Home
Posted By: MarineHawk What Is This Dead Animal? - 05/25/21
Last week out of my property in central Colorado, my girl:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

... found this in the forest just below that meadow:

Is it an elk? I assume so, but I'm not entirely certain. So, I was seeking input. Someone told me he thought it was a lope, but I don't think so. For perspective, the antlers are about 2 feet long. I don't know when it died, but it was recent enough that one of the upper and lower leg bones were still connected by the tendon.

My neighbor saw over 150 elk on the front meadow on my property, further below that meadow, back in January when I wasn't there, and there are literally thousands of elk rubs on Aspens in another area just next to that meadow. There are several acres of Aspens where literally every tree has an elk rub on it. I've seen a lot of elk rubs on my property before, but never that many.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 05/25/21

Spike Elk, Rio7
Pronghorn have a thicker darker base and stem.

Looks like a spike elk to me.
Interesting that the bones aren't more scattered.
Originally Posted by RIO7

Spike Elk, Rio7

Yup.
Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Agree about the bones. There are mountain lions out there. I assume that may be the culprit, but I'm not sure.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 05/25/21

Hard to tell from the picture but, looking the lower jaw bone and nose of the skull, i would rule out Lion,Lions almost always eat the nose off a elk first, can't remember seeing a lion kill that had a nose left. Rio7
Spike elk. I'd go with a wounded animal that didn't make it through the winter. Either illegally shot/wounded in the fall hunt, wounded in rutting games, or just tripped on some steps getting into Air Force One. A mountain lion would have dragged the pieces in different places. Looks like it's been ravaged by coyotes.
There's two nice knife handles laying there!

Hard to tell from the picture but, looking the lower jaw bone and nose of the skull, i would rule out Lion,Lions almost always eat the nose off a elk first, can't remember seeing a lion kill that had a nose left. Rio7

Makes sense. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Spike elk. I'd go with a wounded animal that didn't make it through the winter. Either illegally shot/wounded in the fall hunt, wounded in rutting games, or just tripped on some steps getting into Air Force One. A mountain lion would have dragged the pieces in different places. Looks like it's been ravaged by coyotes.

Thanks for the good laugh.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
There's two nice knife handles laying there!

Good idea. I'll let my boys (14 & 17) decide. They said they wanted it on one of their walls, but they also are into knife making.
Spike elk!
Posted By: MAC Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 05/27/21
Check the skull to see if the ivories are still there.
Originally Posted by MAC
Check the skull to see if the ivories are still there.

They are.

Posted By: Brad Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 05/28/21
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Is it an elk?

Nope - it's a rare Double Unicorn. Only found in Colorado.
Dude, you be grillin' indoors? People do that in Chicago...in a place called the projects.
Dude, you be grillin' indoors? People do that in Chicago...in a place called the projects.

Yeah, I'm pretty ghetto.

It's the stove in my fancy remote "Chalet" on my property.

With all five screened windows and the door open, it's a non-issue. Also, I rarely turn a gas grill above 200 deg. Low and slow for me. So, it doesn't put out any significant smoke.

The liquor selection and ammo collection makes up for everything. You must be a little farther west than I am. The mountains are closer to you, than at my place.
The liquor selection and ammo collection makes up for everything. You must be a little farther west than I am. The mountains are closer to you, than at my place.

Thanks. The Pendleton 20-year is pretty sweet. I've added a few bottles since that pic, including a Woodford Double-Barrel and some 15-yr Whistle Pig my brother got me. The Capt' Morgan's is my hunting partner's. I'm not into that, except in the most-extreme emergency. The ammo: that's turkey loads and 9mm. Also got a lot of .375 Wby; 10mm; 40 S&W; etc. ... I keep a segment of my arsenal at my uncle's in the Denver metro so that I can fly out and hunt/shoot without lugging the weapons sometimes.

My fiancé enjoyed her first ever trip to the Rockies last week.

Just sent you a PM. Are you still on Colorado?
Reply sent.
Posted By: LouisB Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 06/02/21
Is that Cumbres and Toltec tracks down in the valley?
Grill, ammo, wine and spirits, If ya had some explosives you would have had a full complement!

NICE view from up there.
If you are talking last pic, no it is not train tracks. he is just west of Denver in that pic....... You may have heard of Red Rocks amphitheater?
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 06/03/21
Cool camp house. 😊
Posted By: T_Inman Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 06/03/21
Break a femur, humerus or other bigger bone open and look at the marrow. If it is pure white, almost a chalky white then it was a winter kill or maybe killed by a predator after being significantly weakened by the winter. if there's any red or pinkish to it, that is a sign it was "healthy" when it died, so either a lion, a bullet, a car or something like that likely killed it.
It can be tough to tell, depending on how old it is and the conditions it laid out in during the winter. Winter killed critters generally have zero color to the bone marrow IME. This was an elk mandible, skull and backbone/ribs that I found spring bear hunting last year. It has a faint amount of pink to the marrow. The skull had the antlers sawed off and so was the spine, with all leg bones nowhere to be found so it was obviously a hunter killed elk and I suspect just from the previous fall.
Bovine
'Hawk, loving the new addition to your family !

grin
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If you are talking last pic, no it is not train tracks. he is just west of Denver in that pic....... You may have heard of Red Rocks amphitheater?

Correct. Sorry, I've been absent.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Cool camp house. 😊

Thanks.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 06/10/21
Thanks guys. That's what I figured.

Agree about the bones. There are mountain lions out there. I assume that may be the culprit, but I'm not sure.

Yep. They go in and eat the liver, then cover the prey with a layer of leaves in case they return to feed.
Cool pics
Posted By: Sycamore Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 06/23/21

Spike Elk, Rio7

yep
Brad knows his Colorado Unicorns.

Originally Posted by Brad

Is it an elk?

Nope - it's a rare Double Unicorn. Only found in Colorado.

Jordan is impressive…..as usual.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Spike Elk, Rio7

Yup.

Another 243 lost animal?

Originally Posted by Sycamore

Spike Elk, Rio7

yep

Posted By: MS9x56 Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 08/17/21
Capn Morgans is good for cleansing wounds.
Posted By: hookeye Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 08/17/21
6.5 manbun wound im guessin.
Flat biller miscounted clicks
Posted By: KC Re: What Is This Dead Animal? - 08/18/21

I think it's a chupacabra. Looks pretty devilsh to me.

Spike Elk, Rio7

This
© 24hourcampfire