Home
Posted By: scoony Maryland Elk - 10/11/20
Yup! Maryland Elk aka Sika Deer. Brother talked us into hunting them this year with archery on the Eastern Shore. Son managed to stick one. The deer came past me and I saw where it laid down about 60 yards from me just out of sight due to the vegetation. We gave him an hour, and sure enough, he was right where I thought he was. Not sure how this stag compares, only ever saw one other and that was at the taxidermist where we dropped the cape off. We hunted 3 days and this was the only sika we saw while in the stands. There were bugling like crazy so it was pretty cool getting to hear that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Maryland Elk - 10/11/20
Pretty cool!
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Maryland Elk - 10/11/20
Nice job, I've always wanted to try for them sika deer.

I remember a few years ago the RMEF wanted to stock elk in western Md. but the landowners rejected the idea.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Maryland Elk - 10/11/20
That's a nice stag. They're some of the most tender and tasty meat too. Well done!
Posted By: moosemike Re: Maryland Elk - 10/11/20
Cool!
Posted By: MAC Re: Maryland Elk - 10/14/20
I used to hunt them in VA on Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Hunted right up against the MD line. They fun to hunt and good on the table.
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Maryland Elk - 10/14/20
Very nice
Posted By: Judman Re: Maryland Elk - 10/14/20
Cool little deer right there. Grats
Posted By: Scotty Re: Maryland Elk - 10/14/20
Congratulations.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Maryland Elk - 10/21/20
Congrats! I've only seen them on a driven hunt in Arnsberg, near Moehne Dam/Möhnesee, Germany, an area you will probably know from the movie "Dam Busters". Once they were kept in captivity but during or shortly after WWII the fence was damaged by fallen trees after a storm and lots of them escaped and the population exploded because they are not very easy to hunt. When are spooked/scared off they tend to pack which makes it almost impossible to place a shot without wounding others than the one you aimed at. But with the help of trained dogs the hunters managed to seperate them so they could be shot.
© 24hourcampfire