Home
Posted By: tzone Leveling Kits - 10/02/18
What do y'all think? I picked up a 2016 F-150 and dislike the "rake" they have in them. I'd also like to run a bit bigger tire. 33" or so. Do you need to have the aligned after they're installed?
Posted By: JPro Re: Leveling Kits - 10/02/18
They do look better with a slight front lift to get things closer to level. Totally level is a bad idea, as any weight in the bed on on the tongue makes the truck squat in the back and looks funky. I had one in that body style and it wore 33x11.25" metric tires on 18" wheels with no rubbing and no front spacers. Doing it again, I'd get a small front spacer lift. Alignment is suggested afterwards.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/02/18
You can run 33's on the truck with the stock suspension unless the tires are really wide and not on factory rims. I'm going to 275/75/18's soon, they are 33.2" and I won't have any issues.

I don't care for the front leveling unless the rear is lifted too. To me it looks like someone started lifting the truck and only had enough money to do the front half and plan to do the back later.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/03/18
My 08 Dodge diesel has 4 doors and a long bed. It's 23' long. It sits fairly level stock but when I put a stock rack with critters on it and hang my camp trailer behind it, it does squat a bit. I also have air bags that nicely bring it up to wherever I want it, adding some good weight capacity.

If you raise the front to level one, a set of air bags will take care of that squatting problem when you load it.
Posted By: badger Re: Leveling Kits - 10/03/18
Don’t forget to aim your headlights after you’ve leveled it. Pet peeve of mine.
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/03/18
Originally Posted by JMR40
You can run 33's on the truck with the stock suspension unless the tires are really wide and not on factory rims. I'm going to 275/75/18's soon, they are 33.2" and I won't have any issues.

I don't care for the front leveling unless the rear is lifted too. To me it looks like someone started lifting the truck and only had enough money to do the front half and plan to do the back later.

Thanks. It has 275/65/18 now. The back is lifted about 2-3" higher than the front. With the loads I'm hauling it's not squatting enough to matter much. I'm pulling probably 2000 pounds every weekend between a boat and a few wheelers and gear.

I won't be switching wheels, so factrory'ish width.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Leveling Kits - 10/03/18
Go with Bilstein 5100’s with the ring one below the tallest setting. That way it won’t have soo much rake but doesnt look stupid when you put weight in the bed or hook up a trailer. 275/70/18’s (33”) will fit perfect.

Before

[Linked Image]

After

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noduck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
Tzone, Got a 16 f150 as well.. I did what Alaska cub did went with Bilstein 5100’s. Did front and back cant remember the settings. Like 2.5 in front like 1 in the back.. Also put a blocker in the back,so dont get that cargo bed dragging on the highway when pulling...

For summer tires kept Ford factory rim 18inch and put on 295 michelen defender.
For winter( ice fishing mainly why) went with after market 18 inch and Nitto ridge grapplers 295.. Very happy with these in snow...

Went with 295 cause gives you the height and not the huge extra width.. Always been i believer skinny width is better for snow..

I have always wanted to level a truck, glad i did. The ride is way better then factory shocks. People have commented how smooth it is for having a bigger tires.. I hated that rake in the front as well.. I also like the fact that it does not look to crazy.Like a 6 inch lift.. The only time you see a difference is when i am parked next to a regular f150..

Gas (mpg) drops a little. But still getting better then my 10 2500 chevy gasser i had....
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
Noduck,

I'm a believer in the skinny tires for snow as well. Did you need an alignment for the bilstein's after install? I'm not too worried about gas mileage. I'm getting almost 20 now with mixed driving, more highway at the moment.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
lots of folks do it up here. Never been a fan, as badger said most melt your eyes with their damned headlights. I guess if you don't plan on using it as a truck leveling makes sense? They look retarded to me. smile
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
I couldn't stand the rake on my Tundra, so I did the Bilstien in the front set on 2" setting...however, I also put airbags in the back so i never have the rear sag. Run 275/70/18 33.2" BFG tires....The look is exactly what I was wanting....You will need to realign if you go with the bilstien shocks lifted.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noduck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
Yep need alignment afterwards.. And depending on how much you tow. I have been getting by with a block, to avoid the squat.. Most ive pulled is a 18ft boat. or like 2,000 pounds, Yeti icehouse, or trailer with atv's. Has not moved at all.. And cheaper than airbags....

If i were to pull a lot with heavier loads totally get air bags....

I'll try and post a pic tonight. My chauffeur hours of driving the children of the corn around to sporting events. Will par take soon... HA.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
With my airbags, I can tow my 8500# - approx 1k tounge - RV with absolutely zero squat. - run them on 55 pounds.
Posted By: Driftboater Re: Leveling Kits - 10/04/18
I installed the Bilstein 5100s on my '11 F150 one setting below max height to get a little more ground clearance and it was just about level. As Alaskacub said, it rode nose up when I towed or threw gear in the bed. It drove me nuts so I installed an add-a-leaf. No problems with squatting after that. There are tons of threads about leveling kits, Bilstein 5100s, and similar height adjustable shocks (Fox/ Icon/ Boss) along with installation tips on F150forum.com. As others have said, you will need to have a wheel alignment after installation.
Posted By: noduck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/05/18
[Linked Image]IMG_1169 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/165056183@N04/]

Tzone heres my truck!!!!!!!!!

295 with nitto ridge tires.. Picture has a bad angle they look wide, but the width is barely pass the fender wall.
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/08/18
Originally Posted by noduck

295 with nitto ridge tires.. Picture has a bad angle they look wide, but the width is barely pass the fender wall.

I like it. It looks good man.
Posted By: win7stw Re: Leveling Kits - 10/11/18
I put the Fox 2.0 adjustable shocks on my 2015. I am running 285/60/20 duratracs on mine. I believe they are around a 34" tall tire. It rides way better than with the garbage factory shocks.
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/11/18
The shocks might be the way I'm going to go. Everyone that has them seems to like them.
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: Leveling Kits - 10/11/18
Hey Tom,
long time. not sure if you seen mine the last time, but on my 14' and 16' f-150's I had level kits put in the day I bought them. I ran 276/65/20's on both trucks. the look is way better and I don't believe the ride changed at all. I am putting a 2.5" level kit in my new truck today as well. we'll see how that turns out. any questions I can surely send you pics. my 14 has 85k and the 16 has 60 now.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/11/18
Just ordered a 2” Auto Spring levelling kit for the front and 3” blocks for the rear to keep some of the rake. Looked at the shocks and may go that route when the factory ones wear out and I will look at the fox shocks with new springs. Also a bit cheaper to go this route at this point in my life...no doubt the shocks are better but you pay for it
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/13/18

That is a sweet looking truck!

That could almost get me into a Ford....

Almost.

grin
Posted By: Motown Re: Leveling Kits - 10/19/18
I also have a 2016 F150 and installed the Billstein 5100’s front and back. I set the fronts at the highest setting of 2.10” and it sits perfect with 33” 285/70/17 tires. You will need an alignment cause mine was pretty out of whack after.

Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leveling Kits - 10/19/18
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
lots of folks do it up here. Never been a fan, as badger said most melt your eyes with their damned headlights. I guess if you don't plan on using it as a truck leveling makes sense? They look retarded to me. smile

I dislike the look of them too. To me they look like a dog dragging his ass. It's mostly only done by the city kids around here that just use them for cruising.
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/22/18
L
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I dislike the look of them too. To me they look like a dog dragging his ass. It's mostly only done by the city kids around here that just use them for cruising.

A leveling kit does not cause the front to be higher....”leveling kit.”
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/22/18
Change of plans for mine, ordering the Bilstein 6112 front shocks with coil springs and rear 5160’s plus 3” block to keep the rake in my truck then putting a set of 285/60R20 Duratracs on it.
Posted By: Driftboater Re: Leveling Kits - 10/24/18
If you would like to have flexibility and more control over adjustments, check out the Boss coilover adjustable shocks. You can adjust the lift to whatever height you want. Very good reviews over on the F150Forum.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/24/18
Originally Posted by Driftboater
If you would like to have flexibility and more control over adjustments, check out the Boss coilover adjustable shocks. You can adjust the lift to whatever height you want. Very good reviews over on the F150Forum.

Those would be very nice but too much money for me...decided to put the 5100 in the rear. $689 for all 4 shocks
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Leveling Kits - 10/24/18
Originally Posted by tzone
L

Huh? As stock, the front sits lower than rear. Leveling it either brings the front up or the back down. Either way is gayer than a subaru. smile
Posted By: Motown Re: Leveling Kits - 10/24/18

That looks really good! Is that just a 2” level in the front? Any cutting, trimming or moving the crash bars to avoid rubbing with the 295’s?
Posted By: noduck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/24/18
I cant remember but i think it was 2.5 in front the like a 1 inch in back with a blocker. To avoid sag.. No cutting or trimming.. Only time it rubs is when in reverse downhill turn the wheels to the left.. Weird but i have like 10k on those tires and its gone.. Was very minor rubbing to begin with..
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Leveling Kits - 10/25/18
I like the ass-end higher than the front. I get better mileage going downhill all the time....
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/26/18
Originally Posted by Motown

That looks really good! Is that just a 2” level in the front? Any cutting, trimming or moving the crash bars to avoid rubbing with the 295’s?

L

Huh? As stock, the front sits lower than rear. Leveling it either brings the front up or the back down. Either way is gayer than a subaru. smile

No. If it's lower than the rear, they did it wrong or lowered it in the rear. And yes, that looks gayer than AIDS.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Leveling Kits - 10/26/18
I think up until the early 1990's a leveling kit consisted of a rick of firewood.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Leveling Kits - 10/26/18

No. If it's lower than the rear, they did it wrong or lowered it in the rear. And yes, that looks gayer than AIDS.

You're making my head hurt.

Trucks come from factory higher in the ass end. Some folks raise the front ends to "level them" . Thus unless they alter the trajectory of their headlights they blind everyone else on the road. Then if you actually want to use the truck as a truck, you have to put bags or helper springs or whatever to keep it from going total Richard Simmons.

This practice is gayer than an altar boy in a subaru.

smile

I added the emoji to keep from hurting feelers.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Leveling Kits - 10/27/18
A much cheaper solution is bags of sand from Home Depot. That makes the ride smoother, too. You can take a bag out if your golf clubs put it a half bubble off level.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Leveling Kits - 10/27/18
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Go with Bilstein 5100’s with the ring one below the tallest setting. That way it won’t have soo much rake but doesnt look stupid when you put weight in the bed or hook up a trailer. 275/70/18’s (33”) will fit perfect.

Before

[Linked Image]

After

[Linked Image]

To my eye, the before looks better.
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/29/18

You're making my head hurt.

Trucks come from factory higher in the ass end. Some folks raise the front ends to "level them" . Thus unless they alter the trajectory of their headlights they blind everyone else on the road. Then if you actually want to use the truck as a truck, you have to put bags or helper springs or whatever to keep it from going total Richard Simmons.

This practice is gayer than an altar boy in a subaru.

smile

I added the emoji to keep from hurting feelers.

I don’t get hurt feelers from the internet. Who do you think I am, seafire? laugh

I understand the lights and I do understand what you’re saying. But I want to get rid of the rake so adding to the rear gets me back to where I am now, just higher. Lol
Posted By: tzone Re: Leveling Kits - 10/29/18
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A much cheaper solution is bags of sand from Home Depot. That makes the ride smoother, too. You can take a bag out if your golf clubs put it a half bubble off level.

That would work awesome if I was a golfer. Sand bags get in the way of the rest of the stuff being carried. It’s never not carrying something.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Leveling Kits - 11/04/18
New struts in front, lifted 2”, blocks and shocks in rear lifted 1.5”. New shocks in rear. Looks much better and rides better than factory. New 33.5” duratracs which also provided some lift
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Leveling Kits - 11/05/18
I get the raked set up from the factory. Unfortunately, many times it puts the front bumper waaaaay too low. Hell, for a while the Subaru’s had more ground clearance up front than a F150.

I’d rather go up a bit front and rear.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Leveling Kits - 01/11/19
My 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 leveled....

With new wheels and tires.
[Linked Image]

When I brought it home before level kit and after with factory rims and tires
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Leveling Kits - 01/14/19
What tires and size did you go with?
Posted By: sactoller Re: Leveling Kits - 01/14/19
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What tires and size did you go with?

I'm guessing you are asking me.

Raceline 17"x9"
Maxis Bighorn 33"x11.50"

The level kit is Falcon, expensive but well worth the money.
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: Leveling Kits - 01/24/19
I have a 2014 F150 screw 4x4 3.5 ecoboost. I put a 1.5 inch leveling kit in it (front blocks). Worked perfect for my needs. I run 265/75R17 tires. There is plenty of room for bigger tires, I like it fine with factory size tires. And I still get great mileage. I would post a picture if I knew how. That truck is faster than my 1971 formula Firebird I had as a teenager.
© 24hourcampfire