Home

Colorado now requires elk from certain areas be tested for CWD.

https://www.cpr.org/2021/02/27/colorados-mandatory-chronic-wasting-disease-testing-now-includes-elk/
I shot a mule deer near Meeker in 2018 that was in the required deer testing area (Unit 12) and it tested positive for CWD, second one from the ranch (ColoWyo Coal co.) that year. The meat was disposed of in a landfill and CDOW refunded my butchering costs ($150, basic cut, no special cut refunds such as sausage, hamburger and jerky). I'm glad they had the mandatory testing. My outfitter said CDOW used to refund the tag costs, in my case, they did not

in 2019, I shot an elk in Saratoga, Wyoming, Fish and Game had a biologist at the butcher shop taking CWD samples, she asked if she could take the samples so I'm assuming the testing was voluntary. I'm glad they provided free testing, the elk was negative for CWD.

Well, that’s going to be a pain in the bazaki.......
I’ve had my deer and elk tested regularly since 2006. No positives so far, although 2 bucks were tested positive for 2 of our group 3 years ago. My wife won’t eat it unless tested. So be it. Happy Trails
Where I hunt, they are requiring testing for every season except third. Don't understand why no third season testing, but that is the way it is. GMU 12, 13,24 Colorado.
Unfortunately it seems to be spreading through Texas in the deer populations also.
© 24hourcampfire