Home
Posted By: nealglen37 Federal fusion - 06/30/20
I would also like to know if anyone has used federal fusion on elk?
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Federal fusion - 06/30/20
Daughter has killed 2 bulls and 1 cow with 308 150 grain fusions. Two of them made short deaths runs. 1 woke up dead from the nap he was taking.
Posted By: nealglen37 Re: Federal fusion - 06/30/20
What kind of penetration did you get? Thanks
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by nealglen37

I'd say enough.
Posted By: nealglen37 Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
llol true
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by nealglen37
I caught two of the 150 gr. .30-06 in deer this past season. Both broadside shots through the shoulders. Bullets under hide on off side expanded nearly to the base. They seem pretty soft to me, expand to large diameter and don't offer a lot of penetration.
Posted By: Terry_M Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
Packed one cow out that was shot with 178 Federal Fusions from 300WSM. She was very much dead. 100ish yds. Complete pass through.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
I built a rifle for a guy who killed a really big grizzly with a 150gr 300WSM. He also shot a caribou with the same load and had no complaints.
Posted By: jac3k Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
I shot a 150gr fusion from a 30-06 through two whitetail does, they were side by side. The bullet went through both of them.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
I have shot through two mule deer with said bullets of the 150 grain variety out of a 30-06.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
I have shot through two mule deer with said bullets of the 150 grain variety out of a 30-06.
Where did you hit them and how far away were they ? Mine were 50 yards give or take and like I said they were shot through both
shoulders. It doesn't take much to shoot through the lung cavity of a deer and the further away you are the less the bullet expands and the deeper it penetrates.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Federal fusion - 07/01/20
Sectional density may come into play with these, as well as impact velocity, because in my limited experience they don't lose much weight, just keep expanding. I've tried to figure out whether Speer/Federal use caliber-specific or use-specific jacket thicknesses, but I haven't been able to discover that yet.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Federal fusion - 07/02/20

I shot a BIG muley buck, 90 yards head on. Found the bullet under the skin inside the butt. Didn't exit, but went the entire length. He stumbled for about 5 yards and nose dived.
Posted By: memtb Re: Federal fusion - 07/02/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
I built a rifle for a guy who killed a really big grizzly with a 150gr 300WSM. He also shot a caribou with the same load and had no complaints.

I’m going “out on a limb” here, but, when they fail on a grizzly......you may not hear from him again! whistle memtb
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Federal fusion - 07/03/20
Blackheart, both were shot right behind the shoulder and both were shot at about 70-80 yards and both dropped at the shot, not a single step.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Federal fusion - 07/03/20
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Blackheart, both were shot right behind the shoulder and both were shot at about 70-80 yards and both dropped at the shot, not a single step.

Yep, I shot a couple behind the shoulder that went through too. Have done the same with ordinary 55 gr. SP's out of a 223. Doesn't take much.
Posted By: Skatchewan Re: Federal fusion - 07/03/20

Here is a big bull shot with a 150 grain from a .270

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVVYb0NJTTQ
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Federal fusion - 07/09/20
Five Roosevelt cow elk with 5 shots with the Fusion 140 gr out of a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Haven't recovered a bullet yet and nothing went very far after the hit.
Posted By: Judman Re: Federal fusion - 07/09/20
I like fusion bullets, great performance on deer/elk
Posted By: WAM Re: Federal fusion - 07/09/20
Only critter I’ve seen shot with a Fusion was a big mule with a huge exit wound. But if Judman sez they are good, I’m good with it. Happy Trails
© 24hourcampfire