Y's weigh about 15 lbs more than the P series Michelins.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/11/18
Doing my first upgrades here next week. Dropping off at the shop for the following:

4 new Bilstien 5100, with the front set for 2" of front level
BFG KO LT 275/70/18 load range e tires
air aid air bags kit, with compressor and remote

I like the TRD wheels, so there is no reason for me to switch those out. The tires are 33.2 which adds a bit of size without trimming anything. The 2" level will give it a better stance, but then when I tow my 7k tt, the airbags can be used to level it out. Should be a good upgrade in look and function, without getting too crazy. Will post pictures when its done.

On a side, note, I took my TT for a spin just to see how the Tundra would tow it. Power is not as issue, as I can tow as fast as I want to go - truck in tow haul mode really moves! Back end sagged a bit more than I would like (especially since this was unloaded) thus getting the airbags and the 4ply Michelins are junk. Way to light and squishy - no way I would ever tow with these. Everything else was great. Trailer didn't push me around, truck drove easy, and I was able to clear some big grades with power to spare. With the bags and 10 ply tires, I will be ready to go with confidence!
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/11/18
The air bags are awesome. There’s a lot of weight on my rear suspension in this pic, the bed has probably 20 gallons of gas in addition to the Honda and that’s a 27’ TT hooked to it. Nice and level.

Tundra Loaded
Posted By: hillbill Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/12/18
If you plan to drive the truck for a long time I would think very hard about an ARB locker in the rear, If I had it to do over mine would be wearing one now. thats the only real gripe I have had with my Tundra in the last 130,000 miles, the factory traction control sucks, why Toyota refuses to offer an electric locker still puzzles me.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/20/18
Here are some pics of the after done on my tundra. 2" front level with Bilstiens, air lift bags with on board compressor and wireless remote, LT275/70/18 BFG'S. Came out exactly how I had it pictured. Feels like a truck now (no more squishy p rated michelins) and even though it was only 2", the front stance really looks higher and better. The bags are awesome and will make sure I have a nice level ride when I have 8-900 pounds of tounge from our TT.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/20/18
Looks good, I’ve always said that’s how they should come from the factory!
Posted By: 4th_point Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/21/18
Looks good. I agree, those P-series Michelins suck grin
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/21/18
Looks good. I agree, those P-series Michelins suck grin

The good side is that it doesn't take long to wear them out....
Posted By: 30338 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/21/18
Here are some pics of the after done on my tundra. 2" front level with Bilstiens, air lift bags with on board compressor and wireless remote, LT275/70/18 BFG'S. Came out exactly how I had it pictured. Feels like a truck now (no more squishy p rated michelins) and even though it was only 2", the front stance really looks higher and better. The bags are awesome and will make sure I have a nice level ride when I have 8-900 pounds of tounge from our TT.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you use the stock springs on the bilstiens? Looks good. Mine is its twin other than I just tinted front windows and blacked out wheels.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/22/18
Yes, they are the stock springs with the bilstiens. So I have been running around with the airbags at 10 psi of air, and it stiffens up the back end just enough to really feel like a truck. Overall I am very pleased. About the only thing left that I want to do is to replace the mirror with an extendable tow mirror. There are quite a few options on EBAY that are priced hundreds less than thru the dealer. Anyone done one of these swaps and have anything good or bad to report?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 04/26/18
I just did these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9EB4LK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit fine and seem like they are going to work... mirror motors are louder than OEM. Haven't tested the heat. For $170, I'll give them a shot.

I'd prefer a full height power mirror with a bubble-type blind spot mirror, but I think these will work once I get used to them.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: My New Rig - 2018 Tundra - 05/01/18
Last 2 tank top offs = 16.2 mpg and 16.8 mpg, no towing. The previous one before the 16.2 mpg was towing my boat and showed 15.3 mpg. All in all I'm very happy with the truck,,,so far.

Hand calculated verses computer is within .1 mpg.
© 24hourcampfire