Home
Posted By: Reba 4Runner Models????? - 05/06/19
I believe there are about 5 different 4Runner models and I am finding it confusing.

I would be looking for the best model that would work best off road.

Which model should I look at?
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/07/19
TRD Pro for best off road stuff without doing any mods yourself. I have the TRD Off Road, no complaints about it at all.
Posted By: handwerk Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/08/19
Yep the TRD would be the rig you want, we have a limited and although a nice ride, it's not set up for off- roading like the TRD is.
Posted By: Terryk Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/08/19
I have the SR5 premium, and I never get close to getting stuck in the snow and back roads. I don''t climb rocks, so for me it is good enough. I have chains, and never put them on, and it was a bad winter. It has different traction modes and downhill assist. It does not have lockers.
The stock tires, dunlop I think, are not rated well for off road, but they seemed great to me. I will get premium tires when these burn up, so it should be even better I guess.
Posted By: Berksbowman Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/16/19
I'm going to pick up my 2019 4Runner today. Do your research. The Trd pro is really overpriced for what you get. I went with the Trd off-road premium with the kdss upgrade.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/16/19

Originally Posted by Berksbowman
I went with the Trd off-road premium with the kdss upgrade.

What I have as well. KDSS is nice. Off road benefits as well as on road. Much less body roll in the turns.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/24/19
Originally Posted by Reba
I believe there are about 5 different 4Runner models and I am finding it confusing.

I would be looking for the best model that would work best off road.

Which model should I look at?

First gen 1985 with solid axle and rear locker. Limited slip in front.. Lift with 33's..
Posted By: whelennut Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/27/19
Reba
The TRD Off Road gets you the most capable vehicle for the money. The PRO is a little flashier but it is priced accordingly. If you can afford a flashy new truck why not.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/28/19
How about an earlier used one with a few warts and moles on it so you can flog it without worrying about striping the paint on it on the first oak branch that you go under? I've had old trucks and I've had new trucks and I had a lot more off road fun with an old one when the rig had some wear on it. A winch gets you out of near anything better than an expensive high tech 4wd system. There is a pampered Platinum F-150 in my garage right now that doesn't get out stump jumping like 'Ol Blue did.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: 4Runner Models????? - 05/31/19
2016 Trail for me. Off road can imply a lot of different terrain requirements. I think having the correct tires and shock upgrades for your intended purpose and appropriate lighting like Baja LED lights will serve you well.
Posted By: carlm Re: 4Runner Models????? - 06/01/19
Picked up my 2019 4Runner TRhttps://trail4runner.com/2018/01/04/5th-gen-4runner-performance-mods/D Premium with the KDSS yesterday. I can afford the PRO, but was looking for an on/off road vehicle. It’s going back to the dealer for step bars, clear bra, window tinting, and a tire swap (Nittos). Ordered a Pedal Commander. I see a steel front bumper, winch, and maybe a roof rack in the near future. Let the modding fun begin!

https://trail4runner.com/2018/01/04/5th-gen-4runner-performance-mods/
© 24hourcampfire