Home
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Jeep CJ-7 - 03/19/20
This one is Low Mileage 6cyl engine. Among the CJ's from Jeep where are they ranked? TIA

Actually not sure what year it is.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/22/20
What transmission? The 5 speed with the 6cyl was the best Jeep motor/ transmission combo IMHO, and I've had/driven a few different combos.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/22/20
TX270 He had it flat bedded to his home yesterday and it will be delivered to a guy that specializes in restores on Monday. It is a 6 cyl manual transmission.1986 model. It needs brakes and a master cylinder for starters. It has 39 264 on the Odometer.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/22/20
An 1986 CJ7 could possibly have a Dana 44 rear differential, they put them on some models of that year. If so it is one of the better CJ7. I had an 1984 with the T5 5-speed. It was a smooth transmission and shifted well but not known to be very strong. The best transmission that was put in a CJ7 was a Tremac 4-speed, it was much stronger than the 5-speed.
Posted By: yobuck Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by VaHunter
An 1986 CJ7 could possibly have a Dana 44 rear differential, they put them on some models of that year. If so it is one of the better CJ7. I had an 1984 with the T5 5-speed. It was a smooth transmission and shifted well but not known to be very strong. The best transmission that was put in a CJ7 was a Tremac 4-speed, it was much stronger than the 5-speed.

As good as the T18?

Posted By: desertoakie Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/22/20
Originally Posted by yobuck

As good as the T18?

Nope, T-18s are fairly bullet-proof. The Tremac 4 speed trans is known as the T-176 and I believe was only offered in CJs in 1980-1981. An easy was to tell if you have a T-176 compared to the delicate T-4 4 speed, is that the 176 has a straight shift shaft, whereas the T4 (or T5 or SR4) trans have bends to the shifter shaft.

I believe all 1986 CJs had Dana 44 rears.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/23/20

As good as the T18?

No, I forgot about the T18 used in the late 1970's CJ7. My mind was thinking about the 1980 to 1986 models. Those Jeep T18 were rare and many people use an adaptor from Novak or Advance to install a Ford T18, Muncey SM420, GM465.
Posted By: bluedot Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/23/20
86 cj7 was a great year overall, I've had mine since 1989. they had a few options but the bulk were 4.2 liter, t5 tranny, AMC 20 rear end, with the dana 300 transfer case.

The motor is super strong, low horsepower but high torque. The transfer case, dana 300 is strong and quiet. rear diff. is reasonably strong just remember to keep the nuts tight on the 2 piece axle.

In my opinion the only truly weak link was the T5 tranny, runs great for a long time then starts to have problems with the synchro. swapped mine out for a NP435 with granny low, great swap, fairly easy, I bought a swap over kit from Lloyd Novak, pretty straight forward swap and a truly tough transmission.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/23/20
My brother dropped it off today. I am thinking the motor is toast because it was stored too long without running it in a rusty environment
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/23/20
If you need a tranny, look to a Mustang GT,
Or just look for a T5 World Class.
Gearing is similar, but the tranny is much stronger.

They made several variations of T5's, and installed them in Jeep, GM, and
Ford vehicles.
Posted By: Judman Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My brother dropped it off today. I am thinking the motor is toast because it was stored too long without running it in a rusty environment

You gonna trip it oldelkhunter?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/25/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

You gonna trip it oldelkhunter?

Not mine to trip and my brother has no plans on tripping it either, A late friend willed it to him.
Posted By: Judman Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/25/20
Copy any pics?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/25/20
I drove an ‘84 around for a while. Loved it!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/26/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Judman Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/26/20
Nice clean little jeep. Nice gift for your brother
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/26/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Nice clean little jeep. Nice gift for your brother

Its going to need some work, the exterior and interior are in good shape.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/30/20
86 is the last of the CJ's, they are good, lots of extra parts for them. They were extremely hampered of the horsepower because of all the emission crap. With the right deletes can be a good runner.

Most had 3:73's, a good upgrade for better usability would be 4:56 or 4:88, makes it a much better all around performer. Some E-lockers and there is almost no place one couldn't go.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/30/20
Originally Posted by sactoller
86 is the last of the CJ's, they are good, lots of extra parts for them. They were extremely hampered of the horsepower because of all the emission crap. With the right deletes can be a good runner.

Most had 3:73's, a good upgrade for better usability would be 4:56 or 4:88, makes it a much better all around performer. Some E-lockers and there is almost no place one couldn't go.

I think he will replace everything that doesn't work for the moment , I do not think he will mess with gearing. I think restore to close to pristine if what he said was true. He has a guy working on it that specializes in really nice restores.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 03/30/20
I saw a buddy I hadn’t seen in a while the other day and he was driving an 86 Laredo. Was a coworkers dad’s, he’d bought it new and rarely drove it, has less than 40k on the ticker. I had no idea CJs could be had with options like cruise and A/C, guess this one was top of the line.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/02/20
Have a 86. J7 with 4.2 6cyl,4.0 heads ,molar fuel injection kit, arb front and rear lockers, great jeep
Posted By: tx270 Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by desertoakie

As good as the T18?

Nope, T-18s are fairly bullet-proof. The Tremac 4 speed trans is known as the T-176 and I believe was only offered in CJs in 1980-1981. An easy was to tell if you have a T-176 compared to the delicate T-4 4 speed, is that the 176 has a straight shift shaft, whereas the T4 (or T5 or SR4) trans have bends to the shifter shaft.

I believe all 1986 CJs had Dana 44 rears.

Both my current CJ's have the T-176.

Nice rig oldelkhunter
Posted By: RDW Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/07/20
Did a tune-up on a CJ7 a while back...

...it was fun around town and county roads running a fully rebuilt, cammed and fuel injected 258, T-177 and 3.55's but not on the highway running 70+.

If I ever ventured back to baby Jeeps it would be a CJ on a TDK CJ/TJ hybrid frame and no less than a 5.3/4L60 or a TJ with a 5.3/4L60.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: sactoller Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/08/20
Nice job on the rebuild!

Bummer that someone spray painted your license plate! crazy (since we don't have roll eyes!)
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/12/20
Originally Posted by RDW

...it was fun around town and county roads running a fully rebuilt, cammed and fuel injected 258, T-177 and 3.55's but not on the highway running 70+.

If I ever ventured back to baby Jeeps it would be a CJ on a TDK CJ/TJ hybrid frame and no less than a 5.3/4L60 or a TJ with a 5.3/4L60.

Going to forward those photos to my brother. Great PICS. Thanks
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/16/20
Back in the 70's I had a couple CJ5s with the 304s in them. I did a couple engine swaps for guys. 2 of them we pulled the 304 and put the 401 in them and the other I pulled the 304 and dropped a SB350 in it. After I got older I realized that I had built some road kill machines but at the time we knew how to drive those little jeeps with out ending up dead somewhere. If I was going to build another jeep it would be a late 70's CJ7 with a SB in it either a 350 or 400 with an auto trans in it.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Jeep CJ-7 - 04/16/20
Originally Posted by RDW

Sick looking rig.

x2 on the 5.3. Have a buddy that did this with a CJ. Used the aluminum L33.
© 24hourcampfire