Home
Posted By: sactoller For the rock crawler guys!!! - 12/31/19
That was awesome sactoller, thanks for posting. Bring back many great memories. My first time through I was a very young boy and my dad had an M38A1 jeep. We did the Rubicon every year for close to 20 yrs.
We have taken clunkers through that were twins of the CJ5, and had many of the same issues. Getting that Truck through was a small miracle, I have only seen a couple attempts in full size trucks and the damage was extensive and the all turned around at the top of the big sluice box.

In the later years we had built jeeps and it was much more fun and less work.

Think I will head out there next year and hook up with old jeeping buddies, this time I will take my SxS should be easy.

Thanks again...
Been thru there a few times. Not since 95 though.

Went thru there in a truck just like that one, pops 79 GMC. Also my 78 Ford Ranger Explorer, The Urban Cowboy Special. Much better tires, suspension and full skidplates.

Killed a deer not to far from Cadillac hill back in the late 80's.

Good times back then. None of the fly by wire stuff of today.
We started on the Rubicon in 1983...did it every years for 23 years, sometimes twice. I miss the old school, but the JK's are very capable and more comfortable!

I have 2012 JKU...built but not overbuilt, I'm still old school.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My 71 CJ5 built like our first 68 CJ5...

My current project, 69 CJ6 this one will get back to the Rubicon
Posted By: cwh2 Re: For the rock crawler guys!!! - 01/02/20
Jeepin is a good time.

Didn't watch the whole video, but I can't imagine tackling that in a 3 speed!
Awesome video! Makes me want to get my Dad’s old 77 gmc jimmy going again. Maybe not for the Rubicon though.....
Originally Posted by cwh2
Jeepin is a good time.

Didn't watch the whole video, but I can't imagine tackling that in a 3 speed!

We did it for years with a 3 spd. If your gearing is right, not an issue at all.
Posted By: tdbob Re: For the rock crawler guys!!! - 01/06/20
Thanks for posting that. I haven't been on the Rubicon in many years. I laughed seeing the oil trail.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: For the rock crawler guys!!! - 01/07/20
Originally Posted by sactoller

We did it for years with a 3 spd. If your gearing is right, not an issue at all.

Fair enough. My experience with Jeep 3 speeds is limited to crazy high stock gearing.

But of course, making it work is half the fun.
My current CJ6 has a Turbo 400 and 4:56 gears, locked on both ends. It should do pretty well, but I still would like 4:88's.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: For the rock crawler guys!!! - 01/14/20
Sounds like it would work perfectly with the auto. My offroad Toyota has 5.29s, but I still occasionally wish they were lower.
Originally Posted by cwh2
Sounds like it would work perfectly with the auto. My offroad Toyota has 5.29s, but I still occasionally wish they were lower.

Sigh, there are always times I have wished for lower! eek
Fun to watch. Crazy tackling that in a full size truck. I wouldn't take my little Toyota through there, even though it's set up well with lockers, winch and all the goodies. They don't make em anymore!
© 24hourcampfire