Home
Posted By: Bugger out of state elk permit - 02/08/21
What is the best state for non resident permits for elk?
I've been applying in NM, no luck. That last time in WY, no luck. I'm getting long in the tooth and am frustrated about not getting elk tags. Trying to get an elk tag in SD is a joke! I've gotten one in my lifetime that was about 25-30 years ago.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: out of state elk permit - 02/08/21
Idaho has plenty of OTC tags, especially in the north half of the state. Many units have quotas on non-res tags so you have to start early.
Posted By: TheKid Re: out of state elk permit - 02/08/21
I apply at Walmart in CO and draw a bull tag every time. Takes about 15 minutes and $700. Finding a legal bull isn’t nearly as easy but it does happen.
Posted By: wytex Re: out of state elk permit - 02/08/21
You need preference points for Wyoming.
Reduced price cow tags are a random draw though.
Colorado has OTC licenses, enjoy the orange army though.
Posted By: beretzs Re: out of state elk permit - 02/08/21
Originally Posted by wytex
You need preference points for Wyoming.
Reduced price cow tags are a random draw though.
Colorado has OTC licenses, enjoy the orange army though.

The reduced cow/calf hunt in Wyoming is darned good.

3 points last year for a general tag. Not sure if you have any points or a buddy that has points but that’s a good way to fly.
Idaho is reducing their number of non res tags to prevent overcrowding or non res to resident ratios. They also raised prices.

If you hunt north half of Idaho be prepared to see an invasion of Washington folks. Elk number here are also signifigantly down and seasons have accordingly been shortened. When i was a kid here the place was crawling with elk. Now they mostly hang around private property.
Posted By: CBB Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
Got drawn in MT in '17 on my first try

In '18 missed in thw first round and got pulled on a 2nd round of draws..

Haven't applied since
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Idaho is reducing their number of non res tags to prevent overcrowding or non res to resident ratios. They also raised prices.

If you hunt north half of Idaho be prepared to see an invasion of Washington folks. Elk number here are also signifigantly down and seasons have accordingly been shortened. When i was a kid here the place was crawling with elk. Now they mostly hang around private property.

In short, they've become wolf bait.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
NM. It’s largely a landowner tag if you’re a non resident and want to elk hunt.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
Lots of unknown's here. I draw at least two non-resident tags every year. And kill an elk almost every year so I am not putting any for junk units. I will bet your putting in for units that have high success rates, or have very large bulls available. Drawing in those units require lots of points. Sometimes 20 or more. "Go Hunt" provides and excellent tool for gauging tag draw success and hunting success in most states that offer elk hunting. In other words a little time is required before you apply. I have hunted Idaho, for almost 30 years and will not go back. The last two times, were in areas i have hunted in the past, which are now overrun with hunters, and low elk counts. Nevada, Washington, Arizona and N,M all have long wait times. Do some research, tags are available if you just want to hunt. Premium tags take a longggggggggggggggggggg time to draw.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Lots of unknown's here. I draw at least two non-resident tags every year. And kill an elk almost every year so I am not putting any for junk units. I will bet your putting in for units that have high success rates, or have very large bulls available. Drawing in those units require lots of points. Sometimes 20 or more. "Go Hunt" provides and excellent tool for gauging tag draw success and hunting success in most states that offer elk hunting. In other words a little time is required before you apply. I have hunted Idaho, for almost 30 years and will not go back. The last two times, were in areas i have hunted in the past, which are now overrun with hunters, and low elk counts. Nevada, Washington, Arizona and N,M all have long wait times. Do some research, tags are available if you just want to hunt. Premium tags take a longggggggggggggggggggg time to draw.

Tell us a little more about this site GO HUNT, please. Do you have to be a member of it to use it? I found it and am interested in your thoughts on it. Thanks
Posted By: wytex Re: out of state elk permit - 02/09/21
General elk hunting in Wyoming is good and trophy type bulls can be had for the work.. LQ without a doubt can be much better but general elk license in Wyoming gets you hunting and a chance at a nice bulls almost anywhere in the state.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: out of state elk permit - 02/10/21
You can browse GO Hunt without paying a fee. Its essentially a great data base, for the wester states, you can search by species, by state or unit. % of success, chance of drawing, a general narrative on hunting within the unit. Take a look its a tremendous. resource.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: out of state elk permit - 02/10/21
Originally Posted by elkmen1
You can browse GO Hunt without paying a fee. Its essentially a great data base, for the wester states, you can search by species, by state or unit. % of success, chance of drawing, a general narrative on hunting within the unit. Take a look its a tremendous. resource.

Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire