Home
Posted By: whelennut New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
Everyone know that you take a beating on depreciation the first few years.
Should a 64 year old. retired guy buy new or get a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
Posted By: super T Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
There likely is no right answer only opinions. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and get a new one because there is so little difference in price, especially if you expect to own this truck long term. BTW I bought a 2018 Tacoma TRD several months ago. I have been totally satisfied, but I pretty much knew what I was getting because this is my third Taco. I never even looked at other small trucks when I was in the mood to buy.
Posted By: stantdm Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
Only you can answer that question. Depends on the used Toyota of course (condition and price) and on what you want. Frequently the price of a new one, if there are any incentives in the marketing plan, result in a better deal than buying a used on with a lot less warranty remaining.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
The 2016 was the first of the redesigned Tacoma with a new motor. They had some issues and not sure if they were fixed that year. A new one is what I would go for in this case. If you can find a good 2015, then I would go that route.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18

do research on the new 3.5 Tacoma motor.......compared to the ole 4.0L

I bought a used '14 a year ago with 70K on the clock......now only pushing 80K

Good reliable trucks.......also have an '05 with 167K..wife's daily driver

Both DC SB's
Posted By: whelennut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
I am thinking that this will outlast me, might as well get a new one.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
I really like my '14 shown here with new Cooper ST Maxx tires

One thing I had to have when I bought it was the 6 speed manual transmission

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
I have had 6 Tacomas over the years. I bought all of them new. The resale value is so high that you are better off buying new............
I had a 1989 but after my boys were to big for the back seat I got a F150.
Now the boys are men and I am ready for a Tacoma and I like the manual transmission myself.
Posted By: Windfall Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/11/18
I'd say it depends on how you plan to use it. As a daily driver and a lot of miles, I'd opt for a new one and that newer traction system that they have on the 4x4's would be worth having if you go off road much. I only use my truck for special occasions and I wanted the 5.4 engine and bought the last year F-150 that used that engine so I bought like new, used. The Tacoma was the only Toyota that didn't get the "recommended" tag for the 2018 year in Consumer Reports auto issue last April. You could look on Autotrader.com or check out Lenztruck.com to see what the used ones are going for, but they have always seemed exaggerated high verses the price of a new one.
Manual transmissions are very scarce new or used around here. My intentions are to drive it any time it is to miserable to drive a motorcycle which is about half the year.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18

I'm not sure I'd buy the newer 2016+ Tacoma though. While I've not personally driven one I hear too many bad things about the new engine. I have a 2007 that has been great.

Many people ASSUME that they take a beating on depreciation the 1st few years. That is true of most cars and SUV's, but trucks hold their value much better. With trucks it is often a wash long term and you can come out better buying new.

Here is the mistake I see people make. They look at $50,000 stickers on new trucks and panic. They end up buying a 3-4 year old used truck for $25,000 and tell people they saved $25,000. The problem is that the $50,000 truck will actually sell for $40,000 and the $25,000 truck they bought used sold for $30,000-$32,000 new.

I have bought new trucks, driven them 10 years and 150,000 miles and gotten 1/2 my money back. The guy who buys if from me thinks he is getting a deal paying $12,000 for a truck I paid $24,000 for 10 years earlier. The problem is that I got 1/2 my money back, and he has the same amount of money in the truck that I had in it. And he gets to pay for all of the repairs.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
I wouldn't even consider buying a slightly used Toyota.
I am not a Toyota fan, don't hate them, don't really care.

But, people are stupid in their believe that a 100k mile vehicle is still "new".

If I was a buy new and often guy, Toyota would be my choice.
Folks will pay damn near new price for a used one.

Toyota, buy new.
Posted By: slip_sinker Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
If you had asked about Tundras I’d say buy new.
But with Tacomas, I’d probably take tikkanut’s advice and look for a low mileage ‘14 or ‘15 with the 4.0L.
Find an Off Road model with A-Trac and you’ll be set.
Just my opinion.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
You can usually buy new for close to the same price as 2 yr old if you shop well. I have rarely seen where situations where you come out better buying 2 yr old used vs new.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I have had 6 Tacomas over the years. I bought all of them new. The resale value is so high that you are better off buying new............

^^^^^This^^^^^
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

But, people are stupid in their believe that a 100k mile vehicle is still "new".

Toyota, buy new.

Good thing a lot of people don't take your advice, Nothing wrong with buying a used toyota if it is bought RIGHT and you can judge the trucks condition.
Posted By: Terryk Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
With new you get oil changes for first 20K, new tires, new brakes, and a warranty. I just got a 4runner, and I'll trade in 3 years with 50K miles and really not loose too much. Toyota is still a money suck, but depreciation is not like other trucks.
I was going to get a 4 door Tacoma, but that 3.5 engine is a downgrade to the older 4.0. I hear they always shift and lack torque. I had a V6 F150 like that, and I swore to never get a constant shifter. Apples and oranges, but that seems what people say on Toyota forums. Lot of trade ins due to the 3.5.
The 4.0 that I have in the 4runner is a V6 and it feels like a V6. It lacks torque but has HP when you slam it. I did have a 4.7 V8, and that was terrific, except it got 16 mpg in a first generation Tundra. The 4.0 gets about 25% more MPG in the 4runner.
If you want to go used, I would look for a deal on a 4.0 Tacoma.
Posted By: Terryk Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I really like my '14 shown here with new Cooper ST Maxx tires

One thing I had to have when I bought it was the 6 speed manual transmission

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great hunting rig,
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/13/18
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Toyota, buy new.

Good thing a lot of people don't take your advice, Nothing wrong with buying a used toyota if it is bought RIGHT and you can judge the trucks condition.

Read again, carefully.
One can't predict the deal someone may pull off.
One can't tell how much owning the truck from new is worth to another.

Saving $2k or less for a truck that has used up a bunch of its warranty, the tires are half shot,
I have no clue if maintenance was done or how it was driven? I'd buy new.

The numbers move. Maybe that 2 year old truck has 500 real miles and I believe the odometer.
The price saves me $5k. Well, that's different.

But, normally.......
Posted By: Dutch Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/13/18
I'll buy new, if it's in the budget and if it's a Toyota, but after it's been with me for a couple of years on the farm, there's no trading it in. They one I have now has dings in every panel, the tail gate is creased from the inside, front bumper is all scratched to heck, and there's seven pounds of dog hair under the seats. If I buy it, I drive it into the ground.
Posted By: tzone Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/13/18
Originally Posted by whelennut
I am thinking that this will outlast me, might as well get a new one.

That's what I was thinking. IF (i'm not) you're a guy that keeps rigs for a long time, I'd get a new one.
Posted By: battue Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/13/18
If going new you may want to wait a little....Your new one is going to take a bigger depreciation hit than in the recent past....

https://truckbe.com/2020-toyota-tacoma-redesign-release/
Posted By: Wrongside Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/13/18
I don't know about Minnesota, but around here Toyota trucks really hold their value. Shopping for a lightly used Tundra in 2015/2016, I eventually decided to just get a new one. I drive my vehicles into the ground and it's worth a couple thousand to me to start new and know the maintenance history.
Posted By: whelennut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18
Thanks!
Posted By: whelennut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18
Thanks!I
I. think I will buy a new one in 2020 and drive it into the ground.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18
Don't drive Toyotas, but when I was looking for a pickup last year, I first started looking for a one year old low mileage F-150. The prices they asked, if you could find one, were not much cheaper than a new one. I ended up buying a new truck, and haven't looked back.

The resale value on good clean pickups is still good, especially on the Toyotas and the Fords. Don't know about Chevy or GM because I've never owned one. On Dodges, you almost have to trade in one on another Dodge, as around here, the resale value is always lower than on anything else.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18

Ditto.............I'm not a pick-up owner, never have been, but have noticed Toyota depreciation is extremely hard enough to find on a dealer's used lot for 4runners and even more difficult for a tacoma pick up.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18
The last couple months I had an itch to replace my 08 Tundra. I started looking around at relatively new used trucks, and then looked at new trucks.
Buying new thru Toyota, with their financing deals they had going on made it a no brainer. .9% financing for 5 years or 1.9% for 6 years would have made buying a used truck stupid.
Posted By: jt402 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/14/18
I’m on my seventh Toyota since 2000. Two cars, two TUNDRAS, and three vans. The vans have all had 3.5 V6 engines. THE vans were traded at about 80,000 except I’m still driving a ‘13 with 53,000.

I recently had a bit of health issues. While I was in rehab, a transport service that took me to the doctors, used TOYOTA siennas similar to mine. I asked one driver how many miles were on his older versionn. He looked at the odometer and replied, 306,???. Makes me think that I have been wasting money.

I think that is basically the same engine that is in the Sienna van . Gears may make the Tacoma turn a few more rpms. Folks that I know with newer Tacoma’s and SUVs equipped with that engine swear by them. I’m thinking of downsizing to a Highlander.

Jack
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/15/18
A few issues to consider. I've had three Tacomas so know a little about them.

Value wise you might as well buy new because all said and done, you can usually get a brand new Tacoma for only 2-3 k more than a 2 year old used one since they hold their value so well.

Do you want the older 4.0 or the new POS 3.5? The 3.5 has higher peak hp, but less usable power where you're normally driving at. Also many of them are coming low on transmission fluid from the factory with that sealed unit. Also, they've been having issues with them and numerous TSBs have come out for them to flash or reprogram them.

The newest Tacoma is a better truck (truck itself, not counting the drivetrain). Smoother, quieter, nice ride. The older Tacoma has the better motor and won't piss you off with its stupid shifting and lack of bottom end power.

All said, I like my 4Runner more than any of the Tacomas or Tundra I've had
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/15/18

here's some read info on the newer 3.5L vs the older 4.0L

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3-5l-v6-vs-4-0l-v6.504174/
Posted By: valad Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/15/18
I have the 2006 Tacoma base 4x4 Access Cab. Its been a pretty good truck for 10 years. The past year I drove 16 miles to work one way so a year is around 10k miles plus whatever I do. So all in all I do not rack up the miles. This is my second Tacoma...first one was a Tacoma truck pre Tacoma and 4 banger. This one is a 4.0 V6. I seriously thought about trading up but my truck is a little beater now and two months ago I got a new frame...so it should last for a while. I doubt they'd give me the money to justify a Tacoma that is paid off and running free lol. I have read about the 3.5L compared to the 4.0 motor and saw that the 4Runners have the 4.0 motor. Not sure why they have different motors...maybe the 4Runner is going to follow suit later on. I determined I will have more use in a truck than a 4Runner for work etc. I think its those Fawking EPA guys who regulate and require Toyota to increase MPG yet the MPG sem the same among the Tacoma and 4Runners? Obviously guys are running Tacoma up hills anyway so the 3.5 will work. I think there is a tune you can do (and pay) to get a little more power. I am did my reaesrch and seem those Tacoma owners are mightly proud of their vehicles so it is worthwhile to buy new and like me keep it for a LONG time. I looked at the new Tacomas and they have the cheap skid plate and the front bumper is like 1 FT pass the oil cooler...maybe a tad less. Regardless those 4Runner guys are bashing the Tacomas with their 3.5L...so that should give you some entertainment reading :-)
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/15/18
The 4Runner has a more powerful version of the 4.0 compared to the Tacoma. They should have simply put it in the new Tacoma
Posted By: BountyHunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/19/18
Just had that question. I looked at the used Tundra 4x4 crew cabs. High $30-mid 40K for anything 1-4 years old. Saw a used 2017 Tundra loaded with 7000 miles and it was listed for $47K. They all have 3.91 gears and milage sucks. That is how toyota got them to pull like that. If you pull a big trailer daily then yes, otherwise no way.

I just bought a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 crew cab loaded with 5.3 motor and 3.42 gears for $46K. You can save more by getting one not as loaded. I got over $13K off sticker.

Used truck you pay 2x the interest rate and shorter term so high payments. I got 3.2% interest on the new one at my C/U.

Tundra gets 14-17 MPG. I get 17 in town, avg 22 on the road and have got 25.4 for 50 miles (it has a guage that tracks 50 mile intervals). Just did a 1000 mile seek long hunting trip in the NC/VA mountains deer hunting, lot of idling and up and down hills. Avg was 21.8 for the trip.

IMO no brainer buy the new., especially now that they are trying to sell the 2018s.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/21/18

^^^^^This^^^^^

Yes , this! But I don't know what the track record is of the current ones with the new engines.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/21/18
Originally Posted by JMR40

I'm not sure I'd buy the newer 2016+ Tacoma though. While I've not personally driven one I hear too many bad things about the new engine. I have a 2007 that has been great.

Many people ASSUME that they take a beating on depreciation the 1st few years. That is true of most cars and SUV's, but trucks hold their value much better. With trucks it is often a wash long term and you can come out better buying new.

Here is the mistake I see people make. They look at $50,000 stickers on new trucks and panic. They end up buying a 3-4 year old used truck for $25,000 and tell people they saved $25,000. The problem is that the $50,000 truck will actually sell for $40,000 and the $25,000 truck they bought used sold for $30,000-$32,000 new.

I have bought new trucks, driven them 10 years and 150,000 miles and gotten 1/2 my money back. The guy who buys if from me thinks he is getting a deal paying $12,000 for a truck I paid $24,000 for 10 years earlier. The problem is that I got 1/2 my money back, and he has the same amount of money in the truck that I had in it. And he gets to pay for all of the repairs.

Well maybe. Depends on if you finance it and how. You could end up paying $30K or more for the 24K truck if financed.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/21/18
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

^^^^^This^^^^^

Yes , this! But I don't know what the track record is of the current ones with the new engines.

Can't say what the track record of the new ones are either.
Posted By: Windfall Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/21/18
I don't think that the Toyota places cut the same lower priced deal that the domestic new vehicle lots do. End of the model year I was seeing 22-25% off msrp and today I just saw 30% on the remaining 2018's at a Chrysler, Ram place. That is the highest percentage I've ever seen off the new vehicle msrp sticker price.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/21/18
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don't think that the Toyota places cut the same lower priced deal that the domestic new vehicle lots do. End of the model year I was seeing 22-25% off msrp and today I just saw 30% on the remaining 2018's at a Chrysler, Ram place. That is the highest percentage I've ever seen off the new vehicle msrp sticker price.

They do not have the margin the domestic mfr's have .
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/22/18
Originally Posted by Windfall

They do not have the margin the domestic mfr's have .

Also, they don't have to discount them, they will sell them anyway. Have a friend who was a toyota dealer manager for many years.....until a ford dealership gave him a better offer. Can't blame him for following the money.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: New vs 2 years old - 12/24/18
I've come to the conclusion that trucks are like tractors. The only way to come out is to get a brand new one and use it forever or get a really old one and fix on it. Went through this same thing with one of my uncle's a couple of years ago when he was looking. He wanted a taco and told me he was gonna find a 2 year old low mileage one for 20k. I'm like no you won't but I'll ride with you anyway. They were wanting mid to high 20's for 4 year old ones with 70K on the clock. WOULD NOT BUDGE on the price more than a couple of hundred bucks. He figured he may as well spend 5 or 6k more and get a new one. I would not bother looking for a 2 year old one unless you think the new ones suck.
© 24hourcampfire