Home
Posted By: tzone Tire Options - 04/09/18
My 2014 Ram is going to need a set of tires by mid-summer. I'm looking for something not made by BFG or Goodyear. Snow and wet conditions are what I have the most issues with. The stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA's that came on the truck were OK in sand, gravel and mud. Sucked in snow and rain.

I put BFG KO2's on at 50K miles and they've not impressed me either. I do have 62K miles on them, so that part is decent.

I do hit the woods on most weekends whether it be fishing, atv's or logging roads. Lots of gravel roads, plenty of sand, plenty of snow, and some mud.

What are you guys using that you like?
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
What I've noticed over the years, we are talking using 4WD's for some 49 yrs. of experience here, is that there are two sets of conditions where one needs a 4WD. One is on pavement with snow and ice. The other is what you are concerned about. Mud, sand, and soft snow.
For your use, there is no perfect answer, but some understanding will help. Soft, deep sand requires enough tire to float over the sand with the truck's load. Differentials that shift power to the wheel with traction help a lot. Frankly, unless your are driving over sand dunes, I've found I don't need big wide tires. The biggest Michliens ( Sp ?) I can mount, 265's, on my stock Ram wheels work fine, even with my heavy camper, at least most of the time. They work fine on icy roads. Rubber that doesn't get hard when really cold, and special cuts on the tread to allow the tire to flex and clean allow them to grip really well on nasty icy roads.
But they are a poor choice for real off road use. The softer rubber get eaten off the tires quickly. They have little side wall protection. And they load up with mud. That's why most real off road tires have harder rubber and stiffer, beefed up sidewalls. For mud use, they have the classic mud patterns. These work well in soft snow if it isn't too deep. The trouble is they don't last long with "mud & snow" thread patterns.
Frankly, any tire used off road is not going to last near as long as one that stays on the highway.
You've been using AT tires. These are a compromise. But they don't work well in soft snow, or mud. What you can do with them is to mount snow chains. Those will make a world of difference in snow or mud. But, of course, they are a pain the neck to use.
Good luck.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
Toyo Open Country AT IIs, Cooper AT3s, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, NItto G2 Terra Grapplers

I have BFG KO2s on my truck currently, but those were all tires I gave consideration to. The Toyos were 2nd choice to the BFGs.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
Lots of good tires available nowadays that its hard to chose. This winter I went with Kumho roadventure AT 51. Been a very good tire for snow packed and ice covered roads. The National Park Service runs them and I was impressed with their performance when I was riding along. We were on some steep & icy trails and I mentioned that he was still in 2WD, he said “I know “. Never did engage 4WD.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
If you are working at heavy loads, look at the Cooper SST's they have a much stiffer side wall than most.I don't believe any tire on a pickup without 4wd will do much good in the snow unless you put 1000 pounds in the bed,and maybe chains
Posted By: K1500 Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
I am running Cooper ATP's and liking them. The AT3 is similar and more widely available.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18

Cooper AT3's (my 14 Taco) USA

Falkin AT3W's (Thailand)

new ones from General........linky........Mexico ?

http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-a-t-x
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18

Discount Tire Direct !!!!!!!!!

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
Take a look at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, very nice tire. I’ve been running a set of 35” ones on my wife’s Jeep since last summer and they have been great. We had a pile of snow this year and she loved them on the ice and snow. She said much better than the Duratracs she had on before.

Probably what I’ll be putting on my F150 when my current tires wear out.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tire Options - 04/09/18
Thank you gentlemen. I’m considering the cooper at3 so far but I’ll check out the others as well.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
I've run Toyo Open Country MTs on my last two trucks. The current truck has 30K on the tires, the most I've ever gotten ... any tire, any vehicle. They are not "done" but they are in sight of replacement. I'll probably do the same again. 4 years on a set of tires is something of a miracle for me. Although ... I lost about 2 mpg when I switched to them. That's around 5%, maybe a touch more, so it's worth considering other options.

Tom
Posted By: bucktail Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
Another vote for AT3s from me. It's about the best compromise I've found.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
Happy with the AT3's on my Tundra.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18

Hankook DynaPro ATM's on mine
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
I am partial to the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Most of my off-road driving is in sandy washes and ranch roads.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by harv3589
Take a look at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, very nice tire. I’ve been running a set of 35” ones on my wife’s Jeep since last summer and they have been great. We had a pile of snow this year and she loved them on the ice and snow. She said much better than the Duratracs she had on before.

Probably what I’ll be putting on my F150 when my current tires wear out.

Back in Jan I put Nitto ExoGrapplers on my F-250PSD. They are far and away the best I've ever had on hard-packed snow/ice. They provide plenty of traction that I often don't use 4WD around town. "Go" is impressive, "Stop" is even more impressive, I can really feel them bite. No better or worse fuel mileage than what I got with my previous BFG ATKO2, noisier on the highway than the BFG though. Obviously I don't know how they'll wear long-term, but, I did have a set of Nitto TrailGrapplers on the same rig and they went 40K with easily another 10K, but, it was fall and I like good tires for hunting/winter driving so I replaced them early. On a 1/2 ton I'd expect 60K+ assuming regular rotations are the norm and smoky burnouts are not.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
general grabbers
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
I have the Toyo Open Country RT's on my Ram 1500. They have been a great tire, they have around 20,000 miles left and still have great tread. They are a stiff tire, towed 8,000 pounds from here to Seattle over the summer and they were so stable. Love them off road and they are pretty quiet on the road. They are in between a normal all-terrain and mud terrain in tread pattern. Just another option.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
I’ve owned a bunch of trucks and many sets of tires and I have pretty much gotten to where there’s only one tire I consider when buying new tires and that’s Toyo Open Country AT’s.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
How about Falken Wilepeak A/T3? The look like a decent pattern and they're rated pretty well on Discount Tire.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Tire Options - 04/10/18
I put a set of 235/75-15's on my '96 Cherokee XJ around 3k miles ago. Traction and wear wise (no chunking) they seem fine. BUT it took a lot of weight to balance all 4. Getting a vibration starting at 35mph up until almost 45. Before and after that they're fine. Hopefully now that they should be broken in a rebalancing will resolve the issue. Not too optimistic though. And these are the smallest size offered.

Wanted to get another set of my favorite A/T's but had to spend too much to get the XJ back on the road. General Grabber A/T2's.
Posted By: coobie Re: Tire Options - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Hankook DynaPro ATM's on mine
I have the same tires on my F150.Great tire for mud & snow.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Tire Options - 04/13/18
I always buy the April Auto issue of Consumer Reports and this year they rated the All-Terrain Truck Tires like this:
1. Continental Terrain Contact A/T overall score of 72
2.Michelin LTX A/T 2 overall score also 72
3.Goodyear Wrangler Trail Runner AT overall score 68
4. Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 also 68
5. Nexen Roadian AT Pro RA8 also 68
6. Falken Wildpeak A/T AT3W also 68
Those were the only ones out of 13 tested that they recommended.
I figure that they have more time and money than we do to test them all subjectively.
Continental and Michelin also tied at 74 each for the highest rated all-season truck tire test.
The April issue is at your local library if you want to read the whole test.

Tom, those Cooper Discoverer A/T3's you wrote about scored a 64 with a down arrow for wet braking, but it did as well as the #2 Michelin and the #4 Yokohama for hydroplaining. One up arrow for dry braking and ride comfort, the rest average.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Tire Options - 04/13/18
In the same boat here, been thinking about michelin defender M/S, anybody running them and how have they been?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is the best option for any kind of all-around truck tire.

Great mileage, ride, wet, ice, tow, decent enough off-road.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by horse1
Back in Jan I put Nitto ExoGrapplers on my F-250PSD. They are far and away the best I've ever had on hard-packed snow/ice. They provide plenty of traction that I often don't use 4WD around town. "Go" is impressive, "Stop" is even more impressive, I can really feel them bite. No better or worse fuel mileage than what I got with my previous BFG ATKO2, noisier on the highway than the BFG though. Obviously I don't know how they'll wear long-term, but, I did have a set of Nitto TrailGrapplers on the same rig and they went 40K with easily another 10K, but, it was fall and I like good tires for hunting/winter driving so I replaced them early. On a 1/2 ton I'd expect 60K+ assuming regular rotations are the norm and smoky burnouts are not.

I've got 19k miles on my first set of EXO, and they still have decent tread left. Pretty quiet and balance well, compared to the M-55 that I used to run. And don't follow grooves. Can't say much about snow/ice. It's either rain here, or shave ice where nothing works well. Usually don't see powder.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by Windfall
I always buy the April Auto issue of Consumer Reports and this year they rated the All-Terrain Truck Tires like this:
I figure that they have more time and money than we do to test them all subjectively.
Continental and Michelin also tied at 74 each for the highest rated all-season truck tire test.

My Tundra came equipped with the Michelin LTX AT/2, P-series. The truck cornered really bad, to the point where I thought I needed a sway bar. I guessed that the tires were noodles, and counted on better tires being able to fix the crappy handling. Sure enough, the sidewalls on those P-series LTX tires are about as stiff as my kids' bicycle tires. Not joking. They are pathetic. Sidewall and tread are flimsy for a truck tire.

My replacement tires have stiffer sidewalls and improved the cornering. And there is absolutely no way I'd use those P-series LTX in serious gravel or rocks.

Maybe the LT-series of the LTX are better, but I wouldn't recommend the P-series to anyone unless they strictly stayed on pavement.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
I am running Coopers on my 07 Dodge Diesel. Wear is looking ok. I doubt I get the 55k mileage warranted miles. I keep throwing weights and They bounce bad starting at 75mph. Keep it under 70 and they ride great, quiet, And are very good traction tires. The mastercraft I replaced lasted into the mid 30k. These might make 50k.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by Windfall

Tom, those Cooper Discoverer A/T3's you wrote about scored a 64 with a down arrow for wet braking, but it did as well as the #2 Michelin and the #4 Yokohama for hydroplaining. One up arrow for dry braking and ride comfort, the rest average.

I put a set of the Continental Terraincontacts on my Tundra back in Oct. Only about 8K miles so far but I like them. Wanted a little more aggressive tread than the Michelins, and specifically looking for winter traction. They do not have the 3 peak severe snow rating, but are very good anyway. Also considered Coopers, but decided to try the new Continentals.

My range takes me from central VA to northern NY, had them thru deer season in the Adirondacks, so have covered dry, wet, icy, slushy, and fresh and hardpack snow covered roads. Interstates thru old logging roads. Most conditions EXCEPT sharp rocks and deep mud. They've been very good. My brother was following me on the gravel road with a dusting of light snow and he had to slow down/couldn't keep up (using General Grabbers on 4WD Ford Ranger, so lighter truck may be factor). First time coming out of deer camp on 3-4" of new snow I stayed in 2WD on purpose to get feel of the new tires and had no issues on hills or corners. Haven't had them in deep snow yet.

They're really a 90% on/10% off pavement tire, with a little better off road and winter performance than most OEM all terrain tires. They fit my needs pretty well.
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Michelin LTX A/T 2 is the best option for any kind of all-around truck tire.

Running these on my Expedition. Excellent tire for snow and winter slop. Usually don't even need to drop it into 4 wheel drive. Great ride. Not the best offroad but capable for intelligent offroad use........Black muck and standing water when your nearly buried to the frame not so much blush
Posted By: badger Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by patbrennan
In the same boat here, been thinking about michelin defender M/S, anybody running them and how have they been?

On my second set now on my 2014 RAM 2500 Diesel. 1st set went 52k miles and we’re still legal when I replaced them. Second set is at 24 k and are wearing well. Smoothest ride of any of the brands I’ve had on this truck, including Nitto’s, Hankooks and the original junk Firestones. Wet grip is good, pretty quiet and very comfortable ride. Definitely not an off-road Tire though.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
I paid $472.00 for mine. Work great... :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Toyo sued them for their tread design being too "similar".. Boo fu cking hoo... Bunch of cry babies. You know who got my money.. wink These tires are working great. So much in fact that I also put some on my 04 GMC sierra 4x4. Work well on wet roads, snow, mud, dirt roads and surprisingly quiet on the highway.. For that price, you can not go wrong. Doesn't cut into the gun fund too much, that way..
Posted By: beretzs Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
I’m on my 2nd set of Cooper ST MAXXs. I got about 55K out of my first set and was very impressed. I’ve owned nothing but 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for 25 years now and have tried everything to find the magic tire. I’d like good off road traction, mileage and low noise. Michelin’s AT2 have always been the king for mileage for me but once they are half gone they aren’t great off road at all. BFG AT KO2’s we’re less mileage, but better traction until they were about a 1/4 left of useful tread. I decided to take a chance on the Coopers since they are pretty aggressive. They aren’t perfect but I run them at 75 all around to keep them smooth. Rotate them every 7500 miles and when I’m in slop and crap I’ll air them down to 30 PSI. They make my truck into a whole nother animal once they have a large contact patch. If I chain up I’ll even drop the air a little bit. On road they get the full PSI though. They also handle towing duty real well with my 40ft 5th wheel.
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
Bridgestone Dueler AT3's on the girlfriend's '03 Ram 1500. Couldn't ask for any better performance. Nothing short of studs or chains is any good on ice, but these are the best I have tried. Great offroad and in the snow...I was pushing snow with the axles a couple years ago and it just kept going.

I put Hankook Dynapro ATm's on my work truck, a 2000 Blazer, 2 1/2 years and 38,000 miles ago. Been great tires for both highway and off-road use. Including all the stinkin' snow storms we've had the last 2 years. Amazingly enough, at last month's inspection, I still have about 65% tread left. Great tires.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tire Options - 04/14/18
We recently put new tires on both of our feed pickups.
(F350's with DRW)

One got a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's and the other got a set of Toyo Open Country AT II's.

The Hankook's are the old standby but we've never used Toyo's before. They are both quite similar in tread design.

It's been a muddy, greasy sonuvabitch lately and the Toyo's have been great. The pickup with the Kooks has been parked but I know it would do just as well.

I have Cooper ST Maxx's on my F350 and they have been great.

Time will tell if the Toyo's hold up on gravel as well as the Hankook's.

Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tire Options - 04/15/18
BSA,

What tires are you using? Didn't see it in your post.

Jason
Posted By: p3t3rsn Re: Tire Options - 04/15/18
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Couldn't agree more - think I have own just about every truck tire over the years. I am always surprised to hear about love for Toyo's. I had a set of Open Country A/T II Extremes on my GMC Sierra; worse tire I ever owned. Tread wear was ok, mud performance was very good as was towing. However, the general ride was awful, rain was terrible and the tires on snow and black ice was down right dangerous. Never again.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tire Options - 04/15/18
I wouldn't judge all Toyos based on the Open Country A/T II. I've used them, but wouldn't buy them.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Tire Options - 04/19/18
Kelly Edge AT are really good for the price. I've had really good results with Firestone Destination AT too.

Hands down BEST truck tires I have ever run were Goodyear Wrangler "Pro Grade" AT(10 ply with Kevlar belts), ran those for an honest 80,000 on a 2006 F150, could have gone another 10,000. Not sure if they make those any more though.
Posted By: JGray Re: Tire Options - 04/19/18
The Hankook Dynapro is a very popular truck tire around here and has a good reputation for winter use - I was considering those but ended up going with the Cooper ST Maxx (last summer). The Coopers did better in the ice/snow this past winter than any tire I've run on this Dodge 2500 (factory Michelin, Kuhmo Road Venturer and Cooper ATP). They do have some noticeable road noise and a bit of vibration under acceleration and braking (lugs flexing per the guys at the tire store). I'm at 14,000 so far, rotate every 4-5k, and it's looking like I should get around 45k out of them. I'll likely try the Hankooks next time just to compare.

The OP mentioned Goodyear - the GY Duratrac is another tire I see on a lot of trucks here and are reportedly very good in ice/snow. The survey crews at a previous employer swore by them on all the survey trucks.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Tire Options - 04/19/18
I put Michelin Defenders on my Sierra when the lousy stock GoodYear tires gave out at 35000 or so. I have 60k on them now, they're still good to go and I couldn't be more pleased with them. Worth every penny. Dry pavement, gravel, dirt, mud, rocks, ice, snow. Everything but sand, we don't have a lot of it around.

Last year, I put Falken WildPeak on the Suburban we just traded in as we knew it would be going to a new home sometime soon. I liked those tires a lot, much more than I expected to like them. Deep tread, quiet and nice ride.

But on my '73 Bronco I have BFG A/T KO2 because that is what you put on a Bronco
Posted By: okie Re: Tire Options - 04/23/18
Running Cooper Discoverer A/T3's at over 65k right now but ready for new shoes. Gonna go with a Goodyear this time due to the 35% discount I get plus a rebate. The Coopers have been great tires....
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Tire Options - 04/23/18
I needed a set of tires for a 98 F150...the tires on it were horrible on ice even when new. Just happened that Consumer Reports had just done a review of light truck tires...and gave the Hankook Dynapro ATM a very strong rating on ice traction. The ones I replaced had the black circle of death for ice traction from CS! I bought a set of the Dynapros and have been super satisfied. At 22000 miles there is still a strong half tread, they are reasonably quiet (some road noise, but not much), and have good wet road traction, good snow traction (they are not a M+S tire, but do okay), and are, indeed, very good on ice. I have the 10 ply on the F150, and have since put the 4 ply version on a Chevy pickup and my girlfriends Jeep Commander. She drives 52 miles of interstate to work and back every day, and also thinks they are a good tire...and she HATES an icy road but has had to drive lots of them this Montana winter. They are not the only choice, but they are a very good tire in my experience, and not too bad for price.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Tire Options - 04/24/18
I also have a 2014 Ram. I got Cooper RTX ATs at NTB. They’re only sold certain places. Had them since November and no complaints so far, they’ve done very well in snow, mud, wet grass, loose gravel you name it. Just under $800 total for all 4. I like them way better than the Goodyear’s and Landvigators I had on my Chevy. The Mastercrafts on my Ram were also very good, even towards the end when they were very low on tread, but they weren’t ATs.
Posted By: iddave Re: Tire Options - 04/26/18
Look at the corrent price of Mickey Thompson ATZs at 4wd parts for a fairly incredible deal on a very good tire. It’s a MT/AT hybrid.

Dave
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tire Options - 04/27/18
Put Kenda AP's on my ford, as that is what the local guy had in for it. Put Cooper discoverer AT's on the ranch truck yesterday. Because that is what the local guy had in stock for it...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Tire Options - 04/27/18
Originally Posted by 45_100
I am partial to the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Most of my off-road driving is in sandy washes and ranch roads.

I run Dyno Pro ATM2 on my Pilot, from Hankook.. during the non winter months..
Hankook calls them RF10.....The back tires on the Pilot have got 80K on them now
and still wearing enough for another non winter season on them...

Their RF11 are their "Winter Pike".. they are hydrophilic rubber, and siped etc...
plus you can get them studded....

They do better in the snow than the RF10s/ Dyna Pro ATM2....

I run the Winter Pike on my Pilot, 4 Runner and Camry in the winter..for the snow
but moreso for the Wet Season of plenty of soaked roads we deal with her in Oregon.

and also have worn well, lasting thru 3 winter seasons so far on each vehicle....

and the price on them, thru Discount Tire Direct can't be beat..I get them mounted at Walmart
or mount and balance them myself over at the College Auto Program...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tire Options - 04/27/18

Punctured one of my Cooper AT3's last week......'14 Taco truck

tires have 3400 miles.....was on a graded BLM road out in BFE Utah.....

Lots of sharp rocks......had to plug it to get home....called DTD Monday...

they sent me a new replacement....had road hazard on them.....

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3/p/27122
Posted By: tzone Re: Tire Options - 04/27/18
Originally Posted by iddave
Look at the corrent price of Mickey Thompson ATZs at 4wd parts for a fairly incredible deal on a very good tire. It’s a MT/AT hybrid.

Dave

I’ll check that out. Thanks
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Tire Options - 04/28/18
I just recently replaced my set of Cooper AT3 tires. Nearly all of the reviews were good and I know people who have run them with good success. For some reason, mine had a strange 'whine' sound to them at anything over about 60 MPH. I figured they would wear in and get quiet but mine did not. I had purchased them through Discount Tire Direct when they had one of their Ebay specials of $100 off Purchases over $400; this allowed me to buy (2) sets of (2) and save $200. When they ran a similar offer a couple of months ago I replaced them with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. So far I like them better. Quieter on the highway and better in the sand. Haven't had them in the mud yet.
© 24hourcampfire