Home

I got the 6.5 foot bed so I can put a camper in it, and ... it’s A TRUCK... so I haul stuff in the bed vs. people in a Crew Cab smile

So far I put the TRD dual exhaust on it... Tyger fo-sliders, and CoverKing seat covers.

Next comes the Console safe, TRD swaybars (front & back), TRD skid plate, and Air-rite helpers...
Then small stuff, electric tailgate lock, wireless charging tray, and I’ll order a ARE cap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice truck. I have a '19 Cavalry Blue Limited double cab. Just turned over 8k miles.

[Linked Image]
What's the cargo weight rating on that?
and why call a pickup with a 6.5 foot bed, a 'TRUCK'?......
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I call mine a grocery getter.
Wheelbarrel..8foot or nothing.
Because crew cabs have 5 to 5.5 foot beds... even with the tailgate down. You can’t get 8 ft out of them

Just for clarity - many crew max cab guy don’t like double cabs.... so I just answered the question for them
Virtually all of the guys with 8' beds stick a tool box in the bed effectively limiting the bed to 6' anyway. I don't need any extra storage with my 5.5' bed truck with a crew cab so I get the full 5.5' With the tailgate down I'm 2' shy of 8'. I don't have any trouble hauling plywood or lumber up to 12'. If I need to haul anything bigger I have a trailer I can put more volume and weight in the trailer than I could get in the bed of an 8' 3/4 ton truck. It's easier to load and even my little Tacoma can easily pull it.

Not knocking bigger trucks, my next one may be a 3/4 ton. But for now I need the full size rear seat and don't want the longer wheelbase of a crew cab and a longer bed. And I've not had to leave anything behind so far due to the smaller bed.
They come up with these configurations because of demand. That's what the buyers need and will buy. There are lots of us who need an 8' bed but many more get by just fine with a shorter one. I have the long bed in addition to a quad cab so my pickup is long and often clumsy. But, it meets my needs and I'm will to drive a long one.
We have a Dodge but when we were shopping for one in '12, the local Toyota dealer had a 4 door, long bed Tundra that we really liked. They said that they'd had it a while and wouldn't get any more because long beds wouldn't sell. But, they sure weren't willing to deal.

Hunts needs a real truck in his daily use

Here's one with an 8' bed & 4x4 & stick

Prob rides like a Dodge though.......... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I’m not sure they make truck campers with a 5 ft bottom footprint - but they do make them with a 6.5 foot base... so there ya go.

I wanted the option to put a camper back there, and I do end up hauling around tons of equipment and materials for the property management stuff we do...

I tried to do it with my Double Cab Tacoma with a 5 ft bed, so the extra bed is all good.
And someone will probably be along to tell you it's not a 3/4 ton.

Nice truck. I had a 2005 Tundra doublecab, now have a 2013 doublecab. Fits my uses for a pickup.
I love my 14 tundra. I bought a 26 foot coachman, easy.
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Wheelbarrel..

What dat?
I really like my new to me '17 Tundra. I have the 4 door with the 6.5' bed, it's just what I needed. Liked everything about it til I went to change the oil one day last week. Brought home a couple gallons of super slick oil and a filter. Drove it up on some blocks in the shop, dropped the old oil in a pan without spilling one drop, that's a first. Rolled around under it for a couple minutes looking for the filter........? Looked on the topside........? Went in to the you-tube. Found it! Pulled the skid plate off, no luck getting my strap wrench on the housing. Off to the parts store 15 miles away to pick up a handy little Pennzoil filter wrench built for the job. Stripped out the 3/8 drive hole in it without so much as budging the housing. Then couldn't get the handy little Pennzoil filter wrench off the housing and proceeded to punch a hole in the side of the housing. Off to the parts store again to see if they had a new housing and possibly another handy Pennzoil filter wrench. Nope. Drove another 30 miles to the big town, Omaha, and found what I needed. Back home and back to the youtube. Lots of intel on stuck oil filter housings for the Tundra, apparently not one of Toyotas best design ideas. Tapped around on the housing base with a long skinny piece of wood and on one of the fins on the side of it and finally did break it loose. The new handy little Pennzoil filter wrench worked well, they especially work well when the housing isn't put on with several hundred ft/lbs of torque. Replaced the housing, skid plate, and 2 gallons of oil. Ran it for a while and let it sit for an hour or so whilst cleaning up the shop. Checked the oil and it was still about 3/4 of a quart low, topped that off and was back on the road again.

The first time I changed the oil on my '10 Taco I spent a few minutes rolling around under it looking for the filter with no luck. Went topside and found the thing staring at me right next to my right hand. I said to myself, "self, what a brilliant design." This was my very first Toyota pickup and I thought these guys really got it together making life easier for the guy who likes to change his own oil. The design of this Tundra oil filter system is definitely a step back.

yea.......what was Toyota thinking ?

The 2nd Gen Tacoma V6 is sooo easy......

Now this....bought this replacement kit for my '11 GX 460 (4.6L) $58

You can also buy just the housing for $20 to have a spare if you don't need the wrench

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Originally Posted by MikeL2
And someone will probably be along to tell you it's not a 3/4 ton.

Well it isn't.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

yea.......what was Toyota thinking ?

The 2nd Gen Tacoma V6 is sooo easy......

Now this....bought this replacement kit for my '11 GX 460 (4.6L) $58

You can also buy just the housing for $20 to have a spare if you don't need the wrench

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

A filter kit for my Toyota Highlander is cheaper than a spin on but it takes longer to change. I have to remove a plastic mud shield to get at it.

yea........they just want you to take your vehicle back to the stealership for service

the Lexus GX 460 I mentioned the same thing..remove skid plate to access filter housing
That stupid sheet metal 'skid plate' is my biggest gripe in changing oil on my 2020 Tundra. One of these days I'll do the hole saw modification and give myself an access hole.

I like the housing with the drain cap to drain the filter before removing the filter. That part has worked slick for me on this truck as well as a 2007 Camry my wife used to drive.
This is a nice piece. Also installed Bilstein 6120/5160 and coachbuilder shackle on mine. I have and do haul around 1700 or so pounds in my doublecab.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/tun-07-01-rci-metalworks-2007-tundra-front-skid-plate.html
4Runner has the same silly filter. Mine was not hard to do the first time, but it does take longer, and there is no good reason for the design.
Well maybe more guys get pissed and just take it to the dealer, that is the reason.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
That stupid sheet metal 'skid plate' is my biggest gripe in changing oil on my 2020 Tundra. One of these days I'll do the hole saw modification and give myself an access hole.

I like the housing with the drain cap to drain the filter before removing the filter. That part has worked slick for me on this truck as well as a 2007 Camry my wife used to drive.

At least your's is steel. Mine's plastic. But, the Highlander wasn't intended for much off road stuff.
Originally Posted by Terryk
4Runner has the same silly filter. Mine was not hard to do the first time, but it does take longer, and there is no good reason for the design.
Well maybe more guys get pissed and just take it to the dealer, that is the reason.

for me......its only an annual chore at 9-10K miles

might feel better changing filter at 5K though

GX 460 with the 4.6L holds 8.2 qts

Hey Cheesy - I didn’t know you got one, Congrats - **. This is the last year of the Tundra as we know it they are changing up big time for 2021.

The oil filter change is half the reason I made the change to the TRD plate (It has the access hole in it)... the rest is the cheapo skip (actually scrape, not good for much more) plate that it comes with.

Thank you.

I just traded my 13 Tundra Crewmax in for a 3/4 ton PICKUP because at 6 MPH and a 22 gallon usable gas tank pulling my toyhauler, I had to know where every gas station was. But I really liked my Tundra, can't say anything bad about it other than the fuel consumption and size of fuel tank.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Hey Cheesy - I didn’t know you got one, Congrats - **. This is the last year of the Tundra as we know it they are changing up big time for 2021.

The oil filter change is half the reason I made the change to the TRD plate (It has the access hole in it)... the rest is the cheapo skip (actually scrape, not good for much more) plate that it comes with.

Bought a crewmax last fall. One of the reasons I went with Toyota was the 'old design'. The truck forums and facebook forums are filled with guys bashing them for being old. Out of date. No technology like the Big 3. That is exactly why I bought mine. Tried and true. Parts availability. Salvage availability. Aftermarket availability.
Congrats on your new truck, Spot. My '16 Tundra has been great. Aiming for another 10-15 years out of it.

Personally, I like the Toyota filter setup. Especially after getting the tool to drain the housing before unscrewing it. Motivx? Also, a Fumoto valve is a Gamechanger for the big old 5.7. Pair those with the TRD skidplates and you're set for no mess oil & filter in 10 mins.
Nice trucks just can't put a snow plow on them with the avoidance system behind the Toyota emblem in the center of the grill.
Originally Posted by Jim2914
Nice trucks just can't put a snow plow on them with the avoidance system behind the Toyota emblem in the center of the grill.
The one on the Highlander can be turned off with a dash button as it can't be used with a trailer either. I don't know about the Tundra.
Originally Posted by BluMtn

Thank you.

I just traded my 13 Tundra Crewmax in for a 3/4 ton PICKUP because at 6 MPH and a 22 gallon usable gas tank pulling my toyhauler, I had to know where every gas station was. But I really liked my Tundra, can't say anything bad about it other than the fuel consumption and size of fuel tank.

Small tanks and half-ton towing suck. When you fill up somewhere in SD and are looking at the gps for the next gas station before you pull out, you know you are in trouble. But 1/2 tons ride nice and are better than driving a car, plus they do most non-HD outdoors activities fairly well. At least you can sleep in a 6.5’ bed as opposed to the stupid sub 6 foot beds that seem so popular.
My old Tundra had the small tank, and that was one of my biggest gripes. Worse I hate to run below a 1/4 tank, so I was at the gas station twice a week. I drive 25K a year, so tank size was a big deal. Larger tanks come as part of an option package.
The Tundra's biggest market is suburbia. Their capability isn't used as they're bought for grocery and golf club haulers. They don't need the big gas tank or some of the stuff that outdoorsmen or working men consider essential. They've never made a 3/4 ton or a big diesel just for that reason. Their prime clientele wouldn't buy those options.
My 2020 Tundra has a 38 gallon tank. Not sure if that is standard or not. Fuel light comes on and it takes 32 gallons to fill it up.

Well my Chevy Duramax has a 6&1/2 ft bed that I haul a 1500 pound camper in and pull a 3 horse slant with 2 mules, hay,water, all elk hunting gear and total weight is right at 17,000. I'd say it qualifies as a truck. I sold my 22 ft flat bed tri axle gooseneck today which I hauled 15 3x3's this week, but still have a 14 ft dump trailer to haul stuff in.
My last truck a 98 Dodge also had a 6. 5 bed in it and I never lacked for hauling capabilities either
These 6.5 beds are pretty handy when towing a 20-22 ft gooseneck getting into places and turning around.Got to watch though ,Dodge cut their short bed down to 6'-3"

Toyota doesn't make a heavy duty truck though of course.
My comment was totally in agreement of not being 'heavy-duty' enough to deserve of the word 'truck' being typed in all caps. All lowercase letters would be more like it......
My 2020 Tundra has a 38 gallon tank. Not sure if that is standard or not. Fuel light comes on and it takes 32 gallons to fill it up.

The smaller tank is ~26 gallons, and the light comes on with ~6 gallons left.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Nice truck. I have a '19 Cavalry Blue Limited double cab. Just turned over 8k miles.

[Linked Image]

That's my next truck...same color but non-TRD.
I'm hoping a few of my stock investments pay for it, time will tell.
My comment was totally in agreement of not being 'heavy-duty' enough to deserve of the word 'truck' being typed in all caps. All lowercase letters would be more like it......

I’d say RAM’s were trucks if they didn’t rust out so bad, and have major issues with their fuel pumps smile

The Tundra isn’t a heavy duty beast, but doesn’t break down, and has plenty of power... but I’ll give you the fact the axles could be heavier... I grew up with Fords on the Farm... back then I only classified the Power wagon’s as worth a second look.

Bought a crewmax last fall. One of the reasons I went with Toyota was the 'old design'. The truck forums and facebook forums are filled with guys bashing them for being old. Out of date. No technology like the Big 3. That is exactly why I bought mine. Tried and true. Parts availability. Salvage availability. Aftermarket availability.

+1

And the fact it can go over 200k without having to loose sleep over it breaking down. smile
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play.

The gas mileage is not great, especially when towing, but not significantly worse than my 2014 F150 I traded. I loved the Fords in every way except reliability. Hopefully, the Toyota is better. So far, I like mine.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play..

You could probably work a trade with your dealer to swap that dual exhaust for a standard single on another crewmax they’re selling. I think that’s like a $1300 option.
$1,300 for that?!!!! That's crazy. Mine is a TRD Pro and I think it should be the factory exhaust so I didn't realize people pay that kind of money for it. I'm surprised the government let's them spec something that loud or maybe they're piping the noise inside through the speaker system or something? It seems Ford or someone was doing that awhile back on some models.

My dad always asks if I'm riding a Harley when I call him now, and his hearing is worse than mine so it must be loud.
A few other thoughts regarding the Tundra: the reach to the dash is fairly long (i.e. tuning the radio), fewer bells and whistles than a comparable model Ford (though may not need that stuff); mine rides really well over rough roads. I suspect the ride is because of the TRD Pro suspension and the factory TRD 18" wheels and tires. My last Ford Lariat had 20s. I have no idea why it is popular to put such big wheels on new 4x4s. The smaller rims with more sidewall should ride better offroad. The only reason for big rims I can think of is to clear bigger brakes and I think the 18s clear just fine. Based on the reliability friends and family get with them, including farm and oilfield use, I suspect mine will go a long time given what I do with it.
I too bought a Tundra in the last few weeks but not the double cab. Mine is whatever has the shorter bed and four full doors. My only complaint so far is the TRD exhaust is surprisingly loud for a factory exhaust. it can be heard by the other party when talking on the phone using Apple Car play.

The gas mileage is not great, especially when towing, but not significantly worse than my 2014 F150 I traded. I loved the Fords in every way except reliability. Hopefully, the Toyota is better. So far, I like mine.

What color did you get?

I bought a fairly stock truck and put what I wanted on it.

Due to the COVID thing they had all the parts on sale, with free shipping.

What I’ve done to my truck so far

TRD Dual Exhaust
Tyger running boards
CoverKing Seat covers
Console Vault
Wireless phone charger tray
Line-X bed liner
Elec. tailgate lock
ARE cap (on the way)
TRD front & rear sway bars
TRD skip plate
Bed D-rings
Air-rite helper air suspension in the back

I will be putting tow mirrors on it soon...
and I plan on getting some bed stiffeners
Very nice Spotshooter! I have a 2016 TRD, just turned 55555 miles on it. This truck was my retirement present to myself after driving beater work trucks for 40 years! LOL! Totally enjoy it.

What color did you get?

Mine is green. I now have 6,000 miles and seem to be averaging about 1 mpg better than my Ford. One impressive thing I've learned is these have super heavy differential for a 1/2 ton. I think the rear is a 10.75" ring gear in a third-member. I haven't climbed under the front to see if it's a third-member but I've read the front is I believe a 9". The rear is the equivalent of a Dana 70 or 14 bolt at least in ring gear size.
Mine is green. I now have 6,000 miles and seem to be averaging about 1 mpg better than my Ford. One impressive thing I've learned is these have super heavy differential for a 1/2 ton. I think the rear is a 10.75" ring gear in a third-member. I haven't climbed under the front to see if it's a third-member but I've read the front is I believe a 9". The rear is the equivalent of a Dana 70 or 14 bolt at least in ring gear size.

I am also a Tundra owner. A 2017 with 5.7. First and only owner.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the ring size or comparison to old diffs. The Tundra is a good 1/2-ton truck, but I wouldn't get too caught up in the various claims. The one that cracks me up the most is the rear diff ratio. This doesn't mean much unless you consider the transmission and transfer case ratios, however dudes like to compare it to the the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios of years past. This is silly.
The only other trucks I know of with a rear ring gear that big are 3/4 tons. As for gearing, which is a a different discussion altogether, my 4.30 rear gears with low first gear in the transmission makes for a really short first gear. Though, 6th is pretty high, which takes the truck to around 2,000 rpm at 75 like most other trucks today.
Correction, rear is 10.5”
Nice looking truck Spothooter.
I bought pretty muck the same truck in March. Other than mine having the blacked out emblems, they look identical.
I added a Leer canopy and a rubber bed may and have been enjoying it for 6K miles now.
Tows my boat real nice and comfortable for daily driving, so whats not to love?

I’m picking up my ARE Z series topper on Monday.

I put bed stiffeners in the back, and have a elec. tailgate lock, and topper lock - so all good !!
The configuration of my 2000 Tundra V-8 4x4 extra cab with 6-1/2' bed and Lifetime work shell is perfect for my use. I love this truck. Plenty of power for towing my 25' Mako or 20' cargo trailer. Smooth and quiet as a luxury car. Comfortable ride. I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and LandCruiser 4x4's and this is the best of the bunch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

How’s the gas mileage on the 2020 Tundra?
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Just about as bad as the older one I had.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Mixed driving I’m showing 15.X on the lie-o-meter with 18k on the clock. Straight highway runs with speeds under 70 can go a bit more.
17mpg if you leave the stock Michelin ATX tires on, if you put AT KO2’s expect 14-15 mpg

You go from 28lbs per tire to 44 ish.
I'm averaging 15 MPG with BFG KO2's and a front leveling kit (mileage dropped 1 MPG after leveling).
17mpg if you leave the stock Michelin ATX tires on, if you put AT KO2’s expect 14-15 mpg

You go from 28lbs per tire to 44 ish.

This. I lost an easy 2 MPG's going from the stock Michelins to stock-size Goodyear Duratracs. I love the tires but they are like 49 lbs each.
My mileage actually went up when I took the OEM tires off, and replaced them with Nitto EXO (load range E). But, it also went from low-30 PSI to mid-40 PSI.
I enjoyed owning my 2013 Tundra 5.7 4x4 for almost 4 years. In the end traded it off as it was more car like than truck. Dependable, quick, mpg was on par with with what I get in my 2019 F250 Super Duty 6.2 crew cab 4x4.
Put 800-1000 pounds in the bed of the Tundra and it would sag like a 85 year old farmers face.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I call mine a grocery getter.

grin
Just put a deposit on a new 2020 Tundra earlier today. Dealer trade so won't be in until next week. Doublecab, SR5, SR5 upgrade package (includes 38 gal tank and power bucket seat), TRD off road pkg. This will be my third Tundra.
Just put a deposit on a new 2020 Tundra earlier today. Dealer trade so won't be in until next week. Doublecab, SR5, SR5 upgrade package (includes 38 gal tank and power bucket seat), TRD off road pkg. This will be my third Tundra.

What color?

What color?

"Magnetic gray metallic"
Hope you don't plan on towing anything with it, because Toyoda removed the transmission oil cooler starting with the 2019 model!

Even though the window sticker still says you have a transmission oil cooler, you don't have one!

Oh what a feeling, being broke down on the side of the road! What were they thinking? Next time, make the smart choice in trucks and buy a FORD!
^^^^

🤡🤡🤡

What color?

"Magnetic gray metallic"

You’ll need the 38 gal tank . Lol
Originally Posted by walt501
Hope you don't plan on towing anything with it, because Toyoda removed the transmission oil cooler starting with the 2019 model!

Even though the window sticker still says you have a transmission oil cooler, you don't have one!

Oh what a feeling, being broke down on the side of the road! What were they thinking? Next time, make the smart choice in trucks and buy a FORD!

Get a Ford and be on the hind tit....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/5-reasons-the-toyota-tundra-is-better-than-the-ford-f-150/
For you current Tundra owners......what does the door jam sticker state for weight capacity?
Second last planned change on the truck...

Real off road tires - I put on BFG AT KO2’s...

The Michelin LTX AT2’s that came on the truck when new were grate on the road (really grip in the rain), but off road they would slip on wet grass .. OMG

[Linked Image]
What kind of mileage hit did you take when you switched out the tires?
About 1 mpg but a lot of that is effected on how I drive, and I have started driving a bit more aggressive now that the engine is broken in.

Apparently that’s only when I’m in stop and go traffic... on they highway there is almost no difference.
All summer I was getting 16.5-17.8 mpg. Thinking the winter gas mix must have kicked in or something as I am now down around 14 for last few trips. Kind of sucks as I like 17 way better. Breaking 100,000 in a week or so, no issues.

What color?

"Magnetic gray metallic"

Same truck I got, love it.
Originally Posted by 30338
All summer I was getting 16.5-17.8 mpg. Thinking the winter gas mix must have kicked in or something as I am now down around 14 for last few trips. Kind of sucks as I like 17 way better. Breaking 100,000 in a week or so, no issues.

Yeah. Winter mix always leads to a noticeable drop in economy here too. It’d be interesting to know the reasons/chemistry behind it.
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by 30338

Yeah. Winter mix always leads to a noticeable drop in economy here too. It’d be interesting to know the reasons/chemistry behind it.

summer vs winter mix gas short version: winter mix has higher vapor pressure to evaporate faster for better starting, the chemistry to do that results in lower energy content, so decreased fuel mileage.
© 24hourcampfire