Home
Posted By: whelennut Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19
How about General Grabbers?
These are for a 2003 F150 with 146,000 miles.
Good for mud and snow?
Posted By: coobie Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19
I have had great luck with hankook dynapro ATM tires.Mine got great tread life and get around good in the mud and snow..
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19

Cooper ST Maxx

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19
Definitely the Coopers SST Max
Posted By: whelennut Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19
Thanks
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19

Utah 'Taco Tuff

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/17/19
What's the longevity like on Coopers these days. I started out with them in the early 90s, but could only get a couple years on them before they needed replaced. 1 vehicle only so drove it a lot. Great in snow though. When I went to a 50,0000 mile Cooper they were terrible in the snow. Many new styles since then though.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
Good snow tires and longevity don't go together very often.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
I just put a set of Goodyear Duratracs (285/60R20) on my 2018 F150 and they have bee great so far. Awesome this past hunting season on the Ivey roads here. A good friend that works the lil patch only puts them on his f350’s and gets good mileage out of them. I did go with an E rated tire on my truck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
The Dura Tracs are a good tire IF youdon't load them. They have softer side walls and will roll on curves when the truck is loaded up.The Coopers have more of a commercial side wall. A lot stiffer. Around here the Coopers are about $300 cheaper for a set of four ( E load range) vs th Goodyears
Or my wife loves the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on her Jeep. Have also been great on snow and ice....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The Dura Tracs are a good tire IF youdon't load them. They have softer side walls and will roll on curves when the truck is loaded up.The Coopers have more of a commercial side wall. A lot stiffer. Around here the Coopers are about $300 cheaper for a set of four ( E load range) vs th Goodyears

Correct they have a 2 ply side wall vs the 3 the cooper has but it depends on his loads. For a half ton I don’t think it’s a big deal. I have no issues with my tab in the back.

The Nittos are also very stiff with 3 ply side wall.
Posted By: sigguy Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
Another vote for Duratracs. They are great in mud and snow, and have worn reasonably well on my Tundra. I've had no issues with loading up the bed and/or towing a 6000 lb travel trailer, but IMO they do need to be run at 42 psi or so to avoid white knuckle situations up and down the mountains and squishy handling.
Posted By: DarlaG Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by whelennut
How about General Grabbers?
These are for a 2003 F150 with 146,000 miles.
Good for mud and snow?

whelennut,

I know ZILCH about the Grabbers but get excellent service on my cars/PUs with the KIRKLAND (the store brand) Mud & Snow tires from COSCO. = I got over 88,000 miles out of my last set for the M-B 300SDL.

yours, tex
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by sigguy
Another vote for Duratracs. They are great in mud and snow, and have worn reasonably well on my Tundra. I've had no issues with loading up the bed and/or towing a 6000 lb travel trailer, but IMO they do need to be run at 42 psi or so to avoid white knuckle situations up and down the mountains and squishy handling.

Do you really mean 42 PSI ? Are the C or D rated? I had E rated on my truck run at 75PSI. I was at about 16,000 #'s with truck, camper and 3 horse slant loaded.Made for some tight pucker a times.

Like posted for a 1/2 ton,probably no problem.
Posted By: sigguy Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/18/19
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by sigguy

Do you really mean 42 PSI ? Are the C or D rated? I had E rated on my truck run at 75PSI. I was at about 16,000 #'s with truck, camper and 3 horse slant loaded.Made for some tight pucker a times.

Like posted for a 1/2 ton,probably no problem.

Yes, that's what I run them at on the Tundra, which is of course a 1/2 ton. I think they are C rated, but don't have the truck close by at the moment to check. The OP was looking for a tire for an F150. Haven't ever used the Grabbers.

Even though I kept to the OEM size, I lost a mile or two of MPG's over the lighter, P rated OEM Michelins. I've been pretty happy with the D/T's. Nice ride, no balancing issues, not too loud, etc.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by coobie
I have had great luck with hankook dynapro ATM tires.Mine got great tread life and get around good in the mud and snow..

My experience with a set for two trucks mirrors coobie's.
This set is getting near replacement, and it's hard to go away from what works for you.
80,000+ miles is pretty good life considering how often I'm towing something.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/30/19
I live out on the gravel roads........... 80,000 miles seems like a dream. I am lucky to get 22,000 on anything I put on my 1/2 ton. The best have been Toyo tires. The worst have been Coopers.
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/30/19
I’ve had really good results with the Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W towing 8k on dirt and snow.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/30/19
Get yourself to the public library and check out one of the last April Auto issues of Consumer Reports. They rate tires every year for that issue including light truck tires.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 01/31/19
I think they’d be ok in snow. I think the right tread is not the best for mud. Take a look at discount tire at the Falken Wild Peak AT’s.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/06/19
You couldn't give me another Cooper tire...
Posted By: 5spd Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/07/19
After looking for a new set and having heart failure at name brands cost of $1400-$1800 for a set of 4 I went online searching for a tire that fit my needs without being overpriced.
Centennial tire, 265/70/17D to replace the junk street tires on my f150 that I kept having flats on as they are "weak" for off roading or running 2 tracks and the ranches I drive on.
I have 6000 miles on them and they are just perfect for what I do, mud & snow fling out of them, like any other tire on ice you need to be more careful.
Bought 5 tires, paid $730 shipped to my house & then $110 for mounting & lifetime balance, had them within 4 days.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Richd Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/10/19
I’m running a set of the Falken AT3W’s on my 17 Tundra TRD Pro and have been very happy with them in their first 15k of use. They are quiet and have handled well in the rain, snow and even the mud that I’ve been in at deer camp. I’m running E rated tires and a slightly larger size than stock. I lost about 2 mpg from the stock Michelin’s but fully expected that due to the increased weight and more aggressive tread pattern. I do tow often but not heavy(3-4K) and the 10 plys do make a noticeable difference when towing(for the better).
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/21/19
I'm TOTALLY sold on the original BFG Mud Terrain KM.........not the new junk KM2. Only comes in 255/75/17. But that's a fit on any half ton that'll wear 17" rims. Not overly loud......but if you wanna go ANY FREAKIN PLACE, the hum is a small price to pay.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/21/19
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I'm TOTALLY sold on the original BFG Mud Terrain KM.........not the new junk KM2. Only comes in 255/75/17. But that's a fit on any half ton that'll wear 17" rims. Not overly loud......but if you wanna go ANY FREAKIN PLACE, the hum is a small price to pay.

I ran those for a while on my taco, back when they were $100 per tire after the rubicon started running them. Excellent tire. Bigly.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 02/21/19
Originally Posted by SeanD
Originally Posted by Yoder409

I ran those for a while on my taco, back when they were $100 per tire after the rubicon started running them. Excellent tire. Bigly.

Yeah.........sadly they ain't 100 bucks anymore. But, STILL about the best go-any where, long-wearing tire going.
Posted By: Shoot2hunt Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/06/19
I like BFG's KO2 on my Tacoma, you can run them low in mud or snow or everage terrain I usually run them 25-29 for a soft ride, had them for 3 seasons and still 50% life, lots of logging roads in Western BC
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/06/19
A soft tread is good traction on ice, and snow, but will wear faster. I am looking at the Goodyear Adventure tire. I
Posted By: duckster Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/07/19
We have had about 30 inches of snow here in the last 3 weeks (which is quite a bit for our area) and what cracks me up is the guys with 4wd that are spinning about without the 4wd engaged. These are probably some of the same guys you hear bitching about one brand of tire or the other.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/17/19

These are an excellent tire for most guys that spend 95% of their time on pavement. Excellent wet traction, really long life, very quiet, very stable under heavy loads. I had them on my F150, we pull a 9k 5th wheel with it quite a bit, I'm really missing the excellent towing manners those Hankooks had. I replaced mine at 65k for some more aggressive tires, won't be doing that again.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/18/19
For my tundra, I run 275/70/18 10 ply BFG AT's....And will continue to put them on any truck I own...
Posted By: K1500 Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by 2five7

These are an excellent tire for most guys that spend 95% of their time on pavement. Excellent wet traction, really long life, very quiet, very stable under heavy loads. I had them on my F150, we pull a 9k 5th wheel with it quite a bit, I'm really missing the excellent towing manners those Hankooks had. I replaced mine at 65k for some more aggressive tires, won't be doing that again.

What did you put on that was more aggressive?
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/18/19
I have had good luck with general grabbers
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/19/19
Have a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51s on my F150, They are great in mud and snow. Not going to be a high mileage tire though
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 03/24/19
I have the same tires on my 4x4 2014 eco boost super crew cab and 1 1/2 inch leveling kit. I only have about 3-4000 miles on them. They are my spring/summer tires. They do fine for most conditions but they do not compare to a true winter tire. I use Cooper M/S studded tire for winter (Alaska) 6 months of winter every year.
If I knew how to post pictures I would.
Erich
Posted By: GoForBroke Re: Tires for 1/2 ton - 04/18/19
I haven't used them yet but I've heard great things about the Firestone Destination MT's. Supposed to be great in snow and mud. Better than most MT's on ice. And wear very well.
© 24hourcampfire