Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/12/19
Front lockout hubs/bearings for Dodge 2500. Dynatrac Spin-Free is $300 more money. Are they worth the extra? I'm not in the market yet but my pickup has 120k and the Dodge bearings are know to fail sooner or later.
Posted By: badger Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/13/19
297k on my ‘03 when I sold it, never a wheel bearing problem. 127k on my ‘14, and no issues. Had to replace a rear hub seal on the ‘14 a few weeks ago though.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/13/19
Google "2009 dodge ram wheel bearing replacement" and you'll find quite a few other Dodge owners who haven't had your luck.
I've never seen the innards on one but from what I've gathered, the inner and outer bearings have very little space between them so any leverage on the spindle can easily twist it. These lockout kits move the bearings farther apart which greatly increases the force needed to twist the spindle.
A friend of mine put a kit in his '04 2500. He said he gained 2 mpg and vastly improved the steering when the hubs aren't locked. It greatly reduces the wear on the front driveline because they aren't turning all the time.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/13/19
1998, 2500,150K miles here. About the only thing I have not had a problem with are the front wheels bearings.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/13/19
I’m going with the Dynatrac on my 98 12 valve. They’re built really tough and don’t stick out as far
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/14/19
There's one problem with locking hubs. I have a Dodge diesel which of course is quite heavy on the front end. There are lots of times that it's just a bit too slick or gravely to get moving, especially with a trailer, and it's sure handy to switch the dash knob to 4x4 and just drive away rather than getting out to lock the hubs.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/15/19
Originally Posted by badger
297k on my ‘03 when I sold it, never a wheel bearing problem. 127k on my ‘14, and no issues. Had to replace a rear hub seal on the ‘14 a few weeks ago though.

I replaced my 06 wheel bearings when I did ball joints at around 150K. Not terribly difficult, and pretty cheap. Current truck (08) is around 160K with no issues. Can't see going dynatrac or spyntec. If your bearings are going, I'd throw a name brand set of replacement bearings in, but that's just me.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/23/19
I did the spyntek (sp) on my 2012 because I did not want the front end spinning all the time. Did pick up a few MPG and it does steer better. Installed them myself and took about 6 hours or so.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/24/19
Been researching the Spyntec since you posted this and they seem to be a great option
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/24/19
http://spyntec.com/00-15_dodge_spyntec_overview/
Posted By: snarpezal Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 05/28/19
Put spyntec shorties on my 2004.5, 2500 , 4 yrs ago, no problems so far. Installed them myself, with new ujoints, carli balljoints, synergy steering, Thuren adjustable track bar, Dodge boys box brace, and a new Dodge front driveshaft.
Nice when backing my horse trailer in tight places. I mostly leave them turned in when the weather is snowy. I didn't pick up any mpg, but I have 4:10 gears.

Craig
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 09/16/19
Originally Posted by snarpezal
Put spyntec shorties on my 2004.5, 2500 , 4 yrs ago, no problems so far. Installed them myself, with new ujoints, carli balljoints, synergy steering, Thuren adjustable track bar, Dodge boys box brace, and a new Dodge front driveshaft.
Nice when backing my horse trailer in tight places. I mostly leave them turned in when the weather is snowy. I didn't pick up any mpg, but I have 4:10 gears.

Craig

How often do you repack your bearings?
Posted By: Billc Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 09/19/19
Have the spyntec on a 2009 dodge. As other folks have said. Advantage is front drive train isn't turning all the time. It frees up the steering,and got 2 miles more mpg. I grease and repack every 20k. But it is used for pulling a load most of the time. Quick and easy job. Another advantage with the hubs,with a manual 4wd shift. You can use 4lo in 2wd ,and that comes in handy sometimes,backing a trailer In a tight spot.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 10/13/19
$1550 is a lot for what you get.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 01/14/20
Just repacked my bearings on my spyntecs for the first time. Couple of hours and not hard at all.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 01/15/20
I went with Dynatrac on my 06, made a huge difference.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Dynatrac vs Spyntec - 01/16/20
No worries, the yoda boys will be here shortly to tell you which is best. As soon as they figure out what you're talking about. (laughing)
© 24hourcampfire